Raisin Bran vs Raisins and Bran

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Raisin Bran vs Raisins and Bran

Postby dm200 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 pm

I any group has participants who have done the calculations, Diehards would be that group. I notice that Raisin Bran cereal seems to often be relatively low cost, compared to other cold cereals. I put raisins on cereal and bran flakes are in my rotation. My "logic" would say that buying bran flakes and raisins separately should be the better deal, financially -- BUT the prices on the store shelves (seat of the pants calculations) seem to indicate raisin bran may be better?

Any Diehards have a formula or done the calculations?
dm200

Re: Raisin Bran vs Raisins and Bran

Postby bengal22 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm a Captain Crunch man myself. Much healthier.
bengal22

Postby Random Musings » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 pm

I just buy the raisin bran and forget about it.

With respect to CC, I do have a Captain Crunch hat that I have worn on Halloween. Gotta like eyebrows on the hat.

My favorite, however, is Cocoa Krispies. When the kids let me have some.

RM
Random Musings

Postby livesoft » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 pm

I haven't had to do the calculations since Total Raisan Bran is no longer available in my area. Instead, I buy Total and add Craisans (dried chopped cranberries). And buy the cranberries when they are on sale as they will keep for years.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby nisiprius » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:58 pm

I haven't done the calculations, but they'd probably differ regionally anyway.

Yes, I have frequently pricing anomalies in which the price of the whole differs significantly from the sum of the prices of the parts. The anomaly can be in either direction. Surprisingly, mix-it-yourself is not always cheaper than the premixed.

Some conspicuous examples: midgrade gasoline is often very different in price from the equivalent-octane-mix of regular and premium, and the difference can go either way. Half-caf coffee is typically cheaper than a 50/50 mix of regular and decaf, and, yes, I'm talking price per ounce and taking into account the intentionally-bewildering variation in container sizes.

But who is going to put in the time and effort to sort out and weigh the raisins in raisin bran to find out how much they put it? Let alone the "quality" issue, as boxed "raisins" are bigger and plumper than the raisins that go into raisin bran.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: "Citizen of the terrestrial sphere"--O. Henry, "A Cosmopolite in a Cafe"

Postby chaz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm

I prefer kashi brand - much healthier IMO.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby JupiterJones » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 pm

nisiprius wrote:But who is going to put in the time and effort to sort out and weigh the raisins in raisin bran to find out how much they put it?

No need. I have the answer right here.

Of course, the downside to buying Raisin Bran is that you're stuck with the AA they give you in the box. I suppose you could add raisins if you wanted to tilt more toward dried fruit.

JJ
Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Postby Calm Man » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Raisin bran in the pre-mixed variety contains sodium and various other substances that are not of use for the most part. I would mix it in your desired allocation and avoid tilting.
Calm Man

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Do raisins have bran? Does Whole Foods sell the bran off the raisin? Doesn't it cost like $23.68 a pound like everything else at Whole Foods? I buy oat bran at WF, and it is a little less than that, but I think that is because it is easier to get the bran off an oat than off a raisin.

My guess is that Kellogg's pays less for the bran of the raisin than you pay at Whole Foods. That's why buying from Kellogg's is cheaper.
sscritic

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I buy 10 boxes of Raisin Bran at a time. My store regularly runs sales at 40 to 50% off with get another $5 off if you buy 10 items from a particular list. Sometimes I don't buy only Kellogg's Raisin Bran, sometimes I pick up a box of Kellogg's All-Bran Bran Buds or Kellogg's All-Bran Original.

At $4.59 a box on sale for $2.79 with the extra $0.50 off, I pay $2.29 a box. (All prices except the $0.50 fake to protect the innocent raisins.)

I once tried to buy raisins at 40% off with an extra $0.50 off if I bought 10 boxes, but I couldn't find them. That's another reason I buy boxes of cereal at the grocery store and not raw bran at WF for 23.68 a pound.
Last edited by sscritic on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Postby VictoriaF » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I suspect that Raisin Bran helps you to build assets that you would rather be without.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:06 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I suspect that Raisin Bran helps you to build assets that you would rather be without.

I thought the term was emptying out assets.
sscritic

Postby VictoriaF » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 pm

sscritic wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I suspect that Raisin Bran helps you to build assets that you would rather be without.

I thought the term was emptying out assets.
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 am

chaz wrote:I prefer kashi brand - much healthier IMO.

+1

The main benefit of kashi brain is the whole grains. Raisin bran (and most bran cereals) require you to eat alot of it to get the benefit of the fiber. Nature's path organic smart bran with psyllium and oatbran requires you to each far less and get alot of fiber in your diet (if that's what you're going for). The nature's path looks like rabbit food, but one can get over that easily enough. Unfortunately, it tastes nothing like cap'n crunch or cocoa krispies.
The goal of investing is not to beat the market, but rather to beat inflation.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Postby gd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am

If you really want to think outside the box, switch to drums of store-brand 1-minute oatmeal. Superior in all respects once you work out your preferred recipe. I put raisins in it, just the right amount of water for my preferred texture, microwave for 2 minutes, add wheat germ, honey, milk, fruit in season. And for the record, this is vastly cheaper than those gawd-awful little packages of pulverized oatmeal full of sugar and chemicals.
gd

Postby sscritic » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 am

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
chaz wrote:I prefer kashi brand - much healthier IMO.

The main benefit of kashi brain is the whole grains.

I looked for Kashi brand raisin bran, but couldn't find it. I also looked for the Kashi brand of brain, but I couldn't find it either.
http://www.kashi.com/products/category/Cold%20Cereal

They do sell Oatmeal Raisin cookies
With decadent flavors and textures, Kashi Cookies show that snacking can be tasty, indulgent, and have nutrition you can feel great about. Our cookies combine our signature Seven Whole Grain blend with hearty, natural ingredients such as raisins, sunflower seeds, cranberries, shredded coconut, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, and dark chocolate. The result is a delicious chewy cookie that has a home-baked taste.
http://www.kashi.com/products/tlc_cooki ... aisin_flax

I am not sure how much decedence and indulgence I can handle early in the morning.
sscritic

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 pm

For those who like Kelloggs or those who prefer Kashi - they are brands both owned by Kelloggs. Kashi is the organic label and Kelloggs is the low-end mass production label.

I'm a Multi-grain Chex muncher myself.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Teaspoon of Metamucil (or less)! Saves money, time, cleanup and............gas. Bogleheadism.
reggiesimpson

Postby Calm Man » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm

I discovered something today as I make oatmeal a lot and was tired of watching the microwave for boil overs. You take the oatmeal, add water (and some rains, nuts, Splenda if you wish) and let it sit and be happy for about a half hour. I derived a great deal of pleasure from it and now am set for life. It is much more convenient to buy a big oatmeal cannister than those boxes of cereal.
Calm Man

Postby tainted-meat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Calm Man wrote:I discovered something today as I make oatmeal a lot and was tired of watching the microwave for boil overs. You take the oatmeal, add water (and some rains, nuts, Splenda if you wish) and let it sit and be happy for about a half hour. I derived a great deal of pleasure from it and now am set for life. It is much more convenient to buy a big oatmeal cannister than those boxes of cereal.

Canister oatmeal is good!
tainted-meat

Postby arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:34 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:Teaspoon of Metamucil (or less)! Saves money, time, cleanup and............gas. Bogleheadism.

So now if we're talking function over form, nothing quite packs the punch that Kathy's Mix does (you make it yourself with the following ingredients):
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon prune juice
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 tablespoon applesauce.

Eat that once a day and after 2-3 days, you're right as rain! :happy Has this thread devolved or what?
The goal of investing is not to beat the market, but rather to beat inflation.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Postby Petrocelli » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm

While we are on the subject, has anyone figured out if it is cheaper to raise and butcher a cow rather than buying steak?
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Petrocelli

Postby Petrocelli » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Also on topic, my observation is that raisan bran is frequently on sale at my market. When it is, I buy 3 or 4 boxes, which lasts a while.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Petrocelli

Postby bungalow10 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:52 pm

The Costco (Kirkland) brand of Raisin Bran is pretty good, and a decent price.

However, we buy either old-fashioned oats or steel-cut oats in bulk and add our own walnuts and craisins. Much more economical and pretty healthy.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bungalow10

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:27 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Teaspoon of Metamucil (or less)! Saves money, time, cleanup and............gas. Bogleheadism.

So now if we're talking function over form, nothing quite packs the punch that Kathy's Mix does (you make it yourself with the following ingredients):
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon prune juice
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 tablespoon applesauce.

Eat that once a day and after 2-3 days, you're right as rain! :happy Has this thread devolved or what?

Most definitely... LOL
reggiesimpson

Postby dm200 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Petrocelli wrote:While we are on the subject, has anyone figured out if it is cheaper to raise and butcher a cow rather than buying steak?

Certainly a little "messier" both the raising and butchering. Might also violate the zoning ordinances where most Diehards live.
dm200

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Forum Policy

...Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.

Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Personal Consumer Issues