Alternatives to Quicken

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Alternatives to Quicken

Postby statsguy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Maybe this is the year we drop Quicken. Having to upgrade to Quicken 2013 soon. We have been using Quicken since 1992 (well that is the oldest transactions I see just now).

Our situation is that we run Quicken on a Windows machine but for six or seven months a year we only have a Mac available. Ever since Quicken quit supporting Macs we have been having to run Quicken on our Mac using a windows emulator. It is clunky but it works.

This year we will be using the Mac from May to Christmas, so I plan on installing Gnucash and/or Moneydance. I will probably install both and run them side-by-side for a month or so.

I am still looking for comments about which runs best. Maybe there is another program you use, if so, let me know which you like.

The features we use in Quicken

For me the most convenient is the one-step update. We have 68 accounts (well I only update about 50 of those monthly) the others quarterly. Our bank has started charging for Quicken one-step update (our bank claims the charge is a pass-through charge from Quicken) so we update those two accounts monthly by logging into the bank and downloading it ourselves for free. .

I did not look closely at these two programs, but am still not ready to put our information in the cloud. I prefer a program that saves the information only on my harddrive.

I pay bills online but don't use Quicken so that feature is not as important.

I use Quicken to provide cost basis for our investments but I usually check the result too so this feature is not totally needed either.

Stats
statsguy

Re: Alternatives to Quicken

Postby Jake46 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 pm

I switched from Quicken to iBank a couple of years ago. Data conversion was simple & iBank can do everything you are using Quicken for.
Jake46

Postby clearwater » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm in the same bind as you. I've tried them all. Moneydance had a terrible user interface (although GnuCash was even worse). iBank had a better UI although still not great. Both of them had difficulty correctly importing large amounts of Quicken data.

I have data going back to 1992. I'd like to bring everything over correctly, but it seems like none of these applications work for this much data. In my experience trying to make it all work it was a mess. I suppose another option is to choose a cutoff date -- say go back 10 years, archive that to a new Quicken data file, and then just import that. I didn't try that but it might work better.

I use the Business features of Quicken Home and Business, and ultimately realized I'm kind of stuck. There are few packages that do things like this unless I get separate business accounting package as well -- just even more complexity since they're only available for Windows... and then I'm back to the same problem. Right now I'm running Quicken in Windows 7 as a VMware Fusion guest. One thing I do really like is at tax time importing stuff into TurboTax is a breeze, so that's a positive.

I keep hoping Apple will just write a decent Quicken competitor, already. It's low hanging fruit that almost everyone wants. Then again, they haven't updated iWork since 2009, so who knows. Maybe they're not interesting in building applications anymore. All the money is being made on phones apparently.

Note to statsguy: Also like you, I maintain an account of my own individual stock selections, replicating a high yield/low beta index fund. Your other postings on that were very valuable, so thanks. Seems like you, Petrocelli, and myself are the only people I know who have done that. It's been a good experience, and in actuality is another reason I'm kind of stuck with Quicken as it works pretty well for tracking individual securities.
clearwater

Postby ThatGuy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Quicken [stinks --admin LadyGeek], but it's still the best of an absolutely atrocious bunch of software. At this point I've given up on having a local database of financial transactions. However, I'm tempted to give Skrooge a try as I love the name.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
ThatGuy

Postby Blues » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 pm

ThatGuy wrote:Quicken [stinks --admin LadyGeek], but it's still the best of an absolutely atrocious bunch of software. At this point I've given up on having a local database of financial transactions. However, I'm tempted to give Skrooge a try as I love the name.

I agree on both counts. I'd been using Quicken since about 1990 or 1991 but a month or so back finally had enough of inputting and duplicating my monthly transactions and now rely on Vanguard's record keeping. (FWIW, the cost basis info for both Vanguard and Quicken were virtually identical. I believe there was one small anomaly with the Vanguard data actually being in my favor.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Blues

Postby Rob5TCP » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm

I just switched from Microsoft Money (which was not great but better than Quicken) because support for it ended.
Within two week I found a loop in Quicken I could not get out of. Fortunately I am "obsessive" about backups and just
killed it and restored from 2 hours earlier.

