A tablet can replace a computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

A tablet can replace a computer

Postby chaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Proof that a tablet can replace a computer:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/makeuseof- ... roductive/
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: 27 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby The Wizard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm

A tablet IS a computer, along with my smartphone, my (dying) laptop, and my desktop PC...
The Wizard
 
Posts: 5531
Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Location: Reading, MA

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby KyleAAA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:05 pm

He cheated by using a bluetooth keyboard. Basically, it's a two-piece laptop at this point, not a tablet. The only difference is that the keyboard isn't attached to the screen so it's even MORE of a pain to lug around than a traditional laptop. Unimpressed.
KyleAAA
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: 1 Jul 2009

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Toons » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Now all I want for Christmas is Quicken for Android :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
User avatar
Toons
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby The Wizard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm

I like my Asus Transformer Infinity, usable with or without its attachable keyboard...
The Wizard
 
Posts: 5531
Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Location: Reading, MA

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby chaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm

My iPad with retina display and the kindle app is perfect for reading. It is also very good for internet surfing and email.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: 27 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Browser » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm

I would think Bogleheads would be interested in financial and accounting apps, things like Quicken, and spreadsheets. This guy is a "soft" user, no quantitative apps that I can see. It ain't a computer.
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser
 
Posts: 2232
Joined: 5 Sep 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby chaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Browser wrote:I would think Bogleheads would be interested in financial and accounting apps, things like Quicken, and spreadsheets. This guy is a "soft" user, no quantitative apps that I can see. It ain't a computer.

I have the Vanguard app and the Chase bank app. I don't need Quicken or spreadsheets. Yahoo finance and Bogleheads.org are all I need in this area.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: 27 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby sscritic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Browser wrote:I would think Bogleheads would be interested in financial and accounting apps, things like Quicken, and spreadsheets. This guy is a "soft" user, no quantitative apps that I can see. It ain't a computer.

He got quickoffice pro
with Quickoffice® Pro for Android, now you can enjoy true office mobility. Create, edit, access, and share your Microsoft® Office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations

It now hangs out in the cloud, as I understand it, but Excel is still Excel.
sscritic
 
Posts: 19514
Joined: 6 Sep 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby matjen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Microsoft Surface is the answer for those who really need the Office Suite PLUS it works as a phone if your company uses Microsoft's Lync technology for voice. The RT version of the Surface is like a traditional tablet with Office built in EXCEPT Outlook/mail is weak. If you wait for the Pro version it will really be like a full blown PC. This is both good and bad. The good is that it will run all of the Microsoft/PC applications. The bad is that it will be pricey and the battery life will likely only be a 5 hours or less. People get used to their 9 hour tablet battery life.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
User avatar
matjen
 
Posts: 575
Joined: 21 Nov 2011

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Browser » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:20 pm

I'll have to research QuickOffice. I'm also waiting for the Microsoft Surface tablet to come out that will be able to run Win 8 as I understand it. Not that I really want to move from Win 7 to Win 8, but I might consider it if it will let me do everything I do now on my laptop on a tablet with a keyboard.
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser
 
Posts: 2232
Joined: 5 Sep 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby crowd79 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 pm

My Dell PC is 7 years old and probably ready to crap out at any point. I've got an Apple iPad though, which takes some "stress" off of my dinosaur computer and can probably serve as a temporary bridge between my current and future soon-to-be PC.
crowd79
 
Posts: 566
Joined: 18 Nov 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Confused » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Laughable.

As soon as a tablet allows me to multi-task using dual 20-inch monitors, using Firefox to mine data into both Excel and Access, while running SQL queries via C# in Visual Studio and watching a movie on 5.1 surround sound and also allows me to play a myriad of first-person shooters and RPGs with friends/family over the Steam interface and chatting in-game through a wireless headset, then a tablet can replace my computer.
Confused
 
Posts: 406
Joined: 20 Jun 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby chaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Confused wrote:Laughable.

