What kind of car are you driving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What kind of car are you driving?

Post by VictoriaF »

interplanetjanet wrote:
Kathleen Ryan wrote:Thank you for your words of support. Yes, after you have all your other goals out of the way; children's college education fund, retirement funds, etc., I think your money for sure should buy you the car you've always wanted. It is such a blast to drive by the beach with the top down, listening to your favorite tunes, and taking her for a, "joy ride" along Highway 1, through the Carmel Highlands, and down to Big Sur.
Yes, I've decided that after I get some other issues squared away financially in the next 2-3 years, I'm putting some money into something I'll enjoy - I've always had trouble spending money on myself. I test drove an XK8 convertible a little while back and a lightly used one is in serious consideration once I have other things taken care of. :)
If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
mojave

Post by mojave »

Me: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, 80k, paid off in a few weeks. Love this car.
Husband: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 aka the Money Black Hole, 160k, still about $5k left on the loan - unfortunately, needs it for work
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

VictoriaF wrote:If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?
It's practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - appearantly not enough thieves want to bother with them.

I usually like manuals, I like the connection with the process. However, after undergoing some injuries it's become appearant to me that I may want to move towards automatics at some point in the future.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

interplanetjanet wrote:I usually like manuals, I like the connection with the process. However, after undergoing some injuries it's become appearant to me that I may want to move towards automatics at some point in the future.
Thank you, Janet,

Were the injuries related to the use of the manual transmission, i.e., some kind of a repetitive stress?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

interplanetjanet wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?
It's practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - appearantly not enough thieves want to bother with them.

I usually like manuals, I like the connection with the process. However, after undergoing some injuries it's become appearant to me that I may want to move towards automatics at some point in the future.
I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

VictoriaF wrote: If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria

I recently read that manual transmissions account for about 5% of the US car purchases recently. 2011 was in the 4% range, and there was actually an uptick in 2012 (the first in many years), probably due to more small economy cars being purchased.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

Fallible wrote:I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)
Yes, it was a leg injury from other causes, though I broke a toe a couple months back and that was a pain as well! Thankfully I can shift without a clutch so it was only really an issue at stops, but that was quite enough.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I had manual transmissions in my cars until my mother moved to Long Island, NY many years ago. My left leg started to cramp during one bad traffic jam on the Long Island Expressway (btw, L.I. Expressway might be one of the cruelest oxymorons of all time). Anyway, automatics for me ever since.

I did rent some cars in Scotland and Ireland and discovered that the low end torque of a diesel is wonderful when paired with a manual transmission.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

tyrion wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria

I recently read that manual transmissions account for about 5% of the US car purchases recently. 2011 was in the 4% range, and there was actually an uptick in 2012 (the first in many years), probably due to more small economy cars being purchased.
Someone I know has bought a Honda Fit with the manual transmission. She has not driven MT before, and I feel competitive.

Victoria
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

VictoriaF wrote:Someone I know has bought a Honda Fit with the manual transmission. She has not driven MT before, and I feel competitive.

Victoria
My Honda Fit is my first MT car, too. It is a great choice in the Fit.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
SDBoggled

Post by SDBoggled »

1998 M3 Manual 150,000

I love my 20 minute commute to work in the mornings (light traffic). Bought it about 3 years ago for $5500.
Our family owns 4 other V8s, all later models, all more expensive, but the M3 is my car of choice.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

interplanetjanet wrote:[manual transmission is] practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - apparently not enough thieves want to bother with them.
But the thieves don't know what kind of a transmission it is until they break into a car? Or people put a bumper sticker, e.g., "Have you driven stick-shift lately" or "A car in the next stall is automatic".

Victoria
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

VictoriaF wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:[manual transmission is] practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - apparently not enough thieves want to bother with them.
But the thieves don't know what kind of a transmission it is until they break into a car? Or people put a bumper sticker, e.g., "Have you driven stick-shift lately" or "A car in the next stall is automatic".

Victoria
You can tell by looking in the window if a car has manual or automatic transmissions. The gear shifter between the driver and passenger seats has letters like P, R, N. and D for automatics while on a manual it has numbers such as 1, 2, 3, and 4, and R. An automatic also has a button on the gear shifter knob which enables the driver to change gears while a manual does not.

The presence of a third pedal (clutch) on the floor would also be a good giveaway that the car is a manual.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

In a retirement mode so finally unload my 99 BMW 323iC with 75k original miles.

Down to one car - 2013 Mazda CX-5 with 8k frugal miles, over 30 mpg on highway. My worst tank was 27 mpg. It has little power so I do use the 6-speed auto/manual occasionally when passing. Our friends were amazed how we can live with one car, with an empty garage space to boot.

