Computer/internet security

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Computer/internet security

Postby ataloss » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 pm

I use open dns on my router largely for the phishing/ fraud protection. It blocks known bad sites. Are there better (free) solutions?
ataloss

Re: Computer/internet security

Postby mike143 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:53 pm

I have found Firefox and Adblock Plus a good combination. For the Internet Explorer exploits and compromised ad servers.

Since we have been blocking ad server through our antivirus at work we have not had any malware infections.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby chaz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I also use openDNS.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby jacksprat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I assume you are using a home grade, commodity type router.. probably running a linux variant..

You can modify your hosts file on your router OR your PC to block known malware sites. There are several sites that maintain and update these lists.
Take a look at this:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/default.aspx

advantages: free, easy to modify/update, reduces bandwidth via blocking ads, etc ( get requests never leave your internal network.), you control exactly what you want to block

disadvantages: large entries in the hosts file may slightly delay lookup requests, requires periodic update to keep up with changes

Been using this method for years and it definately seems to have worked(as evidenced by my lack of notifications from antivirus/malware monitoring.)

jacksprat
jacksprat

Postby mike143 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:47 am

chaz wrote:I also use openDNS.

Forgot that, use that home and work.
jacksprat wrote:Take a look at this: http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/default.aspx

I had problems with MVPS HOSTS File blocking legitimate sites which I only figured out after extensive troubleshooting.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby ataloss » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Open dns just seemed easy to me. I had thought of also doing a little self editing of host files based on a list of common malicious sites I had seen online but I wonder if blocking a dozen sites is really productive.
ataloss

Return to Personal Consumer Issues