Which Midsize SUV should I buy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Browser

Which Midsize SUV should I buy?

Post by Browser »

I'm in the market for a new midsize SUV, retiring a 2002 Honda CRV. I've loved the CRV but am looking to step up a little with this purchase. Some of the things I'm looking for are high build quality and reliability (the CRV sets a high bar), good ride over rough pavement, decent gas mileage. Don't need seating for more than 4-5, although I'm aware that many come with 3rd row seats these days. I value decent cargo space and would like to have something long enough for me to sleep in during hiking/camping outings (I'm 6'2"). Also would like to have some towing capability this time for possible trailer if I decide to get one later. Wondering what some of you who have bought 2012-2013 models have to say both pro and con.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
MitchL

Re: Which Midsize SUV should I buy?

Post by MitchL »

I'm considering the 2014 Subaru Forester, I think it'll be available this Spring. Improved gas mileage from last year. Manual transmission available.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Browser wrote:I'm in the market for a new midsize SUV, retiring a 2002 Honda CRV. I've loved the CRV but am looking to step up a little with this purchase. Some of the things I'm looking for are high build quality and reliability (the CRV sets a high bar), good ride over rough pavement, decent gas mileage. Don't need seating for more than 4-5, although I'm aware that many come with 3rd row seats these days. I value decent cargo space and would like to have something long enough for me to sleep in during hiking/camping outings (I'm 6'2"). Also would like to have some towing capability this time for possible trailer if I decide to get one later. Wondering what some of you who have bought 2012-2013 models have to say both pro and con.
As you already know, Honda is a very reliable brand so why not step up a little to the Acura RDX?
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

As you already know, Honda is a very reliable brand so why not step up a little to the Acura RDX?
Looks like a possibility, but it seems to require premium unleaded. That's a non-starter for me. Also, towing capability is 1500 lbs., no better than CRV and not enough for all but the lightest trailers.
meebers

Post by meebers »

The upgraded model of a SUV (KIA) I just bought automatically came with a 3rd row seat if you ordered a 6cyl. Stick with the standard 4 cyl and the 3rd row seat was not there :confused The dealer was able to convince the factory to give me a 6cyl without a 3rd row seat. Maybe the only one in existence??? Three other dealers said it was not possible. When I took delivery, my dealer said multiple other dealers were requesting a vehicle "transfer" of my vehicle with that option. :D Evidently, all dealers look at each others orders??
Last edited by meebers on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would test drive a Mercedes GLK, Mercedes ML, a Porsche Cayenne, a Lexus RX, an Acura MDX. There are others, but except for BMWs these are the most common SUVs that I see nowadays.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

livesoft wrote:I would test drive a Mercedes GLK, Mercedes ML, a Porsche Cayenne, a Lexus RX, an Acura MDX. There are others, but except for BMWs these are the most common SUVs that I see nowadays.
I don't know where you live, but around here we see Chevrolet Equinox's, Ford Escapes, CRV's, Subaru Outback's, Kia's, Hyundai's etc, most of which are decent SUV's and priced under $30,000. I believe the GLK is near $100K?

To the OP: Take a look at the Equinox with the 4 cylinder, 182 HP engine which is rated at 25 - 32 MPG and well equipped. We are considering one or a new style Ford Escape Ecoboost (turbo 4 cylinder).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

aja8888 wrote:I believe the GLK is near $100K?
You have been fooled. Try under $38,000.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
cjking

Post by cjking »

I'm someone who has never liked SUV's, but now that I have more money than sense, I'm planning to buy a Range Rover Evoque in about a years time, purely for the way it looks. (That doesn't meet some of OP stated requirements though.)
Last edited by cjking on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Browser wrote:...I value decent cargo space and would like to have something long enough for me to sleep in during hiking/camping outings (I'm 6'2"). ...
Not even a Suburban has a cargo floor long enough to sleep on with 2d row seats up and not aware that Suburban has fold-flat 2d row seats. So the best you may be able to hope for are some comfortable reclining front seats. Not aware of any vehicle that has fold-flat front seats to match up with 2d row seats (at least not since the Rambler).

Second option. You may need to consider installing a "roof-top tent" to your chosen vehicle. They can be expensive, ~$2K, and are heavier than third option. On the plus side, you can get them with insulation and heat.

Third option. I've read where some have mounted a cheap (~$200), light-weight "cot tent" to their vehicle's roof. They are light enough that you could easily remove it after your trip. Use a warm sleeping bag.

Full disclosure. My '90 Montero has reclining front seats. Thought they would be good for sleeping. Not. Only if you are dead tired and need a quick nap before driving on, but it is not a comfortable sleep.

I've tried folding the 2d row seats and moving/folding the front passenger seat as far forward as possible, and can not get a cot to fit inside.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

To the OP: Take a look at the Equinox with the 4 cylinder, 182 HP engine which is rated at 25 - 32 MPG and well equipped. We are considering one or a new style Ford Escape Ecoboost (turbo 4 cylinder).
I think the Ford Explorer also comes with the 4-cyl turbo. I wonder how that engine does in the Explorer since it's bigger than the Escape. How about towing capacity?
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

dratkinson wrote:
Not even a Suburban has a cargo floor long enough to sleep on with 2d row seats up and not aware that Suburban has fold-flat 2d row seats. So the best you may be able to hope for are some comfortable reclining front seats. Not aware of any vehicle that has fold-flat front seats to match up with 2d row seats (at least not since the Rambler).
A Honda Element can handle all of these duties.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Honda pilot
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

livesoft wrote:
aja8888 wrote:I believe the GLK is near $100K?
You have been fooled. Try under $38,000.
Ah, correct. Guess I don't know my MB's :oops: . The GL is the one around $75K+ :moneybag
Last edited by aja8888 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

Liquid wrote:
dratkinson wrote:
A Honda Element can handle all of these duties.
No more new Honda Elements as production has ended, but lots of used ones still out there!
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

Browser wrote:
I think the Ford Explorer also comes with the 4-cyl turbo. I wonder how that engine does in the Explorer since it's bigger than the Escape. How about towing capacity?
It probably does OK towing since the turbo provides the increased torque needed over a similar normally aspirated engine.
Dave76

Post by Dave76 »

Land Rover LR2?
btenny

Post by btenny »

The Subaru Outback is the best small to midsize SUV like AWD vehicle out there IMO. The 4 cyl model is great and gets 28 mpg and has lots of space. The 6 cyl model is more powerful and quieter and will pull a small trailer better but only gets 24ish mpg. See here for some discusions on the Subaru forum for camping/sleeping in car. In your case I think you are too tall to sleep comfortably in any car unless it is set up as a camper van. Plus many national parks will not let you sleep in your car in the parking lot. You have to sleep in a tent and not your car even if you have a tent space. I know first hand about these issues in Yosemite.

see here. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... laska.html

But be aware that any AWD car or SUV will not do all that well in real off road camping or travel. AWD vehicles get stuck or break in challenging off road conditions. In that case you need a Jeep or other really good 4X4 vehicle. So if mpg is not a big issue to you then a mid/full size Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV with real 4x4 drive would also fit your needs a lot better. Plus a Jeep GC will tow a 5K pound camper trailer. See here for those.

http://www.google.com/search?q=camping+ ... 67&bih=504

Depending on your needs I suggest a Jeep GC or a Subaru OB
Bill
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

MitchL wrote:I'm considering the 2014 Subaru Forester, I think it'll be available this Spring. Improved gas mileage from last year. Manual transmission available.
Me too.
camiboxer

Post by camiboxer »

Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

I've always liked the looks of the Grand Cherokee. To me, they look like an SUV - everything is going crossover now and they all look too much like cars to me. My bro-in-law bought one about 8 years ago and nephew bought a Liberty. Both have had numerous mechanical headaches with these during the same period of time I've owned my CRV and had no problems whatsoever - still runs like new with 150K. Another thing is the lousy cargo space in both. My CRV has more cargo space than the GC, and of course much more than the Liberty. Turned me off on Jeeps. I wonder if they have gotten any better recently?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I think a couple of your desires may be in conflict. An SUV that gets good gas mileage is probably not going to be able to tow anything but a tiny trailer.

