How much to spend on a new washer & dryer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bacchus01

Re: How much to spend on a new washer & dryer

Post by Bacchus01 »

Very interested in this topic.

Our 8 year old Kitchenaid Superba's have just about done it. I've repaired the washer twice and the dryer twice. Now the washer is leaking and making a lot of noise on agitate. I just don't know if I have the heart to fix it yet again. After all, it's a $300 machine from 8 years ago.

Our requirements are:
- Capacity - we have 3 active boys and do a lot of laundry in a week
- Quiet - doesn't have to be whisper quiet as it is in a laundry room, but not booming loud either
- Simple - we don't need 60000 gadgets and electronics.

Efficiency is secondary to the things listed above. Top load is just fine on the washer.

Ideally would like to spend $1200 or less on the pair.

Suggestions?
bUU

Post by bUU »

I think there are really two paths you can go down with washers and dryers now: Disposable or durable. For less than $1200 for the pair, you're in the disposable category, and in that category I think in that price range the best thing to do is not worry too much about differences between brands, since the differences are probably marginal, and just look for the best overall deal you can get. You're not wedded to what you buy - you'll probably have to replace it again within eight years anyway.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

My in-laws bought us the top of the line Maytag when we first got married 21 years ago. It lasted 16 years. During that time we had it fixed two or three times. The washer was still in good shape, but I figured after all that time when it's time to replace one we will replace them both.

We went to Sears and they had a sale on Kenmore. We bought both the Washer and Dryer for what the Maytag Commercial washer cost alone.

So five years later the Kenmores are just as good as the Commercial Maytags were at half the price.

We paid with tax and delivery and install was a little over $1,000 for both.

I bought my house from a builder and everytime I need a new appliance I go to Sears. So far I'm very happy with my Kenmore washer and dryer, Refrigerator and Dishwasher.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

stemikger wrote:
We went to Sears and they had a sale on Kenmore. We bought both the Washer and Dryer for what the Maytag Commercial washer cost alone.

So five years later the Kenmores are just as good as the Commercial Maytags were at half the price.

I bought my house from a builder and everytime I need a new appliance I go to Sears. So far I'm very happy with my Kenmore washer and dryer, Refrigerator and Dishwasher.

This has been my experience with Kenmore appliances as well. I've owned a Kenmore refrigerator, dishwasher, and washing machine and they have all stood the test of time...even the more recently purchased ones. They haven't seemed to follow the trend of cheapening out the parts, causing early failure problems and more repair costs.

The reason I have a Kenmore washer, but not dryer is that my high end Whirlpool duet front load washer died after 4 years, and since the matching dryer still works, I stuck with it. I am done purchasing high end front loaders!

K.I.S.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We purchased LG Tromm front-loaders 5 years ago. They are working well and we are glad we spent a little more on them. The only negative is that the vibration can get loud during certain moments of the cycles. I understand that newer machines are much better about reducing vibration.

We also paid for the stands. Neither of us are short so they have been very helpful (and provide extra storage space).
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I like Kenmores, too, but I believe they are built in the same place as the others, just relabelled Kenmore now.
We just buy the cheapest, then when it dies get another.
JimInIllinois

Post by JimInIllinois »

Feb29 wrote:Based on a Consumer Reports review I bought their top recommendation: a Maytag HE washer for over $900. Two years later the control panel and a sensor broke. Replacement cost was $400. The repairman said there was no way of knowing if these replacement parts would last any longer than the originals.

I thought it through, did a lot of research, and bought a Speed Queen. These are the same machines you see in laundromats and they are built for long term reliability. It might not be as pretty or efficient, but the clothes come out cleaner in half the time.
I went to Consumer Reports online to look at their ratings on washers. All of their top picks had horrible reviews from users. Almost everything had horrible reviews. The only one I saw with decent reviews was the one Speed Queen, which almost everyone gave five stars. They are made in Wisconsin, and you have to buy them from local dealers since they don't sell through big box stores.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

We bough a front load Samsung washer 1.5 year ago through Lowes and its been great. It was $1000 originally and since it was the week of black Friday it sold for $499 or $599. Felt like a good deal even though I maybe didn't save all of the $500. Both me and my wife are Europeans, but have lived in the US for a bout 15 years. And she says there is no way we are getting a top load washer.

