Winter getaway to Central America

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Winter getaway to Central America

Post by coalcracker »

In late January my wife and I plan to get away somewhere warm for 1 week, and we are thinking about Central America. We are looking for:

1. On the beach
2. At least a few activities nearby to break up the beach lounging a little. I'm thinking rainforest, ruins, scuba, etc.
3. Somewhat off the tourism radar would be nice, but at least someplace where it feels like I'm in a foreign country and not on the Jersey Shore. We have traveled quite extensively (just not to Central America), and are comfortable in a developing country setting.
4. Easy access with a NONSTOP fight from a major US city. We live in a small city so will already need 1 connection stateside, I don't want a 2 connection flight for a week trip.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Neal
reggiesimpson

Re: Winter getaway to Central America

Post by reggiesimpson »

Costa Rica.
fcox85

Post by fcox85 »

reggiesimpson wrote:Costa Rica.
+1.

In September, my wife and I honeymooned at Hotel Villa Caletas, and really enjoyed the week that we spent there. The Hotel is a small, privately-owned boutique hotel, with a limited number of rooms. The hotel sits up on a mountain, with with the pools and restaurants overlooking jungle that leads down to the Pacific Ocean. The sunsets are absolutely gorgeous! There is a small private beach below the hotel, and on the ride down, you have the opportunity to see monkeys, toucans, and macaws in the jungle. I would recommend the Zephyr Palace, which is a separate building of 7 or so larger suites. About an 1.5 hours or so from San Jose airport, and the hotel will send someone to pick you up. Food/alcohol on site is a bit expensive, but you can easily ride 5 or so minutes into a nearby town and buy your own at a market/grocery store.

One caveat: the beach is not a traditional white sand beach, as many in the US may think of. It's more of a smaller natural alcove where the jungle opens up to the Pacific. However, it is nice and private.

If you go in February or September, you will also have the opportunity to see Humpback Whales migrating through the area.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I agree on Costa Rica. Went there two years ago and loved it. So beautiful.

Car / Taxi rides from San Jose will take a several hours or more to go to the more exotic locations but I think it's worth it.

One place we loved:
http://www.lasavellanasvillas.com/
TRC

Post by TRC »

I was in Costa Rica this past January and it was great. Of all the tropical places I've been too, the locals here were the nicest.

We stayed at the JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa. Really nice, but a hike from the airport (a good hour + drive). Not much near the resort for restaurants. We mostly ate in a small surf town of Tamarindo.

Really cool place in general though.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Another vote for Costa Rica. :happy

Lev
chaz

Post by chaz »

I got a hand carved cane in Costa Rica. Fond memories.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

I spent two weeks in Samara, Costa Rica this year. It's heaven.

http://samarabeach.com/

Fly to Liberia (not San Jose), take a shuttle (1.5 hours, paved road! - $100) and you will be right on the beach in a small, lovely town with everything you could possibly want from Costa Rica. There is a tour agency on the main street to help you with rainforest trips, horseback riding, bike rental, etc. - be sure to go here for that; don't get scammed by a well-known female scammer on the street who tries to sign you up. The Samara Information Center is also excellent for booking tours:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... caste.html

By far the best hotel is Tree House Inn - http://www.samaratreehouse.com/Samara_T ... lcome.html Right on the beach, pool, 24/7 security guard, complementary breakfast, coffee ready as early as 5:30 a.m.! They also offer shuttle to and from airport.

A fantastic restaurant on Samara beach that you shouldn't miss: El Lagarto: http://www.samarabeach.com/ellagarto/index.html

You'll fall in love with this place!
Rubiosa

Post by Rubiosa »

Panama.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Glad to see all the votes for Costa Rico.

Wife and twin 12 year old boys and I are going for a week in February.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

From the feedback i have received over the years the Pacific coast of Costa Rica is far more desirable than its East coast.
dianna

Post by dianna »

reggiesimpson wrote:Costa Rica.
+2 (or whatever count we are up to) for Costa Rica. Went there several years ago for a few weeks and am itching to get back. When we went, we flew into San Jose from major US city, then flew up to Arenal Volcano, stayed at the base of the Volcano and near Tabacon Springs for a few days (volcano is AMAZING... it's a basalt volcano so it's very different than the lava flow volcanoes that you think of in places like Hawaii... we were lucky to see the volcano active on our first night because it's often covered with fog from the cloud forest), then rented a car (we are adventurous.... driving in the inland of Costa Rica can at times be like driving on an awful, washed-out dry riverbed!) and drove west to the Pacific Coast, then later South down to Quepos / Manuel Antonio national park.

What we loved: Arenal volcano, Beaches, Cloud Forest and Tropical Rainforest (different from "cloud forest" in so many ways) experiences (bird watching, hiking, trekking, ziplines), nice people, food. We had a mission to see all 4 monkey species indigenous to Costa Rica and met our goal. Birds are amazing, particularly the Quetzal. Also saw both 2-toed and 3-toed sloths in the forests. A very fun Fauna, Flora, ecosystem and adventure trip.

Happy Trails!
praxis

Post by praxis »

We go to Central America almost every winter for a beach vacation. Our favorite spots that meet your specifications are Roatan in Honduras, or Ambergris, Caye Caulker and Placencia in Belize, or Culebra or Vieques in Puerto Rico. We used to love to visit Isla Mujeres off the Cancun coast, but haven't been in a while. You can find a range of housing options at most of these locations. How classy do you want it? How "local" can you take it?

