How to get email to use gmail and not outlook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How to get email to use gmail and not outlook?

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Sometimes, when I click on a website link to 'email [entity]' it opens up outlook. I dont use outlook for email, is there a setting somewhere that I could adjust so that the link opens an email in my gmail?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Re: How to get email to use gmail and not outlook?

Postby empb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm

99% sure the setting is browser-dependent. Suggest you google: <your browser> change mailto:
empb

Postby JupiterJones » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 pm

Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I use Chrome, Windows XP.

There is supposed to be a "protocol handler" icon next to the "omni bar", but I can't seem to locate it.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Jerilynn

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Jerilynn wrote:I use Chrome, Windows XP.

There is supposed to be a "protocol handler" icon next to the "omni bar", but I can't seem to locate it.

Google Chrome won't let you use Google gmail. Maybe you should ask Google to contact Google to fix the problem. :)
sscritic

Postby hillman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

sscritic wrote:
Jerilynn wrote:I use Chrome, Windows XP.

Google Chrome won't let you use Google gmail. Maybe you should ask Google to contact Google to fix the problem. :)

And you can google to find Google's contact info.

Google

TGIF :sharebeer
hillman

Postby cheese_breath » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 pm

I have Chrome on Win7, although I admit I hardly use it. I just tried it though and had no problem getting to Gmail. I was just fooling around with the settings and discovered I can specify it go to the Gmail page in a different tab than my home page at startup. Can you do this in XP?
The surest way to know the future is when it's the past.
cheese_breath

Postby jonbois » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Download and use windows live. It's free. Just set the default to gmail and you can link to all your email accounts except yahoo. Works like outlook but it doesn't have as many bells...
jonbois

Postby MathWizard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 pm

This is just a setting in Firefox:

Here is a URL on how to do this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248856/h ... art_1.html

For IE, you need a program, and google supplies one.
MathWizard

Postby mildred66 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Here is a link to a discussion forum on this issues.

One ideas is to change preferences in Outlook (make it NOT the default email client):

How do I change the mailto in Chrome?
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... ngTaedzxWc
mildred66

Postby ourbrooks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm

The OP did not say which browser she was using. If the browser is Google Chrome, here's how you do it:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2012/02/open-mailto-links-using-gmail-in-google.html

Here's the answer for Internet Explorer:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071015193135AAnmEOO
ourbrooks

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 pm

mildred66 wrote:Here is a link to a discussion forum on this issues.

One idea is to change preferences in Outlook (make it NOT the default email client):

Tried that, didn't work.
Jerilynn

Postby cheese_breath » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Are you trying to use the web mail or a client system? If a client, rather than making Outlook not the the default you should be able to specify the one you want IS the default.
cheese_breath

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:44 pm

cheese_breath wrote:Are you trying to use the web mail or a client system? If a client, rather than making Outlook not the the default you should be able to specify the one you want IS the default.

Translation: Are you accessing gmail from your web browser, or, from another email program like Thunderbird (what I do)?

(Yes, you can access gmail without using your web browser. But you have to have an email program installed.)

(Updated to clarify that an email program is needed.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:45 pm

cheese_breath wrote:Are you trying to use the web mail or a client system? If a client, rather than making Outlook not the the default you should be able to specify the one you want IS the default.

:?:
I'm in chrome, on a web site, there is a link that says 'contact us'. I click on it and it opens outlook's email. I want it to open up gmail. I'm not sure if that's a client or not.
Jerilynn

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:46 pm

LadyGeek wrote:

Translation: Are you accessing gmail from your web browser, or, from another email program like Thunderbird (what I do)?

(Yes, you can access gmail without using your web browser.)

I see. No, I don't use Thunderbird, Outlook Express or a similar program.

I'm in chrome, on a web site, there is a link that says 'contact us'. I click on it and it opens outlook's email. I want it to open up gmail. I'm not sure if that's a client or not.
Jerilynn

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 pm

OK, I gather that you've always had it work this way. Your browser is associating a link containing the words "mailto:" to an email program on your PC. That's what browsers do.

The only one that runs on your PC is Outlook, so that what it runs. Whether you use the program or not, it doesn't care.

This will always happen unless you either 1) uninstall Outlook or 2) install a different email program. If it's uninstalled, your browser won't do anything when you click on the link.

Your problem is figuring out what the 'contact us' email address is.

Easy: Let Outlook open, then copy and paste the email address into gmail.

Harder: Copy the link location (right-mouse click, I think) and paste into gmail directly. You might have to remove some extra formatting, but I'm not sure.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Cyclone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:29 pm

I have a similar problem to the "OP", but in my case I would like my Yahoo email account to open. And I am not a computer expert by any means.
Cyclone

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 pm

We posted at nearly the same time. My answer above should apply for Yahoo, assuming you're logging into Yahoo via the web browser and don't have any email programs installed (or one that you don't use).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 pm

From Firefox's helpful help (as opposed to Chrome's unhelpful help):
Setting your operating system's default mail program

By default, Firefox will use your system's default mail client to send e-mail for the actions listed above. To change the default mail client using your operating system, follow the instructions below.

Windows 7 and Vista
Click the Start button, then click the Default Programs item.
Click on Set your default programs.
Under Programs, click the e‑mail program you'd like to use (e.g. Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Outlook).
Click Set this program as default.
Click OK at the bottom of the window.
Windows XP
Click the Start button, then click on the Control Panel icon to open the Windows Control Panel.
Click the Add or Remove Programs icon to open the Add or Remove Programs applet.
On the left side of the Window click the Set Program Access and Defaults icon.
In the Access and Defaults window, click on the Custom radio button to expand the Custom category.
Underneath Choose a default e-mail program, click the radio button next to the program you want to use (e.g. Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Outlook).
Click OK at the bottom of the window.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... owser=fx17

Note from LadyGeek:
Yes, you can access gmail without using your web browser

If Gmail isn't installed as a client, you can't choose it.
sscritic

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:48 pm

sscritic wrote:Note from LadyGeek:
Yes, you can access gmail without using your web browser

If Gmail isn't installed as a client, you can't choose it.

I clarified my post - you need an email program already installed. I access gmail from Thunderbird.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Epsilon Delta » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Jerilynn wrote:Sometimes, when I click on a website link to 'email [entity]' it opens up outlook. I dont use outlook for email, is there a setting somewhere that I could adjust so that the link opens an email in my gmail?

I haven't seen a website with an email address for years. Even when I've looked. For example here is Google's contact page, the only contact information I can see is snail mail and telephone. Apparently Google does not use email.

http://www.google.com/contact/
Epsilon Delta

Postby cheese_breath » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Trying to summarize all the above and maybe add a little more, when you clink on an 'email [entity]' link XP will open a client Email system running on your computer. Gmail is web mail on the internet, not on your computer. Some other web mail systems are Yahoo mail, Hotmail, AOL Mail, Comcast mail, etc. Clicking on the 'email [entity]' link does not open a web mail system, only a client. But a client system (examples: Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird) can be set up to interface with Gmail so you can send and receive Gmails through the client system. You might want to have someone with just a little technical background set up Outlook so you can use it to interface with Gmail. Or you might want to use a simpler client like Thunderbird or Outlook Express. I use Thunderbird. It is similar in look and functionality to Outlook Express and easily ports to Win7. Something to think about for the future. Outlook Express is not supported on Win7.
cheese_breath

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
The only one that runs on your PC is Outlook, so that what it runs. Whether you use the program or not, it doesn't care.

This will always happen unless you either 1) uninstall Outlook or 2) install a different email program. If it's uninstalled, your browser won't do anything when you click on the link.

Gotcha!

Easy: Let Outlook open, then copy and paste the email address into gmail.

Pretty much what I have been doing, but I found a setting on outlook so I can send email via gmail directly, so I guess that's the best I am going to do.

Here's an example of what I am referring to, in case anyone else is wondering what the heck I am talking about:

click here, http://andrewtobias.com/column/memail/ then click on the myvastfortune@aol.com.
Jerilynn

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I clarified my post - you need an email program already installed. I access gmail from Thunderbird.

And I access it from Mac Mail. When I click on a mailto: Mail opens up with a compose window. Within the compose window (below the addressing but above the text), there is a drop down for the smtp server I wish to use. It is actually the From: line, and I can choose which sscritic I wish to be, the one at this or that ISP or the gmail one. My choices are limited to the smtp servers* I have access to through my accounts that have been added to Mail.

* I actually can use an Exchange Server as well; account settings include an Outgoing Mail Server line.
sscritic

Postby Jerilynn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 pm

cheese_breath wrote: But a client system (examples: Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird) can be set up to interface with Gmail so you can send and receive Gmails through the client system.

Yep. That's what I ended up doing.

You might want to have someone with just a little technical background set up Outlook so you can use it to interface with Gmail.

Is was easy, just click on the appropriate tab, enter your email address and password, then Outlook configures it automagically.

Or you might want to use a simpler client like Thunderbird or Outlook Express. I use Thunderbird. It is similar in look and functionality to Outlook Express and easily ports to Win7. Something to think about for the future. Outlook Express is not supported on Win7.

I used Thunderbird and Outlook Express for years for my (image intensive) dental forums. Big problem was accessing it from a few different machines. Gmail, is adequate for my needs.
Jerilynn

Postby notinuse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:04 am

Jerilynn wrote:I used Thunderbird and Outlook Express for years for my (image intensive) dental forums. Big problem was accessing it from a few different machines. Gmail, is adequate for my needs.

You can still use Thunderbird if you want, on multiple machines. Just access Gmail using IMAP instead of POP. Works for me. Using a web browser to handle email is like taking a bath with your socks on.
notinuse

Postby CyberBob » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 am

CyberBob

Postby RyanC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Don't know if this will help, but I have Firefox set up to do what the OP is asking to do.

In Firefox, go to Options, Options, Applications, then scroll down to get to "mailto" and use the dropdown window to select Gmail.

When I tried the links Jeri posted a Gmail tab opened on my browser.
RyanC

Postby Jerilynn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:03 pm

CyberBob wrote:Chrome help-page how-to Use Gmail for all of your email links in Chrome.
Or if you don't use Chrome: Making Gmail your default mail application.

Bob

Tried that, didn't work. There is no protocol handler icon. See above for Lady Geek's explanation.
Last edited by Jerilynn on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerilynn

Postby Jerilynn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm

RyanC wrote:Don't know if this will help, but I have Firefox set up to do what the OP is asking to do.

In Firefox, go to Options, Options, Applications, then scroll down to get to "mailto" and use the dropdown window to select Gmail.

When I tried the links Jeri posted a Gmail tab opened on my browser.

I can get it to work just fine with Firefox, too. Not with Chrome. Bah!
Jerilynn

Postby jeffyscott » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:28 pm

I use chrome and have it set to open gmail (in a browser window), when I click on a link. Not sure how I got it set up this way, I don't think it was via gmail notifier, but on a previous computer that is how I think I did it. I didn't have to use the notifier, once it was installed and allowed me to change how chrome handles email links, I just turned it off.

http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/ ... ndows.html

Someone else asked about yahoo mail and at least in the past the only way I could get that to open via email links was to download their toolbar. I don't think I had to actually use the toolbar.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby daytona084 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:59 pm

I acknowledge that this seems to be an important issue for some folks, but I literally cannot remember the last time I sent an email by clicking a "mailto" link. Maybe never.
daytona084

Postby thebogledude » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:41 pm

you can download google talk, in settings ->general there is an option to open gmail when you click on email links. check it.
this is the only way I know to set gmail to open email links.
thebogledude

Postby Jerilynn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:13 am

I just figured out the solution!

Not sure how exactly, though. :oops:

I was on a website and finally saw the pesky protocol handler icon. Clicked on it and got the option to add Gmail to my protocol handler list (or something to that effect), clicked on the option and now whenever I click on an email address on a web site, Gmail pops up. :!: In my chrome settings under >>privacy>>content settings>>protocol handlers>>manage handlers>>active protocol handlers it now shows "type: mailto" "site:gmail". and it give me an option to "remove this site". There is no option to add a site.

Computers! Can't live with them, can't live without them.
Jerilynn

Postby Lacrocious » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:53 am

I had this problem with my parents as they converted to using Yahoo WebMail from Windows Mail. They would try to use Picasa or some other app to automatically send mail and it would launch Outlook or other local programs. I know that Chrome and other browsers can handle MailTo links, but not other programs. I found this as a solution and it has been working for about 4 years now.

http://www.affixa.com/

The basic version is free for personal use and has a low cost for (<$4 / year) for the advanced version. For things like Picasa, it allows the Send via Email function to the Affixia utility. The utility will create a draft message in Yahoo (or GMail or others) that contains the attachment. There are many more features if you need more advanced function.

- L
Lacrocious

Return to Personal Consumer Issues