Haiku ceiling fan?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Haiku ceiling fan?

Postby coalcracker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Anyone have direct experience with these? Sounds impressive, very low energy use and I love the look. Downside is REALLY expensive (~$1000) compared to other ceiling fans.

I have searched the interwebs high and low, and all I can seem to find seem like sponsored reviews of the fan that sing its praises.

I am leaning towards something more reasonable like the Minka-Aire Concept II unless I am convinced otherwise by the Haiku.
coalcracker

Re: Haiku ceiling fan?

Postby Honobob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 pm

I have three of these in two locations They are great for normal ceiling heights. Under $200. Saving $30 a year on electricity by paying $800 more doesn't seem prudent. http://www.minka.com/ProductDetails.asp ... Minka-Aire®&sku=F518-WH&name=Ceiling Fan
The oldest has been running almost continous for 9 years in a marine environment.
It's slowly dawned on me that we won the real estate lottery!
Honobob

Postby mike143 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Just saw an ad for them in a "green" construction magazine we get at work. Looks awesome, almost like buying a hybrid that will never repay its increased initial cost. I have this beast in my living room Hunter 23963 Stockbridge 70-Inch 3-Speed Ceiling Fan with 5 Walnut/Medium-Oak Blades and Light Fixture, New Bronze . It moves tons of air (8766 CFM), think running you A/C 4-6 degrees warmer. It only comes with two candelabra sockets. I bought candelabra to medium base adapter sockets and run 100w equivalent compact CFLs (smallest version of CFLs). Now you can buy 100w equivalent candelabra bulbs.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby nisiprius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm

The fan costs THAT much?
Perhaps it is very good.
But is it THAT good?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby jsl11 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:42 pm

When we bought our new house 6 years ago, we installed 5 ceiling fans. They are all Casablanca brand. Although we have different types, they all came with a lifetime warranty on the motor. They are available in a range of prices. We have been very happy with all of them. We have an inexpensive model in the guest room, and top-of-the-line models in the rest of the house. They are very quiet and move a lot of air.
Jeff
jsl11

Postby Minot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 am

nisiprius wrote:The fan costs THAT much?
Perhaps it is very good.
But is it THAT good?

:thumbsup
Minot

Return to Personal Consumer Issues