Setting up ebook for family usage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
paulsiu

Setting up ebook for family usage

Post by paulsiu »

I have been thinking about actually buying some ebooks. I have been reluctant to do this in the past due to the complexity of it. Suppose I buy a real book, anyone in my family can view it. Suppose I buy an ebook, it's probably liked to an account so only a person on that account can view it. This would indicate I should setup a family account, so I can share the ebook with the rest of the family.

What about parental control? My daughter is too young to read, but at some point we should probably restricted it so she doesn't end up reading something inappropriate.

In addition, anyone have any recommendation on where to purchase it. It appears that one can purchase it from Google Play, Kindle, and iTunes. There are probably pros and cons on each. Based on some initial research, I am edging toward Kindle since it's got broad platform support across Mac, PC, Linux, Android, and IOS.

Paul
Sidney

Re: Setting up ebook for family usage

Post by Sidney »

With Kindle you can link more than one device to your Amazon account -- I think up to 5 -- and each one can download and read whatever was purchased on that account. Each one can make purchases also. I don't know if there is a way to limit which linked devices can make purchases.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Sidney wrote:With Kindle you can link more than one device to your Amazon account -- I think up to 5 -- and each one can download and read whatever was purchased on that account. Each one can make purchases also. I don't know if there is a way to limit which linked devices can make purchases.
But it's not very useful, because there's no way to link a single Kindle device to more than one account. So to make this work, you need to have decided in advance that your whole family will use a single account.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

nisiprius wrote:
Sidney wrote:With Kindle you can link more than one device to your Amazon account -- I think up to 5 -- and each one can download and read whatever was purchased on that account. Each one can make purchases also. I don't know if there is a way to limit which linked devices can make purchases.
But it's not very useful, because there's no way to link a single Kindle device to more than one account. So to make this work, you need to have decided in advance that your whole family will use a single account.
That's what we do. It is easier than having multiple accounts for us. Obviously if you are talking about an extended family that doesn't operate as a financial unit, then it could be problematical.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications