What's your usual retirement day like ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What's your usual retirement day like ?

Post by VictoriaF »

Memento mori helps living in the present.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

I have at least one glass of wine a day. Come to think of it i did that before i was retired so i guess it doesnt count, sorry.
dennygt

Post by dennygt »

Senior Softball four mornings a week, plus some week-end tournaments!
A.J.

Post by A.J. »

3 months into retirement after 38 years driving Brown Trucks. I registered on this forum today,being encouraged to do so reading this Topic. So far, my wife ,(retired also) and I are enjoying this wonderful freedom. We have no set agenda. We usually get up around 8:00, have coffee, and spend an hour or so catching up on news, & checking the computer. We try to devote the next hour to some type of exercise, usually walking the treadmill. I have a long list of projects , but so far I am amazed how much faster the days seem to fly by in Retirement. We look forward to warm weather and outdoor activities. I have been advised to stay busy, volunteer, and socialize. I am not doing much of any of these recommendations so far, and have no problem with it. I am Blessed. I enjoy reading Bogleheads.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

Welcome, A.J., and congrats on finding and joining this forum!
praxis

Post by praxis »

I used a few minutes of my alotted 2 hours of computer time today to scan this thread again and it dawned on me to revisit a list I have carried with me since 1972 when I lived in a tiny shack in the mountains by myself and thought about life when I got tired of re-reading the one Edgar Rice Burroughs paperback I owned. I set some goals for myself back then for what I thought was important for personal success. I was 23 years old and a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala. The list reads:
-country home with a garden
-financial independence
-balance
-family
-time in the mountains
-time on the water
-staying in shape
-music

I turn 64 this year and realize I have these things in my life now.
I think I meant by the word "balance" to vary the experiences in my days and stay moderate in my habits. But it is also code for staying centered spiritually, which remains my focus.
It occurs to me that this tiny customized path has served me well so far and I can follow it in retirement.

I was looking for what was missing in my life, and I discovered that I was.
graveday

Post by graveday »

That is a lovely list. Still, I wonder what might have happened if it had been William Seward Burroughs you were re-reading.
J295

Post by J295 »

Unread postby praxis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 am
I used a few minutes of my alotted 2 hours of computer time today to scan this thread again and it dawned on me to revisit a list I have carried with me since 1972 when I lived in a tiny shack in the mountains by myself and thought about life when I got tired of re-reading the one Edgar Rice Burroughs paperback I owned. I set some goals for myself back then for what I thought was important for personal success. I was 23 years old and a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala. The list reads:
-country home with a garden
-financial independence
-balance
-family
-time in the mountains
-time on the water
-staying in shape
-music

I turn 64 this year and realize I have these things in my life now.
I think I meant by the word "balance" to vary the experiences in my days and stay moderate in my habits. But it is also code for staying centered spiritually, which remains my focus.
It occurs to me that this tiny customized path has served me well so far and I can follow it in retirement.

I was looking for what was missing in my life, and I discovered that I was.
Uplifting. Thanks for sharing this.
praxis

Post by praxis »

graveday wrote:That is a lovely list. Still, I wonder what might have happened if it had been William Seward Burroughs you were re-reading.
Great question. I wish I could have claimed a collection that contained such lofty philosophy as his while I stoked my little fire on the cold nights. Although "Tarzan" was the extent of my library for much of that year, it was 1972, and many of my fellow mountaineers in the Peace Corps agreed with liberal causes. You can imagine. Some of us joined after winning the draft lottery as an alternate way to serve our country. Sure, a good share were petulant crusaders trying to help the poor in the 3rd world. (I learned to play guitar singing anti-war songs) But we did a lot of good and eventually most of us trained nationals to be our replacements and achieved most of our goals in service. For the record, I still have my copy of Kerouac I bought to replace Edgar, who had succumbed to use as tinder page by page to help light the damp sticks that winter.

cheers,
praxis
Grateful1

Post by Grateful1 »

Tremendously enjoyed reading through this thread.
Humorous posts and very encouraging descriptions of so many so thoroughly enjoying their life after paid work. :D
wacobay

Post by wacobay »

[quote="VictoriaF"][quote="gatorking"]Retirees beware "surveys continue to show the least happy group to be those who quite often have excess time.”
The key to happiness:
http://www.psmag.com/blogs/news-blog/ke ... hed-51284/[/quote]

I have difficulty understanding the concept of "excess time." I always have a book with me at an airport, on a plane, in a dental office, etc. Books provide me with the floor of happiness, which is reasonably high. When another activity comes along I implicitly compare if I would like it better than reading a book, or not.

Victoria[/quote]
Victoria, My feelings exactly. I always say "you're never alone if you like to read". Thanks for reading this.
dvincent1166

Post by dvincent1166 »

obgraham wrote:0800 Get up. Ablutions. Read online paper.
0900 Plan rest of day
0930 Revise plan
1000 Nap
1200 Lunch
100 Wander aimlessly, then waste more time on internet
500 What's for dinner?
600 Eat
730 Jeopardy
800 Do stuff I planned to but never got around to
1100 zzzzzz

Repeat as necessary. No time for being bored!
YOU ARE MY HERO
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I don't have enough time to do all of the things that I would like so there's no time to get bored. And, certainly, I wouldn't have enough time to be employed. Looking back, how did I find time to go to work? Just last month we went on an 11 day Western Caribbean cruise. Every year there is something like that.
In addition, I am healthier now than in 1998 when I had a heart attack, just two months before retiring.. No health problems now. My Fitbit sent me an email this week congratulating me on my 3000 mile walking milestone (that was since September 2011 when I activated it).
I recommend retiring for everyone.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

wacobay wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
gatorking wrote:Retirees beware "surveys continue to show the least happy group to be those who quite often have excess time.”
The key to happiness:
http://www.psmag.com/blogs/news-blog/ke ... hed-51284/
I have difficulty understanding the concept of "excess time." I always have a book with me at an airport, on a plane, in a dental office, etc. Books provide me with the floor of happiness, which is reasonably high. When another activity comes along I implicitly compare if I would like it better than reading a book, or not.

Victoria
Victoria, My feelings exactly. I always say "you're never alone if you like to read". Thanks for reading this.
There is also a difference between immersing yourself in a meaningful book and reading short snippets of information such as news or tweets. Headlines promote jumping from topic to topic without activating the deep thought process and frequently creating anxiety. Real books (such as the classics) let one understand the characters on a deep level, connect to them emotionally and care about them. When you are engrossed in a book, you don't want your flight to land or your dentist to call you in.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am never bored, always something good to do. My wife and I help our grandson in school work. This week on afternoons I bring our 10 year old grandson to a winter camp, thereafter pick him up. Inbetween I might park at a snowed-in river having a cup of copy, eat something and read a gardening magazine. In my basement I am growing perennial seedlings all winter, and just ordered more plants. I am waiting for spring to start 9 months of gardening and landscaping. Life is good.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

DH has a workshop - Man Cave, where he has lots of tools and machines. After coffee and breakfast he goes out to his workshop around 9am and piddles around repairing things or making something out of wood. At noon he comes in for lunch and leaves again. Often I find him sitting out there watching the news.

We live on 11 acres so there is a lot of yard work to keep up with in the summer. There's always something to repair. In addition, DH is on a couple of boards that meets once a month, which keeps him connected to the community. Problem with being on a board is it can tie you down.

I have a Woman Cave Get Away from the house, where I process photos and turn them into photo art.

Our daughter and her two boys, 10 and 8, moved in with us almost two years ago. When we are home, we help out picking the kids up from school, taking them to activities and other family things. Never thought we'd have this living arrangement but it keeps us moving. Not too many dull moments.

We like to travel and be gone for extended periods of time: three weeks to several months. Having our daughter here to take care of the place helps.

What about investing in a travel trailer? Or, a Man Cave - your own workshop or space.

