Space heater questions/recommendation needed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Space heater questions/recommendation needed

Postby nonnie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

I read this previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102512&p=1487355&hilit=space+heater#p1487355
and see that several folks recommend DeLonghi "oil filled" radiator type heaters. I had one a dozen years ago and liked it. I note that Consumer reports doesn't rate them that highly as it takes "too long" to heat up. Is the DeLonghi Mica panel a different technology, even from reading about it I can't quite figure it out?

In the last couple years I note that CR will give high rating to products but their subscribers (and Amazon reviewers) often do NOT agree.

We keep our house (No. CA) around 63 during the day, heat off at night and have a gas fireplace that works well for spot heating in family room. We need a space heater for our office-- 130 sq ft- where we might spend ONLY 1-2 hours a day and not every day so I'm wondering if the DeLonghi will work efficiently for that or will it be a hassle to remember to turn it on 30 mins before we go in the room, etc. I'm not thrilled about the small electric blower type heaters but maybe that would be a better solution-- comments and brand suggestions welcome.

Finally, does anyone have experience with "convection" space heaters such as Soleus Air HM2-15R-32. Do they have the same problems in terms of taking a long time to heat up a room and not being good at "spot" heating?

Thanks,
Nonnie
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.
nonnie

Re: Space heater questions/recommendation needed

Postby MathWizard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm

nonnie wrote:I read this previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102512&p=1487355&hilit=space+heater#p1487355
and see that several folks recommend DeLonghi "oil filled" radiator type heaters. I had one a dozen years ago and liked it. I note that Consumer reports doesn't rate them that highly as it takes "too long" to heat up. Is the DeLonghi Mica panel a different technology, even from reading about it I can't quite figure it out?

In the last couple years I note that CR will give high rating to products but their subscribers (and Amazon reviewers) often do NOT agree.

We keep our house (No. CA) around 63 during the day, heat off at night and have a gas fireplace that works well for spot heating in family room. We need a space heater for our office-- 130 sq ft- where we might spend ONLY 1-2 hours a day and not every day so I'm wondering if the DeLonghi will work efficiently for that or will it be a hassle to remember to turn it on 30 mins before we go in the room, etc. I'm not thrilled about the small electric blower type heaters but maybe that would be a better solution-- comments and brand suggestions welcome.

Finally, does anyone have experience with "convection" space heaters such as Soleus Air HM2-15R-32. Do they have the same problems in terms of taking a long time to heat up a room and not being good at "spot" heating?

Thanks,
Nonnie

I like the oiled filled heaters. I use a high wattage plug-in timer that comes on 15 minutes before I will be using the room.
You can also have a heater with a low seting come on several time throughout the day, and then set it to high when you use
the room. The it would come up to temp much faster.
MathWizard

Postby etarini » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm

There's only one thing you need to know about an electric space heater - wattage. The efficiencies are the same, and the rest is esthetics. Do you like an electric appliance that is made to look like a steam radiator of the 1920s? Well, there's one out there for you. How about something long and low, that looks like hot-water baseboard? They've got that, too. Don't like the noise of fans? Buy a space heater that's "radiant" (i.e., has no fan).

The simple space heater with a couple of fan speeds (usually the low fan speed is 750 watts, while the high fan speed is 1500 watts) is available for the cheapest prices, and does as good a job as any of them in distributing the heat.

EVERY 1500-watt heater will put out about 5120 BTU/hour, though the fan-forced ones will distribute the heat a bit better, compared to the "passive" styles.
When you run it on 750 watts, it will put out about half that (duh). If you know what you typically pay per kilowatt-hour, you can predict your costs by figuring the number of hours it will be on, and at what wattage setting.

To compare fuel costs (and to figure whether you're really saving any money by turning down your thermostat while turning on the space heater), multiply your cost per kilowatt-hour (I'm paying about 16.5 cents/kwh) by 293 to get the cost per million BTU (this will be your space heater cost). If you heat with oil, divide your cost per gallon of heating oil by .14 and then multiply it by an estimated efficiency (say .80-.85) to get the cost per million BTU. If you heat with natural gas, figure out the cost per therm from the most recent heating bill multiply it by 10, then divide by .80-.96 (check the Energy Star AFUE - annual fuel utilization efficiency - yellow tag) to get the cost per million BTU.

Of course, if you end up heating a much smaller portion of your house, that will work to your advantage, too.

