Progressive Insurance: Snapshot Discount, anyone ever use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crowd79

Progressive Insurance: Snapshot Discount, anyone ever use?

Post by crowd79 »

I am currently shopping around for Auto Insurance with various carriers and came across Progressive's "Snapshot device" discount. If I decide to enroll, Progressive will send me a device to plug into my car to track my daily driving behavior and miles driven. Progressive will collect this data and based on information received, they claim I could receive as much as a 30% discount at some point.

Probably a long-shot question, but has anyone ever had car insurance with Progressive and taken advantage of this and ever received a discount?

Thanks!
BarbK

Re: Progressive Insurance: Snapshot Discount, anyone ever us

Post by BarbK »

I did it when it was first introduced and yes, my insurance went down 30% (except uninsured motorist isn't included which is huge in Florida).

I was in the middle of the 6 mo premium, and after 3 weeks of it being in my car, they credited my Credit Card with a refund.

The device was in our cars for a couple of months more, but when my next renewal period came up, my insurance had the full 30% reduction.
They requested I return it (they provide the postage paid box) and I'm still getting the discounts.

You can see the feedback online within an hour or so after you drive.

It dings you are hard breaks, driving on avg more than 30 miles per day per car, and driving after midnight. During the time it was installed, we took a long trip, had way more hard breaks when my daughter was home from college, and some after midnight driving. We installed it on our 3 cars.

----
Before this, I looked into Travelers which had good rates (and good umbrella rates), and Gieco (low rates), but stayed with Progressive b/c of accident forgiveness factor.
Topic Author
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

BarbK wrote:I did it when it was first introduced and yes, my insurance went down 30% (except uninsured motorist isn't included which is huge in Florida).

I was in the middle of the 6 mo premium, and after 3 weeks of it being in my car, they credited my Credit Card with a refund.

The device was in our cars for a couple of months more, but when my next renewal period came up, my insurance had the full 30% reduction.
They requested I return it (they provide the postage paid box) and I'm still getting the discounts.

You can see the feedback online within an hour or so after you drive.

It dings you are hard breaks, driving on avg more than 30 miles per day per car, and driving after midnight. During the time it was installed, we took a long trip, had way more hard breaks when my daughter was home from college, and some after midnight driving. We installed it on our 3 cars.

----
Before this, I looked into Travelers which had good rates (and good umbrella rates), and Gieco (low rates), but stayed with Progressive b/c of accident forgiveness factor.
Nice! Didn't know if this thread would ever receive a response. I have an older car, so I would not have full coverage on it of course. Actually, got totaled from a hailstorm several years ago, so couldn't fully insure anyway. Did the 30% apply against liability coverage? Michigan also has the ridiculous MCCA fee of $87.50 per 6-month period (to cover our state's no-fault insurance and unlimited medical expenses), so I assume that would not be reduced at all.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

BarbK wrote:It dings you are hard breaks, driving on avg more than 30 miles per day per car, and driving after midnight.
Knowing the above, it seems like you could "game" the snapshot device for the period of time in which the measuring is going on, perhaps by not driving the car very much and driving only during specific times.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I also used the device, it's actually still plugged in. When I originally got the device I had it plugged into my 2005 Ford Focus. After using it for a month, I was told I would get a 7% discount. I then got a new car, 2013 Subaru Outback. I plugged the device into that car and I just logged on my account and it says "Current Discount = 7%" and "Projected Discount at Renewal = 21%". Like BarbK said, it beeps when you brake hard, meaning when you decelerate greater than 7mph/sec I think. There are other criteria that would hurt your discount that BarbK mentioned. I was also told that your insurance won't go up based of the results of the Snapshot (like insurance companies need a reason to raise your rates).
Topic Author
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Does the device stay plugged in at all times, or do you remove it and plug it in every time you drive? It gets very cold some days here in Michigan. Also, I assume it connects to your cigarette lighter port?

I drive less than 4k miles per year, as work is only 2 miles in one direction, and I walk or bike most days in the spring, summer, fall. I rarely drive more than 30 miles per day, except when going to visit family or gone camping.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

crowd79 wrote:Does the device stay plugged in at all times, or do you remove it and plug it in every time you drive? It gets very cold some days here in Michigan. Also, I assume it connects to your cigarette lighter port?

I drive less than 4k miles per year, as work is only 2 miles in one direction, and I walk or bike most days in the spring, summer, fall. I rarely drive more than 30 miles per day, except when going to visit family or gone camping.
I leave mine plugged in all the time and it's been fairly cold here in PA, not MI, cold but pretty cold nonetheless.

It plugs into the car's diagnostic port somewhere below the steering wheel. I'm not sure how it transmits the data since it's down by my feet but it does.

Driving less might help with the discount since you would be less of a risk, in my mind. But I haven't had a ticket or accident in 16 years and I still pay more than my girlfriend who has had a ticket and accident in the past few years. I hate car insurance companies.
Topic Author
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

Ok, just did a quote with GEICO for the exact same coverages as Progressive, and they were $10 cheaper for 6 months. Sooo, should I take that deal or go with Progressive with the chance of a lower rate w/ the device??
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I have it right now, 15 days in. I am still at 0% due to my spirited driving style, at least I tried.

