Moving with a pet by airplane

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
paulsiu

Moving with a pet by airplane

Post by paulsiu »

Sometime next month, my mom is going to get on an airplane with my sister and permanently moving to CA. She has a 9 year old cat that's 12 lbs. How does one travel with a cat? From what I have been told, you need to get a carrier that fits underneath the seat. The flight is likely to be around 5-6 hours, so that's a pretty long time to be stuck in a tiny cage. Wouldn't the cat pee or poo while in the cage? How do you keep him hydrated?

Paul
livesoft

Re: Moving with a pet by airplane

Post by livesoft »

Talk to the airline because they have different "rules". They even probably have the info on their web site.

I don't know about cats, but my dog can go more than 8 hours without eliminating waste.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Birdie55

Post by Birdie55 »

I moved with my cat a few years ago. I bought a small travel crate that fit under the seat on the plane. My experience was that you need to register the pet with the airline when you buy the ticket because they only allow so many pets in the cabin. The crates have a small water and food bowl that attach to the bars. I just gave my cat a little water and a few pieces of dried food while in flight, but mostly he slept. I did sedate him after checking with my vet. I think it was Chlortrimeton but I forget the dose.

If she is moving to a different state, you need to get a vet certificate so the new state will accept your pet. She has her current vet do the pet physical and complete the form. And have it ready to show the airline.

It's a good idea to check on the air carriers website, though I ended up phoning and asking some questions before booking my flight. Good luck on the move.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Wife and I flew across country with two cats who were older than that (CA to DC) and they did not pee or poo. We did the carriers under the seat and it was tight for one of them but it worked. Much better than underneath the plane. It worked out fine but you may have to take them out of the cage at security and walk holding them through the metal detector (that was the real challenge of the trip). I don't know what they would do today with the radiation scanners. The idiot security folks (sorry TSA but that is what they were) wanted us to put cat and carrier through the x-ray. We did not sedate. My mom brought a cat back from the UK and you cannot take them on board international flights so on the advice of a BA baggage guy that cat was sent via a freight flight. Supposedly freight flights are better than going underneath the passenger compartment. I don't know what heck that cat went through (it was a two day ordeal) but she spent the first few days behind the book case at my parents house.
Last edited by THY4373 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

OK Ms G's gig is up when she flew with our cat, she said the airlines said she had to fly first class. A ploy to get some free drinks I guess.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Others have already given good tips for airline travel. As THY4373 mentioned, airports require the cat be taken out of the carrier at the security screening, so make sure to have plans for that. Sedation might be the best way to take a nervous cat through security (or the cat could get loose, which has happened at many airports since the new security screening rules went into effect). As for hydration, cats often go 8+ hours without food and water before surgery, with no ill effects.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Grasshopper wrote:OK Ms G's gig is up when she flew with our cat, she said the airlines said she had to fly first class. A ploy to get some free drinks I guess.
Ha ha you might be right that said my wife and I got all kinds of conflicting guidance when calling both the airlines and the TSA (about what would be required at the security checkpoint) in advance. So my other advice is to expect the unexpected no matter what you are told in advance. So it is possible Ms. G was told she needed a first class ticket. After talking the airlines for our cat move nothing would surprise me.
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

HI I do not have a pet but I have friends with a 15 LB Shiba Inu, and the dog has been in 18 trips in 3 years. They take her in a carrier in the cabin under the seat usually flying American. There is a LB limit on the pet. Get there early so you get a "pet" spot on the plane. And she licks ice cubes during the flight. Has totally been easy. And this is flying in the cabin, not first class. All the airlines differ on pet policies. Hope that helps Here I found it...http://www.tokyoshiba.com/2011/12/flyin ... skies.html
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

We moved cross country with our two cats. They cried all the way to the airport and all the way to the security checkpoint, pleading to be let out. Then we were told to take them out of the carriers and walk through security. (This was before 9/11, FYI.) The only trouble I had holding onto one was once she saw the carrier at the other end, because she was so eager to get out of my arms and back into her safe place. And they never made another sound for the rest of the trip.

I recommend using a soft sided carrier. We took off our shoes on the plane and tucked our feet under the carriers so the cats could lean against them for reassurance. The underside of a seat is the best place for them - it's where they would hide if given a choice.
Topic Author
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Thank you for your input, I have some follow up questions.

1. It's mentioned that we should register with the airline that you are traveling with a pet ahead of time.Can one do this immediately when the ticket is purchased or do we have to do it when we select the seat?

2. There's a mention of a vet certificate. How long do these certificates last? Basically, if the cat gets a certificate now, would the certificate work a month later?

3. How do you sedate a cat, is it safe? This is so the cat won't flip out and run off when going through a TSA checkpoint?

Paul
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

FWIW, when I moved from East Coast to SF with my cats, I got advice from my vet and a moving company specializing in pets to have them underneath the cabin since they could be in a larger carrier. They also both counseled AGAINST sedation since it can lead to dehydration. That said be very careful with travel in summer/hot months.

