Quality of clothing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Quality of clothing

Postby newkidontheblock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 pm

How do judge and compare the quality of clothing without local stores?
I am looking to buy some dress shirts and sweaters. Everybody has a sale at this time and I am trying to choose between:
Lands end
LL Bean
Eddie Bauer

I don't mind paying a little more if I know that clothes will last longer.
Is their a site that compares the quality of clothes?

Thanks
newkidontheblock

Re: Quality of clothing

Postby prudent » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Since clothing changes so often I doubt any website could review every current item in stores. However, the three stores you listed all have full satisfaction guarantees - return any time if not satisfied.
prudent

Postby porcupine » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 pm

prudent wrote:Since clothing changes so often I doubt any website could review every current item in stores. However, the three stores you listed all have full satisfaction guarantees - return any time if not satisfied.

... and the one time I bought online from Lands End, I used the guarantee! :oops: Never again!!

- Porupine
porcupine

Postby bUU » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm

We frequently buy clothing from all three of those brands. We have developed a very clear sense of quality order between the three:

1) L. L. Bean
2) Eddie Bauer
3) Land's End

Not only is it important to note that Your Mileage May Vary, but it is important to note that Our Mileage May Vary: Not every stitch of clothing from a brand is the same quality as every other stitch of clothing from that brand.

I want to point out just how good L. L. Bean is by providing an exception that proves the rule. I bought a jacket there years ago. It was a good jacket, but there were certain things that just didn't work well from the start (like the zipper). Due to my own personal usage patterns, those things never really bothered me, and I liked the jacket otherwise, and so I kept it. Three years later, I'm buying a new jacket. I am talking to my spouse while the cashier is ringing up our purchases and mentioned how pleased I am to replace the old jacket, which I was wearing at the time, showing my spouse the small things I didn't like about it. The cashier says to me, "Let me see that." She looks, and she is not happy with the quality of my three year old jacket. So the last thing she enters into the cash register is a refund of its original purchase price of the old jacket.
bUU

Postby EagertoLearnMore » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:55 pm

I concur regarding the downhill path of Lands' End. In the past I had purchased many bedding items and the quality was excellent. After the company was acquired by Sears, the quality of the products deteriorated. The prices are still as high, but the quality is much lower.
EagertoLearnMore

Postby livesoft » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

How to compare: You buy one of each from each store. Then you hold in your hands the items. You send back the one's you don't want. All these mail order stores have liberal return policies.
This signature message sponsored by LadyGeek.
livesoft

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

+1 for LL Bean. Have had good experiences with all of their products. You are buying quality - durable goods --->they last much longer than the stuff sold in major retailers. If you are not satisfied, they stand behind their guarantee, unlike some other merchandisers.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby ddb » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm

For dress shirts, I'd avoid all three items you mention. I have a strong preference for Brooks Brothers wrinkle-free line (in slim fit; you don't actually need to be slim but they just look and fit better). Jos A Bank's wrinkle-free shirts are also very good, IMO. I find the Lands End wrinkle-free shirts to be neither high-quality nor wrinkle-free.

For sweaters, I really like all of the Macy's in-store brands such as Club Room, Alfani, and Tasso Elba (in increasing order of quality). As you mention, great prices on all this stuff this time of year.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
ddb

Postby DualIncomeNoDebt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks for the rec for LL Bean having quality stuff. I'm going to check them out.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Return to Personal Consumer Issues