Amica went from $1600 to $2000, ran quotes with the usual suspects but they all came in within $100.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

I'm a former Progressive employee and utilized the device when they made it available to employees in my state to use several years back. I received a 22% discount while admittedly watching my driving behavior. It doesn't monitor your speed, but does consider your braking, and the hours and mileage that you are driving. The website is pretty slick as far as what it shows.

I've since changed employers, but the discount has carried on for 2+ years.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I used it in my 2005 GM Truck. It plugs into the OBD2 port and needs to stay plugged in 24/7. Make sure your battery is in good condition, because it can put a slight drain on it. Progressive can also reset your driving statistics if you unplug the device too much, so don't try to game it.

I think I had it installed for about 8? months, and I got the full 30% discount. I think I now pay $262 / 6 months for very good full coverage, which I think is a damn good rate. I'm going to go rate shopping next month, though, just to see what's out there. I also need to add renter's insurance, which Progressive told me they don't do, so maybe I can bundle and save somewhere else.

Also, beware the fine print: IIRC, in certain states, Progressive can raise your premiums or cancel your policy if your driving while using the Snapshot device is terrible. Read the fine print.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

WHL wrote:I used it in my 2005 GM Truck. It plugs into the OBD2 port and needs to stay plugged in 24/7. Make sure your battery is in good condition, because it can put a slight drain on it. Progressive can also reset your driving statistics if you unplug the device too much, so don't try to game it.

I think I had it installed for about 8? months, and I got the full 30% discount. I think I now pay $262 / 6 months for very good full coverage, which I think is a damn good rate. I'm going to go rate shopping next month, though, just to see what's out there. I also need to add renter's insurance, which Progressive told me they don't do, so maybe I can bundle and save somewhere else.

Also, beware the fine print: IIRC, in certain states, Progressive can raise your premiums or cancel your policy if your driving while using the Snapshot device is terrible. Read the fine print.
You can get renter's insurance bundled with car insurance through Progressive, they just use a third party, Progressive Home Advantage. I don't know who told you they don't do that but I had no problems doing it through their website. I had my renter's and car insurance bundled with Progressive until I bought a house.
WHL

Post by WHL »

fizxman wrote:
WHL wrote:I used it in my 2005 GM Truck. It plugs into the OBD2 port and needs to stay plugged in 24/7. Make sure your battery is in good condition, because it can put a slight drain on it. Progressive can also reset your driving statistics if you unplug the device too much, so don't try to game it.

You can get renter's insurance bundled with car insurance through Progressive, they just use a third party, Progressive Home Advantage. I don't know who told you they don't do that but I had no problems doing it through their website. I had my renter's and car insurance bundled with Progressive until I bought a house.
Interesting, I will have to call them again! I talked to an agent who told me they didn't offer renters insurance. Gotta love that bad information, huh?
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Ha, Ha, Ha, I have had the device installed since Sept. I thought I could game the system, because we don't have cell coverage. Except Border Patrol and the Sheriffs Dept had a tower installed just operational this week. Wednesday on the way to Wally World to have a tire replaced, and I blew out the spare @ 70 mph. So now I have no spare tire, home and my other truck is 10 mile away. I got a hard stop out of it. :annoyed I am only getting 7% the nearest anything is 50 miles away, but I'll take it.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

Yes, I received the full 30% discount, wife received 20%.
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

I used the device and was happy to receive a letter saying I qualified for the full discount and my wife as well. What I was not happy about was receiving my next bill and seeing it only reduced my $10. My rates went up for no reason and pretty much negated the discounts. I switched that weak and saved even more.
furwut

Post by furwut »

crowd79 wrote:Ok, just did a quote with GEICO for the exact same coverages as Progressive, and they were $10 cheaper for 6 months. Sooo, should I take that deal or go with Progressive with the chance of a lower rate w/ the device??
For so little difference I'd go with Progressive and the device - that is if I had a car.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

furwut wrote:
crowd79 wrote:Ok, just did a quote with GEICO for the exact same coverages as Progressive, and they were $10 cheaper for 6 months. Sooo, should I take that deal or go with Progressive with the chance of a lower rate w/ the device??
For so little difference I'd go with Progressive and the device - that is if I had a car.
You can run the device for 30 days not being their customer and they will tell you your discount after 30 days.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

My wife and I did it, saved about 20%. Nobody can even come close to what we pay for insurance now though. We pay $550/6 months for full coverage for 2 vehicles and I rad 6 different carriers this month and closest was $750.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Wow. My 6-month car insurance was about to expire and decided to call Geico to see if they were any cheaper than Progressive. Live in an area where car insurance is very expensive and the last few years I tried Geico they were really expense. Oh well, I will give it a try anyway.

The quote came back about 40% cheaper than my current rate - Holy smokes batman!

Another reason why Bogleheads is such a great website. Not sure how it can change that much in a few years but I will take it. All the other companies were around my old rate.

Thanks again for reminding me. We went from about $1200/6 months to $730/6months
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Does anyone know when/if this is coming to California?