Not receiving my monthly bill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Not receiving my monthly bill

Postby camiboxer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 pm

I am on my 3rd moth of not receiving a bill from Time Warner (internet, cable and land line).
I'm old school and prefer to do things the old fashioned way. Get a bill, write a check, mail it and be done with it.
I know that going paperless is an option but I don't want to have to resort to that if I can help it.
On Jan 3rd I had a message from the company (automated) to call them regarding my account. That is when I first learned that my Dec. bill had not been paid. If it isn't here....out of sight out of mind-type situation.
I paid over the phone by CC, minus any late fees and then it came to light that I should have had my Jan. bill by that time as well. My account was sent to escalation to try to determine what the issue was and I was told I would be receiving a call within 24 hours.
By Jan. 14th I had not received a call back, nor a bill so I called again to pay by CC (minus fees). The rep I spoke to on that 2nd call offered to make a change of address to my account but input my same address. She said this would sometimes trigger *something* and I would start getting my bill again as I have prior to Dec. She also made a copy of my 2 missing bills and hand addressed them to me. I did receive that correspondence from her as well as a computer generated post card from TW stating that a change in "bill-to" address had been made.
On Jan 22nd I still had not received anything so called TW again.
At this point they are telling me it isn't on their end. They have the correct address and nothing has been changed on my account that would cease delivery of a paper bill. I was also told that the escalation department had noted on my account that they had "contacted customer and issue has been resolved".....which never happened. I asked to speak to the person who made the notation on my account and is supposedly the person who contacted me and resolved the issue to no avail.
I was given a few options:
1) Go to another city with a brick and mortar office to get my total due and pay in person each month. I am unwilling to do this. I figure I pay them already to produce a bill and get it to me. I am not going to drive to another city each month.
2) I can go paperless and pay online. I would like to avoid this but know it is an option however something has gone amiss with my account and I would rather for the mystery to be solved.
3) I can make another change in the bill-to status and have it mailed to a P.O. Box which I don't have or family member/friends home. This plan isn't even an option I am willing to consider.

I have spoken to 3 different reps and someone a bit higher up or possibly in a different department as I was transferred when the last rep said she couldn't help me any longer. During all of my conversations with them I have been nothing but courteous and respectful. I know it isn't the fault of the person answering the phone however I am more than frustrated at the situation. While all of this has been going on I have even visited my local post office to inquire about missing mail (something TW tried to say was the culprit). USPS has done searches for missing mail or returned mail and nothing showed up.

My bill for Feb. has not shown up which was supposedly mailed from their office on 1/15. It has had more than enough time to reach me if it were coming.

I could cancel my service however this would be time consuming and expensive. I am in a contract that runs til August and would encounter a $75 fee. That isn't the expensive part. All of my business marketing material includes my e-mail addy which is through TW. I would not only have to replenish that but go through the process of informing all of my customers of the changes. I really just don't want to tackle that feat.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might go about getting this issue resolved? I have nearly attacked the mail carrier on a daily basis in the hopes that something shows up. :oops:
camiboxer

Re: Not receiving my monthly bill

Postby Khanmots » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Some thoughts...

Best bet is likely to write a letter to TW corporate explaining what's going on and that you just want to start getting your bill again.

If decide that you do want out, it might be worth telling them that you want to cancel without penalty because they're breaking the terms of agreement and the onus isn't on you to rectify their problem. May or may not work but worth a try at least. Might ask them to provide proof of mailing if they say that it's not their problem. Maybe ask them if you can tell them that you mailed them a check each month and they'll take your word for it even if they don't get anything.

Regardless of what the result is you really should register a domain name for your business and set it up for email. Heck, I do this and don't even have a business. This frees you from your provider forever (why I did it) and also looks more professional. Costs me $15 or $20 a year or so to have google register the domain (through godaddy) and provide and manage the email services for my domain. If a TW email was serving your needs, this would as well. Heck, you could even get yourself a web presence using the domain name, even if the site is nothing more than a 1-paragraph summary with a picture or two and contact info.
Khanmots

Postby bertie wooster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 pm

You've wasted hours on this b/c you don't want to go paperless? Seems like a lot of time spent to keep your paper mail.

Agree with above poster. If you don't want to register your own domain, at least use a gmail or outlook email address. I've never understood why people use email addresses provided by ISP's (to include my father in law).

Do you have other ISP options? TW and CC have the worst customer service in my experience. Why don't you work on changing your address and then cancel the TW? I'm sure the 75 fee will be saved after 1-2 months of no bills.
bertie wooster

Postby Sidney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Not with TW but with my cable co. I get an email bill plus they do direct debit. No fuss, no paper to shred, no checks to write.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby Calm Man » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Why don't you use direct automatic charge to your credit card?
Calm Man

Postby camiboxer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:43 pm

I do have a domain name and web site presence for my business. I have a g-mail account as well as others available online for free however.....when I started the business these were not popular choices, heck some were not even in business yet.
At any rate what's done is done and all of my business material (thousands of dollars worth) have my TW e-mail address printed on them. I could easily but not inexpensively have new material created with a different e-mail.
I know that some might choose to quickly alleviate the problem by going paperless but I have never paid a bill online and don't want to start because some company can't get a bill to me. I am sure it is not a difficult task to perform but I like to make my own choices not have a company that is making a mistake force me to.
I never considered writing a letter to the company but it seems like a do-able action.
I do remember a gentleman coming to my door one day with AT & T (perhaps) who offered for me to keep my current e-mail address with their provider for an additional fee. That might also be a consideration if I get irritated enough.
TW does not offer a direct CC billing option (at least that I could find on their site). They do offer that you can pay your amount due with a sales rep by CC with an additional fee which they have been waiving for me during this time.
camiboxer

Postby Ice-9 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Agree with the above posters. Paperless for a cable bill that only changes maybe once every two years - should be no big deal. Schedule automatic paymentsto a rewards credit card each month, and earn 1% cashback with very little effort on something you'd be paying every month anyway.

If you miss having the paper bill to review, you could always sign up for manilla.com or zumbox.com, which has a service for many types of accounts (I think including Time Warner) that will retrieve and save a PDF copy of each monthly bill for you. You then can log in to Manilla any time and print or download the PDF if you want.
Ice-9

Postby linuxuser » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I had paperless billing with Verizon for my landline phone. Despite having two email addresses for me, I would often not receive any notices.
I have since switched to paper bills, and it has been much better. Fortunately, Verizon does not charge late fees.

Whereas with Comcast, I have paperless billing, and it works very well. Have not missed an email notification yet.
linuxuser

Postby jeffyscott » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 pm

camiboxer wrote:TW does not offer a direct CC billing option (at least that I could find on their site). They do offer that you can pay your amount due with a sales rep by CC with an additional fee which they have been waiving for me during this time.

You can have the bill paid automatically by debiting your checking account, while still getting a paper bill. That way it is paid every month without having to do anything, while you wait for the bill delivery problem to be resolved.

I pay very few bills online and I still get all bills on paper in the mail, but nearly all are set up to be paid automatically, without me having to do anything. I don't want to spend my time and money writing and mailing checks (or even going on line to pay) when I can just have the bills automatically paid.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby scrabbler1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:37 pm

jeffyscott wrote:You can have the bill paid automatically by debiting your checking account, while still getting a paper bill. That way it is paid every month without having to do anything, while you wait for the bill delivery problem to be resolved.

I pay very few bills online and I still get all bills on paper in the mail, but nearly all are set up to be paid automatically, without me having to do anything. I don't want to spend my time and money writing and mailing checks (or even going on line to pay) when I can just have the bills automatically paid.

I have been doing this (ACH) with my routine monthly bills for the last ~20 years, dependng on the bill. Once in a while a paper bill gets lost in the mail or shows up very late. When this has happened, I call the service provider and ask for 2 things in their automated menu: (1) What is the balance on my latest bill (so I can enter it into my checking account records) and (2) Request a duplicate bill to be mailed to me. I realize that #2 for the OP may be worthless because it can't get mailed to him the same way the original bill did not get to him. But my bill gets paid and, as long as it is not an amount which seems outrageous it is okay with me. No late fees, of course, and no fears of my check getting lost in the mail.

Only one monthly bill of mine cannot be paid through ACH. But I use my bank's auto-billpay feature so they send out a check every month. The amount changes only once a year so I schedule 12 payments then go into the bank's website to change the amount once a year.
scrabbler1

Postby CABob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 am

Curious situation. I'm not sure I would do this, but, consider opening a Post Office box then changing your address with TW to the PO box. See if the bills start coming to the PO. If they do the problem would seem to be between your PO and your front door. If you don't get bills the problem would seem to be with TW.
Bob | An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. -- Benjamin Franklin
CABob

Postby Rainier » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:37 am

Paper bills, checks, stamps, USPS? What's not to like about that system?

