Getting rid of Silverfish

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Getting rid of Silverfish

Postby energy2025 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 am

Have any of the bogleheads have success in getting rid of the silverfish? It seems they are coming via attic. What is the best way to get rid of these menace in attic?

We have sprayed various things in the house (not in the attic), we will see couple (dead ones) here or there for next few days and then after few more days they still keep showing up but they are not dead anymore, and I again spray around in the house.
energy2025

Re: Getting rid of Silverfish

Postby vbdoug » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 am

Place a few bay leaves around the area and they will disappear. Seriously.
vbdoug

Postby 555 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 am

If you want a balanced portfolio you should also get some Goldfish.

Postby epimedium » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 am

I've never dealt with them myself, but I understand they are attracted to moisture. Do you have a leak anywhere?
epimedium

Postby SpringMan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am

I was clueless about silverfish so used google.
http://www.orkin.com/other/silverfish/
Best Wishes, SpringMan
SpringMan

Postby dickenjb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 am

I had a major problem with them. They were in my attic also where they eat the adhesive in the insulation (that bonds the fiberglass to the vapor barrier).

Call a professional exterminator. You pay one fee until the problem is solved. Took three or 4 visits in my case. They had to kill the adults first and then spray something for the next generation. That was 15 years ago and no problem since.
Philly Chapter Coordinator
dickenjb

Postby G-Money » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am

energy2025 wrote:then after few more days they still keep showing up but they are not dead anymore

Sounds like you have zombie silverfish. Get away as fast as you can! :)
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
G-Money

Postby boglesmymind » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 am

I had silverfish in my house many years ago, and I recall purchasing a canister "bomb" which I tossed in the attic. I then ducked out for the remainder of the day.
I never had a silverfish problem again. An inexpensive way to go.
boglesmymind

Postby energy2025 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 am

Did u had to close the vents prior to using the bomb in the attic?

I dont think we have any leaks, but it seems we have a moisture issue as we have started putting damp aid bags around and they get easily filled in couple of months.

We live in a townhome (mutliplex) and share walls on both sides with neighbors.

We tried calling exterminators but no one it seems treats the attic or seems to work in the attic..

Thanks,
Silverfish owner
energy2025

Postby mike143 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Nothing is free, someone pays.
mike143

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 am

energy2025 wrote:We live in a townhome (mutliplex) and share walls on both sides with neighbors.

We tried calling exterminators but no one it seems treats the attic or seems to work in the attic..

The unwillingness to treat the attic could be due to the townhome situation. Do you have a company or association responsible for maintenance of common areas? If so, contact them about the bug problem and have them hire an exterminator.
Mudpuppy

Postby nisiprius » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:04 am

Having allowed time for serious replies, I must tell a true story about one way to get rid of a silverfish.

I was sharing a cubicle with another grad student in zoology, and suddenly an insect scuttled across my desk. Insects not being my field I asked him "What's that?" He says, "It's a silverfish," and, lightning-fast, grabs a dictionary from his shelf, opens it to the page on "Silverfish," grabs it, drops it on the page and slams the dictionary closed, successfully mashing the silverfish into the dictionary right next to its definition.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby GeauxBR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 pm

I own a pest/termite company in Baton Rouge. The pesticide posted above works well, but also its good to swap out any cardboard boxes in the attic for rubbermaid tubs. A good time to do this is during Christmas when people are getting decorations out of the attic. It's also the time we get the most calls about silverfish.
GeauxBR

Postby rayout » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 pm

For a non-toxic route you can try diatomaceous earth (note I've never tried it myself, no pest issues to date): http://www.ehow.com/how_5386904_rid-sil ... cides.html

You can get a 10 lb bag from Amazon for around $25 shipped.
rayout

Postby energy2025 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks everyone..

There are no boxes or anything in the attice other than some old carpet, I think. We bught this townhome few months ago.
Even if it is townhomes, the attics are not shared and that was not the reason for companies to say they dont treat attics.

I will try the recommended the chemicals.

I am not sure how to treat the attic with diatomeacous earth, just sprinke it or use a blower to dust around?

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
energy
energy2025

Postby livesoft » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't see diatomaceous earth helping out unless you can get the silverfish to crawl through it. That would mean "puffing" it into cracks and places you think they will be crawling. That might be along baseboards or where carpets are tacked down.

I would not want to get any of it in my lungs because it is never coming out if it goes in.

If it is your attic, then bomb or fog it.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Return to Personal Consumer Issues