paulsiu wrote:I have a bit of a strange problem. I have a HP dv5-1150us that I attempted to upgrade to windows 8, but during upgrade, it failed and refused to boot from hard disk or CD or USB. When I boot the drive, I get the HP logo, then the hard drive or DVD spins, but then a blank screen.
Here's what I did so far:
1. Attempt to boot from the DVD. After trying different DVD including the windows recovery, and a linux disk, it does not work. The drive spins, but then blank screen. The same disk works on a different computer.
2. Attempt to boot from USB, some issue. This eliminates a bad DVD drive. USB key boots fine on other machine.
3. Reload BIOS settings from default. This sometimes clear up issues if your computer gets stuck in hibernate mode. Nothing.
4. Run hard drive test and memory test from the BIOS. All test passed.
5. Open up computer and reseat hard drive. Nothing.
6. Open up and reseat memory. Nothing.
7. Remove CMOS battery and reinstall. CMOS settings is wiped out, but it still does not boot.
This is a weird problem. Normally, the drives are spinning up but is not booting from the drive. It seems more like a motherboard issue since it affects all drives. I can't figure out what happened.I am fairly certain it was not caused by the windows 8 upgrade.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests