Looking for recommendations on electric stove

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CherylHall

Looking for recommendations on electric stove

Post by CherylHall »

Hi all, looking for Bogleheads suggestions on electric stoves. Over the holidays a bowl was dropped on the Ceran cooktop and cracked it. Amazingly the part and install costs as much as a new-mid-priced stove including install and this stove is 12 years old, soI am going to get a new stove. Any suggestions on brand etc? I do understand that with the free install and haul away from places like Home Depot they do recycle parts etc from the old stoves. thanks ahead of time.
linuxuser

Re: Looking for recommendations on electric stove

Post by linuxuser »

Go to the local library and see Consumer Reports.

I have been partial to GE/Hotpoint.
leonard

Post by leonard »

At least research and consider Induction.

One of the best purchases I have ever made is an induction range - in this case a GE. expensive, but worth it in terms of time saved on food prep.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
reisner

Post by reisner »

Stay away from the gourmet brands that cost many thousands. They are all less reliable than GE Profile and parts are often impossible to obtain. Our Twelve year old Thermador 's igniters failed, Not made any more!! Luckily our home warranty co. wrote us a check for 6K. We bought a Wolf. Not better than GE and broke three times in the first three years.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We bought a Sears Kenmore this year and are pretty pleased with it. It has all the basic functions without many of the frills that add cost. Costs around $700 i believe. January is supposedly a good time to buy appliances. Do checkout Consumer Report for ratings and review of ranges.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

I have a 14 year old Kenmore with a ceamic top. Its been a great stove and if the new ones are as well built, I'd highly recommend it.
gatorman
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Remember that Kenmore doesn't build anything. All their products are built by other manufacturers and rebranded. There are look-up tables online to translate the model number into a base manufacturer.

Brian
p14175

Post by p14175 »

I like the "stove top" idea in this video (at the 10:55 mark).
6 rooms into 1