What kind of car are you driving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
travellight

Re: What kind of car are you driving?

Post by travellight »

Why did you sell the GTR, Jwalker?!!! Love that car.
kamo

Post by kamo »

2008 Prius bought in 2011 with 22K miles. Now at 42K. We both love it both for its carbon footprint and stealth mode.
He who knows he has enough is rich. Lao-Tzu
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

me-05 Honda Accord 100k
Wife-08 Nissan Rogue 75k
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
DFWinvestor

Post by DFWinvestor »

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid for me, mileage 75K. Bought it in March '08, they released the '09 way early.

Wife--Mercedes ML 350, 2008 model, 45K miles. I gave her the choice of a used luxury car or brand new car of comparable price (Nissan Murano or similar Toyota/Honda etc). She chose the used Mercedes. Still looks brand new and she doesn't drive very much. Works five minutes from home. This was the first car I ever paid for in cash and my goal is to pay for vehicles in cash from now on.

In a few years I may shell out a good chunk of change on the Tesla Model S, or the Model X when it comes out in 2014. I am not a "car person" but the Camry has started to feel a bit mundane. I've been driving a Toyota Camry for the past 12 years, two different ones both of which were the same color both interior and exterior.

The Tesla may just be the right combination of luxury, performance, and environmentally friendly to suit my tastes. If I ever spend big money on a vehicle it will probably be the Tesla.
davebo

Post by davebo »

Me: 2007 Honda Accord with 85K miles
Wife: 2011 Honda Odessey with 20K miles
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

Fallible wrote:[...]Your mention of the baffles and “varoooom” reminded me of a time many years ago when the boyfriend of one of my college roommates came to pick her up in his newish Corvette. He backed it up to a building and said, “Listen to this.” He gunned the engine and we heard this incredible roar. “Hear that?” he asked us. Knowing nothing about sports cars or cars at all, we said what an awful sound that was and asked him what was wrong with the car. With a disgusted look, he told us it was supposed to sound that way. (I can’t remember if they broke up after that.)

Happy trails.
I am sure he had the choice - gf or car! ;-)

- Porcupine
jdb

Post by jdb »

by DFWinvestor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:37 pm [quote][/quote]

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid for me, mileage 75K. Bought it in March '08, they released the '09 way early.

Wife--Mercedes ML 350, 2008 model, 45K miles. I gave her the choice of a used luxury car or brand new car of comparable price (Nissan Murano or similar Toyota/Honda etc). She chose the used Mercedes. Still looks brand new and she doesn't drive very much. Works five minutes from home. This was the first car I ever paid for in cash and my goal is to pay for vehicles in cash from now on.

In a few years I may shell out a good chunk of change on the Tesla Model S, or the Model X when it comes out in 2014. I am not a "car person" but the Camry has started to feel a bit mundane. I've been driving a Toyota Camry for the past 12 years, two different ones both of which were the same color both interior and exterior.

The Tesla may just be the right combination of luxury, performance, and environmentally friendly to suit my tastes. If I ever spend big money on a vehicle it will probably be the Tesla.

Hi DFWInvestor. New forum participant here. Though a lurker for many years, who learned much from this site and thanks all participants. Just got confirmed for delivery of Tesla Model S Signature performance for week before Christmas. Going to go electric, trading in 2010 Volvo XC60, wife keeping 2009 Lexus. Also have reservation for Tesla Model X in 2014. It is the future of cars in my opinion and suggest to go for it. Great company and buying American. Great car reviews. $7,500 tax credit a bonus. Cheers.
Last edited by jdb on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I like older cars with a lot of character. My DD is an 1985 Mercedes and just hit 325K recently.I have been waiting for it to die the last couple of years but it just keeps going and I enjoy driving it. :happy
tarheal93

Post by tarheal93 »

2008 Acura TL with 120,000 miles (plan to keep till 200,000 miles or greater if possible)
thomase

Post by thomase »

Me: '97 Honda Accord & '01 Toyota Tundra, spouse: '04 Infiniti G35. All are daily drivers and very reliable cars.