As soon as a tablet allows me to multi-task using dual 20-inch monitors, using Firefox to mine data into both Excel and Access, while running SQL queries via C# in Visual Studio and watching a movie on 5.1 surround sound and also allows me to play a myriad of first-person shooters and RPGs with friends/family over the Steam interface and chatting in-game through a wireless headset, then a tablet can replace my computer.

You are Confused. Clearly a tablet can't do everything yet.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: 27 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby epilnk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm

A tablet IS a computer. It isn't ideal in every situation, but neither is a dual monitor desktop. If you prefer a single device the tablet may still be too limited, but at this point its probably fine for many light users.

I can't imagine ever giving up my laptop, my preferred computer format. But I keep my iPad mini in my purse. A small purse. I've gotten used to typing on the small screen and am now nearly as fast as on a real keyboard. iCloud syncs effortlessly among my devices. So I can pull out my computer whenever I want. I'm typing on it right now, at the hospital clinic waiting for my son's treatment to finish. When (if) I get tired of screwing around on the Internet I'll probably go back to reading PDFs, ordering Christmas gifts, or typing up some notes. There's not much on my to do list I can't accomplish with this.
epilnk
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: 18 Apr 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby sscritic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Confused wrote:Laughable.

As soon as a tablet allows me to multi-task using dual 20-inch monitors, using Firefox to mine data into both Excel and Access, while running SQL queries via C# in Visual Studio and watching a movie on 5.1 surround sound and also allows me to play a myriad of first-person shooters and RPGs with friends/family over the Steam interface and chatting in-game through a wireless headset, then a tablet can replace my computer.

You are right. A tablet can't heat a 2000 sq ft house the way your computer can. Your electric bill might be high, but your heating bill is low.
sscritic
 
Posts: 19514
Joined: 6 Sep 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Epsilon Delta » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Confused wrote:Laughable.

As soon as a tablet allows me to multi-task using dual 20-inch monitors, using Firefox to mine data into both Excel and Access, while running SQL queries via C# in Visual Studio and watching a movie on 5.1 surround sound and also allows me to play a myriad of first-person shooters and RPGs with friends/family over the Steam interface and chatting in-game through a wireless headset, then a tablet can replace my computer.

Why do you use multiple monitors to multi-task? I've always used alt-tab (or ctrl-alt-arrow) to move the tasks under my eyes.
User avatar
Epsilon Delta
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: 28 Apr 2011

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby interplanetjanet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:Why do you use multiple monitors to multi-task? I've always used alt-tab (or ctrl-alt-arrow) to move the tasks under my eyes.

Screen real estate is very useful if you have a lot going on at once, and don't want to keep having to flip back to see if something has finished or reached a certain stage (peripheral vision is good enough). It can also be useful if you have, for instance, a window or several windows up with documentation on a procedure, and other windows where you are actually doing work. Glancing back and forth is generally less destructive to workflow than flipping things back and forth. I've made use of virtual desktops for a long time and while they're very useful, they don't hold a candle to actual additional screen space.

I do find laptops very useful, but their ergonomics are frequently problematic. Having experienced wrist tendon issues in the past makes me put a lot more thought into how I use my hands when entering data.
User avatar
interplanetjanet
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Location: the wilds of central California

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Curlyq » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm keeping an eye on the Samsung Galaxy Note as a possible future mobile phone/tablet. I'm only interested in carrying around one device and would prefer that it works as a phone with some light computing to eliminate the need to carry a laptop.

I have yet to buy a tablet as my old 3 lb. laptop is still working just dandy. I have no desire to do any more computing that I currently do. I probably spend 20-30 hours/week computing for work and try to minimize technology use on my off days. Looking at nature is so much better than a screen, even though I do have large dual screens at home.

One my current mobile phone gets close to the end of its useful life, I'll re-evaluate what's out there.

I did just purchase a nice HP laptop to replace my desktop at home. I did this simply to downsize and simplify as I prepare to move to more modest digs. Perhaps a home laptop and a phablet will be all I need moving forward.
Curlyq
 
Posts: 739
Joined: 8 Jul 2008

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby sscritic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Curlyq wrote:I'm keeping an eye on the Samsung Galaxy Note

I am keeping my eye on that package under my daughter's Christmas tree.

P.S. My four year old granddaughter told me a secret: her mommy is getting an iPad mini for Christmas. She has told everyone the secret except her mommy, who she told that she wasn't getting an iPad mini for Christmas. How's that for keeping a secret.
sscritic
 
Posts: 19514
Joined: 6 Sep 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby protagonist » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 am

The new Windows 8 convertibles are supposed to be everything in one package....computer, tablet....can run apps or any Windows programs....can be used with or without keyboard. How well they handle all these tasks, I don't know. Check them out.
protagonist
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: 26 Dec 2010

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Gargamel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:05 am

matjen wrote:Microsoft Surface is the answer for those who really need the Office Suite PLUS it works as a phone if your company uses Microsoft's Lync technology for voice. The RT version of the Surface is like a traditional tablet with Office built in EXCEPT Outlook/mail is weak. If you wait for the Pro version it will really be like a full blown PC. This is both good and bad. The good is that it will run all of the Microsoft/PC applications. The bad is that it will be pricey and the battery life will likely only be a 5 hours or less. People get used to their 9 hour tablet battery life.


+1. I use an iPad, a Xoom (Android) and several laptops and can't wait for the Windows 8 Pro version of Microsoft Surface to move to just one device. I'd like to simplfy my digital world similar to my investments...however this consolidation comes with a price (short battery life and higher cost) as #matjen mentioned. More on Surface can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-rt/help-me-choose
Gargamel
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Apr 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby pennstater2005 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 am

I hope a tablet can replace my cellphone and I can hold it up to my ear and talk on it. And I'm talking about the big, full size tablets. People would say, that guy is awesome.
"The lack of money is the root of all evil." Mark Twain |
User avatar
pennstater2005
 
Posts: 912
Joined: 11 Apr 2012
Location: In front of a computer.

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby KarlJ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am

The lack of easy multitasking capability on a tablet is a primary reason I would not want to have to rely solely on this device, as is the lack of ability to use the full versions of Quicken and Adobe applications like Photoshop.
User avatar
KarlJ
 
Posts: 342
Joined: 3 Nov 2008

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Browser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 am

KarlJ wrote:The lack of easy multitasking capability on a tablet is a primary reason I would not want to have to rely solely on this device, as is the lack of ability to use the full versions of Quicken and Adobe applications like Photoshop.

I agree. I don't think the Quicken app on tablet is anything like the Quicken software program. In my case, I still use the legacy MS Money program on the laptop and don't want to give it up. I'm also sure about being able to migrate my Excel needs to a tablet app. I have a couple of programmed Excel applications that I regularly use and as far as I know they would require the full Excel program to run. Anyone who wants to keep doing some of the stuff they are now doing on their "real" computer is going to have to do a lot of homeword to determine if they can continue doing this on a tablet and I really doubt it. Now maybe, the new Surface with Win8 Pro will handle that but I'm pretty sure that nothing out there now will. So, these things only qualify as a toy that might let me browse the net, do email, read an ebook, and show my photos but that's about it as far as I can see. I can also do all that with my laptop now, as well as the other stuff too.
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser
 
Posts: 2232
Joined: 5 Sep 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Toons » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am

Browser wrote:
KarlJ wrote:The lack of easy multitasking capability on a tablet is a primary reason I would not want to have to rely solely on this device, as is the lack of ability to use the full versions of Quicken and Adobe applications like Photoshop.

