United MileagePlus Card Car Insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

United MileagePlus Card Car Insurance

Postby Leesbro63 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

As a follow up to my recent post "I Crashed The Rental Car", I see that there is a UNITED MILEAGEPLUS CARD that offers PRIMARY rental car insurance. I can't find the details (with regard to rental insurance) online and am wondering if any of you know.
Leesbro63

Re: United MileagePlus Card Car Insurance

Postby jeffyscott » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm

We currently have that card and that is correct, it did say primary insurance coverage.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby Leesbro63 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm

If so, this seems to be the Holy Grail, free lunch! All the other programs require a $20 or $25 fee per rental. For $95 per year, it seems to be built in..."free"! Sounds too good to be true, frankly.
Leesbro63

Postby hicabob » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

I just received one (2 club passes and 50 k miles then dump it when they want an annual fee!) and indeed they did say PRIMARY car insurance in the disclosure - I recycled the disclosure a couple days ago so no longer handy.
hicabob

Postby Leesbro63 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

$95 per year for primary rental CDW, with no extra fees, is worth keeping
Leesbro63

Postby jeffyscott » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Not to me, we got it for the 55,000 free miles and, as long as we have it anyway, will use it for a rental car next summer but it will be closed after that and before the end of our free first year. We rent a car once or twice per year, I'm fine with the free secondary coverage that all our no annual fee cards offer.

Edit: Actually I may not even use it for our rental, since it will be outside the US and our insurance will not cover us, the credit card coverage becomes primary. So I may just use our capital one card which has no exchange fee (don't remember if the united card does).
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby tfb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:If so, this seems to be the Holy Grail, free lunch! All the other programs require a $20 or $25 fee per rental. For $95 per year, it seems to be built in..."free"! Sounds too good to be true, frankly.

As mentioned in the other thread, Discover Escape card also offers primary insurance for only $59 annual fee.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
tfb

Return to Personal Consumer Issues