I would never stand in line for 18 hours during black Friday, but it easy to forget that stored like Lowes have lots of sales leading up to black Friday. We were in the market for a new Fridge and got a Samsung, french door for $1700 when their retaila was $2600-3200. Again, I would never have bought it for the original price, but we absolutely love it.

Good luck.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

I need to replace my washer and dryer. From the above posts, it sounds like the consensus is that Siemens, Miele, Bosch, LG and Samsung are the better ones, and that Siemens and Miele are the most expensive, then Bosch, then LG and Samsung.

Approximately how much does each brand cost? Is the difference in price between the more expensive ones and the less expensive ones worth it?
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kksmom

Post by kksmom »

As people noted CR ratings dont reflect durability of the products.
If you go look at the models at a laundry mat, the difference in these commercial models from the consumer models is that there are less electronics and less plastics parts. ie less parts that fail.
now if you look at the leading laundry mat model - its speedqueen. And they make consumer models, which when you look up - there is a common recurring review - they last for decades and gets the work done. Of course it doesn't have a lot of flashing/blinking lights. Speedqueen wont look good like some of the show room models, in fact you cant find them sold in the bigbox stores.
The durability and work efficiency of these models make it more economical.
Middle

Post by Middle »

I've always wondered how CR can possibly issue a reliability rating on a product that's just been released.

Personally, I had a Frigidaire front load washer for about 8 years, absolutely trouble free. When I moved and had to buy another washer in 2008, I went right back to Frigidaire which is a simple no frills washer that does the job and has been hassle free for the last 5 years.
Randomize

Post by Randomize »

OP,

I work with the Energy Efficiency folks at an electric utility and they offered this advice: Go for a front-loading washer and don't worry too much about the dryer. The front-loader will not only use less hot water (saving energy on water heating) but it will also run a much faster spin cycle than a top-loading model. This spins more of the water out of your clothes and makes it so your dryer doesn't have to use as much hot air to dry them. So yeah, apparently the vast majority of the efficiency savings of a modern washer/dryer comes from the washer alone. Also, they advise that you wash your clothes in cold water unless they're really dirty or if you have allergies and are washing your linens.

Good luck!
Last edited by Randomize on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

brianbooth wrote:OP,

I work with the Energy Efficiency folks an electric utility and they offered this advice: Go for a front-loading washer and don't worry too much about the dryer. The front-loader will not only use less hot water (saving energy on water heating) but it will also run a much faster spin cycle than a top-loading model. This spins more of the water out of your clothes and makes it so your dryer doesn't have to use as much hot air to dry them. So yeah, apparently the vast majority of the efficiency savings of a modern washer/dryer comes from the washer alone. Also, they advise that you wash your clothes in cold water unless they're really dirty or if you have allergies and are washing your linens.

Good luck!
I thought the front loaders had mold problems...

I have never found Consumer Reports a useful source of information.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

She told me to keep this refrigerator as long as possible as well as the washer/dryer because they have far fewer repair rates than the newer product.
That doesn't mean that the new ones break more than the old ones.

Perhaps the store technician just doesn't see the older models as often because the owners choose to replace, and perhaps sees the newer ones more often because they are still under warranty.

Similarly I would suspect a Honda dealer service department sees more Hondas from 2010 than 1995.

Only buy a front loader if you can really commit to using minimal detergent. I think most of the mold issues are from people who just can't help themselves and use too much detergent.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitdac

Post by Mitdac »

How about used washer/dryer on craigslist? They are often sold very cheaply even when they are practically new.

When people have to move, they sometimes don't have much options with their washer and dryer.