Costa Rica is great for any American. It's definitely the Switzerland of Central America. English is more common there and there are many luxury resorts on the beach and in the forests that make an American feel at home. It's farther away and pricier than we prefer.

We like the beach too and also like to practice our Spanish and scuba and snorkel nearby and fish and sometimes cook in our room and sometimes eat out at night. We like the casual feel and cheap prices and direct flights to a small airport near the beaches of the options listed above.

We find Central Americans generally to be very kind and gentle and accommodating to our attempts at Spanish. We prefer to eat seafood and tropical fruit and drink rum and cold beer, so we keep going back to these choices. We are booked into Culebra in February this season. I like to check the most recent traveler reviews and photos in Trip Advisor for details and travel tips and recommendations on a location or lodging option.

Have fun!
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

praxis wrote:We go to Central America almost every winter for a beach vacation. Our favorite spots that meet your specifications are Roatan in Honduras, or Ambergris, Caye Caulker and Placencia in Belize, or Culebra or Vieques in Puerto Rico. We used to love to visit Isla Mujeres off the Cancun coast, but haven't been in a while. You can find a range of housing options at most of these locations. How classy do you want it? How "local" can you take it?

Costa Rica is great for any American. It's definitely the Switzerland of Central America. English is more common there and there are many luxury resorts on the beach and in the forests that make an American feel at home. It's farther away and pricier than we prefer.

We like the beach too and also like to practice our Spanish and scuba and snorkel nearby and fish and sometimes cook in our room and sometimes eat out at night. We like the casual feel and cheap prices and direct flights to a small airport near the beaches of the options listed above.

We find Central Americans generally to be very kind and gentle and accommodating to our attempts at Spanish. We prefer to eat seafood and tropical fruit and drink rum and cold beer, so we keep going back to these choices. We are booked into Culebra in February this season. I like to check the most recent traveler reviews and photos in Trip Advisor for details and travel tips and recommendations on a location or lodging option.

Have fun!
Isla Mujeres. The Isle of Women. I had completely forgotten about that outstanding trip.Visited there in 1983. Went deep sea fishing with an old ex-pat American retired from Zerox. Caught 35 25/35lb Tuna. What a day. Thanks for jogging my memory.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Don't know about Costa Rica, never been. But I can second the recommendation about Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker off the coast of Belize. Been three times and always regretted coming home. English is spoken everywhere and the US dollar is a valid currency. Never felt in danger and it is not "touristy". Great reef for diving too.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Never been to Costa Rica (yet), but I spent some time in Panama a few years ago and it was awesome. From what people have told me, Panama is what Costa Rica was like years ago before all the tourists came. There was lots to do, and it was one of the cheapest vacations I've ever taken.
suming

Post by suming »

Never been to Costa Rica (yet), but I spent some time in Panama a few years ago and it was awesome. From what people have told me, Panama is what Costa Rica was like years ago before all the tourists came. There was lots to do, and it was one of the cheapest vacations I've ever taken.

Climber2020
Would you please provide more good spots about Panama? Is it a good idea to go both Panama and Costa Rica in 9 days?
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

Costa Rica is great. Quepos / Manuel Antonio area is very nice and convenient to reach from San Jose. I would not try for Panama also in 9 days b/c there's lots in Costa Rica and it's a pretty long way. But if you do want a 2nd country you could cross to Nicaragua easily either by land or (I recommend) water taxi from los chiles down the rio frio to san carlos, stay at the amazing "La Esquina del Lago" lodge there, take the boat to Ometepe Island or directly to san jorge, then to San Juan del Sur, a great beach/surfing town. From there in January we took a night truck ride to see sea turtles laying eggs and eggs hatching. Bus to the border and then on to San Jose from San Juan del Sur was easy but in hindsight a rental car would also have been ok.
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

My family and I just returned from Costa Rica. It was a great trip but I could not help comparing it to Thailand since we went there last year. It is much closer than Thailand so it is easier, but we felt Costa Rica was very overpriced for what you get. We were there for four weeks and travelled around the country a fair amount. Definitely worth a visit but certainly not a country I would visit again unless the prices drop dramatically.

I went to Roatan to dive afterwards and the diving was very cheap and very nice, however the West End area is very dirty. A small effort to pick up the trash would do wonders for the appearance of the area.
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

Neal wrote:In late January my wife and I plan to get away somewhere warm for 1 week, and we are thinking about Central America. We are looking for:

1. On the beach
2. At least a few activities nearby to break up the beach lounging a little. I'm thinking rainforest, ruins, scuba, etc.
3. Somewhat off the tourism radar would be nice, but at least someplace where it feels like I'm in a foreign country and not on the Jersey Shore. We have traveled quite extensively (just not to Central America), and are comfortable in a developing country setting.
4. Easy access with a NONSTOP fight from a major US city. We live in a small city so will already need 1 connection stateside, I don't want a 2 connection flight for a week trip.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Neal
Southern coast of Belize (Dangriga area) is less touristed than the Cayes and still has easy access for a trip inland to rainforest or a day trip (i'd recommend overnight) to Tikal. Cost Rica or Roatan are definitely not off the tourist radar - if you really want to get off the radar try the Corn islands in Nicaragua.