I agree. I don't think the Quicken app on tablet is anything like the Quicken software program. In my case, I still use the legacy MS Money program on the laptop and don't want to give it up. I'm also sure about being able to migrate my Excel needs to a tablet app. I have a couple of programmed Excel applications that I regularly use and as far as I know they would require the full Excel program to run. Anyone who wants to keep doing some of the stuff they are now doing on their "real" computer is going to have to do a lot of homeword to determine if they can continue doing this on a tablet and I really doubt it. Now maybe, the new Surface with Win8 Pro will handle that but I'm pretty sure that nothing out there now will. So, these things only qualify as a toy that might let me browse the net, do email, read an ebook, and show my photos but that's about it as far as I can see. I can also do all that with my laptop now, as well as the other stuff too.


Quicken App syncs with your data in the cloud ,you need to purchase Quicken 2013 to have access to this option

FAQs in link below :happy

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/ ... 84754.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
User avatar
Toons
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby pochax » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am

i tried the tablet+keyboard experiment and it just doesn't quite replace a laptop for me. then i got the new samsung chromebook https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromebook_samsung_wifi and i think i found a winner and an inexpensive one at that ($249 if u can locate one right now - seems sold out almost everywhere).
pochax
 
Posts: 975
Joined: 21 Oct 2008

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Confused » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 am

interplanetjanet wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:Why do you use multiple monitors to multi-task? I've always used alt-tab (or ctrl-alt-arrow) to move the tasks under my eyes.

Screen real estate is very useful if you have a lot going on at once, and don't want to keep having to flip back to see if something has finished or reached a certain stage (peripheral vision is good enough). It can also be useful if you have, for instance, a window or several windows up with documentation on a procedure, and other windows where you are actually doing work. Glancing back and forth is generally less destructive to workflow than flipping things back and forth. I've made use of virtual desktops for a long time and while they're very useful, they don't hold a candle to actual additional screen space.

I do find laptops very useful, but their ergonomics are frequently problematic. Having experienced wrist tendon issues in the past makes me put a lot more thought into how I use my hands when entering data.


This is exactly right. When I'm doing data entry work from a Firefox window into Excel and/or Access, it really, really speeds up my work if I can see all the windows at the same time rather than checking what the a number is in Firefox, remembering the number, hitting ALT+TAB to get to Access, then typing in the number, then ALT+TAB to get back to Firefox. That'd just be ridiculous. And accuracy is much improved if I can see the two or three windows at the same time. Not to mention, if I have enough screen space, I can put a movie in the corner. If money was no object, and my desk was big enough, I'd buy a second video card so I could run a third monitor.

chaz wrote:
Confused wrote:Laughable.

As soon as a tablet allows me to multi-task using dual 20-inch monitors, using Firefox to mine data into both Excel and Access, while running SQL queries via C# in Visual Studio and watching a movie on 5.1 surround sound and also allows me to play a myriad of first-person shooters and RPGs with friends/family over the Steam interface and chatting in-game through a wireless headset, then a tablet can replace my computer.


You are Confused. Clearly a tablet can't do everything yet.


Yeah, but my computer can, so a tablet can't replace it. The only thing a tablet has that my computer doesn't is portability, which I'm not concerned with.
Confused
 
Posts: 406
Joined: 20 Jun 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby campy2010 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 am

I am so confused as to why the media thinks people need to be convinced that a tablet can replace a PC. Sure, it can for some people, but obviously it is not a fully-functional computer or even that great ergonomically to use for long periods of time for the rest of us. But, I just don't understand the point of the argument, it isn't like we are only allowed to buy one PC. Most people will have multiple PCs and use whichever tool is best for the job. Stop trying to convince me that I only need a tablet because you're wasting your breath. The topic is just silly.

As for me, laptop + monitor + docking station is absolutely essential. You will have to strip the full version of Microsoft Excel from my cold, dead hands. A tablet would be nice but is not essential.
User avatar
campy2010
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 28 Nov 2010

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Ryan_in_Chi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:26 am

Tablets are great for content consumption, but poor are efficient content creation.

Tablets are great for playing games and surfing the web. I enjoy mine for surfing in bed before sleep. But that is not the type of WORK I do. A tablet fails at this miserably for the type of WORK I do. Efficiency is a big deal to me. How can a tablet with one finger input be faster / better than a full keyboard and mouse. I'm getting tired of everyone (my boss included) thinking that iPads can replace all of my computers.