Having looked at others, it's the best of a miserable lot. Too bad there isn't any real competition. Quicken has a
nice look, but for investments, it lags way behind Microsoft Money (and that was a 7 year old version).

I wish I had something better to recommend.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob5TCP

Postby fabdog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

I run the Apple provided bootcamp software on my Mac... you need a windows license to go with it... but then you boot up in Windows when you need it, otherwise into Mac

this has been a great solution for me

Mike
fabdog

Postby Alex Frakt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:32 pm

I switched from a very old version of Quicken to GnuCash for the bookkeeping needs of my wife's law firm. It works and is open source and free. However, like a lot of open source software, you have to be willing to spend some time figuring it out and/or tracking down the answers to any questions.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Postby Blues » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:I switched from a very old version of Quicken

Alex, you wanna laugh, the last version of Quicken I ever purchased was Quicken '95 which they updated for free to Quicken '98 during the Y2K scare.

As I really only used it for inputting my investment transactions it was sufficient for my purposes...but finally I decided to let Vanguard do the heavy lifting for me since I'm primarily concerned about tracking cost basis and the rest of my needs are easily accomplished without the redundancy of effort.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Blues

Postby Hexdump » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm

What I use is KMyMoney.
I went from MSMoney to Quicken all the time trying other products like GnuCash and Moneydance and a few others before I settled on KMyMoney.

I have 2 investment companies, Fidelity and Vanguard with about 10 accounts combined.
4 banks, 6 credit cards, and 2 credit unions.
I one-button-push download from Fidelity and Vanguard and 2 of the credit cards. For some reason Amex forces me to do a manual download and import only when the monthly statement is ready. The rest of the downloads are done daily.
The transactions are put into the proper accounts and they require you to accept them or, if the 1st time for that merchant, edit the category.
The reports are pretty good and the ones I use the most are net worth, account balances, and budget vs actual.

The handling of mortgages is not quite correct but I work around it. You can correctly get an accurate equity number or an accurate interest expense, but not both. It's no big deal, just different.

Securities are named "accounts" for some reason and there are other different naming conventions that caused some confusion to begin with.

http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/windows-install.html

It's pretty good and I have not missed Quicken at all.

Give it a try.
Hexdump

Postby statsguy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Looks like this post is back from the dead. Thanks for all the new comments about Quicken Alternatives. I am still searching too. Will switch over to Mac based product in May... and will report back anything I find out.

clearwater wrote:Note to statsguy: Also like you, I maintain an account of my own individual stock selections, replicating a high yield/low beta index fund. Your other postings on that were very valuable, so thanks. Seems like you, Petrocelli, and myself are the only people I know who have done that. It's been a good experience, and in actuality is another reason I'm kind of stuck with Quicken as it works pretty well for tracking individual securities.

We are not completely alone, there are three or four others who also own some individual stocks. We do because it is cheaper than the index. This year I will have a bit more turnover than usual as I plan to move some stocks around between the ROTH and taxable accounts.

Best of luck
Stats
statsguy

Postby slheinlein » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 am

I'm in a similar situation and I haven't found a good solution. Currently, I run a Windows virtual machine with Parallels to get to my quicken. Its sort of a pain but haven't found a better alternative and Quicken seems to own the market for personal finance software so I don't seeing anything coming out to replace on the MAC side.
slheinlein

Postby LazyNihilist » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 am

Alex Frakt wrote:I switched from a very old version of Quicken to GnuCash for the bookkeeping needs of my wife's law firm. It works and is open source and free. However, like a lot of open source software, you have to be willing to spend some time figuring it out and/or tracking down the answers to any questions.

+1 for GnuCash. It's pretty good. The double entry book keeping helps in maintaining the correct balance.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]
LazyNihilist

Postby CyberBob » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 am

Check out iBank and iFinance and MoneyWell and MoneyWiz.

Bob
Last edited by CyberBob on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberBob

Postby SpaceCommander » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:44 pm

I tried Quicken and hated it. Found http://www.ynab.com and it was exactly what I was looking for.

It's not for investment tracking as much as for managing checking, savings & credit card accounts. Where other programs are looking backwards and merely track where your money went, YNAB is excellent at looking forward and helping you to plan your spending most efficiently. I've been using it and it is excellent. My only regret is not running it years ago.
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.
SpaceCommander

Postby purple » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I am using portfolio-hub to track my investment portfolio.
purple

Postby daytona084 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Why not just pick up a Windows laptop. They don't cost much. If all you want to do is Quicken, you could even go with a used one. For example, a Dell D610 can be had for about $100.

In fact, many of the more "cautious" bogleheads advocate having a dedicated PC that is used for financial stuff and nothing else.
daytona084

Postby umfundi » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm

I still miss Managing Your Money.

I asked Andy Tobias about it once, and he said they messed up, not realizing that Windows would conquer the world. Then I used Quicken for a while until Intuit screwed me on licensing for TurboTax. My hard drive failed during tax season and they would not give me a new authorization code to reinstall on the new drive. I liked MS Money but eventually lost interest in maintaining my own data base.

Everything I need is online. I have gone paperless, and every routine bill is on autopay. I spend a few minutes each month reviewing my checking account and a couple of credit card statements. Yodlee is interesting, but I could never quite get it to consolidate ALL my accounts.

The stuff that drives me crazy, like reconciling medical bills, would not be helped by something like Quicken. We have to do that manually, with paper and a calculator. Blue Cross seems to be quite proud that their mailed statements have no record whatsoever.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi

Postby ursineogre » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Hexdump wrote:What I use is KMyMoney.
I went from MSMoney to Quicken all the time trying other products like GnuCash and Moneydance and a few others before I settled on KMyMoney.

I have 2 investment companies, Fidelity and Vanguard with about 10 accounts combined.
4 banks, 6 credit cards, and 2 credit unions.
I one-button-push download from Fidelity and Vanguard and 2 of the credit cards. For some reason Amex forces me to do a manual download and import only when the monthly statement is ready. The rest of the downloads are done daily.
The transactions are put into the proper accounts and they require you to accept them or, if the 1st time for that merchant, edit the category.
The reports are pretty good and the ones I use the most are net worth, account balances, and budget vs actual.

The handling of mortgages is not quite correct but I work around it. You can correctly get an accurate equity number or an accurate interest expense, but not both. It's no big deal, just different.

Securities are named "accounts" for some reason and there are other different naming conventions that caused some confusion to begin with.

http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/windows-install.html

It's pretty good and I have not missed Quicken at all.

Give it a try.

Does KMyMoney do double entry? We use Quicken for our personal finances only (checking, savings, credit cards, mortgage; spreadsheets for investing ) and I am not interested in double entry bookkeeping.

LazyNihilist wrote:
+1 for GnuCash. It's pretty good. The double entry book keeping helps in maintaining the correct balance.

Why do you like the double entry? To me it seems unnecessary unless you are running a business.
ursineogre

Postby lightheir » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:54 am

mint.com for personal expenditures? (Not so great for investment accounts, but I don't need anything fancy for investment accounts after boglehead-simplifying everything!)
lightheir

Postby lhl12 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:15 am

I too used Manging Your Money for years (all the way through its last version) until it became clear that it was doomed, at which point I switched to Microsoft Money.

I used Microsoft Money for years as well (all the way through its last version) until Microsoft announced that it would discontinue the product. I continued for another year or so, and then evaluated Quicken and QuickBooks as alternatives.

I ended up going with QuickBooks and have been happy with it. It is a much more full-featured system than Quicken, that allows me a very fine level of control over everything I want to track. I was not impressed with Quicken, and thought it was inferior to Microsoft Money.
lhl12

Postby JamesSFO » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:23 am

I've tried a lot of alternatives and as sucky as quicken can be, I use parallels on my mac for it. I also use Mint but that doesn't track investments well. Will try some of the other suggestions here, but like iBank and what not just did not work well for me.
JamesSFO

Postby Hexdump » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:26 am

ursineogre wrote:Does KMyMoney do double entry? We use Quicken for our personal finances only (checking, savings, credit cards, mortgage; spreadsheets for investing ) and I am not interested in double entry bookkeeping.

LazyNihilist wrote:

Why do you like the double entry? To me it seems unnecessary unless you are running a business.

