Mac Users

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Mac Users

Postby mucho dinero » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

Folks,

For any Mac Users I would like to ask if anyone subscribes to Mac World? And if so, what is of your opinion of this magazine as a source information on Mac Products. When I was using a PC windows system I found the magazine PC World helpful. Now that I have migrated to a Mac I want to find good source of information on Apple Products.

Thanks in advance. :happy
mucho dinero

Re: Mac Users

Postby moneyman11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 am

I don't subscribe to Mac World magazine, but I do spend quite a bit of time on their web site www.macworld.com.

Check it out and see if your Mac information needs might be satisfied for free by the info on that site.
moneyman11

Postby Jake46 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 pm

moneyman11 wrote:I don't subscribe to Mac World magazine, but I do spend quite a bit of time on their web site http://www.macworld.com.

Check it out and see if your Mac information needs might be satisfied for free by the info on that site.

+1
Jake46

Postby nisiprius » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Oh, my. Does that ever bring back memories. I subscribed to it for a long time, but haven't seen a print copy in eons. If you feel as if you would like a print magazine, I imagine it would be a good one. Certainly, it's been around for a while... see below.

For a while I subscribed to close to a dozen magazines. Then I decided that almost half the value of the magazines was in the ads, and when through a phase where I intentionally rotated newsstand purchases, buying MacWorld one month, MacUser the next, BYTE the next, etc. etc. Then the Internet came along.

(I still have fond memories of Compute!--my source for Commodore VIC-20 lore; Softalk; BYTE, of course; Datamation, which I got for free at work).

I still have this copy of MacWorld:

Bill Gates is in it, explaining Microsoft's key role in developing the Macintosh. (Yes! He did!)

This is sad. I'd completely forgotten that the first editor was

the late Andrew Fleugelman. Does that name mean anything to people any more? Among other things, he invented the concept of shareware (which he called "freeware"--"An experiment in economics, not altruism"), with a communications program called "PC-Talk." He also was a leader of the "New Games movement," which aimed to create games for children that were fun to play but had no winners or losers. I can personally testify that one of them, "A Cold Wind Blows," is absolutely surefire at elementary schoolkids' birthday parties; kids can play it for half an hour, hour, giggling and laughing, and never throwing a tantrum.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby LifeIsGood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am

I'm currently getting Mac World. Some how I managed to snag a subscription for $1. Bottom line - it's ok. I usually manage to snap a couple of useful tidbits in each issue. I initially subscribed when I got my first Mac a couple of years ago.
LifeIsGood

Postby Cosmo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 am

Alternatively, there is a free iPad/iPhone app called #MacHash, which I love. It will pretty much stream anything Apple related to you -usually several newsworthy articles every day.

Regards,

Cosmo
Cosmo

Postby texasdiver » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:10 pm

There are a bazillion web sites and forums related to Macs. I don't see the point of a paper magazine and would only ever look at it if I was stranded in an airport and killing time at a newsstand.
texasdiver

Postby mucho dinero » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 am

Folks,

I would like to express my appreciation for the comments and advise you all provided me on Mac World magazine.
mucho dinero

Return to Personal Consumer Issues