GasBuddy.com

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Firewood42

GasBuddy.com

Post by Firewood42 »

Just discovered GasBuddy.com It looks like I can save a lot of money using this site, especially since I drive a lot across state and also interstate a couple of times a year. Also my truck has a 36 gallon fuel tank which means a 700 mile cruising range.

Anybody else use this site and have any good suggestions.
Mel Lindauer

Re: GasBuddy.com

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Firewood42 wrote:Just discovered GasBuddy.com It looks like I can save a lot of money using this site, especially since I drive a lot across state and also interstate a couple of times a year. Also my truck has a 36 gallon fuel tank which means a 700 mile cruising range.

Anybody else use this site and have any good suggestions.
I've been using it for some time and I report prices when I pass stations (when I'm safely stopped, of course). You earn 150 points for each price you report (normally three per station) up to a max of 750 points per day. Those points earn you tickets in the weekly drawings for $250 worth of gas. It's a win/win for everyone, since reporting keeps the pricing current.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I've used it on occasion, but I keep forgetting to check it as much as I should. Prices in my area usually don't vary by enough to justify driving the extra miles to get to the cheapest station. But I do go the extra miles to get to the Kroger station when I get 400-500 points on my card.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
chaz

Post by chaz »

cheese_breath wrote:I've used it on occasion, but I keep forgetting to check it as much as I should. Prices in my area usually don't vary by enough to justify driving the extra miles to get to the cheapest station. But I do go the extra miles to get to the Kroger station when I get 400-500 points on my card.
The Kroger card is good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

With the recent volatility, prices in our area have varied by 15-25 cents per gallon on many occasions.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Gary

Post by Gary »

The GasBuddy Iphone & Ipad apps are really useful. I use them all the time.

Finding the cheapest gas in your area is something that should appeal to all Bogleheads.

Highly recommended.

--Gary
Ace1

Post by Ace1 »

I have used Gas Buddy, but did not know about the points ... Will check into that.
I have used the msn auto gas prices site/map more however. The interactive map allows the user to
drag the map and the prices move accordingly. This is most helpful if you are traveling some distance and
wish to plan your fuel stops ... Or at least get an idea of prices along the route.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I use GasBuddy app sometimes. But in my area, I already know the cheapest station. I think it's a great app.

It's great if I'm driving through a new city. I of course don't go too far out of the way to save a few pennies. But it is nice to know the area's price range.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Gasbuddy app and PenFed 5% off gas card together for the win. Also knowing which stations charge a premium for using credit cards goes a long way. Luckily in my small town (44k) the lowest price stations are always the same. If I am going to Orlando, 30 minutes away, I check to see if I should get gas near home or in Orlando.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Here is a little formula to compute the break even point to decide whether to drive out of your way for cheaper gas: d < stm/p, where d= round trip distance, s=savings/gal, t=amount of gas you will be purchasing, m=gas mileage of car, p=price of gas. Essentially, the ratio of distance traveled to distance one could travel on the gas purchased should be less than the percentage that you are saving on the gas. So, for a vehicle that gets 30 mpg, 10 gal fill-up, gas=$4.00/gal, savings = $0.10 -> round trip distance < 7.5 miles.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

rkhusky wrote:Here is a little formula to compute the break even point to decide whether to drive out of your way for cheaper gas: d < stm/p, where d= round trip distance, s=savings/gal, t=amount of gas you will be purchasing, m=gas mileage of car, p=price of gas. Essentially, the ratio of distance traveled to distance one could travel on the gas purchased should be less than the percentage that you are saving on the gas. So, for a vehicle that gets 30 mpg, 10 gal fill-up, gas=$4.00/gal, savings = $0.10 -> round trip distance < 7.5 miles.
You left out the emotional bonus from beating the price your friends pay. I would pay an extra 5 cents a gallon in travel just to tell my friends I paid 2 cents less than they did. That alone is worth 4 cents a gallon, and so the extra mileage is a bargain (4 + 2 is greater than 5; or 4 is greater than 5 - 2, however you like to think).
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

sscritic wrote:
rkhusky wrote:Here is a little formula to compute the break even point to decide whether to drive out of your way for cheaper gas: d < stm/p, where d= round trip distance, s=savings/gal, t=amount of gas you will be purchasing, m=gas mileage of car, p=price of gas. Essentially, the ratio of distance traveled to distance one could travel on the gas purchased should be less than the percentage that you are saving on the gas. So, for a vehicle that gets 30 mpg, 10 gal fill-up, gas=$4.00/gal, savings = $0.10 -> round trip distance < 7.5 miles.
You left out the emotional bonus from beating the price your friends pay. I would pay an extra 5 cents a gallon in travel just to tell my friends I paid 2 cents less than they did. That alone is worth 4 cents a gallon, and so the extra mileage is a bargain (4 + 2 is greater than 5; or 4 is greater than 5 - 2, however you like to think).
Yes. My wife and mother-law engage in competitive couponing. They love to brag about getting a can of beans for $0.10 using double coupons and a store sale, even if it means using $2.00 in gas to get to a particular store.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

Gasbuddy is a great resource. Just wish they showed Cash vs Credit prices since this makes a difference especially with cash back reward cards. The dual pricing is pretty common in my area.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Isn't funny how people go through so much trouble and effort to find the cheapest price for gas, but seldom do that for other things? What is it about gas that spurs this sort of behavior?