Other than that, I think Toyota 4-Runner fits the bill, but mine is much older than you are asking about. Maybe the newer ones come closer to your desires, but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if you can resolve the conflict mentioned above.
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

I own a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I really like it, it replaced a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had served me well for many years. I did quite a bit of reading of reviews, etc. and found very positive "pro" as well as "owner" reviews on the GC. The Jeep GC went through a major model redesign in 2011 or so and is very nice. I bought the Laredo 4x4 model, with Quadra-Trac I 4wd. So, I bought at the low end of the range. I'm very happy with my purchase.

As I have posted here before, I have typically bought vehicles from Enterprise Car Sales. Indeed the 2000 Jeep GC came from there. But for reasons having to do with my local dealer's end of year sales, inventory reductions, etc. as well as the "cash for clunkers" campaign I found that right now - it really wasn't very much more money to buy new now, versus a "program car". That having been said I have always been happy with the cars I got from Enterprise as well as the company itself, and would buy from them again if the price gap between their cars and new becomes wider.

http://www.consumersearch.com/midsize-s ... d-cherokee
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2013/
AndrewS

Post by AndrewS »

I am really happy with my 2010 Subaru Forester, though its more a small SUV than midsize.

Decent mpg, does well in snow and off-road when you don't need high clearance. Not expensive.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

FinanceGeek wrote:I own a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I really like it, it replaced a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had served me well for many years. I did quite a bit of reading of reviews, etc. and found very positive "pro" as well as "owner" reviews on the GC. The Jeep GC went through a major model redesign in 2011 or so and is very nice. I bought the Laredo 4x4 model, with Quadra-Trac I 4wd. So, I bought at the low end of the range. I'm very happy with my purchase.

As I have posted here before, I have typically bought vehicles from Enterprise Car Sales. Indeed the 2000 Jeep GC came from there. But for reasons having to do with my local dealer's end of year sales, inventory reductions, etc. as well as the "cash for clunkers" campaign I found that right now - it really wasn't very much more money to buy new now, versus a "program car". That having been said I have always been happy with the cars I got from Enterprise as well as the company itself, and would buy from them again if the price gap between their cars and new becomes wider.

http://www.consumersearch.com/midsize-s ... d-cherokee
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2013/
What kind of city/highway mileage have you been getting on your GC?
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

Browser wrote:What kind of city/highway mileage have you been getting on your GC?
Around 19 combined. This is with the QuadraTrac I, the 3.6L V6 engine with "regular unleaded" (not E85).
sport

Post by sport »

Toyota Highlander?
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

The VW Tiguan has a front seat that folds totally flat which gives 8' of length to stretch out in.
iceman99

Post by iceman99 »

jsl11 wrote:Toyota Highlander?
+1

My wife and I own a 2012 Highlander Hybrid. Couldn't be happier.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I would say a 2013 Honda CR-V or 2013 Mazda CX-5 with the manual transmission.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

dhodson wrote:Honda pilot
+1 for the Honda Pilot. I bought my wife a 2011 Pilot Touring which replaced her 2000 CRV. Alot more room, solid gas mileage, V6, and alot of nice features. Good safety ratings as well.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Cuzz35 wrote:
+1 for the Honda Pilot. I bought my wife a 2011 Pilot Touring which replaced her 2000 CRV. Alot more room, solid gas mileage, V6, and alot of nice features. Good safety ratings as well.
What kind of mileage do you get on your Pilot?
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

iceman99 wrote:
jsl11 wrote:Toyota Highlander?
+1

My wife and I own a 2012 Highlander Hybrid. Couldn't be happier.
That makes for a pretty pricey SUV, but man, those things are such a pleasure to drive. My mom owns a 2010, and one a recent trip a lot of frozen roads, I babied the thing all the way up to 36 mpg. At freeway speeds, it only gets about 27 though.

Taht said, the OP talked about upgrading from the CR-V, so I assume s/he was looking at luxury brands? If so, this seems like a good place to start: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... pact-SUVs/ and
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... size-SUVs/
I really like the look of the Audi, and have heard great things, but it might be a little small.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

I am curious about the 2014 Forester after reading this thread.

DH rented and drove a 2013 Escape (apparently it is available with two different engeines. He had the larger Ecoboost engeine.) for approximately 1000 miles. He really liked everything about it except that the mileage which was IMO was terrible (21 and 22 MPG on the two full tanks he put in it.) His trip was all interstate miles at or slightly over the speed limit. The Ford websight said it was supposed to get 30 on the highway.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

mnnice wrote:I am curious about the 2014 Forester after reading this thread.

DH rented and drove a 2013 Escape (apparently it is available with two different engeines. He had the larger Ecoboost engeine.) for approximately 1000 miles. He really liked everything about it except that the mileage which was IMO was terrible (21 and 22 MPG on the two full tanks he put in it.) His trip was all interstate miles at or slightly over the speed limit. The Ford websight said it was supposed to get 30 on the highway.
I was wondering about the Escape with the Ecoboost. That mileage sounds worse than a V-6. I believe you also have to put premium fuel in it, so that could get expensive. There is a 1.6 and 2.0 ecoboost. Sounds like he had the 2.0.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

I am pretty sure DH didnt put premium fuel in a rental.
I wonder how much that would impact things?
Qtman

Post by Qtman »

We have a 2011 Forester, great vehicle. I've owned 4 Subarus over many years, never any problems and the AWD is great in snow. Reasonable price from my perspective. Paid about $26 k, only new car we ever bought. I struggle with the idea of paying more than that for a vehicle. For $50 k, I can but another rental property, just can't bring myself to put that kind of cash into a depreciating asset.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Highlander :D
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

I like Honda in this segment... own a 2010 CR-V and 2003 Pilot. The Pilot has 120K miles and has been a dream in terms of reliability. These compensate for my less than reliable BMW :twisted:
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

We just got our Subaru Forester last year, and its MPG is rated 27 highway and 21 city. The 2014 model improves on it with 32/24 with the CVT which is pretty good for AWD (and cheaper than comparable AWD). Our main complaint for the Forester is the rear center seat, but it seems to be improved with the new model as well. We just had our first winter trip to Tahoe, it performed great in the snow.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

harikaried wrote:
We just got our Subaru Forester last year, and its MPG is rated 27 highway and 21 city. The 2014 model improves on it with 32/24 with the CVT which is pretty good for AWD (and cheaper than comparable AWD). Our main complaint for the Forester is the rear center seat, but it seems to be improved with the new model as well. We just had our first winter trip to Tahoe, it performed great in the snow.
Do you get what its rated for mpg?

What's wrong with the center seat?

Personally, I am more curious about the 6 speed than Cvt ;
dewey

Post by dewey »

aja8888 wrote:
livesoft wrote:I would test drive a Mercedes GLK, Mercedes ML, a Porsche Cayenne, a Lexus RX, an Acura MDX. There are others, but except for BMWs these are the most common SUVs that I see nowadays.
I don't know where you live, but around here we see Chevrolet Equinox's, Ford Escapes, CRV's, Subaru Outback's, Kia's, Hyundai's etc, most of which are decent SUV's and priced under $30,000. I believe the GLK is near $100K?

The Audi Q5 should be on this list given the criteria of the original post. Other than premium gasoline, several of its versions satisfy all of the other hoped for features. And, it pencils out lower than the Mercedes or the BMW.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

+1 I find it to be a good value.

B
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

I just recently assumed a lease of a 2012 GMC Acadia about a month ago. It was kind of a pig in a poke, and I am really surprised at how much I like it so far (coming from a BMW 335i sedan). It has room for 8, which you don't need, BUT, you can fold down both sets of rear seats and the space is 7' deep and 4' wide and completely flat, so you could easily sleep two. It has a high tech, 288 horsepower 3.6 L V6, with 24 Valves, variable valve timing all that stuff. The fuel economy is pretty good. It's EPA rated at 16 city and 23 highway. I drove it back from NY, but was in a hurry and doing 80-85 most of the way. It got closer to 20. City has been closer to 15, but I think if I drove it a little less aggressively it would come close to those numbers.

I put a hitch on it. It can tow 5000 pounds.