The hype around tablets is quickly turning into one of my pet peeves.
Ryan_in_Chi
 
Posts: 54
Joined: 26 Sep 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby chaz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: 27 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby protagonist » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm

[quote="campy2010"] Stop trying to convince me that I only need a tablet because you're wasting your breath. The topic is just silly.

Agreed. But that may change now with Windows 8 and the proliferation of convertible devices which run anything you can run on Windows in tablet or laptop mode. Only time will tell if they fit the bill since they are quite new, but if not, I would expect that some future incarnation (Windows 9?) will.
protagonist
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: 26 Dec 2010

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby The Wizard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Ryan_in_Chi wrote:Tablets are great for content consumption, but poor are efficient content creation.

Tablets are great for playing games and surfing the web. I enjoy mine for surfing in bed before sleep. But that is not the type of WORK I do. A tablet fails at this miserably for the type of WORK I do. Efficiency is a big deal to me. How can a tablet with one finger input be faster / better than a full keyboard and mouse. I'm getting tired of everyone (my boss included) thinking that iPads can replace all of my computers.

The hype around tablets is quickly turning into one of my pet peeves.

My tablet has USB and HDMI output.
I can add keyboards and mice to it, and a 42" display.
What else do you need?
The Wizard
 
Posts: 5531
Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Location: Reading, MA

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam I Am
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: 20 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Sunny Sarkar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm

About a month ago I realized that I had enough DIY computer parts lying around my office that, if I just bought a couple more, I could put together a low cost desktop for my 9 y.o. daughter. I bought a shiny red computer case to match her age, and together we embarked on a weekend project to build a new computer for her. About half way into the project, she suddenly paused and said: "but Daddy, I don't need a computer. I already have my andriod (tablet)". At the end of a brief conversation, I challenged her to think about one thing that she does at school or at home on a PC/laptop that she couldn't do on her andriod - and she thought about it and came up with nothing. That was the day I placed the personal computers as we know it on the endangered species watch.
“Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.” ― Henry David Thoreau
User avatar
Sunny Sarkar
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: 2 Mar 2007
Location: Flower Mound, TX

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby wander » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:20 pm

For some people, a tablet can definitely replace a computer. For working people, It's difficult because many applications are not generic and require to be installed in Windows or Linux ...
User avatar
wander
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: 4 Oct 2008

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby ThatGuy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Sunny Sarkar wrote: At the end of a brief conversation, I challenged her to think about one thing that she does at school or at home on a PC/laptop that she couldn't do on her andriod - and she thought about it and came up with nothing.


I find this hard to believe. How about writing a report? What, she's going to finger tap the entire thing on the screen keyboard? As KyleAAA pointed out above, adding a keyboard makes the tablet just a larger, more expensive, even slower netbook.

How about drawing with any kind of accuracy? Can tablets print yet? I know it's all the rage to insist that the PC is dead, but tablets have a loooooong way to go for the creation of stuff. The user input method just plain sucks at this point.The accuracy of thoses touchscreens is so poor that you need significant space around each distinct icon so the device can even attempt to figure out what you really meant.

Just wait until that 9 year old has to start using Excel for math class. Or worse, gets a 'Learning to Program' class.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
ThatGuy
 
Posts: 636
Joined: 5 Feb 2010

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Orion » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm

If you use your computer like a tablet, then a table can replace it. I've often thought that it was funny that we got computers in most homes, but then they mostly got used as replacements for magazines, newspapers, TVs, and phones. For simpler uses, simpler machines may be as good or better. I like the form factor of tables for casual browsing, but even there I often find annoying limitations in their web browsers. But newer browsers and other apps will probably come along to fix those. The first computer I ran a web browser on in 1993 had 16MB of RAM so I'm pretty sure they will eventually see full-featured web browsers on iPads etc.
User avatar
Orion
 
Posts: 487
Joined: 20 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby chaz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Orion wrote:If you use your computer like a tablet, then a table can replace it. I've often thought that it was funny that we got computers in most homes, but then they mostly got used as replacements for magazines, newspapers, TVs, and phones. For simpler uses, simpler machines may be as good or better. I like the form factor of tables for casual browsing, but even there I often find annoying limitations in their web browsers. But newer browsers and other apps will probably come along to fix those. The first computer I ran a web browser on in 1993 had 16MB of RAM so I'm pretty sure they will eventually see full-featured web browsers on iPads etc.

