New car: I'm about to replace my 2003 Accord V6.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: New car: I'm about to replace my 2003 Accord V6.

Postby stoptothink » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
pjtallman wrote:I came from a V8 and bought a VW Golf TDI. Great acceleration, you can turn on a dime, the automatic shifts perfectly and I am getting 40mpg in about a 50/50 mix of city/hiway driving (when I drove from LA to SF on freeway I was getting almost 50). VW diesels have an above average reliability. All the VW reliability concerns are from their gas engine powered vehicles. The same TDI engine is used in the Golf, Jetta, and Passat. Strongly recommend you give them a look.

You have got to be kidding me! Do a quick search on "HPFP AND TDI" to see tales of woe with failed high pressure fuel pumps on the TDIs and some people getting caught with $8k repair bills. I went for the Sportswagen with the fabled 2.0 turbo and what I lose in mileage I gain in smiles/mile!

It's not the engine but everything around it; the aforementioned fuel pump, EGR, timing belts, MAF, 02 sensors are extremely common problems and far more expensive to fix than on a normal vehicle. And absolutely do not get the automatic, changing the fluid in the DSG transmission is a $1k dealership job because it requires very specialized tools. They can be great vehicles, if you have the time and $ to properly maintain them.
stoptothink

Postby RobG » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 am

mmmodem wrote:My coworker whom claims he drove manual VWs his whole life pulled in to work a few months ago in CRV. He told me his Jetta was the last straw. He loves the brand and their cars but the poor reliability turned him to Honda.

This year's JD Power survey says it all pretty much sums it up for VW.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/0 ... decimated/

This is a shame because the Jetta TDI has potential to be a great car. Hope they get it figured out.
Stay thrifty my friends.
RobG

Postby interplanetjanet » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 am

communipaw wrote:And I've learned that the turning circle isn't connected only with the wheel base as I had thought but also depends upon drive, front wheel drive seems to have a bigger turning circle than rear wheel drive.

This is generally because the CV joints used on the front axles in FWD (or AWD) vehicles have limitations on their operating angles - so the tires simply can't turn nearly as far. It's not universal, some FWD vehicles turn their wheels harder than some RWD ones, but it is the case more often than not.

Some 4-wheel steering setups have used them to advantage in reducing turning circles at low speed. These feel a little peculiar at first but make for extremely tight turns. The Lexus GS is one example - it shaves almost 10% off of its turning radius when equipped with 4-wheel steering and has been described as extremely maneuverable in tight quarters considering its size.
interplanetjanet

Postby chrisjul » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Could not be happier with my Prius. Have owned several Hondas...Toyota for me...especially the Prius.

GL
chrisjul

Postby tarheal93 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Look at Consumer Reports;

great deals now on Mazda 6 2012--over $3,000.00 dealer incentive; can get one loaded for $26,000.00 which is a good deal; less than $20,000.00 on a basic model.
I wait until the dealer incentives are high on a new car I want to purchase; this means planning out your purchase like you are doing; also go to the dealer when you know they are not crowded. We go on a Saturday in the Fall when the major university football team is playing. Very few go shopping for a car then. Of course it is near the end of the month as well.

Good luck. Bottom line is there a lot of good quality cars out there. Find something you want and at a good deal and try to keep for 10 years.
tarheal93

Postby shashi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:44 pm

I have owned 3 Hondas and only Hondas. In fact, I have 2003 Accord that I bought in 2002. 8 years later, it started consuming lots of oil. I had to change every 1000 miles. After trying with dealers and well known mechanics I went ahead and replaced engine. At 160k miles now it has 2006 engine that had 50k miles. Everything is fine so far and I want to keep it another 5 years. But I have started to dislike Honda and will never buy one again. In fact I am heart-broken with Honda which is terrible.
shashi

Postby mike143 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 pm

shashi wrote:I have owned 3 Hondas and only Hondas. In fact, I have 2003 Accord that I bought in 2002. 8 years later, it started consuming lots of oil. I had to change every 1000 miles. After trying with dealers and well known mechanics I went ahead and replaced engine. At 160k miles now it has 2006 engine that had 50k miles. Everything is fine so far and I want to keep it another 5 years. But I have started to dislike Honda and will never buy one again. In fact I am heart-broken with Honda which is terrible.

V6 or I4?

Never mind I found some info: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showt ... hp?t=62586

Wasn't aware of the issue. I have an 04 Accord I4 bought at 108k now with 167k. I drive the piss out of it and it uses maybe a quart very 5k.

We did have one of our 07 Civics block crack at work but Honda covered it in full and have short block replaced in less than 2 days. a08-044 - Engine Overheats or Leaks Coolant.PDF
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby wander » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:31 pm

I would recommend Nissan Maxima.
wander

Postby CountryBoy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm

My wife just got a 2013 Nissan Altima and loves it.
CountryBoy

Postby cjackson0 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:15 am

Keep It Simple wrote:
mike143 wrote:I personally would stay away from Honda V6 automatic transmissions, they historically have had high probability of early failure.

What on earth are you talking about...an isolated incident? Honda V6 engines are extremely reliable. I don't think you will find too many people here who would agree with your statement or that have had many bad experiences with the Honda engine in general. I read mostly praise for it.

K.I.S.

Consumer Reports rates the 2003 and 2004 Accord V6 as 'worse than average' (their lowest rating) for Major Transmission issues. All years since then are 'better than average' (second highest) or 'above average' (highest rating). Exactly the same case for the Odyssey minivan. Honda had some fairly major transmission issues during those years and appear to have corrected it.

Honda's are not flawless, but I have personally been impressed with their quality in the 1998 Accord 4 cylinder I owned. I would still own it today if a growing family did not necessitate a minivan (I chose the Toyota).

Back to the original question, the OP has some specific things he wants in a car and may just have to test drive everything under the sun until he finds what's right for him.

P.S. We enjoy our Mazda6 but I don't think it's the most reliable car (certainly not the worst) and it doesn't turn as tight as my old 1998 Accord or even or new Toyota Sienna minivan in parking lot maneuvering.
Sent from my iphone
cjackson0

Postby blevine » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:52 am

Two top rated brands per Consumer's recently were Honda and Subaru, in terms of reliability.

I bought my 2nd Subaru outback, under $35k for a 2012 model last year.
I suggest it as it has a shockingly small turning radius, very easy to maneuver.
I bought the 4 cylinder model, but with every other upgrade, and kept it under 35k.
I didn't feel i needed the 6, 4s are getting more powerful and this one is fine for highway
entrance and lane changes. As far as maneuvering, not only is the turning radius great,
but at that price point you can get the backup camera, making it much easier parking.

Have the car for a year now, and runs perfectly, no issues. Great purchase so far.

They do make smaller models if you must get a smaller car, but I feel this is the best
car Subaru makes in terms of comfort with reasonable maneuvering and decent, not great,
gas mileage.

But I agree with others, something will have to give in your criterial.
I was a v6 only buyer years ago, but no more...
blevine

Postby interplanetjanet » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Just as an aside (and I know this doesn't quite fit the OPs requirements) I rented a VW Passat on a business trip and have been stunned at how tightly it turns. It's exceptionally nimble in tight parking lots as a consequence, even considering its size - while it's considerably bigger than the '00 Corolla I normally drive, it can turn much harder. Very nice!
interplanetjanet

Postby mike143 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:Just as an aside (and I know this doesn't quite fit the OPs requirements) I rented a VW Passat on a business trip and have been stunned at how tightly it turns. It's exceptionally nimble in tight parking lots as a consequence, even considering its size - while it's considerably bigger than the '00 Corolla I normally drive, it can turn much harder. Very nice!

I would never recommend a VW to anyone: J.D. Power 2013 Vehicle Dependability

They are historically unreliable and expensive to maintain, very unBoglehead.
mike143

Postby jwblue » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

I wouldn't buy before at least taking a look at a Nissan.

A better driving experience compared to Honda and Toyota. Less expensive as well.

Probably not as reliable, but the price difference will pay for any difference in repair costs.

I would take those initial reliability surveys with a grain of salt. The surveys put a problem with a door handle in the same category as an engine issue.
jwblue

Postby WatchinU » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Try the 2013 Honda Accord. It drives nice. Do some research. There are many that recommend it.

I've owned and driven Hondas and Toyotas for the last 20 years. one thing i learned recently from my mechanic is when they do a recall -- they replace the recalled part with the same part. They are not really fixing a design issue. I have an Acura TL (in Honda family) and I've replaced broken motor mounts multiple times. the mechanic says...its the way it was designed. the ignition switch was recalled and replaced under warranty. then years later it had an issue. I replaced it and that is when I learned -- its the same part but its newer. no fix to the design issue.

I take good care of my cars -- regular oil changes and maintenance is performed. The cars last me a long time...I have 186+ thousand miles. still running good.

any car will eventually have some type of issue if you drive it long enough. I see my friends with other cars and they constantly have their cars in the shop and run up a big bill for all these repairs. yes, I've had my share of issues but I'm not disappointed. I've gotten my $ worth out of these cars and its nice not having a car payment.
WatchinU

Postby mike143 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm

WatchinU wrote:they replace the recalled part with the same part.

The one recall and one technical service bulletin for our 2007 Civic's were both revised parts. It is purely illogical to replace a recalled part with the same part.

Edit: After some further reading seems the mounts were warrantied if failed under warranty or prematurely. Did see some aftermarket mounts the corrected the issue. Looks like Honda felt they were a wear item.
mike143

Postby guitarguy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 am

interplanetjanet wrote:
communipaw wrote:And I've learned that the turning circle isn't connected only with the wheel base as I had thought but also depends upon drive, front wheel drive seems to have a bigger turning circle than rear wheel drive.

This is generally because the CV joints used on the front axles in FWD (or AWD) vehicles have limitations on their operating angles - so the tires simply can't turn nearly as far. It's not universal, some FWD vehicles turn their wheels harder than some RWD ones, but it is the case more often than not.

There are a lot more factors to turning radius than CVJ operating angle limits. In fact, most CVJs don't even achieve higher than 85% (give or take) of their maximum operating limit (safety factor included) during normal vehicle operation.

The transverse mounting of FWD powertrains is a big culprit that limits turning radius because the footprint takes up more overall width and usable area. Higher angle CVJs and design demands for steeper turning angles also significantly increase costs...which is always a factor. FWD vehicles just have more to cope with focusing on both transmitting power and steering.

For the record I've been a CVJ engineer for 5+ years.
guitarguy

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues