A tablet can replace a computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TS1

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Post by TS1 »

Without having read the article or most of the posts... I would say that I like the idea because I find laptops promote a hunched posture. A tablet could be propped up high with the keyboard low, like a desktop, but be portable like a laptop.
greenspam

R: A tablet can replace a computer

Post by greenspam »

i was gonna start a thread along these lines but found this old one to revive/update.
i have 2 dead old heavy laptops and am looking to replace with a small/light device such as a small laptop or tablet.

but, along the lines of this thread, can a tablet really 'replace' a laptop...

i really just need word/excel/powerpoint/email/internet; have been looking at the microsoft surface with keyboard...
but, since i dont really care about 'apps' and the other tablet features, maybe a small laptop or notebook would be best ???

obviously i am confused (its been yrs since i got a new 'portable' device to work on) so here is my question:

what would you recommend as a small, lightweight device on which to primarily run aforementioned software (basically, microsoft office).

the microsoft surface tablet with keyboard looks cool, CNET gave it lukewarm review, and i know nothing about minilaptops or notebooks....

HELP !!!
as always, | peace, | greenie.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I just ordered from Amazon the new Google Nexus 7 which will replace the iPod Touch 5 I carry around for my mobile computing/reading needs. The wife has been using a Google Nexus 10 since December, replacing an old Asus Netbook (remember that craze?), and has found it perfect for her surfing and email needs. I like how easy it is to add apps. I won't be giving up my HP laptop, as I still need to do complex spreadsheets which I'm not sure tablets are up to yet (but will be finding out!), but I'm very impressed by their versatility and ease of use.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I am a big proponent of considering use of a tablet in place of a laptop, but if you are doing any serious spreadsheet or word processing type work, you are going to want a dedicated computer to handle those things rather than a tablet. I would look at one of the newer ultra book laptops; if you want to add the convenience of mobile computing, the Nexus 7 mentioned above is a pretty nice device as is the iPad Mini as a second device.

I have basically replaced my laptop with my full size iPad. That said, when I need to do serious work, I use my Windows desktop computer; if I didn't have that available, the iPad alone wouldn't cut it.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I bought a Nexus 7 a couple of months ago, love it. I now have my laptop as financial stuff only. I do all my surfing on my tablet. In the cloud I can print, work on spreadsheets on Google drive, save maps. While traveling, use GPS to find my way around, and find close by eats and things to do.
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

A tablet can replace an old PC with a deficient interface, at least by the way I use a PC. I use many keyboard shortcuts in any program which supports them, prefer a full-size keyboard with a numeric keypad and proper F1-F12 keys, prefer a mouse with at least 9 programmable buttons, have two rows on my Windows taskbar at work to support the multitude of windows I'm working on, and make full use of two >21" screens, to the point that I would love to have 3 or more monitors available. (Alas, many programs have poor multi-monitor support. For example, some dialog boxes in Pro/Engineer will only open on monitor #1. Others will open on the correct one, only to leap over to the other monitor upon receiving any manner of mouse click.)

In any case, I find that using a tablet is like attempting rapid surgery while wearing mittens filled with cold gelatin. The primary benefit for me is the portability. I do have a Windows tablet that's running a dual-core i5 processor with 4GB of RAM, but it's still fairly sluggish for my tastes.

Different tools for different jobs, I suppose. :)
And I will also offer that I'm something of an outlier so far as computer usage is concerned, at least when compared to people at work, or family, or friends. It's like it's my natural habitat. :)
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

When you're talking Win8 tablets, you're talking about a couple different versions which is an important distinction. The regular ones (x86 chipset) are fully powered like a laptop/desktop, a docking station or the other keyboard-attachement options makes it a laptop for all intents and purposes....I recall my boss complaining that the Samsung Slate 7's we got in for testing had a better chipset than his Mac laptop. But the RT versions (ARM chipset) are more like the traditional tablets in the more limited scope of what will run on them.

If I were in the market today to replace my laptop I'd be looking at the Samsung Slate and competitors.

roymeo
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I have a full-sized iPad, and I recently purchased a very light Acer Chromebook to see if it could replace my laptop when I'm on the road. Obviously, the Chromebook runs Google Chrome and does cloud computing using Google drive. While it won't run pure Excel and Word, it will read those files and you can create and edit docs and spreadsheets using Google docs.

While the iPad is fine for surfing the net, when it comes to more serious typing, I either use a bluetooth keyboard or my Chromebook.

Bottom line: Neither device will fully replace my laptop, but the Chromebook comes closest to my needs when it comes to Excel and Word because it runs Google docs. However, if I'm just surfing the net or responding to emails that don't require extensive typing, I use my iPad. Either way, it's nice to not have to take my heavier laptop apart (I have loads of USB devices, chill pads and a large screen monitor attached to it) when I go on the road. I just have to decide which of my other devices (iPad or Chromebook) will be best suited for the kind of work I have to do while on the road on that trip.

Different strokes for different folks.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi