Barclaycard problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Barclaycard problem

Postby aquifer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

I have an iTunes rewards card from Barclays. I use the card for almost all of my monthly expenses and pay the balance in full each month through autopay set up on their end. On January 8, they doubled my automatic payment for an unknown reason which left me with a large negative balance on the card (not my checking account). I called on Jan. 9 and they said they would send out a check within 7-10 business days. Refused to just reverse the second duplicate charge. I have not charged anything since so everything would clear alright. So I agreed to wait. I'm still waiting, still no refund. I have called three times, each time they said it was sent. I have not moved, my address has never changed, yet I don't have the money. They aren't unfriendly, just unhelpful. I haven't lost my temper yet but this last call was close. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no idea what to do. Thank you.
aquifer

Re: Barclaycard problem

Postby Langkawi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 pm

Why not just continue to use the card? Based on your description, it shouldn't take too long to use up the credit.
Langkawi

Postby aquifer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 am

I wish I would have done exactly that. At the time I figured the 7-10 days wasn't bad to wait for the check but now the negative balance is gone because they took the balance back UP to zero and supposedly sent a check.
aquifer

Postby WHL » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 am

I routinely pay over the "current balance" on my credit cards which leaves me with a temporary negative balance. No big deal, just keep using (and paying off!) like normal.
WHL

Postby aquifer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 am

I'm not making the problem clear. I no longer have a negative credit balance on my card beacuase they nuked it in order to send me a check. I still have my regular credit limit available and can use the card but I still won't have my money because I would no longer be eating up a negative credit balance. The negative credit balance is gone and is sitting somewhere in the form of a check made out to me (supposedly). Does that make sense? I don't know how else to describe the problem...

I need to be able to present them with a logical and simple solution that they can understand. Any ideas? Sorry for my lack of communication skills!
aquifer

Postby The Wizard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am

Avoid using auto-pay in the future then.
I have a Barclay MasterCard through US Airways.
I often pay down my balance a few times a month on their website, just because I want to.
It WILL NOT LET me make a $500 payment if my balance is just $490.
First I've heard of the problem the OP had...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby archbish99 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am

If it's been long enough to call the check lost, see if they'll void the check and put the payment back on your account. As mentioned, you'll spend it off in a month or so anyway. If they have a minimum length of time between sending a check and declaring it lost, though, you'll just need to wait.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
archbish99

Postby Tabulator » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:47 pm

How good is the web interface for Barclaycard credit card accounts in the US? I am interested in their Arrival travel rewards card -- but I really like the ability to add tags or categories to posted transactions. This is possible with American Express. Does Barclaycard allow this?
Tabulator

Postby frugaltype » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:14 pm

This is similar to one reason I loathe B of A. One month they took out my mortgage payment twice and their solution was to wait until the next month and skip that payment. Still I was better off than your situation seems to be.

Have you tried asking to speak to a supervisor? If their customer service is U.S.-based, this may get you to someone who will help. Or it may get you disconnected or put on permanent hold...
frugaltype

Postby aquifer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:37 am

I should have reported that I did finally receive my money a little over a month later. I didn't escalate the issue, just decided to wait a while longer after assurances that the money was coming. My next step was going to be to file a complaint with the CFPB but the money finally arrived. I have used the card since then but I made sure they nuked all automatic payments. I'll remember to pay each month if I use the card.
aquifer

Return to Personal Consumer Issues