Times change, nobody uses ice boxes anymore. It's time to move on to a much more convenient system.
- Bill
Rainier

Postby sscritic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 am

So people blame the victim for not going paperless when the company can't put a stamp on a bill once a month? Interesting. I would hate to have you people on the jury trying someone who had assaulted me. [I won't even go to that other crime where the victim is regularly blamed. Really?]

I would keep trying to get the company to do the right thing. In the meantime, you know when your billing cycle ends. Mark it on your calendar. Give them a phone call two days later and find out what you owe. Request a duplicate bill be mailed. Send them a check. With the check, request a duplicate bill be mailed to you. This solves the late payment problem, and if you get lucky, you will have three copies of your bill.
sscritic

Postby camiboxer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:28 am

sscritic wrote:So people blame the victim for not going paperless when the company can't put a stamp on a bill once a month? Interesting. I would hate to have you people on the jury trying someone who had assaulted me. [I won't even go to that other crime where the victim is regularly blamed. Really?]

I would keep trying to get the company to do the right thing. In the meantime, you know when your billing cycle ends. Mark it on your calendar. Give them a phone call two days later and find out what you owe. Request a duplicate bill be mailed. Send them a check. With the check, request a duplicate bill be mailed to you. This solves the late payment problem, and if you get lucky, you will have three copies of your bill.

Thank you sscritic.

I have my reasons for wanting to keep receiving a paper bill and paying my bills the way I have done for decades. I know others choose to do things in a more convenient way for them however it isn't convenient for me. I need a paper bill in hand for a specific reason. Sure I could print it out myself however why should I have to? Doesn't seem very frugal to me if I have to pay for the electricity to run my printer, supply the paper and ink when it is included in the costs of having service. I realize I am talking pennies here but still.....it is the principle of the thing sometimes that keeps our fire fueled. There is a problem with my account and giving the company an out (so to speak) by going paperless and correcting their problem isn't something I plan on doing.
While searching for an address in which to send correspondence I found a chat feature and was able to have a "conversation" with another rep. For some reason they said my account HAD been changed to paperless hence the reason I was not receiving the bill via snail mail. Why they found this and all the other reps told me this wasn't the case eludes me. I was supposed to get a copy of the transcript via e-mail but received nothing. I have been assured I would receive a paper bill for my March billing. I am not holding my breath and plan on taking all of my notes with me to a branch to make a last ditch effort to get to the bottom of this mystery.
camiboxer

Postby Ice-9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:41 am

My post did kind of sound like I was blaming the victim, didn't it? 1000 apologies to the OP, as this was not my intent. My intended point was that this particular bill may not be worth the battle with TW, and going paperless with a cable company should be less of a challenge than say with a credit card or bank. I'm glad to hear it sounds like things may be straightened out now.
Ice-9

Postby jeffyscott » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

camiboxer wrote:I have my reasons for wanting to keep receiving a paper bill and paying my bills the way I have done for decades. I know others choose to do things in a more convenient way for them however it isn't convenient for me. I need a paper bill in hand for a specific reason. Sure I could print it out myself however why should I have to? Doesn't seem very frugal to me if I have to pay for the electricity to run my printer, supply the paper and ink when it is included in the costs of having service. I realize I am talking pennies here but still.....it is the principle of the thing sometimes that keeps our fire fueled.

I can understand wanting to get a bill by mail, but what about the payment part? This is costing you several pennies every month. Why do you want to spend 45 cents on a stamp (and also pay for checks, spend time writing out checks, licking envelopes, etc.) when for no charge you could still get a paper bill in the mail, but have the payment debited from your checking account automatically? In addition, when you get the paper bill it will indicate that it will be paid automatically on the due date, so you will have no worries.
jeffyscott

Postby rob » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:24 am

What about the obvious option... find another provider.... and tell the old one what to do with the missing paper work :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
rob

Postby camiboxer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:33 am

I like to sit down at my kitchen table and pay my bills. Sure I am spending $5.40 a year to have my cable bill mailed via USPS or less than that when you factor in I get a deduction for my purchase of stamps since my internet service (or a portion of the costs) are a business expense. But that isn't important. What is important is that during my relaxing time spent paying bills I get to hang out with my hubby and we can talk about finances! Really one of the only times that we get to sit down and just chat about that type of stuff. The man has never written a check in his life, is computer illiterate, doesn't have a clue about banking and getting him talking about finances is like pulling teeth. This at least gives me a chance for him to see the process, God forbid something happen to me and he has to take over.
I'm old school. I like it that way. I am also a bit of a control freak. Mistakes happen behind the scenes (which is obvious by my current issues), electricity goes out, my internet has been known to go out and just last week my computer needed a repair due to a power outage. I won't even get in to how many times banks have been known to make a mistake with automatic payments or just in general. Things happen. I want to figure out what happened and put it behind me so I can get back to my inconvenient way *for some* of doing things.
I don't begrudge anyone for the way they do things if it works for them. I know I am not the only person who gets a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from doing things similar to how I do them. My checks are free and I don't lick envelopes. A small wet sponge works great. :D
camiboxer

Postby jeffyscott » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:16 pm

camiboxer wrote:I don't begrudge anyone for the way they do things if it works for them.

I do not either, just trying to understand the reasoning. Sounds like it is a social/recreational/leisure/training activity for you :happy . Thanks for the explanation.

I don't suppose you have ever logged on to your online access for your TWC account at myservices.timewarnercable.com? This just occurred to me as an unlikely, but possible explanation for the inadvertent switch to paperless. While I get a paper bill, I do log on to the account from time to time and for a while it always had an annoying pop-up asking me if I want to switch to paperless. I think it defaulted to "yes" and I had to click "no" each time.
jeffyscott

Postby jeffyscott » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:44 pm

camiboxer wrote:TW does not offer a direct CC billing option (at least that I could find on their site)

Not that it matters to you, but they do actually. I just went on that "myservices" site and switched from bank account debit to credit card and I did not see any mention of a fee for this, so it appears that I will now earn about $1.80 per month in rebates by paying this way. (They did try to trick me into thinking I had to go to paperless billing during the process)
jeffyscott

Postby Mudpuppy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 am

Khanmots wrote:Regardless of what the result is you really should register a domain name for your business and set it up for email. Heck, I do this and don't even have a business. This frees you from your provider forever (why I did it) and also looks more professional. Costs me $15 or $20 a year or so to have google register the domain (through godaddy) and provide and manage the email services for my domain.

Just FYI, Google now charges $50 a year (plus the $10 domain name registration fee if you register the domain through Google) to provide domain-name-based email addresses for a business domain through its Google Apps service. Anyone with an existing free account gets the $50 fee waived (at least for now), but no new free accounts can be created, except for non-profit and educational groups. If you want free email through Google for your business now, you're stuck with an @gmail.com email address.

There are still options to provide domain-name-based email addresses for free (well, free other than the domain name registration fee), such as through the registrar if they support email forwarding or through one of the companies that provide free DNS and email forwarding. The email forwarding services basically redirect your customized email address(es) to your ISP, Gmail, etc email address(es), rather than provide mailbox services like Google Apps does.
Mudpuppy

Postby Khanmots » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:05 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Khanmots wrote:Regardless of what the result is you really should register a domain name for your business and set it up for email. Heck, I do this and don't even have a business. This frees you from your provider forever (why I did it) and also looks more professional. Costs me $15 or $20 a year or so to have google register the domain (through godaddy) and provide and manage the email services for my domain.

Just FYI, Google now charges $50 a year (plus the $10 domain name registration fee if you register the domain through Google) to provide domain-name-based email addresses for a business domain through its Google Apps service. Anyone with an existing free account gets the $50 fee waived (at least for now), but no new free accounts can be created, except for non-profit and educational groups. If you want free email through Google for your business now, you're stuck with an @gmail.com email address.

There are still options to provide domain-name-based email addresses for free (well, free other than the domain name registration fee), such as through the registrar if they support email forwarding or through one of the companies that provide free DNS and email forwarding. The email forwarding services basically redirect your customized email address(es) to your ISP, Gmail, etc email address(es), rather than provide mailbox services like Google Apps does.

Good to know, thanks for the update
Khanmots

Return to Personal Consumer Issues