(they did recommend sedation for me though :shock: )
Birdie55

Post by Birdie55 »

1. It's mentioned that we should register with the airline that you are traveling with a pet ahead of time.Can one do this immediately when the ticket is purchased or do we have to do it when we select the seat?

Before I booked my flight, I double checked with the carrier to ensure there was space for my cat. Then I booked both of us at once. I did this on the phone because I didn't want to book my flight and then find out there was no room for my cat.

2. There's a mention of a vet certificate. How long do these certificates last? Basically, if the cat gets a certificate now, would the certificate work a month later?

The form I had was good for 30 days from issuance. It is called 'Official certification of veterinary inspection for interstate movement of dogs, cats and other non-livestock species'.

3. How do you sedate a cat, is it safe? This is so the cat won't flip out and run off when going through a TSA checkpoint?

My vet prescribed chlortrimeton which is an over the counter allergy medication for humans. He gave me the prescribed dosage which I tucked into a bit of canned cat food and gave to my cat. If you've ever given a cat a pill you know how to do it. Wrap them in a towel and hold their mouth shut until they swallow. They don't like it.

If Mom is moving during warm weather, the weather can be a factor if she is going to check the cat into baggage. Flying the cat in the cabin is not a concern, it's only if you check them. I had an empty water bottle that I filled so I could dribble water into my cats bowl. He mostly slept anyway...they can spend a whole day asleep without any problems.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

JamesSFO wrote:FWIW, when I moved from East Coast to SF with my cats, I got advice from my vet and a moving company specializing in pets to have them underneath the cabin since they could be in a larger carrier. They also both counseled AGAINST sedation since it can lead to dehydration. That said be very careful with travel in summer/hot months.

(they did recommend sedation for me though :shock: )
My vet also advised against sedation for exactly the same reason. Also I will say that the advice I got on whether to take them in the cabin or underneath was the complete opposite of yours. In my case this was from the vet and the airline folks I spoke too. Also when my mother was transferring a cat internationally where the cabin was not an option the British Airways cargo person she spoke to strongly advised that a dedicated cargo flight would be better than going underneath in the hold of a passenger flight. I don't recall the details now but I think it had to do with climate control and the fact that the hold on regular passenger flights had either no or not well controlled climate control (where the dedicated cargo planes did). That said I agree the under seat carriers are small if you have a big kitty it is going to be real tight for them.
Topic Author
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

I checked a few airline, but regulation appears to vary from airline to airline, so I am thinking:

* Make a reservation with the airline that you will have a cat, there may be extra charges. Cat counts as a carry-on
* Get a airline approved carrier that fits underneath the seat.
* Take the cat to the Vet within 30 days to get a certificate of health.
* Get some sort of cat leash and restraint so she can't run away during check-in (any recommendations? I only leashed dogs in the past)
* Bring some water or food for the cat.
* No sedation since there's some concern for safety.

I'll talk with the airline to make sure there is nothing else.

I like to thank everyone for their help so far.

Paul
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

paulsiu wrote:* Get some sort of cat leash and restraint so she can't run away during check-in (any recommendations? I only leashed dogs in the past)
Get an appropriately sized cat harness, which looks pretty much like a dog harness. Collars do not work to restrain cats because they can slip out of collars so easily and they can damage their throat by struggling against a leash attached to the collar. Make sure the cat harness is fitted snugly around the body, with a two finger looseness around the neck. You may need to measure the cat's body behind the front legs to get an accurate fit, since the harnesses come in a few sizes.

There are a ton of different harness designs out there. I personally dislike the "figure-8" cat harnesses where both the neck loop and body loop are attached to the leash line, as I think that puts too much pressure on the cat's throat. I prefer the harnesses that have the leash line attached to the body loop, and then a short piece of material attaches the neck loop to the leash loop. Also, get the cat used to wearing one now so it doesn't freak out when the harness is put on it on travel day.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Our vet also recommended against the sedative. The other reason to avoid sedation is because the unfamiliar sensation can actually increase their anxiety and make it harder for them to cope with the bad situation. I know of a cat who kept up an unpleasant and very un-cat-like moaning for the entire flight, and the owner blamed the sedative.
Topic Author
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Looking at some collar design online, a cat harness look like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3951234

Online source indicate leather may be too bulky and stay with nylon or cotton. Perhaps cotton would be a better choice since it appears to make some cats itch. As Mudpuppy mentioned, the leash ring shouldn't be around the neck. I also notice this design that looks like a sweater.

http://www.kittyholster.com/

My mom may find it cute, but I am not sure cats like to wear sweaters.

Maybe as usual, I am over-thinking this. Just get a decent one and get the cat use to wearing it now.