Volunteer Suggestion: Becoming a CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocate, is an interesting and rewarding volunteer activity. There is no weekly time schedule. You go through training to become a CASA volunteer, which is usually a long weekend course. You are then assigned to a child, whom the court has determined to be abused or neglected and is typically living in fostercare. You become the Child's Advocate.

You are given a court order to research the case. You report back to the court making recommendations on what you think is in the child's best interest. You will meet a lot of interesting people and learn many new things. CASA staff will help you work the case. It is the one volunteer job where you have direct impact on a child's life.

It is personally very rewarding, at the same time extremely beneficial to the court and a child. Before, retiring I was director of a CASA volunteer program. CASA is a nation wide program and there is probably one where you live.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

My mother died and husband retired about the same time. Took some time to adjust and find a new way. I thought back at things I use to do but quit because life go too busy. And, about things I wanted to try and do.

Four years ago at 62, I took motorcycle riding lessons and we bought two crossover dirt bikes. We don't dirt bike but like to ride lonely Jeep trails or asphalt roads and take them along on trips. Scared me to death in the beginning.

I took photography back up. I always wanted to know how to use PhotoShop and have been taking online courses through lynda.com, and now I'm pretty good at it.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I enjoy my days as a retiree, mostly divided between surfing the internet and reading novels.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

What is my usual retirement day like?

After 37 years in my profession, I retired in July 2013. People say to me, "But you were only working two days a week before then. What's the difference?"

True, I'd semi-retired in 2000, but I was still responsible for the care of others. Now I'm not. Now I choose what I'm going to do, when, and how.

I recently finished a music project that I'd worked on pretty much every day; it took me two years to create. Post-production will take another six months. Is anyone worried that I won't find something else to do when it's complete? I don't think so, not anyone who knows me well.

My days are full, filled with tasks and projects and goals.

I eat the same thing for breakfast every day.
MWF I work out at home for 30 minutes. It's an intense workout.
T Th & Sunday I walk 3 miles with DW or a friend or solo.
After walk or workout, I have a frozen banana/chocolate/OJ protein shake. Yummm.
I attend religious services every week, and hang out with friends afterwards while we eat lunch.
I have a regular Thursday night gig with my band at a local restaurant (going on 3 years now). I play keyboard.
For the past 8 or 9 years I've volunteered Wednesday mornings at a local hospital as a musician, performing for people waiting for family members in the surgery waiting area.
Over 25 years ago I helped found a men's discussion group that meets every other Monday night for dinner and talk; there are ten of us.
When I retired last year, I decided to take up a new instrument, the flute. That's a good activity because it will take me through the rest of my life learning to play it, regardless of how long I live. That's what's great about taking up art or music--you're never finished. Like others who have posted, I highly recommend it. It's never too late. And the flute is a good choice (lightweight, portable, and appropriate for many types of music).
My wife and I take two big trips, 2+ weeks, a year. (I'm writing this from Bucerias, Mexico.) There are other smaller trips too.
We belong to an international dinner group that's been meeting for 25 years. Every 3 months we pick a country or cuisine and have a pot luck dinner.
I follow this forum, and watch my investment holdings, which is like watching grass grow since I'm 40/60 indexed.
I read fiction and non-fiction.
I watch very little TV, but my wife and I do watch a couple of shows together on HGTV, plus 2-3 movies a month.
I keep a journal, making all entries using a fountain pen.
As a member of the Fountain Pen Network, I correspond regularly by letter with 10 people around the US, Europe, and Australia. I've met 3 of these friends, including one woman in Holland when we visited there last year.
I like to play solitaire on the computer.
There is a thing called "Daf Yomi" where one reads a page of the Talmud every day. It's a 7 1/2 year process, and I'm in year two.
There are some other routine or mundane things I do--feed the cat, take out the trash, etc., but this is enough. Please forgive the long post.

I just read through the list above, and can confirm that I'm glad I finally retired from my day job so that I can get on with retirement life.

Retirement is not about money.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

pinecrest wrote:
Fallible wrote:

One of the more delightful experiences of my life was watching squirrels make a nest inside an old wood box off my porch. They had to enter the box head first through a tiny area that had warped open and would often get stuck part way into it. They'd finally squiggle their way in, then pop out again to get more nesting material. One time a squirrel arrived with a piece of cardboard almost as big as he was and I thought he'd never get it and himself through the hole. He fooled me. First he went inside, and from then on it was just a matter of his yanking the cardboard again and again through the hole. It took several minutes and all I could see was the cardboard gradually going down the opening. After the cardboard, I wished I could see what this nest looked like, but of course it was not to be. I was allowed one more fun part, when the babies had arrived and grown some and began sticking their little heads out the opening to see their new world. All this beautiful nature in one ugly box. :happy
How did I miss this thread?!

And this post? :mrgreen:
A fun post.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

pinecrest wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
What could compare to meeting your 50K 2014 posting goal?!
I've canceled this goal. At the time, I was exhilarated by fulfilling my New Year's resolution but then reconsidered. The released "excess time" is well deployed.

Victoria
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

chaz wrote:
pinecrest wrote:
Fallible wrote:
One of the more delightful experiences of my life was watching squirrels make a nest inside an old wood box off my porch. They had to enter the box head first through a tiny area that had warped open and would often get stuck part way into it. They'd finally squiggle their way in, then pop out again to get more nesting material. One time a squirrel arrived with a piece of cardboard almost as big as he was and I thought he'd never get it and himself through the hole. He fooled me. First he went inside, and from then on it was just a matter of his yanking the cardboard again and again through the hole. It took several minutes and all I could see was the cardboard gradually going down the opening. After the cardboard, I wished I could see what this nest looked like, but of course it was not to be. I was allowed one more fun part, when the babies had arrived and grown some and began sticking their little heads out the opening to see their new world. All this beautiful nature in one ugly box. :happy
How did I miss this thread?!
And this post? :mrgreen:
A fun post.
Glad you guys enjoyed it and there is a finale of sorts. The following spring, the squirrels did not return to the box, but birds did and once again I was treated to the endless comings and goings of nest-building, followed by tiny heads peeking out from the hole. Some time later, I saw two of the young ones perched close together on the porch (second story) ledge. They stayed for some time and I figured first-flight zero hour was approaching. Finally, one flew off just fine; then the other took off and dropped straight down and out of sight. I ran out and hunted around in the bushes where he/she might have landed, but never found a thing, so obviously all was well. :happy
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

pinecrest wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Glad you guys enjoyed it and there is a finale of sorts. The following spring, the squirrels did not return to the box, but birds did and once again I was treated to the endless comings and goings of nest-building, followed by tiny heads peeking out from the hole. Some time later, I saw two of the young ones perched close together on the porch (second story) ledge. They stayed for some time and I figured first-flight zero hour was approaching. Finally, one flew off just fine; then the other took off and dropped straight down and out of sight. I ran out and hunted around in the bushes where he/she might have landed, but never found a thing, so obviously all was well. :happy
Aww.. btw, you tell animal stories very well! You may have a future career. :D
If you look at it in the general sense of a calling, retirement is my "career" now, present and future. :happy
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

My wife asked me this morning what I was going to today.

I said "nothing."

She said, "isn't that what you did yesterday?"

"Sure", I responded, "but I didn't get it all done."

One shouldn't feel guilty about doing nothing as long it involves people, nature, helping others, and learning one new thing.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

[quote="gatorking"

Three Important Needs: Structure → Community → Purpose
Commit yourself to be a lifelong learner and your life will never be without purpose.[/quote]

This speaks to me. What a great quote...thought.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Each and every day since retiring 25 years ago will involve one or more sport activities, water volleyball,golf, swimming,tabletennis,Boccee ball, pickle ball, in addition to movies, reading, internet, travel
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

bengal22 wrote:My wife asked me this morning what I was going to today.

I said "nothing."

She said, "isn't that what you did yesterday?"

"Sure", I responded, "but I didn't get it all done."

One shouldn't feel guilty about doing nothing as long it involves people, nature, helping others, and learning one new thing.
+1 --- after a life of never having enough time to do things the way I wanted to and rushing everywhere--I have sooo enjoyed taking my time to do things right, do them when I want to and DO NOTHING when I want to.

Golf, Yoga, gym workout, boats, books, parties, houseboy, chef, road trips with grandchildren, charity work, vacations, and we live in a place with 6 golf courses and an ocean. Some one once described this place as like being in college except now we have $$ and can drink legally. :sharebeer

Retired 14 yrs

jerry
Bob.Beeman

Post by Bob.Beeman »

Today was typical:

7:15 - 11:15 AM Covered 1 Biology and 3 Anatomy and Physiology classes for a teacher who was ill at the local High School.
11:15 - 11:50 Lunch
12:00 - 12:45 Reset system passwords for students who were having trouble logging in on the school computers.
12:55 - 2:40 PM Covered 2 honors Anatomy and Physiology classes for a teacher who was ill.
2:25 - 4:10 PM Oversaw homework and preparation for a Mu Alpha Theta Math contest next Saturday. (I am the Algebra II coach for the team).

Just another retirement day.

- Bob Beeman.
Topic Author
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

We had been spending time near the beach in South Carolina and Florida and often found ourselves strolling around the marinas. It was relaxing just sitting and watching the boats come and go. Must be nice having a boat, we thought. So we bought a boat.

Uh, so anyway, we sold the boat--whew :shock:
Now we're back to dreaming up another little adventure.
Last edited by Bustoff on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

I'm not retired, so I can't contribute, but this is a great thread.
kamo

Post by kamo »

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:I'm not retired, so I can't contribute, but this is a great thread.
It is a great thread. I can see it becoming one of the longest threads in the forum's history. On the part of contributors it is easy to contribute to (write how you spend your day) and it can be contributed to repeatedly (daily routines change as one ages). On the part of readers not yet retired we see how diverse and full retirement days are, we learn from (and laugh with) our elders, and are inspired.

Thank you.
He who knows he has enough is rich. Lao-Tzu
graveday

Post by graveday »

Bustoff wrote:We had been spending time near the beach in South Carolina and Florida and often found ourselves strolling around the marinas. It was relaxing just sitting and watching the boats come and go. Must be nice having a boat, we thought. So we bought a boat.

Uh, so anyway, we sold the boat--whew :shock:
Now we're back to dreaming up another little adventure.
BOAT....Break Out Another Thousand. Thanks for the laugh, and the hidden advice. Don't know if you were talking sailboat or motorboat or hybrid, but, yes. When I get the urge I rent. Sailboat. About once a decade so far.
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

khh wrote:
obgraham wrote:0800 Get up. Ablutions. Read online paper.
0900 Plan rest of day
0930 Revise plan
1000 Nap
1200 Lunch
100 Wander aimlessly, then waste more time on internet
500 What's for dinner?
600 Eat
730 Jeopardy
800 Do stuff I planned to but never got around to
1100 zzzzzz

Repeat as necessary. No time for being bored!
Pretty much my day, except it starts 4 hours later:)
Pretty much my day except I'm still working.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Tomorrow is retirement day #1 after 36.75 years with FedGov. I'm going to strap on a light camelback and go for a trail run with my wife. It will be chilly in the morning but will warm up nicely by the time we descend. Gotta do these things while we can!
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

TimeRunner wrote:Tomorrow is retirement day #1 after 36.75 years with FedGov. I'm going to strap on a light camelback and go for a trail run with my wife. It will be chilly in the morning but will warm up nicely by the time we descend. Gotta do these things while we can!
Enjoy your retirement! :sharebeer
graveday

Post by graveday »

Hah, read that first as 'trial' run.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

TimeRunner wrote:Tomorrow is retirement day #1 after 36.75 years with FedGov.
You normally worked on Saturday? :P

My last day at work was Friday Dec. 16, but that was the beginning of our normal holiday break. My first real day of retirement will be this coming Tuesday, which is when I would have had to go back to work. :wink:
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

I retired young (in my late 30's) so my retirement has consisted largely of worldwide travel since then. I am now over 75 countries and 450 cities... and counting. I'm glad I got to do this at a younger age as it requires stamina and can be tiring. Even now in my late 40's - I've dialed back the "hop from one place to the other travels" and instead "live" months at a time in different spots around the world. My days look like however I want... some lazy days spent with a book in a park, some days wandering my new city and seeing it with fresh eyes, other days off on some touristic highlight adventure to see the "must see" sight.

