Boglehead Concert Goers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Boglehead Concert Goers?

Postby guitarguy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Just curious if anyone else loves going to concerts but hates the high ticket prices!!

My wife and I try to go to a couple a year but we limit it to acts we really like, and in particular we look for shows where we like more than just the main performing act. We're going to 2 shows this year so far, both of which have great opening bands as well as the main act.

Because we go to so few concerts, we generally bite the bullet and buy pretty good seats when we go. I know people that have great luck the day before the event on stub hub or Craigslist, but because we limit it to acts we really want to see, we don't like taking the chance of things not lining up and us missing the show.

Just curious if you all have the same experiences, and if there are any tips or tricks when it comes to purchasing tickets.
guitarguy

Re: Boglehead Concert Goers?

Postby stevep001 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm

I've pretty much given up on arena shows and am mostly a clubgoer at this point. There are a lot of $25 shows around and I'd rather get four of those in an intimate club setting than pay $100 for a decent ticket in an arena.

Most arena tickets nowadays are distributed through means other than the public onsale. Some tactics:

. sign up for radio station newsletters
. get an American Express card at a high enough level to get ticket access
stevep001

Postby nirvines88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm

I saw The Who late last year...the tickets were expensive, but it was worth it. They're getting a bit old, so who knows how much longer they'd be playing.

I see a few local bands here and there too.
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard
nirvines88

Postby prudent » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Darn few since the Grateful Dead stopped touring. And I hate Ticketmaster, so that's another deterrent.

Agreed the prices are out of this world.
prudent

Postby stemikger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I feel your pain. I'm going to the Beacon Theater in NYC next week to see a band my daughter and her friend LOVE (my daughter is 18 and her friend is 19) and yes this 48 year old dad is cramping their style and going with them.

Because it was part of my daughter's Christmas present I wanted to make sure I got good seats. I went through a broker and got 4th row center and paid $156 per seat plus a huge service charge of $85. If I would have waited a few days before the show I could have still gotten those seats for 90 each, but like you said you are taking a risk of not being able to get seats at all or very bad seats.

We were schedued to see the show January 28th, but the day of the performance one of the girls got sick, so now were are going February 19th. If you haven't been to the Beacon Theater it is an amazing place to see a show.

The band I'm taking the girls to is Tegan and Sara. They are very big in Canada, and always sell out when them come to New York. Although I'm sure I will be the oldest guy in the auidence, their music is really good.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby MathWizard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 pm

I go to chamber concerts. Much easier on the ears and the wallet.

I joined our local Chamber Music organization. This gives you tickets to their 5 concerts a year
for $100, (these are small 3-4 person groups), and an extra ticket to bring a friend. Local
music lover's and businesses subsidize the group. You listen to good, up and coming artists,
who often have won young artist's awards.
MathWizard

Postby Cherokee8215 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 pm

I don't go to rock/pop concerts anymore, really. Too expensive these days for the value received and I CANNOT deal with the long lines, crowds of people, inability to see anything unless paying $150+ for a ticket, $8 for cheap beer/wine (and they pat you down at the gate if they think you have a flask), marijuana smoke clouds, driving through parking lots with broken glass everywhere from the tailgaters, etc.

If I were to win the lotto somehow, maybe I'd go to a concert if I could have my helicopter lower me into the seat right before the show with a winch and lift me away when its over.
Cherokee8215

Postby Rob5TCP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:36 pm

My last few concerts have been at the Gramercy Theater (Blender Theater) in NY; where I saw Epica. They are a Dutch, Gothic Symphonic Metal band headed by a
female mezzo soprano lead singer. Interesting crowd, from heavy metal to Gothic, to those that looked like they came from the Opera.
Rob5TCP

Postby WHL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm typically fine with the ticket price itself, but the convenience fees, arena fee, fee surcharge BS makes me sick. The worst is the charge to print the tickets yourself - HOW DO THEY JUSTIFY THAT?!?!
WHL

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby jvclark02 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:57 pm

It's not so much the price but rather the crowd and the traffic that I dislike
Experience is something you gain shortly after you really needed it.
jvclark02

Postby boomergeneration » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 pm

I've always wanted to hear Bruce Springstein in concert and last October finally got the chance. He played at the U of VA and I thought tickets were reasonably priced--$96. for a front row first balcony. It was worth every cent. Three hours, no opening act, no intermission. High, high energy.

boomergeneration
boomergeneration

Postby Juniormint » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm a major concert goer. And yes, ticket prices suck, as does paying for parking and drinks :annoyed . But I enjoy going to concerts so if it's someone I love, I'm all in. I only go to concerts for bands that really, really like and I usually purchase tickets for myself and my best friend(s). If my friend likes a band that she just has to go to, she splurges and gets the tickets for herself and me. I think it's an unspoken rule between us as it always works out that way.

I stopped buying tickets online and usually stop by a box office to purchase them instead. Saves me $12 to $15 dollars in service "fees." I also tend to get there early and find free parking and walk the rest of the way there unless it's a bad area, then I just fork up some money so that my car is safe. I also bring my own water as many times I've been trapped by the crowd and it's either lose the most amazing spot you've spent an hour trying to get (standing concerts) or get out and pay for drink and get stuck in the back of the crowd. I can't bring other drinks, but we grab something to eat before or after, so during the concert I'm good.
Juniormint

Postby Juniormint » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm

The most expensive concert for me will be actually flying to Ireland to see Van Morrison. If he doesn't do a concert in America in the next year, I am planning to vacation to Ireland just so that I can see him sing live. :D
Juniormint

Postby JCom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 pm

I saw Eminem at the Kansas City Speedway. Only $40 and it was the most captivating performance I've ever seen. Surprisingly, the crowd there was MUCH friendlier than the crowds at rock concerts.
JCom

Postby Clark & Addison » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:46 pm

I haven't been to a concert in 8 or 9 years because I don't like paying the price and the fact that this particular concert left me more than upset as the signer that was born in a Small Town spent half the concert spewing his political beliefs. That being said, I did just recently buy tickets to see George Jones next month as this is his final tour and the date he is in town happens to fall on my birthday.
Clark & Addison

Postby stemikger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 am

Rob5TCP wrote:My last few concerts have been at the Gramercy Theater (Blender Theater) in NY; where I saw Epica. They are a Dutch, Gothic Symphonic Metal band headed by a
female mezzo soprano lead singer. Interesting crowd, from heavy metal to Gothic, to those that looked like they came from the Opera.

Wow. That sounds interesting.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby Igglesman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am

I saw over 50 groups in 2012. On pace to double that in 2013. Small and large venues (no stadiums and arenas). I avoid Ticketmaster completely. Last show was a couple of thousand bucks... Cayamo ... it is a cruise with basically non-stop music, we take over the entire 1600 passenger ship and have concerts from noon to 2 in the morning. Great music, great time. Google it.
Igglesman

Postby Cherokee8215 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:10 am

stemikger wrote:The band I'm taking the girls to is Tegan and Sara. They are very big in Canada, and always sell out when them come to New York. Although I'm sure I will be the oldest guy in the auidence, their music is really good.

I like Tegan and Sara as well, but $241 a ticket to see them is just nuts in my mind, and why I don't really go to concerts anymore. They are gaining in popularity, but they aren't the freaking Beatles in 1964.

I think $50-$75 inclusive of all fees would be a fair price for bands of this "category."
Cherokee8215

Postby guitarguy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am

JCom wrote:I saw Eminem at the Kansas City Speedway. Only $40 and it was the most captivating performance I've ever seen. Surprisingly, the crowd there was MUCH friendlier than the crowds at rock concerts.

I've seen Eminem 3 times. He is incredible. Hands down the best live hip-hop performer, and probably the best overall rap artist ever.

"Glad" to hear others experience the same pain we do. I agree there are lots of small club type acts to choose from...but most of them aren't artists we really would want to pay to go see, even just because it's a cheap ticket. I'd rather pick and choose a select few acts to see, and really try to pick ones where we like multiple acts.

Our 2 this year are Maroon 5 with Neon Trees and Owl City (I really dig the first 2 acts, the 3rd I could take or leave). We paid ~$90 a ticket incl all fees. And secondly Train with Gavin DeGraw and The Script (both wife and I like all 3 bands). Same price. Our rationale is that because we're seeing 3 bands for that price...it's not that bad...I guess... :annoyed
guitarguy

Postby swaption » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 am

Yes, high ticket prices are nuts, and apparently with no discernible pattern. I saw The Who and actually thought the price was ok, but the Rolling Stones for example are insane, and actually not great live (at least based on what they play). My big one was going to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Went once, and then basically had to go again. Some of these bands now are like being able to see Babe Ruth play live. When they are gone, they will be gone for good. The Who were fantastic, but obviously showing quite a bit of rust. Neil Young and Crazy Horse could pass for being in their twenties, even still producing some of their best new music. But I am very selective in terms of who I will pay to see. Can get some last minute deals on Stub Hub.
swaption

Postby Feb29 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 am

I used to go to lots of rock concerts when I was young. But as time progressed that music experience became less interesting, more expensive and more of a hassle.

Lately, I've been going to a local symphony that does 5 concerts a year for $110. Parking is free, the concertgoers are considerate, and I've got reserved seats in the 7th row. I'm glad I can help support our local musicians.
Feb29

Postby Calm Man » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:11 pm

nirvines88 wrote:I saw The Who late last year...the tickets were expensive, but it was worth it. They're getting a bit old, so who knows how much longer they'd be playing.

I see a few local bands here and there too.

Nirvine, the WHO is my favorite group and always will be as I do not know of nor listen to the currecnt "artists". I went to a concert at Madison Square Garden 8 or 9 years ago and it was great. I then went to a concert in Philadelphia about 5 years ago and said "their voices are shot". I saw them in 12/12/12/ and the voices are gone. But it is good that some WHO fans still think them worth seeing as I do hope they continue to appear.

As to concert prices questioned by the OP. I have found that the same thing applies to box office prices for all professional sporting events and concert and entertainment of any kind (Broadway shows, etc). Although I can now afford anything, on principal and to the chagrin of people who know me, I refuse to participate in the game anymore and will not purchase any new tickets. On occasion I might get something at stubhub but only if there are steep discounts. I am probably cutting off my nose to spite my face but I am outraged at what has happened with ticket prices and the systematic elimination of possible live entertainment attendance by people who are not rather well off. Stubhub has been a savior for these people.
Calm Man

Postby TSR » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I am a regular concertgoer and also an occasional cheapskate. Here's what I have found, in no particular order:

1. This may be a problem of location for you. I live in a very concert-friendly city where you can see great acts in clubs (for $25 and less) or mid-sized venues (for around $50). If that's not the case for you, you may need to find the nearest "music" city and check out some of the clubs there.

2. Reasonably priced venues may make you stand. In such places, there are often a few chairs available. If you don't like to stand or can't do it for two hours, make an effort to get there early. In other words, find ways to make the smaller venues more friendly if this is an issue for you.

3. Get on the email lists of acts that you like and venues you enjoy. Buying through ticket broker services is what's killing you. Someone mentioned Tegan & Sara at the Beacon (wish I could go to that, btw). Tickets for that show are probably $40-60 at the box office (just a guess), but they skyrocket through a broker. Stalk acts/venues and then buy tickets right when they become available.

4. Another trick for avoiding brokers: consider going alone to shows or sitting separately. A lot of times you will try to buy two tickets to shows and it will say they are unavailable because they are trying to seat you TOGETHER. If you truly love an act and just want to see the show, there are probably great individual tickets still available. At that Beacon show, for example, the real hang-up was probably trying to seat three people together., and that drove the poster to purchase through a broker. I think my favorite concert experience ever was watching The National play the Ryman in Nashville alone sitting about six rows back. Reasonable people might certainly prefer to have a more social experience in a concert, but you can have other great musical experiences this way.

5. If you are trying to see Bruce Springsteen, The Who, etc. (all mentioned above), you will pay $100/ticket or more -- no avoiding it. You do not need to see mega-acts to enjoy great live music. Some of the best shows of my life have cost $12 and involved me standing three feet from amazing artists (The Walkmen and Beach House at the Earl in Atlanta, for example). In my experience, you do not need to be some sort of crazy music expert to follow up-and-coming acts that are really good. The internet has sort of democratized taste that way. Check out the "year's best" lists on sites like pitchfork.com or avclub.com (or other publications that meet your tastes), buy some albums, and follow the bands, get on their mailing lists. That will open up a lot of cheaper shows for you, and I promise that those more intimate experiences will be as good as or better than the $100-per ticket shows at arenas.

Good luck and happy listening!
TSR

Postby chaz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm

I like the concerts on PBS.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby petrico » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 pm

The ticket prices bother me some, but the ambiance can be a bigger detraction by far. Some venues can ruin the experience. I don't go to many huge concerts anymore; most of the time they seem like more hassle than they're worth.

Once time, even after we bought tickets and dragged ourselves to the Megacorp Theatre, the experience was so horrendous we scalped the tickets for face value and drove back home before we could finish getting frisked and abandoning our ordinary belongings just to get in the door. Paying for the privilege of hanging out in the mood equivalent of an airport terminal is not my idea of a good time. Nothing at all could be carried in (to assure strong vendor sales), billboards and pavement everywhere, guards posted like snipers on watchtowers every few hundred feet along the stockade fence perimeter. The sharp contrast to the dozens and dozens of great concerts I had been to over the prior 30 years really shocked and dismayed me. If that's what it's come to, it's not for me.

Thinking about that aborted concert for this post left me remembering my earliest experiences as an impressionable kid in the mid- to late-70s. Ah, the old Music Inn in Lenox. Those carefree and festive shows would forever influence my expectations of large music events.

http://www.musicinn.org/1970s-concert-schedule.html

http://tinypic.com/r/24p9keq/6

http://tinypic.com/r/34dx3/6

These days, I agree with others that the music and experience at clubs is more satisfying than huge concerts. The large events I will still attend tend to be multiple day festivals, with lots of familiar and unfamiliar performers. Early-bird tickets are usually offered at deep discounts.

--Pete
petrico

Postby greg24 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 am

The ticket prices are what they are, so I find it easiest to control my discretionary spending at a show. Park for free or cheap and walk a little further. I don't drink at shows mostly so I don't spend my time at the beer stands and the washroom, but it also saves a lot of money compared to some of my friends. If you eat out before the show, don't go crazy.
greg24

Postby leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:22 pm

The extreme mark up on "Convenience Fees" in the last 10 years drives me nuts. In the past these were $1 to $2 and a relatively minor part of the ticket price.

Now, they are often 20% to 30% of the ticket price. It is an outrageous charge that you don't find out about until you are actually purchasing the tickets.

So, between ticket prices and convenience fees - I reserve live shows for bands I really, really enjoy.

Have a couple coming up in March - that are at different ends of the music spectrum - Stanley Jordan/Kevin Eubanks and then Volbeat later in the month.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Postby stemikger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:
stemikger wrote:The band I'm taking the girls to is Tegan and Sara. They are very big in Canada, and always sell out when them come to New York. Although I'm sure I will be the oldest guy in the auidence, their music is really good.

I like Tegan and Sara as well, but $241 a ticket to see them is just nuts in my mind, and why I don't really go to concerts anymore. They are gaining in popularity, but they aren't the freaking Beatles in 1964.

I think $50-$75 inclusive of all fees would be a fair price for bands of this "category."

LOL. No one is the Beatles in 1964. However they are very big in the Lesbian community so my guess is to many of those women they are pretty close. I really enjoy their music but more importantly I love the postive image they present to the gay community especially a gay teen which my daughter is one.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby Dibbels81 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:51 pm

A big bonus of being a fan of non-mainstream music is that ticket prices are much cheaper. I live in Las Vegas, and see bands like Clutch and Volbeat for 20 bucks a pop. So, essentially, change your taste in music. :D
Dibbels81

Postby mickeyd » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:09 pm

I refuse to go to big venue concerts any more. I occasionally, however, catch Willie Nelson when he plays at a near-by dive, err honky-tonk, that he has been playing for about 50 years. Cheaper entrance fee, free parking and cheaper beer. :beer
Last edited by mickeyd on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Dibbels81 wrote:A big bonus of being a fan of non-mainstream music is that ticket prices are much cheaper. I live in Las Vegas, and see bands like Clutch and Volbeat for 20 bucks a pop. So, essentially, change your taste in music. :D

$20 for Volbeat. Nice!
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Postby TSR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm

stemikger wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:

LOL. No one is the Beatles in 1964. However they are very big in the Lesbian community so my guess is to many of those women they are pretty close. I really enjoy their music but more importantly I love the postive image they present to the gay community especially a gay teen which my daughter is one.

Perhaps more importantly, it sounds like she's got a good dad. I remember some great concert experiences in which my dad cramped my style as well. Have fun!
TSR

Postby bdpb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 pm

For a really good deal try something like Lollapalooza. All day concert with lots of different acts. All for a little over $100 a day.

Last year's Sunday was excellent. The Devil Makes Three, Gary Clark Jr., Florence and the Machine, and Jack White all in one day. All four different performers. There are ton of choices and you can't possibly see all the acts you'd like to see.
bdpb

Postby stemikger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:28 pm

TSR wrote:
stemikger wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:

Perhaps more importantly, it sounds like she's got a good dad. I remember some great concert experiences in which my dad cramped my style as well. Have fun!

Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby MP173 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:42 pm

My wife and I used to go to the yearly Steely Dan concerts. Funny how the anti touring band of the 70's decided it was ok to tour this past decade.

My theory is the nostalgia groups of our era realize the boomers have the money and the memories and will pay for the experience of being "Hey 19" again.

Ed
MP173

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby wilpat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm

I saw Elvis a few months ago (about 700 months) and was shocked by the $9.00 price of a ticket!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
wilpat

Postby Snowjob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 am

I used to do about 15-20 shows a year. Mostly Rock and Jam band stuff, now more folky underground stuff. Grew up in the 80s and 90s so had a lot of alternative / grunge influence early on. Got me into classic rock and the explosion of phish got me into jam bands for a bit. Last few shows I've been to actually were across the spectrum. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, is a local favorite and altough I want to see her again soon. Saw Tool a few times and followed Soundgarden down the east coast for a week or so on their reunion tour. Last show was a blue grass festival and my next will be some local gigs that I've been meaning to catch.
Snowjob

Postby stemikger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 am

MP173 wrote:My wife and I used to go to the yearly Steely Dan concerts. Funny how the anti touring band of the 70's decided it was ok to tour this past decade.

My theory is the nostalgia groups of our era realize the boomers have the money and the memories and will pay for the experience of being "Hey 19" again.

Ed

+1

This is so true. When Kiss had their renion tour back in 1996 I went nuts. They were the band I loved when I was growing up. I wound up seeing them everytime they came around which added up to a lot of money.

P.S. That so-called reunion tour never ended. Today they are still touring without two of the original members. I kind of lost respect for them over this.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:49 pm

stemikger wrote:
MP173 wrote:My wife and I used to go to the yearly Steely Dan concerts. Funny how the anti touring band of the 70's decided it was ok to tour this past decade.

Ed

+1

This is so true. When Kiss had their renion tour back in 1996 I went nuts. They were the band I loved when I was growing up. I wound up seeing them everytime they came around which added up to a lot of money.

P.S. That so-called reunion tour never ended. Today they are still touring without two of the original members. I kind of lost respect for them over this.