It has AWD, satellite radio, cloth heated seats, power remote rear hatch, a back up camera, 10 airbags, factory remote start, cruise, power everything, etc. No NAV, sunroof, leather, or DVD system. DVD systems are about $150 bucks, I Scotch guarded it with a $12 can from Amazon.com, and I have an iPhone. It stickered for close to $40K, but I am paying $388 a month (ZERO to assume it) with an option in 24 months to buy it for $19K. The guy I got it from put $5 K down on it and then his wife passed away. Had 12K miles with a limit of 39K miles.

I drove a Pilot from Chicago to Minneapolis twice in the last year. I prefer the GMC.

According to Consumer Reports it has around average reliability. The Explorer had -120% worse reliability than the average car.

The only questionable thing is the mileage, but if you put 12,000 miles a year on your car, and you average 20 mpg in an Acadia, or 25 mpg in a CRV , you are buying an extra 120 gallons of gas a year. At $3.50 a gallon it's $420 a year or $1.15 a day.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

mnnice wrote:Do you get what its rated for mpg?
Right now on about half a tank, it's reading 27mpg. I've been getting up to 32 or so on the highway.
mnnice wrote:What's wrong with the center seat?
It has a small cushion area, so it's not ideal for 5 people or 4 people when the 1/3 side is folded down. It is great being able to easily pull a knob to fold down the 1/3 or 2/3 seats and end up with a flat extended trunk area. Perfect for putting skis or snowboards inside. (We did stack 2 road bikes inside without needing to take off any wheels, but we've just installed a trailer rack to carry 4 bikes + 4 riders.)
fandango

Post by fandango »

I just bought a new Honda CRV EXL after looking at many compact or midsize SUVs.

You may want to take a look at one. Honda CRV's have gotten larger and more luxurious since you bought your last one.

I am a very particular auto buyer, and I am impressed with design and fit of this vehicle.
ramamop

Post by ramamop »

Last summer, we analyzed for a compact SUV for my wife.
Road tested Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, Mercedes ML 350, Mercedes GL series and BMW X3.

Finalized and bought BMW X3, happy with the decision. BMW X3 happened to be at par or better in pricing, with the other comparable models with options.

Thanks
Ramamop
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Browser wrote:Also would like to have some towing capability this time for possible trailer if I decide to get one later.
I did not see if you noted what you think you may pull? Are you thinking of a Travel Trailer, Car Trailer or just a simple little trailer. If you think you may pull something like a Travel Trailer that brings to somthing with a longer wheel base as in a Suburban/Truck of some sort.

I saw a few thread back that someone thought the second row of seats do not fold up in a Suburban, the new model may not but the last generation did that we had, you could haul a sheet a plywood in it.

Again depending on what you are pulling and with the need for only 4-5 seats the newer 1/2 trucks drive dam near as nice as a car these days, matter of fact we use our 2011 chevy 1/2ton crew cab as our vaction ride of choice. I would not pull something more than a 20'-24' light travel trailer with a half ton either, even then your going to want towing package etc.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
RenoJay

Post by RenoJay »

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Acura MDX. (Seems like there are good year end incentives ending today.) I test drove the new MDX and the Lexus 350. The Acura had a lot more technology, better pick up and better space. The Lexus had a great turning radius, but that's less important to me.

Caveat: I bought an MDX in 2005 (trading it in now) and it's been not as good at Acura cars I've owned. I've had a few recurring issues, though overall I guess I'm sticking with the devil I know.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

OnFire wrote:I just recently assumed a lease of a 2012 GMC Acadia about a month ago. It was kind of a pig in a poke, and I am really surprised at how much I like it so far (coming from a BMW 335i sedan). It has room for 8, which you don't need, BUT, you can fold down both sets of rear seats and the space is 7' deep and 4' wide and completely flat, so you could easily sleep two.
Yea, we got turned on by the GMC Acadia when we went looking for SUV's this weekend.....we were initially looking at the Yukon and Escalade....but had a little sticker shock----then took a look at the Acadia and were blown away. We're looking at the Denali edition----beautiful truck.

What website did you find the assumed lease? Any hints on how to use it?