KMyMoney does not use double entry.
As an aside, I just abandoned Windows for openSUSE Linux and KMyMoney is an original Linux package so the transition was flawless.
The one button update also works though a bit differently. Linux keeps your passwords stored in a wallet that needs to be activated, I had not done that when given the chance, but it was soon rectified.

KMyMoney is free so there is no risk to try it.
No connection here, only a happy user.
Hexdump

Postby PeteCress » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:10 pm

JamesSFO wrote:...Will try some of the other suggestions here, but like iBank and what not just did not work well for me.

Did you come up with anything that worked for you?

I just tried yNab, KMyMoney, and SplashMoney.

yNab seemed not to be oriented towards my primary task: managing a checking account and a credit card.

Both KMyMoney and SplashMoney imported from Quicken .QIF files, but the data looked hopeless to me. $127,000 balance on my checking account? Maybe in my dreams....

So it's looking to me like I need to suck it up and buy a later version of Quicken.
PeteCress

Postby oxothuk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:00 pm

umfundi wrote:I still miss Managing Your Money.

+1

MYM also came with a "quote of the day". One of my favorites was Oscar Wilde's impression of Niagara Falls - "It would be more impressive if it flowed the other way..."
oxothuk

Postby JamesSFO » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 pm

PeteCress wrote:
JamesSFO wrote:...Will try some of the other suggestions here, but like iBank and what not just did not work well for me.

Did you come up with anything that worked for you?

I just tried yNab, KMyMoney, and SplashMoney.

yNab seemed not to be oriented towards my primary task: managing a checking account and a credit card.

Both KMyMoney and SplashMoney imported from Quicken .QIF files, but the data looked hopeless to me. $127,000 balance on my checking account? Maybe in my dreams....

So it's looking to me like I need to suck it up and buy a later version of Quicken.

I've yet to find anything I like except Quicken, I wish I could say otherwise but the other programs annoy me in new ways, while Quicken annoys me in ways I already understand... :/
JamesSFO

Postby TimeRunner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 am

I have a Mac and use VMWare Fusion to host a Windows 7 VM to run Quicken 2011. The next version of iBank (iggsoftware.com) will be out shortly and I'll give that another try. It can import the QIF export file from Quicken. I agree that some features/annoyances of Quicken are handy. I use split percentage transactions, for example, and want that supported in Quicken alternatives.
Hope is not a strategy.
TimeRunner

Postby targ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

+gazillion for MoneyDance

I've been a happy MD user for over a decade. Added bonuses, 1) it's cross platform and 2)you can set it up to run from a thumbdrive. So you can have everything on a portable drive and update your stuff on a PC, Mac, or Linux box.
targ

Postby rja1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:18 am

In June or July 2013, I learned that Intuit was selling "Quicken for Lion." It is different than Quicken Essentials, which I bought & returned because it was useless & kept crashing. Q4L was described by someone in an Apple Store as a "patch" & it cost about $15 if I remember correctly. I installed it & have been using it seamlessly since then. I even had to call Quicken Support today to install Q4L on a back-up computer & I had no trouble getting such support (probably because I had bought their annual support plan back in June 2013 for about $40.) I haven't found any differences using Q4L and my previous Quicken 2007 for Mac. However, I use it strictly as an electronic checkbook program. I don't use it to write checks or go online to download financial info from banks or brokerage firms. Hence, there might be some differences I am unaware of. On the other hand, I'm trying to keep abreast of other checkbook programs because I don't think there will be any more Quicken "patches" when Apple comes out with its next operating system.
rja1

Postby Tuga » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Another user looking for help with personal finance software! I tried Quicken for Mac and Moneydance in the past and I was never able to get either working properly for more than a couple of weeks. Each time I eventually gave up. Quicken was plan terrible and Moneydance is too complicated and not intuitive.