Went out to lunch with co-workers recently, talking about cars, and found only one person driving a car older than 10 years. Also overheard a conversation where one was saying they finally gave up on their Land Rover Discovery after the latest breakdown, and said in effect, oh well it was already pretty old, 7 years. I about choked on my coffee, I still consider a 7 year old for a car is as being new!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

It would be interesting if somebody went through this thread, broke it down into a chart by age of vehicle and number of owners (not volunteering....hehehe). I wonder if the distribution of posters here would differ significantly from that of the general population.
hcrossing

Post by hcrossing »

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG - 68,000
2009 Tahoe on 22's - 57,000
iceman99

Post by iceman99 »

Jwalker678 wrote:2010 Lexus rx 450H, 40k miles. I traded a 2009 Nissan GTR which is Nissan's super car and the extreme opposite of the Lexus My son still has not forgiven me for selling the GTR.
1994 Toyota Supra, 135k miles bought 1997. Rediculouslt fast and fun to drive even after all the years.
I wouldn't forgive you either...
LH

Post by LH »

2000 nissan maxima
Rampage86

Post by Rampage86 »

2007 Honda Civic Si
DFWinvestor

Post by DFWinvestor »

jdb wrote:Re: What kind of car are you driving?
by DFWinvestor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi DFWInvestor. New forum participant here. Though a lurker for many years, who learned much from this site and thanks all participants. Just got confirmed for delivery of Tesla Model S Signature performance for week before Christmas. Going to go electric, trading in 2010 Volvo XC60, wife keeping 2009 Lexus. Also have reservation for Tesla Model X in 2014. It is the future of cars in my opinion and suggest to go for it. Great company and buying American. Great car reviews. $7,500 tax credit a bonus. Cheers.
Please keep me posted when you get your Model S. I am incredibly excited about this car as you may have noticed from my previous post. I am considering buying stock in the company. I told myself a few years back, any cars purchased in the future would be paid for in cash and no car loans for me. I might just break this promise for the Tesla since the sticker price is quite high on the ones with the best batteries. I will send youa PM.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Hi DFWInvestor. Will do, expect delivery before Christmas. Also have reservation for Tesla Model X in 2014. My wife and I will share this vehicle, she drives it to work during week, I get to drive for fun on weekends. My wife has many great qualities but she cannot seem to remember to ever get gas in car, so over years I am used to taking her car with almost empty tank to gas station hoping it can make the trip. Really looking forward to waving at gas stations as go by from now on. Cheers.
greenbldg

Post by greenbldg »

98 bmw 318i, 165k miles and minimal maintenance. its cheap.

Speaking of the Tesla... I took a 2012 Roadster Sport out a couple weeks ago. Lots of fun. Also had a chance w/ a Fisker Karma. I'll probably never be able to afford one myself, but it was fun while it lasted. Loved the regenerative braking and not having to hit the brakes except for at stop lights. The Fisker had a switch for "hill" mode to swap the two driving styles. I would definately consider one in the future.

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

I don't commute anymore. I drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Off road and towing capabilities fit my lifestyle here in the desert.
Steve | Semper Fi
bluetrekrider

Post by bluetrekrider »

Kathleen Ryan wrote:Thank you for asking, Bogledude

I finally purchased my dream car on October 6, 2012. It is a 2009 Chevy Corvette Convertible. I paid cash, after saving for about twelve years. I always wanted to do that! 8-) It had 16,327 miles. I got a great deal of $36,500.00 I also purchased the extra warranty. With taxes, etc., - out the door
at $41, 474.24.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/11369225.jpg

Call me superficial. I live in California, but it was the exact color I wanted; as close to, "Candy Apple Red," that came stock from dealerships.- (Crystal Red Metallic tintcoat). It is absolutely beautiful with little flecks of gold. I asked myself this question; "How would I feel if I didn't get this car ? Awful, so I knew I HAD to buy it. I also thought that in a few years I'll be too old to really enjoy it like I do now. I didn't want to end up saying, "I regret not buying it." I park it in the carport with the cover over it when I don't drive it. When I take the cover off, it is exciting every time I see it. Then when I start her up, Wow, it is such a nice sound. When you get on it the baffles open up and it has that wonderful tuned dual exhaust sound.

It has a, "cashmere" ragtop, and matching interior. I always saw the black top and interior, but the light top is stunning with the red. Every time I take it out-(which is always exciting), and I park, people come up to me and we generally spend a few minutes together talking about corvettes. I absolutely love it.

These are the options:

It has a manual transmission-which I wanted, with the tuned dual exhaust. It generates 6 more hp than stock, to total 436 hp total. The first owner paid, $1,000.00 more for this option.