Paul
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I personally prefer a cat harness with old-fashioned buckles instead of snaps. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the ability for a snap to hold against a scared cat and I'd be concerned that the adjustable straps might slip during use and become unsecured. But it would probably be rather hard to find a fixed length strap with buckles these days, since the whole pet industry seems to have turned to snaps and adjustable straps instead. I'd also avoid the sweater designs in an airplane environment. It would take longer for the cat to adjust to the sweater design and it might interfere with body temperature regulation during the flight.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

paulsiu wrote:I checked a few airline, but regulation appears to vary from airline to airline, so I am thinking:

* Make a reservation with the airline that you will have a cat, there may be extra charges. Cat counts as a carry-on
* Get a airline approved carrier that fits underneath the seat.
* Take the cat to the Vet within 30 days to get a certificate of health.
* Get some sort of cat leash and restraint so she can't run away during check-in (any recommendations? I only leashed dogs in the past)
* Bring some water or food for the cat.
* No sedation since there's some concern for safety.

I'll talk with the airline to make sure there is nothing else.

I like to thank everyone for their help so far.

Paul
Kitty is unlikely to accept food during this trip, nor will she need it on a 5-6 hr flight. She will quite likely refuse water as well, though of course you'll need to provide it. Cats will go into a full system shutdown mode under stress, and once they're tucked into a dark hiding place they just try to wait it out. Avoid layovers if you can.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I flew 2 kitties from the UK to Southern Europe in the cabin with me. Each of my 2 had half a valium before they travelled. They were in airline approved hard cases and thankfully they were on a seat each either side of me. They were so subdued I was able to open the cases to stroke and reassure them. No food, no water, no pooping/peeing. All told, it was as stressful as hell and I would not relish doing it ever again. Make sure you speak to the airline/s ahead of booking tickets to be doubly and triple clear on their requirements and check with you vet on the time frames involved for getting any required paperwork/jabs/certificates etc.
Topic Author
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

I will speak to the airline, but so far it appears that a Official certification of veterinary inspection is not needed for Cats entering CA. As far as I can tell, there isn't one for leaving PA and the airline appears not to require it either for in-cabin. It maybe useful to bring copies of rabies vaccination.

Paul
robocop

Post by robocop »

I have flown with my kitties 3 times cross country (my poor cats).

I have both sedated them and foregone the sedation. From my experience, I think the medication actually stressed them out more because they were unfamiliar with how they were feeling. It didn't make them go to sleep, so imagine being really tired from medicine AND being really stressed out, but not being able to sleep.

My kitties have never eaten, drank, or gone to the bathroom while on a flight. However, one did get a little motion sickness on one flight. Thankfully, I had a puppy pad (can be bought at pretty much any local pet store) underneath on every trip just in case they had to go to the bathroom. That helped with keeping the carrier clean, but unfortunately it was still quite the struggle to clean kitty up at the baby changing station in the bathroom. Not to mention I actually was scolded by someone with a baby for making her wait 5 minutes to use it.

My kitties also had to be up to date on certain shots (rabies, and I can't remember what else) in order to get the certificate. While most owners probably already have this, those who only have indoor animals may not and should remember that this will likely have to get done.

Neither of them made a peep during any of the flights they were on, and I have very vocal cats. I think they were so stressed from the engine noises that they just wanted to hide.

I also have a soft-sided carrier, which was really helpful because some airlines have smaller space underneath the seats than others.

Finally, unless you have a large animal, it is much safer to keep them in the cabin, as there is an alarming amount of pet deaths when they are kept in the cargo area. The cargo area has much larger temperature swings (not to mention loading, which can occur in sub-freezing temps), has poor air circulation, and can lose pressure. Plus, if your animal is having issues and is in the cargo area, you can't notice anything and try to fix it, but if they are with you, hopefully you will spot it and prevent something bad from happening.
Topic Author
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

I ran into a snag. The airline indicated the container must be 17x16x8. Most of the containers are 19 inch. I looked online and found some carrier, but some of them have a weight limit of 6 pounds. What cat or dog is only 6 lbs?

Paul
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

paulsiu wrote:I ran into a snag. The airline indicated the container must be 17x16x8. Most of the containers are 19 inch. I looked online and found some carrier, but some of them have a weight limit of 6 pounds. What cat or dog is only 6 lbs?
There are soft-sided carriers in that size which should hold your average cat depending on brand. And the soft-sided ones can sometimes go a bit bigger and still be acceptable. Key thing is to look for an airline approved pet carrier that is close to that size and then check with the airline.
alanwbaker

Post by alanwbaker »

Hi paulsiu,

My cat travels coast to coast twice a year with stopovers--over 20 flights so far. My suggestions:

[*] You can register the cat with the airline anytime before the flight, but sooner is better because there is a maximum number of in-cabin pets per flight. Airline charges vary widely.
[*] I get vet certificates annually but no airline has ever asked for one. Including 5 trips to California.
[*] The cat will refuse food and water during the trip. Stop the food and water 24 hours before departure.
[*] Do NOT put the cat into cargo. The under-seat space is different on every flight so a soft-sided carrier is essential.
[*] Do NOT allow the TSA to put the cat through the Xray machine. It is not intended for animals.
[*] Do NOT sedate the cat. I tried it and it only makes the cat more stressed. Calming treats help, but if it's the cat's first flight it may poo anyway. Take pads or towels.

Alan