Is safari on an iPad full-featured?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: 27 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby roymeo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Confused wrote:Laughable.

As soon as a tablet allows me to multi-task using dual 20-inch monitors, using Firefox to mine data into both Excel and Access, while running SQL queries via C# in Visual Studio and watching a movie on 5.1 surround sound and also allows me to play a myriad of first-person shooters and RPGs with friends/family over the Steam interface and chatting in-game through a wireless headset, then a tablet can replace my computer.


Check out the high-end Win8 Intel (not ARM) tablets. Heck, even the Samsung Slate 7 running Win7 we purchased for Win8 development in April had a better processor in it than most the Macbooks in the office.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
User avatar
roymeo
 
Posts: 909
Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Location: SF, CA

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Orion » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm

chaz wrote:Is safari on an iPad full-featured?


I'm not a Safari expert but from memory, Safari on the iPad is (or was last time I looked) missing flash, the ability to chose fonts and sizes, doesn't save pages for off-line reading - which is a shame because this would make for a great in-flight browser. There were some other things as well. After not being able to figure out a few things after playing with an iPad or reading the manual, I googled around and kept running people asking similar questions and being told nope/not yet. Though there were some 3rd party apps to fix some of the issues and kludges were said to not always work for others. I also remember finding the settings page and being surprised at just how few settings there were.

Still, I don't think it's awful or anything. There is a very high likelihood of me getting one in the near future for "recliner browsing".
User avatar
Orion
 
Posts: 487
Joined: 20 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby mike143 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Orion wrote:
chaz wrote:Is safari on an iPad full-featured?


I'm not a Safari expert but from memory, Safari on the iPad is (or was last time I looked) missing flash,

Apple is more of a take it or leave it company. For those that are not tech savvy this is fine. Flash is on its way out due to HTML5 but its not dead yet. I would rather visit the websites the way I am use to on a "computer" and not have limitations. I just procured a Nexus 7 and with Firefox BETA I can use flash enabled websites. This is the reason I enjoy the more open Android OS. Apple wishes to pound you into submission and most people are ok with this. Nothing against Apple, I feel Microsoft is doing the same thing with Windows 8/Server 2012.
Nothing is free, someone pays.
User avatar
mike143
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: 2 Feb 2012

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby gd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:49 am

iPads make great internet/computer appliances for my elderly father and technophobe spouse. With an add-on keypad, they'd be done. If Apple could match Google Voice, maybe not even that (Google Voice is to Apple Dictation/Siri what Google Maps is to Apple Maps, by the way. Try it.) An appliance is something you buy, take out of the box, and use as is. Maybe you read the instructions, maybe you don't. If you want it to do something else, you live with it or buy another model. Home entertainment equipment, televisions, microwaves, clock/radios, printers, refrigerators, stoves, automobiles, lawnmowers, Apple devices. I commend Steve Jobs for being the first to hit the sweet spot of technology and infrastructure to make the computer appliance the average person needed about 15 years ago. In 5-10 years, PC-style computers will return to the domain of hobbyists where they were 20 years ago.

For me, not so much. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to type some receipts into Quicken 2004 and run my python programs to convert/plot my downloaded csv beehive temperature data.
gd
 
Posts: 553
Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Location: MA, USA

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby ohiost90 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:49 am

Sam I Am wrote:If I can't recover my PC, I'll have to re-burn all my music to another player on another platform. The music files are about 25GB, not a small amount.

Sam I Am


You may not have to do that. If the HD isn't bricked, you can simply take the HD out of the that computer and either install into a new computer or use an external HD enclosure.
ohiost90
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 11 Apr 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby protagonist » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I-pads make great serving trays, for bringing your coffee to your desk while you are working on your computer.
protagonist
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: 26 Dec 2010

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby abuss368 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:22 pm

I think it comes down to what the end users needs are. Presently it is a little difficult to totally replace a computer or laptop.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
User avatar
abuss368
 
Posts: 5691
Joined: 3 Aug 2009
Location: At the Beach

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am
 
Posts: 2063
Joined: 20 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Mel Lindauer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Ryan_in_Chi wrote:Tablets are great for content consumption, but poor are efficient content creation.

Tablets are great for playing games and surfing the web. I enjoy mine for surfing in bed before sleep. But that is not the type of WORK I do. A tablet fails at this miserably for the type of WORK I do. Efficiency is a big deal to me. How can a tablet with one finger input be faster / better than a full keyboard and mouse. I'm getting tired of everyone (my boss included) thinking that iPads can replace all of my computers.

The hype around tablets is quickly turning into one of my pet peeves.

My tablet has USB and HDMI output.
I can add keyboards and mice to it, and a 42" display.
What else do you need?


Bluetooth keyboards work just fine with most tablets when you need a real keyboard for heavier work. I've got one BT kb that works with both my iPad and Android tablets.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
 
Posts: 21161
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby Orion » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 pm

mike143 wrote:I just procured a Nexus 7 and with Firefox BETA I can use flash enabled websites. This is the reason I enjoy the more open Android OS.


I played with several Android tablets today. The Asus TF700T is pretty nice, with a display almost as good as the iPad. It also fixed many of my ipad/safari annoyances: I could easily save web pages for off-line viewing and set a minimum font size in the browser (Chrome I think). However, it came with some annoyances of it's own - like actually getting that minimum font size slider to move was troublesome. It sometimes interpreted my gestures as things other than moving the slider. Even selecting a link in a google search was kind of hit or miss. A friend of mine with an Android phone has those issues plus more. Recently we were driving and using its GPS and it alerted us that the battery was critically low. So he turned it off. 30 seconds later it turned itself back on to tell us the battery was critically low. repeat.... repeat.... All this was going on while it was plugged into his car and allegedly charging.

I'm tempted though...
User avatar
Orion
 
Posts: 487
Joined: 20 Feb 2007

Re: A tablet can replace a computer

Postby roymeo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Some older Android devices do turn themselves on when plugged in, I haven't seen any of the newer ones do that.

You can definitely be pulling more power than is coming in when doing GPS+CellData to pull down map info....in that case I'd def make sure the screen brightness is NOT set to automatic (which burns power to detect the ambient lighting conditions) and turned down (to decrease battery use). The display at 50% can still be over 1/2 the power draw on devices.

Besides screen brightness itself: "white pixels are really expensive". (Not literally just white, but the further from black, the more expensive.) We ran some battery drain tests with different devices and screen types (LCD, LED) and found more drain on an all-white, blank HTML page doing nothing than playing back a 720p YouTube video with Flash in the browser (randomly selected video such as "Where the Hell is Matt?", no specific intent to choose something mostly dark). IIRC For just a white-vs-black blank HTML page the battery drain was worse on LED (~60% more drain) than LCD (which uses a backlight for all pixels so it 'shouldn't make any difference' but still saw a ~30% increase in battery use).

I use a dark 'theme' for my phone UI and any frequently used App UI's where I have a choice, and keep my bg image very dark.

Bogleheads should know that white pixels are like high-cost actively managed mutual funds with a high turnover rate and heavy load. Or just "white pixels are expensive".

roymeo
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
User avatar
roymeo
 
Posts: 909
Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Location: SF, CA

Next

Return to Personal Consumer Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arkerr123, Desert, Google [Bot], hicabob, jainn, jimmyq, lightheir, pennstater2005 and 40 guests