It has a:
Z-51 performance package with larger cross drilled brake rotors
Heads up display
Side impact airbags
Telescoping steering wheel
Heated memory seats
Power convertible top
Dual zone climate control
Polished aluminum 15 spoke wheels - 18" Front, 19" rear
Tuned dual exhaust with baffles - nice and loud! --->Varoooom
6 cd player-upgraded Bose stereo with 7 speakers
Fog lamps
Blue tooth
Beautiful car; congratulations! I'm thinking of doing something similar - money earned and saved is for enjoying!
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

2007 FJ cruiser with 37000 miles, bought from Irish Expat,

2010 Toyota Prado 20,000 Kilometers, bought new,

We live currently overseas and both cars were great so far,
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

1997 Lincoln Town car. 200,000 miles. 18 mpg. I love it and it loves me (cheap to maintain). Enough said.
rifleman

Post by rifleman »

moi-'04 acura tsx @ 42K
SO- '06 V6 rav4 @ 55K
both a nice blend of practical/economical and FUN
john94549

Post by john94549 »

1994 Buick Regal, 76K miles. I don't drive much. I put aside money for a new car years ago, but the Buick just keeps passing smog inspections.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon - 24,000 miles.
2013 Mustang Boss 302 - 500 miles of smiles - will probably own it until I die.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Polar_Ice wrote:I like older cars with a lot of character. My DD is an 1985 Mercedes and just hit 325K recently.I have been waiting for it to die the last couple of years but it just keeps going and I enjoy driving it. :happy
Old cars are great.

However there has been a significant change in the safety of autos since the 1980s:

- universal airbags, first driver now other passengers, side etc. - -which is great as long as you also use a seatbelt
- better seatbelts I think (they have borrowed the technology from aviation)
- better crumble zones (the front and rear 'boxes')-- SUVs have finally begun to catch up in this area (early SUVs were '2 box' not '3 box' and thus significantly more dangerous in a crash + rollover risk)
- antilock (ABS) brakes
- shorter stopping distances
- now electronic stability control

A downside is modern cars have generally higher horsepower to weight and acceleration, and that makes it easier to make a mistake.

If you use that car a lot eg in heavy commuting, or if loved ones (wife, children, grandchildren etc.) use it a lot, then it's something you might want to think about.

If you use it yourself, and tend to use it when it's fun, then it is not such a big issue-- when and how you use a car are still probably the main determinants of whether you crash.
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

jdb wrote:Re: What kind of car are you driving?
by DFWinvestor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm still driving my reliable 15-year-old Camry and am also eyeing on the Tesla as the replacement in case I need a new car. I'm a fan of Consumer Report magazine which has not reviewed the Tesla yet.
Please post your feedback after you break in your Tesla.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
Dogfather

Post by Dogfather »

Bought a brand new Chev Tahoe Z71 with 5.3L flex fuel engine in 2003. It now has 198K miles and I just put new Michelin LTX MS2 tires on it. It is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I did all of the recommended maintenance at the proper intervals. The maintenance has paid off as this truck runs like a top, paint and interior are in great shape, and the new tires provide an excellent quiet ride.

If I don't die first I will drive this truck into the ground as the local Chevy dealer offered virtually nothing on trade for a new Tahoe Z71 that they were willing to "give away" for $51K.

I'd rather keep my cash invested at Vanguard and drive the boglehead vehicle.
desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 »

2002 new Jeep Wrangler. Now has 180,000 miles on it. I usually don't buy new, but my goal is to drive it for 500,000 miles or 25 years, whichever comes first. I knew with it being new what the maintenance history was on the jeep--mainly regular oil changes to meet my goal.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Hello DFWinvestor and oragne lovre. Got delivery of Tesla Model S on Sunday. Exceeds expectations, gives new dimension to phrase joy of driving. Such a pleasure never to have to buy gas for this vehicle, just plug in garage wall outlet every evening for couple hours. The acceleration and handling makes you smile as you drive. $7500 tax credit almost seems like a bonus. Prices going up a little next month so may make sense to put down $5K refundable deposit now if interested, nine month or so waiting time anyway for vehicle. Only problem is that my wife wants to drive it all the time. Best to everyone for the Holidays.
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi bluetrekrider,

You wrote, "Beautiful car; congratulations! I'm thinking of doing something similar - money earned and saved is for enjoying!"

Thank you for your words of support. Yes, after you have all your other goals out of the way; children's college education fund, retirement funds, etc., I think your money for sure should buy you the car you've always wanted. It is such a blast to drive by the beach with the top down, listening to your favorite tunes, and taking her for a, "joy ride" along Highway 1, through the Carmel Highlands, and down to Big Sur.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
ram

Post by ram »

Me - Toyota avalon-2006 -120K miles.
Wife- Honda odyssey 2006- 60 K
No problems with either as yet.
Ram
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

2011 Nissan Leaf 100% electric.
ICEs are the 1999 Lexus and a Ford 250 to pull the 5th wheel.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
bgwilli

Post by bgwilli »

2009 Acura TL SH AWD, 45K miles - purchased used coming off a 3 year lease - Certified Acura from the dealer
- replaced a 2004 Honda Accord with 124K miles - wanted to keep driving it, but got into an accident

Wife drives a 2008 Acura MDX - 44K miles - also used, previous 3 year lease
- replaced a very unreliable 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro - car had a transmission problem at 96K (torque converter) that was not worth fixing

BW
MnD

Post by MnD »

2005 Toyota Tacoma P/U (Crew Cab long bed 4X4) Bought new

I'm 50 and for my personal wheels, I have only owned three vehicles including my current one - all pickups.

1989 Mazda B2200 P/U Bought new
1977 Datsun Kingcab Bought used in 1982

Plan to replace the Toyota in 2018/19
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

2012 Honda Fit with manual transmission--practical and fun. Long live the Fit (and I expect it to)! :happy
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
magician

Post by magician »

2001 Honda S2000: 197,000 miles. So far.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

2013 Ford Explorer... Company vehicle complete with free gas/insurance/maintenance.

Wife drives a paid for 2007 Jetta with less than 45k miles.

Yes, I know we're fortunate.
camden

Post by camden »

2010 Hyundai Genesis coupe. An act of rebellion against growing old.
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

A Toyota fan here,

1)2000 Sienna with 199000K miles, bought new, still runs fine , works as an extra vehicle right now
2)2003 Avalon XLS at 86K miles, premium luxury and a good value, bought at 23k miles,
3)2009 Camry LE, 60k, wife drives, bought at 42K

I have been lucky with Toyotas
edglim

Post by edglim »

Me: 1989 Toyota Corolla 245,000 miles - bought used in 2000
Wife: 2001 Honda Accord 4 door - 98,000 miles - bought new

both vehicles are very reliable and low maintenance
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Kathleen Ryan wrote:Thank you for your words of support. Yes, after you have all your other goals out of the way; children's college education fund, retirement funds, etc., I think your money for sure should buy you the car you've always wanted. It is such a blast to drive by the beach with the top down, listening to your favorite tunes, and taking her for a, "joy ride" along Highway 1, through the Carmel Highlands, and down to Big Sur.
Yes, I've decided that after I get some other issues squared away financially in the next 2-3 years, I'm putting some money into something I'll enjoy - I've always had trouble spending money on myself. I test drove an XK8 convertible a little while back and a lightly used one is in serious consideration once I have other things taken care of. :)
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

Me: 2011 BMW 335i coupe -30K miles
Wife: 2003 Honda Pilot - 120K miles
Us: 2010 Honda CR-V - 28K miles
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

2013 Honda Accord Sport. Very happy with it's performance, reliablity, and versatility so far. I've been getting around 35 mpg highway and 32 mpg overall.

It replaces my 2 older Toyotas which were washed away in Superstorm Sandy. The 2003 Avalon had 321,000 miles on it!
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

Just replaced our 1996 Ford Taurus with a new 2013 Mazda3 hatchback. I love the new car! I actually look forward to driving now. The Mazda feels so tight and precise, more so than any other car I have ever drove. A little rougher ride than the ol' Taurus but I like feeling more connected to the road.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Me - 2010 Forester ---- 11K miles
Me - 2003 350Z ---- 49K miles

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison »

2005 Mercury Montego---54,000 miles
2004 Dodge Ram 1500---70,000 miles
1997 Mercury Tracer---110,000 miles

The tracer is just to drive back and forth to work to save gas. My wife's parents bought it for her used 13 years ago as her first car. We had to buy a bigger vehicle (Montego) once we had our first boy in 2008.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I have an '04 Mazda 3 sedan with 99k miles.
genjix

Post by genjix »

in mid 2012 I purchased a 2000 Lexus GS300 with 85k Miles. My best car experience and I'm sold on lexus for life (used though, new is way too much for my budget)
pekkle

Post by pekkle »

1994 Mazda Miata - daily beater
2006 Subaru WRX wagon (people / cargo hauler for the weekends)
2001 Kawasaki EX500 (for fun)

(I suppose the motorized stuff are my indulgence.)