Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby dm200 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Why o so many folks ignore the return phone number on voicemail?

An organization I manage (part time) uses a Magicjack phone for many outgoing calls (local and long distance) because it is less expensive, but want incoming calls on our normal business line. Despite leaving our desired return phone number as the normal business number (land line), almost everyone returns calls on the MagicJack. Why don;t folks listen to voicemails? :oops: :oops: :oops: :confused
User avatar
dm200
 
Posts: 6710
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby damjam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 pm

I hear you. It's very annoying. :annoyed
User avatar
damjam
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby HueyLD » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm

dm200 wrote:Why o so many folks ignore the return phone number on voicemail?

An organization I manage (part time) uses a Magicjack phone for many outgoing calls (local and long distance) because it is less expensive, but want incoming calls on our normal business line. Despite leaving our desired return phone number as the normal business number (land line), almost everyone returns calls on the MagicJack. Why don;t folks listen to voicemails? :oops: :oops: :oops: :confused

Because there are a lot of lazy people. It's easier to look up the caller id and press dial.
User avatar
HueyLD
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby bungalow10 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm

If it's that big of an inconvenience, why not find an alternative to the Magic Jack that works better for your organization?

I don't always have a pen and paper near my cell phone. Usually that means that messages that require writing down a separate number for calling them back don't get a response right away.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:28 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby prudent » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 pm

I know I'm (potentially) guilty of this. If I have been playing phone tag with someone and I get a VM from the person, I know I missed their call, hang up, and use caller ID to ring them back. If the call goes through, mission accomplished, right? I know who it is and why they called, don't see any need to listen to the entire message just in case they want called back on a different number, then have to be ready to write it down just in case. Maybe that makes me lazy, but if I am always getting through to the right place with caller ID, that's just much easier for me.

Frankly, given that you are finding almost everyone is doing it, I see little hope of changing their behavior.
User avatar
prudent
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Beantown85 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

May be in part a generational thing. I know I will always default to using the number on the ID for the missed call, and really dislike voicemail in general.
Beantown85
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby bradshaw1965 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Was against voice mails when they were in fashion and now that they can be universally screened or ignored without repercussions I'm a much happier person. On to email... (only slight facetious).
bradshaw1965
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:36 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby englishgirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Because it's easier?
Because they might not have heard the number you want them to call correctly, but their phone remembers the number that was called perfectly?
Because most people assume the number you called from and the number you want them to call back are the same? Even if I played such a message, unless you SAY that it's a different number, I won't realize, and may not bother writing the call back number down because I know my phone stored the incoming number.
Because they might be driving and not able to write down a number, but they can easily call back the incoming number?

I'm sorry this is un-Boglehead of me, but don't be so cheap, and the annoyance will go away. I have no clue how magicjack works, but first impressions count in business, and if you're not answering your return calls because they're getting lost in the magicjack ether, then you're going to lose out on business. So whatever you're saving in phone charges is going to be lost anyway.
Sarah
User avatar
englishgirl
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: FL

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Dianne » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Because most people (not necessarily you, but most people) do not leave voicemails correctly. Instead of reciting their phone number carefully at the beginning of the call, most people who call me leave a long-winded message, then quickly rattle off their phone number at the end. This means (a) a human who doesn't hear it correctly the first time may have to listen to the whole message again, and (b) transcribing systems such as Google Voice or Vonage may stop transcribing before getting to the phone number.

And so most people receiving calls have gotten in the habit of just reading the number off the Caller ID. This works most of the time, which reinforces the habit. If it doesn't work, they still have the option of listening to the message. When someone actually recites the number first, people still follow their habits. Also, many phones have a button that dials the number on the Caller ID, which further reinforces the habit.

My question is, why can't the Magicjack folks figure out how to transmit whatever number you program into it to the Caller ID at the other end? Then everybody would be happy.
Last edited by Dianne on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dianne
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Boglenaut » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm

dm200 wrote:Why don;t folks listen to voicemails? :oops: :oops: :oops: :confused


It doesn't make a difference why. You'll need to adapt to human nature because human nature isn't going to adapt to you.


... even if you are right.
User avatar
Boglenaut
 
Posts: 2889
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Imperabo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Boglenaut wrote:
dm200 wrote:Why don;t folks listen to voicemails? :oops: :oops: :oops: :confused


It doesn't make a difference why. You'll need to adapt to human nature because human nature isn't going to adapt to you.


... even if you are right.


Such a good answer.
User avatar
Imperabo
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Dianne » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm

englishgirl wrote:I'm sorry this is un-Boglehead of me, but don't be so cheap, and the annoyance will go away. I have no clue how magicjack works, but first impressions count in business, and if you're not answering your return calls because they're getting lost in the magicjack ether, then you're going to lose out on business. So whatever you're saving in phone charges is going to be lost anyway.