Eric
etarini

Postby david99 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:18 pm

I use a Vornado electric space heater for about a 120 sq. ft room and it does a good job --- it is also quiet. The other space heaters I had were not so quiet. It does make some noise because of the fan but still fairly quiet.
david99

Postby nonnie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:04 pm

etarini wrote:There's only one thing you need to know about an electric space heater - wattage. Eric

Thanks for your detailed reply. It has encouraged me to calculate costs. What you say above, however, might apply to costs but it doesn't apply to the differences between space heaters with fans which can heat up a space quickly and DeLonghi oil filled ones I was speaking of which take much longer to heat a room because as far as I know, they don't have fans.. It's still a conundrum for me since he's the one that needs heat-- I thrive at 55-60 degrees.

Nonnie
nonnie

Postby Imperabo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 pm

If you stay in one spot, like at a desk in an office, it's cheaper to heat just the spot where you are than the entire room. Especially true if it's only for a short period in the day. That's why I use a small 400 watt radiator type heater under my desk before work in the morning. A fan heater would spread its heat throughout the room, but why do I want to heat the whole room when I'm only occupying 5% of it?
Imperabo

Postby EmergDoc » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:23 pm

I have a $15 one from Wal-mart. Works fine for a small area. Plugs into your regular outlet. I'd start with that before spending a bundle.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
EmergDoc

Postby kenyan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:24 pm

We have a couple of these ceramic heaters; they are compact, inexpensive, effective, and safe. Looks like the settings (I didn't know this) are 900-watt and 1500-watt. My wife (the cold one) loves them.

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-754200-Cera ... B000TKDQ5C
Retirement investing is a marathon.
kenyan

Postby ohiost90 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 pm

we have a Low-profile convection heater, sorry can't remember the brand. It works like a champ to heat(more like take the chill out of the air) our bedroom.
We turn it on when we start to get ready for bed at night and usually turn it off before we hit the lights. It quite and puts out a nice even heat.
ohiost90

Postby jridger2011 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:42 pm

I also have a Lasko ceramic heater. It works pretty well for what it is and doesn't use a ton of electricity.
jridger2011

Postby NAVigator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am

I have a Delonghi "SafeHeat" oil-filled radiator heater which is energy efficient, very portable, plugs into a standard outlet and heats a whole room continuously. I liked it so much I bought another one a few days ago and have started using it in another room. This allows me to heat the room(s) where I spend the most time and keep the rest of the house cooler.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby Epsilon Delta » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

Here's something else you need to know about heaters.

There are three ways a heater can heat things, including you.
  • Conduction
  • Convection
  • Radiation

Conduction requires direct physical contact and we can ignore it for electric heaters (though a hot cup of coffee warms the hands nicely).
Convection warms the air in the room, some of the air warms you.
Radiation warms the surfaces in the room, including you.

Radiation is much quicker, since there is no intermediate air, and more effective, since it warms you directly. Radiation is what you feel when you hold your hands up to a fire. A low power radiator (or even better a pair, one on each side of you) will warm you up as soon as they are turned on and do a much better job than a much higher powered convector, which has to warm the air in the room and most of the surfaces before it has much effect.

How do you tell a radiator from a convector? Easily, radiators glow. If it's not glowing it is a convector not a radiator. Now a glowing red heater can be a fire hazard so there is a trade off, but you should at least know what it is.
Epsilon Delta

Postby rocksindex » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:49 am

I have both a Lasko ceramic heater and a Delonghi oil heater in my office. In your case, for 1-2 hours usage at a time, I'd buy the Lasko. It heats up the room within minutes.

The oil heater has a programmable timer, which works much better for my use case (I know I'll be home in the office between 6-10 every day, so I program it to turn on at 5:30).
rocksindex

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 am

I was in a Japanese restaurant recently and they had two "parabolic" heaters from Harbor Freight going near the front door. Worked great. About 800 watts and $30 each. I believe there are sales this coming week?
reggiesimpson

Postby stev » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:30 pm

What about 120 volt vs 220 volt space heaters?
stev

Postby john94549 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:15 pm

I have a Honeywell Baseboard Heater, about four feet long, nine inches high, purchased through Amazon, about a hundred bucks, incl shipping and tax. This is my second. The first lasted two years, then died. Cranks out just the right amount of heat for a small bedroom/den/office. Noiseless. Controls are fairly easy to set. Auto shut-off when the desired temp is reached.
john94549

Postby nonnie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks VERY much for all the great responses. Now it's decision time. Perhaps I'll get two. First year here and our temps are running 10-15 degrees below normal--sub- freezing and very unusual-- I left my ice scraper back in Michigan 50 years ago!

Nonnie
nonnie

Postby john94549 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm

I am reviving this thread to caution about the Honeywell space heater noted in my post above. Well, the one purchased in December, 2012, just died. The return policy: defective unit must be returned and customer pays to return. No reimbursement.

I just checked Target's return policy. Seems like the good old days of "if it breaks through no fault of yours, just bring it back" are gone.

Meanwhile, we're in a cold snap and my feet are icy.
john94549

Return to Personal Consumer Issues