KeePass on Mac

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

KeePass on Mac

Postby smiley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 am

Anybody use the KeePass port for Mac OS X, and if so any problems encountered?
I love the program and am a longterm user on Windows.....the need for other downloads (mono etc) for Mac concerned me a bit.

thanks in advance!

:happy
smiley

Re: KeePass on Mac

Postby spefactor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:21 am

I use KeePassX on my Mac without any issues.

I don't think this requires Mono -- I found the installation relatively straightforward and the application works pretty well.
spefactor

Postby smiley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

spefactor wrote:I use KeePassX on my Mac without any issues.

I don't think this requires Mono -- I found the installation relatively straightforward and the application works pretty well.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
This looks like what I've been looking for, and it appears to be fully compatible with KeePass2 format.

Much gratitude!

smiley

Postby gravlax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm

I've had problems with Keepass on Mountain Lion, but not on previous versions of OSX.

I work in tech and have coworkers with other versions and no problems, but the latest version of OSX does not play nicely with Keepass. You can eventually get it to work, but it is not pretty.
gravlax

Postby gravlax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm

To clarify a bit more, I have been able to install KeePassX on my mac running Mountain Lion. This is a free product made by Keepass that generated .kdbx files.

However, it will not open .kdb files created by regular Keepass.
gravlax

Postby smiley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm

gravlax wrote:To clarify a bit more, I have been able to install KeePassX on my mac running Mountain Lion. This is a free product made by Keepass that generated .kdbx files.

uh-oh, i use mountain lion. believe database created by KeePass 2 on windows is .kdbx file, so i should be ok???

:?:
smiley

Postby gravlax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm

smiley wrote:
gravlax wrote:To clarify a bit more, I have been able to install KeePassX on my mac running Mountain Lion. This is a free product made by Keepass that generated .kdbx files.

uh-oh, i use mountain lion. believe database created by KeePass 2 on windows is .kdbx file, so i should be ok???

:?:

I'm
able to open .kdbx just fine (YMMV). It is the .kdb files which are causing me problems.
gravlax

Postby Mudpuppy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:13 am

gravlax wrote:However, it will not open .kdb files created by regular Keepass.

I don't have a Mac, but in general you have either a version of KeePass that can open kdb (version 1) files and not kdbx (version 2) files or you have a version that can open kdbx files and import kdb files. It's important in the later case to use the import routine for the kdb file instead of just opening it, because the format changed dramatically between version 1 and version 2 of the database file.

You also need the latest version of KeePassX (version 2, alpha 2 or higher) to support importing kdb files. Importing kdb files was not supported in KeePassX version 2 alpha 1. Keep in mind that KeePassX version 2 is still in alpha release, and they focused on database version 2 support (kdbx support) with the first release, not backwards compatibility with database version 1 (kdb).

If you work solely with kdb files, you should instead use KeePassX version 0.4.3, which fully supports kdb files, but cannot open kdbx files.
Mudpuppy

Postby smiley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 am

just confirmed that .kdbx files are accepted by KeePassX without issue.....except that i've found some loss of functionality.
specifically, auto-type (one of my favorite features) does not want to work.

an alpha release issue, or my error? i will investigate this further.
at least i have access to my passwords on the new mac, so i am very grateful.
much thanks again!

smiley

Postby bedoodah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:26 am

Hello,
new to mac.
Which version did you install?
Please provide URL link for download.

Thank you.
bedoodah

Return to Personal Consumer Issues