I don't need a sophisticated package. I'm mostly looking to be able to track expenses and some budgeting. I have a 4-portfolio Boglehead investment plan so I don't think I need software to keep track of cost basis since my financial institution can do it for me. Want I really want is to be able to pull monthly reports/charts on spending. I'm not sure if I should just use an Excel spreadsheet, but I was really hoping to find something that could run on auto-pilot after being set up.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. :sharebeer
Tuga

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:19 pm

I am a long time Quicken user (since early 1990s) and currently use Q2012. I run Parallels with Win 7 on my MacBook. That is the best option I have yet tried. I would rate it a 10 on meeting my needs. I am also currently trying SEE Finance on the MacBook as a native application. It imported all my Quicken data (on Win 7) to the Mac almost without error. There were a few things I had to manually fix. SEE Finance does work, but I'd only give it about a 6 or 7 on being as user friendly as Quicken; maybe I'm just not used to it yet. I'd say it is worth trying (free to try) and it may meet your needs. I have tried Moneydance, iBank, spreadsheets, and several years ago GNUCash - did not like them for various reasons. All things considered, I'll probably either totally ditch Quicken and depend on my credit card carriers and bank and Vanguard to do everything online, or I'll stick with Quicken/Windows/Parallels. Not sure yet which way I'll end up going.
. | | "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." | - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
Fletch

Postby TimeRunner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 pm

TimeRunner wrote:I have a Mac and use VMWare Fusion to host a Windows 7 VM to run Quicken 2011. The next version of iBank (iggsoftware.com) will be out shortly and I'll give that another try. It can import the QIF export file from Quicken. I agree that some features/annoyances of Quicken are handy. I use split percentage transactions, for example, and want that supported in Quicken alternatives.

As a follow-up to previous post, Quicken 2011 support ends 4/14. I bought Quicken 2014 cheaply and waited until the 5th update release (R5) to install. No update issues from Q2011 - just a couple of preference tweaks needed. Looks very much like Q2011 so no issues making the transition. I tried iBank 5.x and it's just too cumbersome. Where Quicken shines is just the number of clicks needed to do anything. It takes many more click and mouse/trackpad moves to do the same thing in iBank, including handling downloads. Current plan is to stay with Quicken 2014 running on VMWare Fusion hosting a Windows 7 VM. Sounds more complicated than it is. I auto-backup the Quicken data file to another drive, and have Mac Time Machine backup the entire Windows 7 VM machine (which is one file) daily.

Of course I'd love a native Mac app as good as Quicken Windows, but so far no one has topped Quicken. Perhaps Intuit will get around to full Mac support this year or next.
Hope is not a strategy.
TimeRunner

Postby Tuga » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:13 am

For those of you that gave up on Mac programs and use an Excel spreadsheet, did you create your own or did you pull something off the shelf?
Tuga

Postby BaldTom » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am

Bought a macbook July 2012. Tried iBank; it didn't deliver what was promised as far as reports go. Waste of money.

Am currently running Quicken 2011 through a program called CrossOver, by Codeweavers. Cost me $40 with 6 mo. of support, rather than buying. I didn't need to call. Primarily designed for gaming.

I input all transactions by hand. This forces me to a conscious review of activity and results on a regular basis. Don't down load any transactions. This program will allow Quicken to update prices, but not from each institution.

Will check out other suggestions made here.
BaldTom

Postby statsguy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:07 pm

BaldTom wrote:Bought a macbook July 2012. Tried iBank; it didn't deliver what was promised as far as reports go. Waste of money.

Am currently running Quicken 2011 through a program called CrossOver, by Codeweavers. Cost me $40 with 6 mo. of support, rather than buying. I didn't need to call. Primarily designed for gaming.

I input all transactions by hand. This forces me to a conscious review of activity and results on a regular basis. Don't down load any transactions. This program will allow Quicken to update prices, but not from each institution.

Will check out other suggestions made here.

This is what I am doing as well. Quicken is a little slow and clunky when using CrossOver. I am using an older version of CrossOver (probably two years old now) so maybe their newer versions work better.

Stats
statsguy

Postby sscritic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 pm

It depends what you need to do. I use Quicken 2007 for Lion and it handles all those websites that say I need Quicken 2011 or newer. The one good thing about Quicken not upgrading the Mac version as quickly as the Windows version is that you don't have to pay to upgrade as often.

I got Quicken 2006 with my Macbook in 2006 at no additional cost and Quicken 2007 for Lion in 2012 for $15. That's $15 for going on 8 years. If I ever had to pay the real price for Quicken, I don't know if I would buy it or not, but $2 a year seems reasonable.
sscritic

Postby oxothuk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:00 am

TimeRunner wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:Current plan is to stay with Quicken 2014 running on VMWare Fusion hosting a Windows 7 VM. Sounds more complicated than it is. I auto-backup the Quicken data file to another drive, and have Mac Time Machine backup the entire Windows 7 VM machine (which is one file) daily.

I do much the same thing, running Quicken in Windows Vista VM under Parallels. I also store my Quicken data backups on a separate drive.

However, I have configured Time Machine so that it DOES NOT backup the Windows VM, to avoid clogging up space on my Time Machine drive. I made a one-time backup of the VM last year. If something ever goes wrong with the VM, I can restore the VM from that backup and then restore my Quicken data separately.
oxothuk

Postby sscritic » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 am

rja1 wrote:In June or July 2013, I learned that Intuit was selling "Quicken for Lion."
I don't use it to write checks or go online to download financial info from banks or brokerage firms. Hence, there might be some differences I am unaware of. On the other hand, I'm trying to keep abreast of other checkbook programs because I don't think there will be any more Quicken "patches" when Apple comes out with its next operating system.

I use Quicken for Lion. I can direct connect to Vanguard and some of my banks and credit cards, but some others charge for direct connect or don't offer it, so I just use web connect. Web connect means going to the bank's website and clicking on download, then double clicking the .qfx file. It's not as direct as direct connect, but not that burdensome if you only download every two weeks or once a month. I use One Step once a week for the sites that support (free) direct connect. I don't use Quicken for my bill pay or use it to write checks. I go to my bank's bill pay to pay bills; the data later gets to Quicken by one of the connects.

I understand that Windows is more automated than that, but Q for L works for me and has only cost me $15 (and I have been using Q on a Mac since 2006).
sscritic

Postby fjfino » Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm

My Vista/Windows PC that I use to run Quicken 2013 appears to have finally given up the ghost.
I am trying out Crossover and so far so good. Quicken appears to run quite well on my MacBook Pro.
It has updated all my accounts and transactions from mid April w/ no issues.
I decide to push my luck and downloaded the Savings Bond Wizard and that too appears to be running fine..and both seem faster than on the PC (Vista..I know).
I will give it a shot for 2 weeks free and decide it I want to buy it....any one have any long term experience with Crossover?
Thanks
Fred
Pay yourself first
fjfino

Postby mapleosb » Fri May 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Quicken is in beta test of the new Mac version which should come out later this year.
mapleosb

Postby cody69 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:09 am

I am trying out Crossover and so far so good. Quicken appears to run quite well on my MacBook Pro.
It has updated all my accounts and transactions from mid April w/ no issues.
I decide to push my luck and downloaded the Savings Bond Wizard and that too appears to be running fine..and both seem faster than on the PC (Vista..I know).
I will give it a shot for 2 weeks free and decide it I want to buy it....any one have any long term experience with Crossover?

We converted our household PCs to Macs a long time ago, but always kept a Windows PC in the basement to run Quicken.
When end-of-life for XP was announced, I searched for options and discovered CrossOver.
I found this attractive since it allowed Quicken to run as an application in a Mac window, it was inexpensive, and did not require purchasing a new Windows license.

I've used it for approx 6 months now and am very satisfied. I use it for Quicken 2013 and have not tried any other programs.
I have it on an iMac that is running Mavericks. My experience has been very positive.
On the PC I was having download problems with certain fund managers (not Vanguard) that required occasional tinkering. Have not had any issues running on the Mac.
Updating on the iMac is much quicker and takes a fraction of the time as it took on the PC.
And best of all, it runs in a window on the Mac, so I don't have to sit in the basement any longer. Plus the Quicken files get backed up automatically using the Mac file backup procedures.

As a plus, in April, I was pleased when TurboTax seamlessly linked to the Quicken information, which was a nice surprise.
cody69

Postby ataloss » Sat May 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I used quicken from the days of dos until a few years ago. Gnu cash wasn't simple enough for me. I ended up with Mint for checking and credit. I spend much less time on the process than before. Investment positions are in a spreadsheet that updates prices.
ataloss

Return to Personal Consumer Issues