Also, (to the OP), have you investigated what you look like on the Caller ID at the other end? Does the Magicjack project the image you want to project? I sometimes receive calls that look really odd on the Caller ID -- a non-standard number of digits, or a name like "SNFC MT-EV" or "Toll-Free Call" or "San Francisco." I don't answer those. Every now and then, one of them leaves a message and it turns out to be a colleague or business that I would have picked up for if I had known it was them. And then I wonder what kind of cheap phone system they have, and if they're saving enough money to justify not getting through.

For my own business, I make outgoing calls on a landline that is registered to my full name, and I have verified that the Caller ID at the other end shows my full name and the number that I want people to call me back on. It works very well for me. My clients take my calls if they are available, and if not they find it easy to call me back. The extra expense seems minor compared to the benefits of making it easier for clients (or potential clients) to contact me.
Dianne
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby jebmke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:17 pm

I leave a Google Voice number when I am calling for TaxAide "business". When I make outgoing calls from home I just use *67 to prevent my number from going out. Then they have no choice but to call the Google Voice number.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby HueyLD » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 pm

jebmke wrote:When I make outgoing calls from home I just use *67 to prevent my number from going out. Then they have no choice but to call the Google Voice number.

Do you add *67 before or after the number you want to call?
User avatar
HueyLD
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby jebmke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

HueyLD wrote:
jebmke wrote:When I make outgoing calls from home I just use *67 to prevent my number from going out. Then they have no choice but to call the Google Voice number.

Do you add *67 before or after the number you want to call?

I dial *67 first, I get another dialtone and then make the call as normal.

It really works to their advantage to call back on the Google Voice number. If I am home and willing to take their callback I can direct the number to my home number. If I am out, I have it go to voicemail and it sends me an email. I can also listen to the VMs on my IPOD.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:44 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby campy2010 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 pm

In your case, you're asking someone to listen to a voicemail, write down a new number and then return the call to that new number. The Magicjack number is already in their caller id, so they return the call to that number. It isn't too surprising, really. It is more surprising to me that you're shocked by this behavior.
User avatar
campy2010
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Rodc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Dianne wrote:Because most people (not necessarily you, but most people) do not leave voicemails correctly. Instead of reciting their phone number carefully at the beginning of the call, most people who call me leave a long-winded message, then quickly rattle off their phone number at the end. This means (a) a human who doesn't hear it correctly the first time may have to listen to the whole message again, and (b) transcribing systems such as Google Voice or Vonage may stop transcribing before getting to the phone number.

And so most people receiving calls have gotten in the habit of just reading the number off the Caller ID. This works most of the time, which reinforces the habit. If it doesn't work, they still have the option of listening to the message. When someone actually recites the number first, people still follow their habits. Also, many phones have a button that dials the number on the Caller ID, which further reinforces the habit.

My question is, why can't the Magicjack folks figure out how to transmit whatever number you program into it to the Caller ID at the other end? Then everybody would be happy.


This drives me crazy. I have a hard time listening and writing at the same time. Why do people all of a sudden speed up to spit out a return number? And then having to start over and listen to the whole da*n message again. Grumble grumble...
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Rodc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:54 pm

dm200 wrote:Why o so many folks ignore the return phone number on voicemail?

An organization I manage (part time) uses a Magicjack phone for many outgoing calls (local and long distance) because it is less expensive, but want incoming calls on our normal business line. Despite leaving our desired return phone number as the normal business number (land line), almost everyone returns calls on the MagicJack. Why don;t folks listen to voicemails? :oops: :oops: :oops: :confused


You want the return call, right?

Don't make it hard.

Business 101: don't make life hard for your customers.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 am

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby Crazy_Aussie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:03 pm

I know with my MagicJack that I can re-direct unanswered incoming calls to another phone number. I login to my account on the magicjack website and change the settings and provide the phone number.

Maybe that would solve your problem.
Crazy_Aussie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby linuxuser » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Rodc wrote:
dm200 wrote:Why o so many folks ignore the return phone number on voicemail?

An organization I manage (part time) uses a Magicjack phone for many outgoing calls (local and long distance) because it is less expensive, but want incoming calls on our normal business line. Despite leaving our desired return phone number as the normal business number (land line), almost everyone returns calls on the MagicJack. Why don;t folks listen to voicemails? :oops: :oops: :oops: :confused


You want the return call, right?

Don't make it hard.

Business 101: don't make life hard for your customers.


+1

If you have competitors, your customers will most certainly call them.
I know that is what I do unless you have a service that I absolutely positively must have.
User avatar
linuxuser
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: Why do folks ignore voicemails in returning calls??

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm

This forum is not for making general complaints and is off-topic. This thread is locked. See: Forum Policy

Personal Consumer Issues

...Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18896
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia


Return to Personal Consumer Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: WHL, Yahoo [Bot] and 21 guests