How do you carry two Iphones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How do you carry two Iphones?

Postby vinvedi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

I have a personal Iphone 5 and company Iphone 4 and bulging pockets. Any creative solutions folks have come up with to carry these devices throughout the day without a man purse? Thanks in advance.
vinvedi

Re: How do you carry two Iphones?

Postby Confused » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 am

Satchel, messenger bag, backpack, briefcase, purse, fannypack.

Those are the options I thought of off-hand, and you can carry/wear any of them without regard to your sex.
Confused

Postby Chan_va » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am

Ditch the personal iPhone.

Use Google voice to port your personal number to google (One time fee of $20, no monthly fee). Then install the Google voice app on your company phone and your personal calls get forwarded to the company phone. Should you leave the company, you still own your personal number and can go back to a regular carrier.
Chan_va

Postby 22twain » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

How about one of these, substituting your phones for the guns? :happy

22twain

Postby EmergDoc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Interesting. And I thought there was only one business where it was routine to carry multiple phones.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
EmergDoc

Postby Mudpuppy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 pm

What pockets are you currently using for the phones? I find inside pockets in a jacket/coat/suit tend to hold the phones a little more "slimly" unless it's an extremely tailored jacket. Pant pockets have the issue of normal walking/sitting motions constantly moving the phones around.
Mudpuppy

Postby l2ridehd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:14 pm

I used to do that and finally got tired of it and decided to carry only one. My work phone. I also used it for personal calls when required, but never abused it. Even told my boss what I was doing. I figured if they really wanted me to carry the work phone 24 X 7 then they could suffer the few personal calls I made with it. Never became a problem. It will only be an issue if abused and you make lots of personal calls.
l2ridehd

Postby BrandonBogle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 pm

I carry my personal one in my back pocket and my work one in a belt clip holder on one of my belt loops by my access badge.
BrandonBogle

Postby PowDay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Google Voice is the way to go, and you save an easy $1200 a year in fees.
PowDay

Postby WHL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:25 pm

You guys making the google voice suggestion are assuming multiple things:

1. The company is okay with the employee using company assets for personal use
2. The company phone has enough minutes / data to compensate for both personal and business use
3. The employee does not have qualms about putting private information (web sites visited, personal email, bank accounts & passwords) on something the company may be monitoring

I personally carry both an iPhone 4s (personal) and an iPhone 5 (work). I would love to use the work phone for all of my personal needs, but as I see the bill for my work phone, I know that it does not have the minutes OR data required to satisfy my personal uses.
WHL

Postby PowDay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Completely agree, and I imagine the industry your in influences the below significantly.

I operate under an agreement, that if you want me carrying a company phone during my personal time, then the company better be ok with me using it for personal tasks.

WHL wrote:You guys making the google voice suggestion are assuming multiple things:

1. The company is okay with the employee using company assets for personal use
2. The company phone has enough minutes / data to compensate for both personal and business use
3. The employee does not have qualms about putting private information (web sites visited, personal email, bank accounts & passwords) on something the company may be monitoring

I personally carry both an iPhone 4s (personal) and an iPhone 5 (work). I would love to use the work phone for all of my personal needs, but as I see the bill for my work phone, I know that it does not have the minutes OR data required to satisfy my personal uses.
PowDay

Postby kenyan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Like this (though I don't carry two Iphones).

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/hidd ... nts2.shtml
Retirement investing is a marathon.
kenyan

Postby Aptenodytes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm

If you are willing to give up the I-phone you could switch to a dual-SIM smart phone. If I were forced to segregate work and personal smart phone activities that's what I'd do. I'd set up both numbers to forward to google voice so I could pick up a call going in to either number. I'd toggle the SIMS to do non-voice activity (email, web browsing, file syncing, whatever).
Aptenodytes

Postby Sidney » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm

PowDay wrote:I operate under an agreement, that if you want me carrying a company phone during my personal time, then the company better be ok with me using it for personal tasks.

That was my deal. I carried their phone but used it for personal calls inbound and outbound. Otherwise, I said I would carry my own but they would not know the number. They chose A.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby mike143 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:31 pm

"Glue" them back to back.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby musicDax » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Google voice as mentioned before is absolutely the way to go, not only will you carry just one (the better one of the two) but you will have ton more flexibility, save money (ditch the personal assuming work won't mind you use it for personal calls) a win win win
musicDax

Postby likegarden » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 pm

In the good old times one valuable senior engineer did not have a telephone at home so he could not receive company phone calls.
likegarden

Postby protagonist » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 pm

PowDay wrote:Google Voice is the way to go, and you save an easy $1200 a year in fees.

I use Google Voice when at my computer. But I am unclear as to how Google Voice can be used as a substitute for paying for cell phone service. Google Voice uses VOIP and thus is dependent upon an internet connection, no?
protagonist

Postby WHL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
PowDay wrote:Google Voice is the way to go, and you save an easy $1200 a year in fees.

I use Google Voice when at my computer. But I am unclear as to how Google Voice can be used as a substitute for paying for cell phone service. Google Voice uses VOIP and thus is dependent upon an internet connection, no?

yes, and typically your work phone (the second iPhone that this thread was created about) will have data. :confused

Google Voice has an app for the iPhone that allows you to make calls originating from it so they will show the google voice phone number, not the iPhone number.
WHL

Postby Cherokee8215 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Ditch the personal phone, use the company phone, and give up sexting.
Cherokee8215

Postby vinvedi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:22 am

Thanks everyone for the responses - philosophical, practical or hilarious. No wonder why this board is on my daily 'to do' list.
vinvedi

Postby vachica » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:40 am

I moved to one phone about a year ago. Carrying two phones (and two chargers, when traveling for work) drove me nuts. I was able to port my personal number to the company plan and carry one iphone. I am typing this on my company iphone ;). However, it does depend on where you work. I carried a blackberry and an iphone for two years, but when they switched from blackberries to iPhones, carrying two iPhones made me a little nuts. The phone decision does depend on where you work- at that company, I would never have given up my personal phone, and I knew that every second on the company phone was closely monitored. My new-ish employer couldn't care less, so I just filter my browsing as a trade off for no phone bill.
vachica

Postby protagonist » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

WHL wrote:
protagonist wrote:

yes, and typically your work phone (the second iPhone that this thread was created about) will have data. :confused

Google Voice has an app for the iPhone that allows you to make calls originating from it so they will show the google voice phone number, not the iPhone number.

I am retired...no work phone. But I imagine that this would allow one to buy a cheaper plan on their cell phone offering less minutes, so long as they have data and can thus use the Google Voice app without using minutes, eh? But is the quality and ease of use comparable with just making or receiving a standard cell phone call ? And would you experience more dropped calls (due to venturing outside web access regions)? I wonder if this would be useful to me....I would guess not, but perhaps somebody can convince me otherwise.
protagonist

Return to Personal Consumer Issues