Hey, Vanguard has hired me! [Payment for taking survey]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Hey, Vanguard has hired me! [Payment for taking survey]

Postby mickeyd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Yea it's only a PT job (30 minutes) and I didn't even have to take a drug test to get the job! I wonder if the sequester had anything to do with my new employment. Wish me luck.


Vanguard Flagship Services® is committed to providing you with the highest quality of products, services, and experiences. As part of that effort, we're currently conducting an important survey. The information you provide will help us create products and services that better meet your investing needs.

The survey should take about 30 minutes to complete. Clients who complete the survey by Wednesday, March 20 will receive a $25 thank-you for taking time to assist us.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
User avatar
mickeyd
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of South Texas

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby WHL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm

How do I get in on this? :)
WHL
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby greenspam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

WHL wrote:How do I get in on this? :)


just have over a million bucks in your VG acct.... get Flagship status...

funny, they pay the Flagship clients $25 to take the survey, and expect us Voyager clients to take the survey pro bono:

from their email to me:

"Vanguard is continuously working to improve its products and services. In this regard, we are interested in your opinions about Vanguard overall. The information that you provide will assist us in understanding how investors view Vanguard and how we can improve. To that end, we would appreciate your participation in a brief survey. The survey should take less than ten minutes to complete."

the rich get richer, the poor get poorer...
Last edited by greenspam on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
as always, | peace, | greenie.
User avatar
greenspam
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:36 pm
Location: east coast

"Anything for a dollar."

Postby Taylor Larimore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

mickeyd

Please tell them I am available.

My dad started diaper service in Miami. I worked in the washroom.

Our motto: "We'll put our hands into anything for a dollar." :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 20090
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby Flobes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey too. Last year, Vanguard twice "hired" me to spend an hour or so looking at new web interfaces and concepts.

First call paid $150. They said I was very helpful, would I do another? You betcha! Second paid $100.

Greenie: I was a mere Voyager...
User avatar
Flobes
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby JDaniels » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 pm

$50 per hour rate. Not bad :D
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."
User avatar
JDaniels
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby trudy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:49 pm

How am I missing out on this :-)

Well, at least they sent me a free Vanguard logo blanket awhile ago.
Last edited by trudy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trudy
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: "Anything for a dollar."

Postby EmergDoc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Our motto: "We'll put our hands into anything for a dollar." :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor


I could use that motto in the Emergency Room. :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
User avatar
EmergDoc
 
Posts: 10081
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby momar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 pm

I took a survey once because VG said they would send me a $10 Amazon gift card. I never got the gift card.

I guess I might have thrown it out as junk mail.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
User avatar
momar
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby hicabob » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 pm

JDaniels wrote:$50 per hour rate. Not bad :D

tax-free I assume?
hicabob
 
Posts: 1737
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby trudy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 pm

hicabob wrote:
JDaniels wrote:$50 per hour rate. Not bad :D

tax-free I assume?


I'm guessing this is self-employment and so below the reporting threshold. :-)
trudy
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby mickeyd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Turns out that the "$25 thank you" is an online coupon for Amazon that will be sent in a few weeks. I was looking for cold hard cash but DW will use the coupon as she purchases stuff from them all of the time. Me, not so much.
Last edited by mickeyd on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
User avatar
mickeyd
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart of South Texas

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby Boglenaut » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:35 pm

mickeyd wrote:Yea it's only a PT job (30 minutes) and I didn't even have to take a drug test to get the job! I wonder if the sequester had anything to do with my new employment. Wish me luck.


Vanguard Flagship Services® is committed to providing you with the highest quality of products, services, and experiences. As part of that effort, we're currently conducting an important survey. The information you provide will help us create products and services that better meet your investing needs.

The survey should take about 30 minutes to complete. Clients who complete the survey by Wednesday, March 20 will receive a $25 thank-you for taking time to assist us.



I only got $10 when I did one!
User avatar
Boglenaut
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby Boglenaut » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

momar wrote:I took a survey once because VG said they would send me a $10 Amazon gift card. I never got the gift card.

I guess I might have thrown it out as junk mail.


I think it came via e-mail.
User avatar
Boglenaut
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: "Anything for a dollar."

Postby woof755 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:mickeyd

Please tell them I am available.

My dad started diaper service in Miami. I worked in the washroom.

Our motto: "We'll put our hands into anything for a dollar." :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor


:D

I'm a gastroenterologist. Talk about "...into anything for a dollar"!!!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
User avatar
woof755
 
Posts: 3005
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby stemikger » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 pm

greenspam wrote:
WHL wrote:How do I get in on this? :)


just have over a million bucks in your VG acct.... get Flagship status...

funny, they pay the Flagship clients $25 to take the survey, and expect us Voyager clients to take the survey pro bono:

from their email to me:

"Vanguard is continuously working to improve its products and services. In this regard, we are interested in your opinions about Vanguard overall. The information that you provide will assist us in understanding how investors view Vanguard and how we can improve. To that end, we would appreciate your participation in a brief survey. The survey should take less than ten minutes to complete."

the rich get richer, the poor get poorer...


Dude you got rippied off. Not to one up you, but, I took a 30 minute survey last year where I had a marketing guy ask me questions in real time. They paid me $50 or $100 I don't remember. I was surprised how fast the check came. It was also pretty fun.
Stay the Course!
stemikger
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 am

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby Christine_NM » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Just got a phone call on this. As Flagship I get a $25 Amazon credit for doing the survey. Looks like the March 20 deadline wasn't firm.
Savor the moment.
User avatar
Christine_NM
 
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:13 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby Cuzz35 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm

I took one of these surveys and after 10 questions it was over. Got a message that I wasn't the type of person they were looking to get feedback from.
Cuzz35
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Rome, GA

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby david99 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

I took a survey last year and got a $10 gift card from Amazon via email. I guess that Vanguard's rates have gone up --- that's a pretty good pay increase from six months ago.
david99
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:56 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby exoilman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I don't do surveys. I figure I'm surveyed everytime I'm on the internet. :happy

Sam
exoilman
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:38 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby protagonist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:27 pm

greenspam wrote:
WHL wrote:How do I get in on this? :)


just have over a million bucks in your VG acct.... get Flagship status...

funny, they pay the Flagship clients $25 to take the survey, and expect us Voyager clients to take the survey pro bono:

from their email to me:

"Vanguard is continuously working to improve its products and services. In this regard, we are interested in your opinions about Vanguard overall. The information that you provide will assist us in understanding how investors view Vanguard and how we can improve. To that end, we would appreciate your participation in a brief survey. The survey should take less than ten minutes to complete."

the rich get richer, the poor get poorer...


IMHO, that's creepy. It's like the old days in some hospitals where I worked, where doctors got to eat for free in the plush doctors' dining room, and everybody else, including unpaid hospital volunteers, had to buy their food in the cafeteria.
protagonist
 
Posts: 2390
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby EmergDoc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

protagonist wrote:
IMHO, that's creepy. It's like the old days in some hospitals where I worked, where doctors got to eat for free in the plush doctors' dining room, and everybody else, including unpaid hospital volunteers, had to buy their food in the cafeteria.


It's not just in the old days. As long as patients are coming to the hospital to see doctors (and there is more than one hospital in town) the trend is likely to continue. You know how much money a hospital loses when an active surgeon decides to go down the street to do his cases? It's a little more than lunch money. If a lab worker, a nurse, or an x-ray tech goes down the street it doesn't really affect the hospital's bottom line much.

Now why they feed the radiologists, emergency docs and hospitalists is beyond me, but I'll take it while I can get it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
User avatar
EmergDoc
 
Posts: 10081
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby protagonist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:48 pm

EmergDoc wrote:
protagonist wrote:
IMHO, that's creepy. It's like the old days in some hospitals where I worked, where doctors got to eat for free in the plush doctors' dining room, and everybody else, including unpaid hospital volunteers, had to buy their food in the cafeteria.


It's not just in the old days. As long as patients are coming to the hospital to see doctors (and there is more than one hospital in town) the trend is likely to continue. You know how much money a hospital loses when an active surgeon decides to go down the street to do his cases? It's a little more than lunch money. If a lab worker, a nurse, or an x-ray tech goes down the street it doesn't really affect the hospital's bottom line much.

Now why they feed the radiologists, emergency docs and hospitalists is beyond me, but I'll take it while I can get it.


You can make the same argument for Vanguard's policy of paying the people with million dollar accounts to do surveys they don't pay less fortunate investors for. The fact that it helps their bottom line does not make it any less creepy. As a retired physician, both policies backfire on me by putting me off. But maybe I am in the minority.
protagonist
 
Posts: 2390
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby kitteh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Cuzz35 wrote:I took one of these surveys and after 10 questions it was over. Got a message that I wasn't the type of person they were looking to get feedback from.


Wunderground had a survey and the first or second question was about age. I answered and it exited! Nice way to let older people know where they stand.
kitteh
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby minesweep » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

mickeyd wrote:Turns out that the "$25 thank you" is an online coupon for Amazon that will be sent in a few weeks. I was looking for cold hard cash but DW will use the coupon as she purchases stuff from them all of the time. Me, not so much.

I received the Amazon $25 coupon (via email) about a week after taking the survey.

Mike
minesweep
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby minesweep » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm

david99 wrote:I took a survey last year and got a $10 gift card from Amazon via email. I guess that Vanguard's rates have gone up --- that's a pretty good pay increase from six months ago.

Time is money. The $25 survey was a longer survey.

Mike
minesweep
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby Khanmots » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm

protagonist wrote:You can make the same argument for Vanguard's policy of paying the people with million dollar accounts to do surveys they don't pay less fortunate investors for. The fact that it helps their bottom line does not make it any less creepy. As a retired physician, both policies backfire on me by putting me off. But maybe I am in the minority.

I'm not sure that they are. I did a survey from them last year for $25 or some such and am a rather small fish who doesn't even qualify for Voyager services. From what I remember they had multiple surveys going on at that time that paid different rates. That may be what it is here; too small of a sample set to say one way or the other IMO.
Khanmots
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby ElJay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

I recently received a $25 survey offer from a firm named "Lieberman Research Worldwide." They insinuated that at the end of the survey they would tell me which "major financial services company" was sponsoring the study, but instead on the final page of the survey they asked me to email them to get this disclosure. I did not want my name and address associated with my responses so I declined the compensation (although since they had my email address they may also already have this information.) From a couple of questions I felt like it was sponsored by a retail bank, probably HSBC or Key Bank. Vanguard was amongst the many financial firms they were quizzing me on.
User avatar
ElJay
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby abuss368 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

They must be cutting fees again! I did this months ago and received $100 for a web conference call!

It was a great experience!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
User avatar
abuss368
 
Posts: 6565
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: At the Beach


Return to Personal Consumer Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Birdie55, coldaudio, dthorne, hudson, Johno, Rupert, Tanelorn and 54 guests