Don't, afterall it is a reunion tour - a reunion of your money into their now empty bank account. :moneybag Old habits die hard. :greedy :greedy
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby stemikger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
stemikger wrote:

Ed

+1

Don't, afterall it is a reunion tour - a reunion of your money into their now empty bank account. :moneybag Old habits die hard. :greedy :greedy

LOL. Gene Simmons has a net worth of $300 Million and Paul Stanley is at $150 Million. Ace Frehley who is now gone is at $15 Million and Peter Criss the poor guy is at $2 Million. So I don't think Gene and Paul's bank account has been empty for quite some time.

P.S. In case your wondering, I got this information from celebritynetworth.com
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby leo383 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

A few times a year I go hear classical music, usually solo piano, at Duke or UNC's halls. They both have pretty good concert series. $15-75 per show.

I play bass in an originals rock band here in Durham, so I hear local rock bands at the various venues here in town. I consider that more work than fun, though. :)
leo383

Postby mickeyd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 pm

wilpat wrote:I saw Elvis a few months ago (about 700 months) and was shocked by the $9.00 price of a ticket!

:D :D :D :D :D
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby greg24 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:07 pm

I'd prefer aging rockers to play shows for high prices rather than never play. If the prices are too high, don't go. There is someone out there who will appreciate the music.
greg24

Postby DoWahDaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 pm

mickeyd wrote:I refuse to go to big venue concerts any more. I occasionally, however, catch Willie Nelson when he plays at a near-by dive, err honky-tonk, that he has been playing for about 50 years. Cheaper entrance fee, free parking and cheaper beer. :beer

why i passed on that same opportunity, i dont know, and ill never forgive myself if the opportunity doesnt present itself again.

This thread can get ridiculous quuckly, but ill say theres a definite bang for the buck element here. Luckily i'm a bit of a metalhead and most of my favorites are way out of favor and can be seen cheaply and at more intimate venues. Win-win. Then again, $75-100 for any seats at AC/DC, cant go wrong. then again, again, $100 for a family of four to see Yo Gabba Gabba with the bambinos bopping away and the mrs and i singing along, doesnt get much better.
Me: 75/25 stocks/bonds | Son: 45/45/10 matchbox/hotwheels/thomas & friends
DoWahDaddy

Postby ryuns » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:26 pm

stemikger wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:

Is your daughter a Brandi Carlile fan? She's fantastic in concert. She came out quietly a few years ago, got married last year, and is a hugely positive influence on a lot of LGBT youth. I've seen her 5 times I believe. Hope to see her five more. Even if it's not *quite* your style, she's worth seeing live--one of the most impressive voices I've ever heard live.

(I know you certainly don't need me to tell you, but it's fantastic that you can be a positive and accepting voice in your daughter's life. Regardless of one's feelings about the "morality" of the issue, teens at that age need a ton of support, and the stats for LGBT teens without a good support network are absolutely heartbreaking.)
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Postby stemikger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 am

ryuns wrote:
stemikger wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:

Is your daughter a Brandi Carlile fan? She's fantastic in concert. She came out quietly a few years ago, got married last year, and is a hugely positive influence on a lot of LGBT youth. I've seen her 5 times I believe. Hope to see her five more. Even if it's not *quite* your style, she's worth seeing live--one of the most impressive voices I've ever heard live.

(I know you certainly don't need me to tell you, but it's fantastic that you can be a positive and accepting voice in your daughter's life. Regardless of one's feelings about the "morality" of the issue, teens at that age need a ton of support, and the stats for LGBT teens without a good support network are absolutely heartbreaking.)

Thanks, I'll check her out. My daughter is in college now, but when she was in high school, I volunteerd at the LGBT center and I was also heartbroken on how many parents did not accept their kids. When I spoke with the kids I can't tell you how many came up to me and said I wish my parents were like you. It's hard enough being a teen and twice as hard being a teen that is different.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby etm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:21 pm

I see perhaps one show every five years. I used to buy the 80 dollar nose bleed seats my whole life. The last act I saw I went to a ticket broker and spent about 250 per ticket for seats that were about twenty yards from the stage on the side. It was well worth it. If you see a lot of shows per year this gets expensive. But if you don't see many popular acts it's worth it when you do. I'll never go back to carrying binoculars with me to shows again.
etm

Return to Personal Consumer Issues