What the best value in anti-virus software

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
beachmom

Re: What the best value in anti-virus software

Post by beachmom »

Could someone comment on best parental controls filters? We all hate Norton family. Unfortunately teen son has explored too much in the past.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote:I used MSE for about 2 years until last month when my Windwos 7 computer got infected by a stubborn trojan named "Alureon.A" - which MSE detected but could not remove. It advised I downlod Windows Defender, create a bootable CD with it, and boot from that CD. It didn't remove the trojan either. I kept getting the blue screen of death.

I then installed Avast free, it detected and claimed to have moved the virus to its "virus chest". The blue screen problem disappeared.
Once you have malware of that level (keylogger and rootkit), it is best to reinstall, not play anti-virus roulette. This particular malware also alters the MBR to call a bootstrap routine for the malware while booting the OS, so you need to make sure to reinstall AND clean the MBR during the reinstall process.
You are correct. Although Avast claimed to have "moved the virus to its virus chest" by doing a scan at boot time, it did not delete it. To test that, I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled MSE. MSE detected the virus again (and blue screen came back). Microsoft's free Windows Defender boot time scan could not remove it either - MSE detected it again (and blue screen kept happening). So I decided to reinstall Windows 7 - and used a different drive altogether (a new SSD) to remove all doubt.

p.s. It is very important to keep all your software updated to the latest updates by doing automatic updates. I found out through some subsequent research that I got this nasty malware because I was doing manual updates of Adobe Flash plugin.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Here's my anti-virus plan since the above Alureon.A trojan scare...

1. Stop using Windows if possible. Move to an alternate OS, linux (example: ubuntu) or Mac OS or Chromium. This is not because the other OS is inherently any safer, it's just that virus coders target Windows because more people use it - so they get more bang for their "hard work".

2. If using Windows, install as few additional software as possible - for example: don't install Java if you do not need it. CCleaner is a good tool to audit all installed software and remove what you don't need.

3. Choose automatic updates for Windows and all installed software.

4. Use alternatives to common Microsoft programs targeted by virus coders. Examples: use Chrome instead of Internet Explorer, and replace Outlook with Thunderbird or simply use a web based email like gmail on the browser.
--

Per #1 above, I have moved my daughter's desktop to Ubuntu (she never had a problem with the switch - todays kids are naturals with technology), replaced my wife's laptop with a Samsung Chromebook (she loves it's simplicity, speed, and light weight). Only the desktop connected to the TV for streaming content over the web (we got rid of cable) has Windows on it because some websites we watch only works on Internet Explorer. We also use LastPass on all the computers to avoid having to type passwords and have separate complex long passwords for every site.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:We also use LastPass on all the computers to avoid having to type passwords and have separate complex long passwords for every site.
That's good, because my next recommendation was going to be to change all of your passwords now that you have reinstalled. That malware you "caught" likes to steal login credentials. Changing all the passwords is a much easier proposition with a password locker like LastPass or KeePass in use.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote:We also use LastPass on all the computers to avoid having to type passwords and have separate complex long passwords for every site.
That's good, because my next recommendation was going to be to change all of your passwords now that you have reinstalled. That malware you "caught" likes to steal login credentials. Changing all the passwords is a much easier proposition with a password locker like LastPass or KeePass in use.

I Have found LastPass Google authenticater to be invaluable :happy

http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-o ... enticator/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

GettingCloseNow wrote:My new laptop came with Norton installed and I've read that it's difficult to really uninstall. Any suggestions for a non-geek to clean this out of my system before activating Microsoft Defender (Windows 8 version of MSE)?
It's a pain. I had to call both McAfee and Norton to uninstall the remnants of their stuff on my system. I now use Avast.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
mur44

Post by mur44 »

I currently use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) on my
Windows 7 desktop PC.

Is there any incremental benefit to having Avast antivirus also installed?
It looks like Avast requires registration and it gives annoying messages
when it updates (daily) it's software.

Also, any advice on what I would need on my Windows 8 laptop?
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I used to run the free version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware, but a few weeks ago they released a catastrophic version that (apparently irreparably except by wiping the disk and reloading) trashed the software on systems. I had not run that version myself, but it was all over their forum.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The best value in anti-virus is COMMON SENSE. Don't click on sketchy looking links, don't open every attachment that is emailed to you, etc. That is the primary reason why I've had ONE case of malware in 18 years of computing.

With that said, the only software I use is MSE. It's been mentioned enough already in this thread, so I won't elaborate.
jwblue

Post by jwblue »

Avast free edition.

It has spyware protection which most other free antivirus programs don't have.

Been using it for years and never an issue.
mac808

Post by mac808 »

AVG works well for me
tigerman3

Post by tigerman3 »

Many providers are now giving out anti-virus protection and security suites for free. I use Norton Security Suite provided by Xfinity.
Last edited by tigerman3 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog

CONSUMER REPORTS anti-virus ratings.

Post by Sheepdog »

CONSUMER REPORTS printed a review of Security Software in the June 2013 issue. I suggest you find a copy, prehaps at your library, so you can read it
They rated the free software, as follows: Note that the number in parenthesis is their overall score. You can compare these numbers with the pay ones below. They recommend only the first two of the free ones.
1. Avast Free (58) Recommended
2. Avira Free (55) Recommended
3. AVG Free (49)
4. Microsoft Security Essentials (43)

They rated 14 pay security software programs. I will show only the recommended ones. Note that these have higher scores than the free ones. However, they wrote that the 2 free ones recommended above would be suitable for most people.
1. G Data Internet Security (67) Recommended
2. ESET Smart Security(66) Recommended
3. F-Secure Internet Security ((64) Recommended
4. Kaspersky Internet Security (63) Recommended
5. Avira Internet Security (62) Recommended
They tested 9 more pay security software and all had a lower score than the recommended pay ones shown here..
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

Sheepdog wrote:Consumer Reports printed a review of Security Software in the June 2013 issue. I suggest you find a copy, prehaps at your library, so you can read it
They rated the free software, as follows: Note that the number in parenthesis is their overall score. You can compare these numbers with the pay ones below. They recommend only the first two of the free ones.
1. Avast Free (58) Recommended
2. Avira Free (55) Recommended
3. AVG Free (49)
4. Microsoft Security Essentials (43)

They rated 14 pay security software programs. I will show only the recommended ones. Note that these have higher scores than the free ones. However, they wrote that the 2 free ones recommended above would be suitable for most people.
1. G Data Internet Security (67) Recommended
2. ESET Smart Security(66) Recommended
3. F-Secure Internet Security ((64) Recommended
4. Kaspersky Internet Security (63) Recommended
5. Avira Internet Security (62) Recommended
They tested 9 more pay security software and all had a lower score than the recommended pay ones shown here..
Interesting that neither McAfee nor Norton get a mention. In my opinion, for good reason.

After heroic measures to expunge McAfee and Norton from our systems, we now use Avast. My only complaint is the annoying popups and audio where Avast tells you it did something. I have still not figured out how to only get the relevant messages on optional downloads and required restarts.

Keith

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction