Honda CRV Purchase Price

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Toons

Honda CRV Purchase Price

Post by Toons »

I am doing my "homework" for a possible purchase of a new CRV. I even visited a dealership yesterday to drive one but with no plans to negotiate in person.I will do my initial negotiating with emails to several dealerships. The particular model I am looking at list for 26,975(MSRP) at any dealer's website I visit.
Kelley's Blue Book list as following:
MSRP 26,975
Fair Purchase Price 25,775
Dealer Invoice 25,379
Full knowing that Honda has no problem selling their inventory what do you think one could expect
in the way of expected discount off of MSRP. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Raymond

Re: Honda CRV Purchase Price

Post by Raymond »

It's hard to tell what discount you might expect off MSRP. My wife and I used the "Fighting Chance" system, which is essentially soliciting e-mail bids from dealers - they know better than you how low they're willing to go to make the sale.

A particular dealership may be willing to sell for a lower price than the others because (for example) they need just one more sale to meet a sales goal, but you have no idea which dealership that is.

They key thing is not to "negotiate" with the dealers, you want them to *bid* for your business - specify the make, model, year, trim level, color, whatever, in your e-mail. I wouldn't even mention any dollar amount, just see what they reply with. If they reply, "well, we don't do business that way", well then, you just discovered who you're not buying from :twisted:

[Edit] Obviously, this only works with new cars, as you are buying an essentially identical product.

Just my non-professional view, YMMV, IMHO, etc. :happy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Rushmore

Post by Rushmore »

We just bought a new 2013 Honda Accord EX. MSRP $26,195, purchase price (including destination charge) of $22,800, in Massachusetts. The price we paid is considerably lower than one would expect based on Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds. Our method for buying was using two Mass. dealers that were abe to provide internet quotes without any obligation -- Bernardi Honda and Weymouth Honda. Using these two prices as ceilings, we were than able to "dial for dollars" and simply call a bunch of Honda dealers in the area if they could match or beat the price. Rarely have I felt so empowered as a consumer!

Incidentally, the Costco price for the car through their auto buying service was $24,100 -- very disappointing. The dealer using the Costco price kept on insisting to us that that price was the "invoice" price and that they were not making any money off of the car. Obviously, that was a lie, since other dealers were willing to sell us the car at considerably lower prices....

The great thing about shopping around for the Accord is that each trim level is the same MSRP everywhere, so it's easy to shop around for it. Couldn't do that with other models, like the 2013 Ford Fusion, which can get optioned out extensively.

- Rushmore
Topic Author
Toons

Post by Toons »

Rushmore wrote:We just bought a new 2013 Honda Accord EX. MSRP $26,195, purchase price (including destination charge) of $22,800, in Massachusetts. The price we paid is considerably lower than one would expect based on Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds. Our method for buying was using two Mass. dealers that were abe to provide internet quotes without any obligation -- Bernardi Honda and Weymouth Honda. Using these two prices as ceilings, we were than able to "dial for dollars" and simply call a bunch of Honda dealers in the area if they could match or beat the price. Rarely have I felt so empowered as a consumer!

Incidentally, the Costco price for the car through their auto buying service was $24,100 -- very disappointing. The dealer using the Costco price kept on insisting to us that that price was the "invoice" price and that they were not making any money off of the car. Obviously, that was a lie, since other dealers were willing to sell us the car at considerably lower prices....

The great thing about shopping around for the Accord is that each trim level is the same MSRP everywhere, so it's easy to shop around for it. Couldn't do that with other models, like the 2013 Ford Fusion, which can get optioned out extensively.

- Rushmore
Excellent Information Thanks :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
marbleous

Post by marbleous »

Raymond's strategy will work well. Let as many dealerships as possible (it is easy to send out 5-10 emails to all the dealerships you would be willing to drive to) bid on your chosen car. Let them do the work. Once you have got all your replies then start using the lowest number to go back to the rest to see if they will go lower. At least one or two will if you continue to show real interest.

I recommend you make a new email account for this strategy because you will be inundated by the number of follow up emails. After you buy, just delete the account.

When we bought our last vehicle we had a very large area of dealerships we contacted as we have family in several different states that we could go visit. We could combine car buying trips with vacations. Just an idea.
snowman

Post by snowman »

Don't forget to check carsdirect.com. You should not pay more than that. I used them 10 years ago when I purchased my Accord, and the shopping experience was flawless - unlike anything I have experienced before. You are not dealing with any specific dealer - carsdirect will call you and will go over colors, options etc. with you, than they will locate the exact car for you. Than the dealer calls you to set up time that works for you, and when you show up, the car is ready - washed, filled with gas etc. All you have to do is sign the paperwork - no surprises. If you don't want to test drive it before leaving, you are in and out in less than an hour.

Costco is more than likely going to be a waste of time; the dealer will offer you low selling price, than add on fees. You will have to insist on final out the door price including all fees and taxes.

So I just checked carsdirect for your model in my area. MSRP $26,975, Target Price $25,379. You could simply email dealers and tell them they have to be lower than this price if they want your business. If you are in major metro area, some dealers will laugh at you, some will try very hard to sell you at $200-$500 more than that price, and you may find one or two that will match or beat this price by a little, not much. You will get best offers if you wait till Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

Good luck!
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

marbleous wrote:
I recommend you make a new email account for this strategy because you will be inundated by the number of follow up emails. After you buy, just delete the account.
+1 I always use a separate email account when contacting businesses/vendors/sellers versus friends. Too many of my friends are notifying me to ignore their emails because their email address has been compromised :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Browser

Post by Browser »

I bought a CRV several years ago and even solicited quotes from dealers in distant cities that I "might" be willing to travel to if I got a fantastic deal, but probably wouldn't because of the trouble and hassle. In any event, I got the lowest quote from one of those dealers and used it to bargain face-to-face with the local dealers, saying "I a $XX,XXX quoted by another dealer. Can you match that price?- I'd much rather buy from you. Didn't mention the other deal was 500 miles away. Took 30 seconds and I had a new CRV! The thing about the internet is that dealers don't know where you live, and you can contact dealers in Timbuktu if you want.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

Raymond wrote:It's hard to tell what discount you might expect off MSRP. My wife and I used the "Fighting Chance" system, which is essentially soliciting e-mail bids from dealers - they know better than you how low they're willing to go to make the sale.

A particular dealership may be willing to sell for a lower price than the others because (for example) they need just one more sale to meet a sales goal, but you have no idea which dealership that is.

They key thing is not to "negotiate" with the dealers, you want them to *bid* for your business - specify the make, model, year, trim level, color, whatever, in your e-mail. I wouldn't even mention any dollar amount, just see what they reply with. If they reply, "well, we don't do business that way", well then, you just discovered who you're not buying from :twisted:

[Edit] Obviously, this only works with new cars, as you are buying an essentially identical product.

Just my non-professional view, YMMV, IMHO, etc. :happy
Another vote for fighting chance. I highly recommend buying the packet of info that they sell. Put together your numbers and then call fighting chance up to make sure you aren't missing anything,

One thing that's very important is holdback, and its very powerful in terms of the bidding/negotiating process.

Bought 2011 crv last year couldn't be happier with fighting chance, the car, or the price.
TPerry

Post by TPerry »

If anyone's on this chat, I'd love an answer to this question: If I take advantage of something like the Fighting Chance package, does that preclude any info on trading in my current car? Or is that included in FC's efforts?
a2z

Post by a2z »

We recently bought a 2013 Honda CRV EX-L AWD. I used https://ec.consumerreports.org/ec/aps/o ... EY=I0AH0L8 which costs $14 per vehicle. I found it very very helpful. After I got the Consumer Report Bottom Line Price I began negotiating. I started emailing a half dozen local dealers in MPLS area with an offer and arrived at close to CR Bottom Price. I used the Bottom Price as my goal. The winning dealer coincidentally was the closest dealer to our home. I actually beat the Bottom Price by $24. I was able to beat the Bottom by taking advantage of a $500 discount granted to non-Honda vehicles owners 2003 to present. Your results may differ but I found it (Consumer Report Bottom Line Price) crucial when negotiating. I had no trade-in.

Best
Phil
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

try Truecar.com... I looked up CRV-EX for my region at your MSRP and Boch in Massachusetts offers at $24,813 - below invoice (including destination charge).
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

I use carsdirect.com as a guide then contact dealers via email. Unfortunately in our area many dealers just will not respond to Internet or email. They seem to just write off any business it could bring. Especially true for popular high value cars like Toyota and Honda. Someday I may actually try buying a car through cars direct. I have found Costco and AAA to be a waste. The old come in and see our secret price list game. I just do not trust the process.