I wonder how many folks drive out of their way to some Quik-E-Mart to save 5 cents a gallon on gas and then pick up some overpriced bread and milk while they're there. :oops:

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Second the recommendation for the GasBuddy app on the smartphone. Saves a lot while travelling away from home and the iPhone app links to Google maps to tell you how to drive to the cheapest station.
fareastwarriors

JupiterJones wrote:Isn't funny how people go through so much trouble and effort to find the cheapest price for gas, but seldom do that for other things? What is it about gas that spurs this sort of behavior?

I wonder how many folks drive out of their way to some Quik-E-Mart to save 5 cents a gallon on gas and then pick up some overpriced bread and milk while they're there. :oops:

JJ

I'm actually still surprised people buy groceries at a gas station or convenience store...I see it sometimes it shocks me... Supermarkets are everywhere...I got 5 or 6 major supermarkets within a 10min drive radius. There are 2 Wal-Marts and a Costco within 15m drive. There is so much retail everywhere. it is like we just work and shop... ok rant over.

Maybe I don't live in a rural area? Or maybe I don't have kids so I can wait for another time to get milk/bread?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dickenjb wrote:Second the recommendation for the GasBuddy app on the smartphone. Saves a lot while travelling away from home and the iPhone app links to Google maps to tell you how to drive to the cheapest station.
I thought Google Maps was no longer on the iPhones.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
fareastwarriors

jebmke wrote:
dickenjb wrote:Second the recommendation for the GasBuddy app on the smartphone. Saves a lot while travelling away from home and the iPhone app links to Google maps to tell you how to drive to the cheapest station.
Couldn't you just go to the google maps site?
I don''t have an iphone so I could be totally wrong.
:oops:
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

sscritic wrote: You left out the emotional bonus from beating the price your friends pay. I would pay an extra 5 cents a gallon in travel just to tell my friends I paid 2 cents less than they did. That alone is worth 4 cents a gallon, and so the extra mileage is a bargain (4 + 2 is greater than 5; or 4 is greater than 5 - 2, however you like to think).
Why not just tell them you paid less? I mean, it's not like they can analyze the gas in your car and be able to tell where it's from.

And to make this money related... My hedge fund guy has been beating the S&P over the last 15 yrs by at least 27.4% per year. Honest. No, really.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
fareastwarriors

Jerilynn wrote:
sscritic wrote: You left out the emotional bonus from beating the price your friends pay. I would pay an extra 5 cents a gallon in travel just to tell my friends I paid 2 cents less than they did. That alone is worth 4 cents a gallon, and so the extra mileage is a bargain (4 + 2 is greater than 5; or 4 is greater than 5 - 2, however you like to think).
Why not just tell them you paid less? I mean, it's not like they can analyze the gas in your car and be able to tell where it's from.

And to make this money related... My hedge fund guy has been beating the S&P over the last 15 yrs by at least 27.4% per year. Honest. No, really.

Where do I send my $10 million check?
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

fareastwarriors wrote:
I'm actually still surprised people buy groceries at a gas station or convenience store...I see it sometimes it shocks me... Supermarkets are everywhere...I got 5 or 6 major supermarkets within a 10min drive radius. There are 2 Wal-Marts and a Costco within 15m drive. There is so much retail everywhere. it is like we just work and shop... ok rant over.

Maybe I don't live in a rural area? Or maybe I don't have kids so I can wait for another time to get milk/bread?
The devil is in the details, to wit:

Let's say you are in the middle of making mac & cheese for your very hungry teen aged sons. And then....Oh, no! You are out of milk.

You can
A. Drive the 1.5 minutes to the convenience store, pay extra and be home before they eat all the dog food. or
B. Drive the 15 minutes to Wal-mart, go all the way to the back of the store, get the milk walk up to the cashier, wait in line for 10 minutes and go home. [and as long as you are there, you probably need to pick up more dog food.]
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

fareastwarriors wrote:
jebmke wrote:
Sure, but aren't some apps integrated to the resident mapping app?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

jebmke wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:
jebmke wrote:
I have not upgraded to iOS6 so I still have Google maps.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

jebmke wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:
jebmke wrote:
I have not upgraded to iOS6 so I still have Google maps.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Gasbuddy has its own map.* No need for google vs apple. And yes you can drag it.

* right at the top: list map
Tap map and the list goes away. Tap list and the map goes away.

P.S. When I am looking at a map, I don't need someone to tell me how to get to a station on the map. That's what a map is for, to tell you where stuff is.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Jerilynn wrote: Why not just tell them you paid less?
I am congenitally not a congenital liar. The psychic cost of lying would be much greater than the gain from telling my buddies about the "cheap" gas I bought.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

sscritic wrote:
Jerilynn wrote: Why not just tell them you paid less?
I am congenitally not a congenital liar. The psychic cost of lying would be much greater than the gain from telling my buddies about the "cheap" gas I bought.
How do I know the above statement is truthful? Frankly, I don't believe you. :P