I definitely have more time for the gym and do my best to take that seriously so I can enjoy my "golden years" in good health. I've come to realize health is the most important thing because when you don't have it boredom can more easily infiltrate your days as you may not be able to do many of the things you enjoy.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

sperry8 wrote:I retired young (in my late 30's) so my retirement has consisted largely of worldwide travel since then. I am now over 75 countries and 450 cities... and counting. I'm glad I got to do this at a younger age as it requires stamina and can be tiring. Even now in my late 40's - I've dialed back the "hop from one place to the other travels" and instead "live" months at a time in different spots around the world. My days look like however I want... some lazy days spent with a book in a park, some days wandering my new city and seeing it with fresh eyes, other days off on some touristic highlight adventure to see the "must see" sight.

I definitely have more time for the gym and do my best to take that seriously so I can enjoy my "golden years" in good health. I've come to realize health is the most important thing because when you don't have it boredom can more easily infiltrate your days as you may not be able to do many of the things you enjoy.
How did you retire in your late 30s? Was it through a Mr Money Mustache-like regimen of extreme savings? I, too, want to do nothing but travel when I'm retired. You're living the life I want for myself :happy
market timer

Post by market timer »

Caduceus wrote:I, too, want to do nothing but travel when I'm retired. You're living the life I want for myself :happy
I'd suggest finding a job that involves significant travel. Business travel gives you a better sense of the beating heart of a city. It's also a lot cheaper than going on your own dime.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Take the dog for a couple mile walk. Read two newspapers. Play with the dog in the yard. Head for the gym at around 2. And squeeze in a 30 minute walk at some point.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

I am just finishing year #1 of retirement. I never thought I would be busier during retirement than when I was working!

Last January through April, with bad weather outside here in the Midwest, I did a combination of things indoors:

-did woodworking projects (making family gifts for the next Christmas)
-started taking stained glass classes (ended up being 15 nights at 3 hours per night)...learned another great
hobby
-got involved with city improvement group. Designed 5 historic murals for local park. Designed a complete
1857 steam locomotive in Google Sketchup to print a high resolution mural.
-research and write local history books. Publish as ebooks on Amazon
-give history talks to various community groups
-on Board of Directors for small local museum
-prepared and did 21 short (10-minute) history segments for local radio station
-prepared and presented Marketing Plan for our town to various groups

May thru October (good weather times):

-built new 20x20 ft deck for son 50 miles away. Played with grandson while doing it :)
-designed and built 45x14 foot deck for daughter 50 miles away
-designed and built display stand for 5 historic murals in a small park. Worked with printer on printing murals
-took over leadership of community improvement group due to illness of original leader
-painted daughter's new fence that I erected previous summer
-painted old advertising sign on side of building, about 60 feet by 20 feet sign. Learned how to run man-lift
-installed plastic sheet ceiling on son's 40x16 foot deck
-volunteered time and money for project to get our local newspaper digitized.
-I worked outdoors about every day. Many days 95F and 95% RH...learned to pace myself

Nov thru December:

-made 3 more new history murals and installed on Main Street. It was a heat wave at 32F on installation day
-traveled 100 miles by car to Chicago research library, doing research for new history book
-learned how to do stained glass lamp shades. Made two as Christmas 2016 gifts.
-learned how to successfully steam bend wood. Made clocks and baskets.
-joined Board of Directors for Livingston County Historical Society
-attended seminar for non-profit groups. Learned a lot about non-profits and fund-raising

