Hey, Vanguard has hired me! [Payment for taking survey]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Hey, Vanguard has hired me! [Payment for taking survey]

Postby mickeyd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Yea it's only a PT job (30 minutes) and I didn't even have to take a drug test to get the job! I wonder if the sequester had anything to do with my new employment. Wish me luck.

Vanguard Flagship Services® is committed to providing you with the highest quality of products, services, and experiences. As part of that effort, we're currently conducting an important survey. The information you provide will help us create products and services that better meet your investing needs.

The survey should take about 30 minutes to complete. Clients who complete the survey by Wednesday, March 20 will receive a $25 thank-you for taking time to assist us.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Re: Hey, Vanguard has hired me!

Postby WHL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm

How do I get in on this? :)
WHL

Postby greenspam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

WHL wrote:How do I get in on this? :)

just have over a million bucks in your VG acct.... get Flagship status...

funny, they pay the Flagship clients $25 to take the survey, and expect us Voyager clients to take the survey pro bono:

from their email to me:

"Vanguard is continuously working to improve its products and services. In this regard, we are interested in your opinions about Vanguard overall. The information that you provide will assist us in understanding how investors view Vanguard and how we can improve. To that end, we would appreciate your participation in a brief survey. The survey should take less than ten minutes to complete."

the rich get richer, the poor get poorer...
Last edited by greenspam on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
as always, | peace, | greenie.
greenspam

"Anything for a dollar."

Postby Taylor Larimore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

mickeyd

Please tell them I am available.

My dad started diaper service in Miami. I worked in the washroom.

Our motto: "We'll put our hands into anything for a dollar." :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby Flobes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey too. Last year, Vanguard twice "hired" me to spend an hour or so looking at new web interfaces and concepts.

First call paid $150. They said I was very helpful, would I do another? You betcha! Second paid $100.

Greenie: I was a mere Voyager...
Flobes

Postby JDaniels » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 pm

$50 per hour rate. Not bad :D
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."
JDaniels

Postby trudy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:49 pm

How am I missing out on this :-)

Well, at least they sent me a free Vanguard logo blanket awhile ago.
Last edited by trudy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trudy

Re: "Anything for a dollar."

Postby EmergDoc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor

I could use that motto in the Emergency Room. :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
EmergDoc

Postby momar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 pm

I took a survey once because VG said they would send me a $10 Amazon gift card. I never got the gift card.

I guess I might have thrown it out as junk mail.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
momar

Postby hicabob » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 pm

JDaniels wrote:$50 per hour rate. Not bad :D

tax-free I assume?
hicabob

Postby trudy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:20 pm

hicabob wrote:
JDaniels wrote:$50 per hour rate. Not bad :D

tax-free I assume?

I'm guessing this is self-employment and so below the reporting threshold. :-)
trudy

Postby mickeyd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Turns out that the "$25 thank you" is an online coupon for Amazon that will be sent in a few weeks. I was looking for cold hard cash but DW will use the coupon as she purchases stuff from them all of the time. Me, not so much.
Last edited by mickeyd on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby Boglenaut » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:35 pm

mickeyd wrote:Yea it's only a PT job (30 minutes) and I didn't even have to take a drug test to get the job! I wonder if the sequester had anything to do with my new employment. Wish me luck.

Vanguard Flagship Services® is committed to providing you with the highest quality of products, services, and experiences. As part of that effort, we're currently conducting an important survey. The information you provide will help us create products and services that better meet your investing needs.

The survey should take about 30 minutes to complete. Clients who complete the survey by Wednesday, March 20 will receive a $25 thank-you for taking time to assist us.

I only got $10 when I did one!
Boglenaut

Postby Boglenaut » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

momar wrote:I took a survey once because VG said they would send me a $10 Amazon gift card. I never got the gift card.

I guess I might have thrown it out as junk mail.

I think it came via e-mail.
Boglenaut

Re: "Anything for a dollar."

Postby woof755 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:mickeyd

Please tell them I am available.

My dad started diaper service in Miami. I worked in the washroom.

Best wishes.
Taylor

:D

I'm a gastroenterologist. Talk about "...into anything for a dollar"!!!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
woof755

Postby stemikger » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 pm

greenspam wrote:

funny, they pay the Flagship clients $25 to take the survey, and expect us Voyager clients to take the survey pro bono:

from their email to me:

"Vanguard is continuously working to improve its products and services. In this regard, we are interested in your opinions about Vanguard overall. The information that you provide will assist us in understanding how investors view Vanguard and how we can improve. To that end, we would appreciate your participation in a brief survey. The survey should take less than ten minutes to complete."

Dude you got rippied off. Not to one up you, but, I took a 30 minute survey last year where I had a marketing guy ask me questions in real time. They paid me $50 or $100 I don't remember. I was surprised how fast the check came. It was also pretty fun.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby Christine_NM » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Just got a phone call on this. As Flagship I get a $25 Amazon credit for doing the survey. Looks like the March 20 deadline wasn't firm.
Savor the moment.
Christine_NM

Postby Cuzz35 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm

I took one of these surveys and after 10 questions it was over. Got a message that I wasn't the type of person they were looking to get feedback from.
Cuzz35

Postby david99 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

I took a survey last year and got a $10 gift card from Amazon via email. I guess that Vanguard's rates have gone up --- that's a pretty good pay increase from six months ago.
david99

Postby exoilman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I don't do surveys. I figure I'm surveyed everytime I'm on the internet. :happy

Sam
exoilman

Postby protagonist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:27 pm

greenspam wrote:

from their email to me:

IMHO, that's creepy. It's like the old days in some hospitals where I worked, where doctors got to eat for free in the plush doctors' dining room, and everybody else, including unpaid hospital volunteers, had to buy their food in the cafeteria.
protagonist

Postby EmergDoc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

protagonist wrote:
IMHO, that's creepy. It's like the old days in some hospitals where I worked, where doctors got to eat for free in the plush doctors' dining room, and everybody else, including unpaid hospital volunteers, had to buy their food in the cafeteria.

It's not just in the old days. As long as patients are coming to the hospital to see doctors (and there is more than one hospital in town) the trend is likely to continue. You know how much money a hospital loses when an active surgeon decides to go down the street to do his cases? It's a little more than lunch money. If a lab worker, a nurse, or an x-ray tech goes down the street it doesn't really affect the hospital's bottom line much.

Now why they feed the radiologists, emergency docs and hospitalists is beyond me, but I'll take it while I can get it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
EmergDoc

Postby protagonist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:48 pm

EmergDoc wrote:
protagonist wrote:

It's not just in the old days. As long as patients are coming to the hospital to see doctors (and there is more than one hospital in town) the trend is likely to continue. You know how much money a hospital loses when an active surgeon decides to go down the street to do his cases? It's a little more than lunch money. If a lab worker, a nurse, or an x-ray tech goes down the street it doesn't really affect the hospital's bottom line much.

Now why they feed the radiologists, emergency docs and hospitalists is beyond me, but I'll take it while I can get it.

You can make the same argument for Vanguard's policy of paying the people with million dollar accounts to do surveys they don't pay less fortunate investors for. The fact that it helps their bottom line does not make it any less creepy. As a retired physician, both policies backfire on me by putting me off. But maybe I am in the minority.
protagonist

Postby kitteh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Cuzz35 wrote:I took one of these surveys and after 10 questions it was over. Got a message that I wasn't the type of person they were looking to get feedback from.

Wunderground had a survey and the first or second question was about age. I answered and it exited! Nice way to let older people know where they stand.
kitteh

Postby minesweep » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 pm

mickeyd wrote:Turns out that the "$25 thank you" is an online coupon for Amazon that will be sent in a few weeks. I was looking for cold hard cash but DW will use the coupon as she purchases stuff from them all of the time. Me, not so much.

I received the Amazon $25 coupon (via email) about a week after taking the survey.

Mike
minesweep

Postby minesweep » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm

david99 wrote:I took a survey last year and got a $10 gift card from Amazon via email. I guess that Vanguard's rates have gone up --- that's a pretty good pay increase from six months ago.

Time is money. The $25 survey was a longer survey.

Mike
minesweep

Postby Khanmots » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm

protagonist wrote:You can make the same argument for Vanguard's policy of paying the people with million dollar accounts to do surveys they don't pay less fortunate investors for. The fact that it helps their bottom line does not make it any less creepy. As a retired physician, both policies backfire on me by putting me off. But maybe I am in the minority.

I'm not sure that they are. I did a survey from them last year for $25 or some such and am a rather small fish who doesn't even qualify for Voyager services. From what I remember they had multiple surveys going on at that time that paid different rates. That may be what it is here; too small of a sample set to say one way or the other IMO.
Khanmots

Postby ElJay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

I recently received a $25 survey offer from a firm named "Lieberman Research Worldwide." They insinuated that at the end of the survey they would tell me which "major financial services company" was sponsoring the study, but instead on the final page of the survey they asked me to email them to get this disclosure. I did not want my name and address associated with my responses so I declined the compensation (although since they had my email address they may also already have this information.) From a couple of questions I felt like it was sponsored by a retail bank, probably HSBC or Key Bank. Vanguard was amongst the many financial firms they were quizzing me on.
ElJay

Postby abuss368 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

They must be cutting fees again! I did this months ago and received $100 for a web conference call!

It was a great experience!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Return to Personal Consumer Issues