I am looking forward to a busy 2017 and spending time with grand-kids. More are on the way in 2017:)

Other new things planned for 2017:

-take camera class at local Jr. College
-learn how to manually bind books
-learn how to make stained glass airplanes with kaleidoscope built into them
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Caduceus wrote:
sperry8 wrote:I retired young (in my late 30's) so my retirement has consisted largely of worldwide travel since then. I am now over 75 countries and 450 cities... and counting. I'm glad I got to do this at a younger age as it requires stamina and can be tiring. Even now in my late 40's - I've dialed back the "hop from one place to the other travels" and instead "live" months at a time in different spots around the world. My days look like however I want... some lazy days spent with a book in a park, some days wandering my new city and seeing it with fresh eyes, other days off on some touristic highlight adventure to see the "must see" sight.

How did you retire in your late 30s? Was it through a Mr Money Mustache-like regimen of extreme savings? I, too, want to do nothing but travel when I'm retired. You're living the life I want for myself :happy
I decided early to only work jobs that gave me part ownership (stock options). This allowed me to participate in the upside should a sale occur. One did.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
1year23

Post by 1year23 »

Not retired quite yet but love imagining what it will be like. I am sure I'll still wake up early but have time to exercise, drink coffee while I enjoy the paper. Can't wait to try new things without feeling rushed. Love to hear how retirees are spending their days. Do you limit yourself when it comes to binge watching TV series or do you watch guilt-free? Do you nap during the day? Do you spend more time browsing the internet?
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Not 100% retired, but maybe 98%.

Sleep until wake up.
Get out of bed when nature calls.
Coffee, electronic news sources, breakfast.
Take wife to work at University on days I freely audit classes there. Enjoy her parking pass. Enjoy the lectures and labs and the young students.
Study.
Board meetings.
Rotary.
Golf on occasion.
Workouts: rebuilt muscle mass that I thought was gone forever.
Housecleaning and food shopping.
Pickup wife from work.
Ask wife to feel my muscles.
Grilling and some recipie experiments.
Trip planning and execution.
Financial planning.
Nap when needed.
Some TV days, but not enough time.

Really enjoy not thinking about work. Glad I made the decision to sell my business.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have posted in this thread before, but at that time I was not retired yet. Now I am.

I have two types of retirement days:
A. When I am traveling.
B. When I am at home.

A.
In the first two years after retirement I was away from home more than 30% of the time. My days depended on where I was. They always involved interactions with many people. Some activities during travel were physical such as walking and hiking. Other activities were intellectual such as conferences.

B.
My time at home has been changing over time, but now it's stabilizing on four types of activities:
1. Physical (exercise, walking, hiking)
2. Productive (writing a book, learning Czech)
3. Pleasure (social, improv, theater, Smithsonian, thinktanks, local universities, embassies)
4. Maintenance (food, apartment, technology, finances, travel and pleasure planning)

Retirement provides an unprecedented opportunity to do what's really important for you. I am trying to use this opportunity to the maximum.

Victoria
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

Cruise wrote:Not 100% retired, but maybe 98%.

Sleep until wake up.
Get out of bed when nature calls.
Coffee, electronic news sources, breakfast.
Take wife to work at University on days I freely audit classes there. Enjoy her parking pass. Enjoy the lectures and labs and the young students.
Study.
Board meetings.
Rotary.
Golf on occasion.
Workouts: rebuilt muscle mass that I thought was gone forever.
Housecleaning and food shopping.
Pickup wife from work.
Ask wife to feel my muscles.
Grilling and some recipie experiments.
Trip planning and execution.
Financial planning.
Nap when needed.
Some TV days, but not enough time.

Really enjoy not thinking about work. Glad I made the decision to sell my business.
lol at bolded part.

Do you have kids? and how old are you? I could see this happening to me if I sell my business in 8-10 years. My wife would get a generous pension and retiree healthcare (teacher) if she works to 55 so it wouldn't make sense for her to retiree before then.