Would love to have a Tesla for toy though.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

Fallible wrote: I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)
I always felt that driving a stick helped me stay more aware of my acceleration and more engaged while driving compared to an auto.

http://www.news10.net/greathangup/artic ... -for-teens

http://www.howwedrive.com/2009/01/07/ma ... r-driving/
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Polar_Ice wrote:
Fallible wrote: I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)
I always felt that driving a stick helped me stay more aware of my acceleration and more engaged while driving compared to an auto.

http://www.news10.net/greathangup/artic ... -for-teens

http://www.howwedrive.com/2009/01/07/ma ... r-driving/
Some good points in these articles, especially possibly cutting down on kids texting. Here's where I'm coming from: I highly value defensive driving (and safe speeds), meaning I want my car to run as effortlessly as possible so that instead of being engaged with it, I can be engaged mainly with what's going on outside it. I try to focus on what the other guy is doing, or about to do, or has done so I've got to hit the brakes hard or swerve to avoid an accident. I watch for and try to anticipate stuff like kids or animals running into the road, suddenly changing road conditions, and all the other things that can and often do happen while driving. Stick-shifting may not affect a defensive focus at all, or very little, but I've concluded that it affects it enough to warrant an automatic.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

1997 Town Car 201,000 miles. It will be my hearse one day.
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

Just read somewhere that more millionaires drive Camrys than any other car. So to all you fellow boglehead Camry owners out there, things are looking up..
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

htdrag11 wrote: Would love to have a Tesla for toy though.
+1

:D
khollister

Post by khollister »

2010 Honda Insight hybrid - 40-45mpg, about 30K miles. Paid for
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel (tow vehicle for the Airstream) - about 70k miles (just getting broken in). Paid for
2006 HD Road King motorcycle - heavily customized engine/paint. Paid for
2008 HD Dyna motorcycle - paid for

Wife's car - 2011 Subaru Forester - still owes money on it.

2005 Airstream 25' trailer - paid for

I should add that if something happened to the Insight today, I would buy another hybrid (either an Insight or Prius) in a heartbeat. Love the mileage, don't need a huge car. I have the truck for the hauling jobs.
crowd79

Post by crowd79 »

I'll buy used cars, drive them and maintain them for years until the engine fails or the tranny goes shot. Sure beats buying new and losing half your investment on the drive home from the dealer lot. Sure beats having monthly car payments.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I have a 8yo Camry and a 1+yo Corolla. My plan is to keep these cars until I have had each about 10-15 years and then replace the older one. This leap-frog plan is what I have been doing for the last 15 years or so and the Toyota line seems perfect for our needs.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

crowd79 wrote:...
Sure beats buying new and losing half your investment on the drive home from the dealer lot...
It's not quite that bad. Once you title a new car, it becomes worth its wholesale price. That's quite a drop in value, but not close to half, unless you really overpaid :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
volleyballfwtx

Post by volleyballfwtx »

-2002 Toyota Solara - 170k, Will drive it as long as I can.

-1991 Toyota MR2 - 215k, I drive this car about once a month on the weekend, change car oil about once a year. Plan on restoring it later down the road, had it since high school.

-1999 Ford F250 Diesel - 94k, Bought it for my father's business, as an emergency truck, for towing and such.
KWu

Post by KWu »

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo with all the options which I bought new when my old car, 2000 Kia Sephia with well over 100k miles, started costing me more in repairs and maintenance than the car was worth. Not the most bogleheaded decision I made buying the car brand new, but I did manage to use USAA's car buying service and did not have to pay taxes on the purchase saving me nearly $9500 off the sticker price.

I'll be driving this car as long as it runs.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

2005 Lexus LS430 and 2013 Lamborghini LP550-2.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

Serie1926 wrote: 2013 Lamborghini LP550-2.
:shock:

Want a roommate to help offset your housing costs in a boggleheadian fashion?
Dave76

Post by Dave76 »

stilts1007 wrote:Just read somewhere that more millionaires drive Camrys than any other car. So to all you fellow boglehead Camry owners out there, things are looking up..
Does that mean the rest of us should be driving Yugos? :mrgreen:
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

volleyballfwtx wrote:-2002 Toyota Solara - 170k, Will drive it as long as I can.

-1991 Toyota MR2 - 215k, I drive this car about once a month on the weekend, change car oil about once a year. Plan on restoring it later down the road, had it since high school.

-1999 Ford F250 Diesel - 94k, Bought it for my father's business, as an emergency truck, for towing and such.
I like all your cars.

Mine:

Past:
1993 Nissan 240SX - lots of fun, MT, 4cyl, hatchback, RWD, sold still in high school @ 180k miles, wish I never did!
1999 Toyota Solara - AT, not convertible, regular coupe - a boat really, totaled, fixed, sold @ approx. 100k miles.
2003 Nissan Sentra - wife's college car. SOLD. yucky - (diarrhea brown color)
Current:
2013 Subaru Outback - loaded, wife's car. Not bad, but tranny went at like 40k-ish miles...
2006 Scion TC - MT, coupe, rebuilt title, served me immensely well for 10 years - 111k miles - will be selling it as I need more space for the kiddo!
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder - MT, coupe, convertible, soft-top, 108k miles - just picked this bad boy up for $4,900. (sort of pricey for miles - but Zero Rust! #amazed)
Soon to be owned:
2-3 Year old Toyota Camry... - will trade-in/sell TC because 2 coupes make ZERO sense.
Get rich or die tryin'
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Serie1926 wrote: 2013 Lamborghini LP550-2.
2006 Honda Element here.

Wanna race?
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote: Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria

What is the resale value of manual transmission cars?

My Honda Element has MT.

Might Serie 1926 want to trade his Lamborghini for it?

I'd take him up on it if he was willing to throw in another couple of thousand bucks to cover my higher gas bill.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortyoung

Post by mortyoung »

I drive a 6-cylinder Camry, bought on June 2000 after returning home from China. So far, drove 100,000 miles.
Great car! Previously, drove a broken-down Ford (lasted a few months) and an earlier two Camrys, Beetle, and awful French vehicle trying to be the Beetle's French version. Ridiculous.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Me- 2009 Honda CR*V EX-L AWD @ ~170,000 miles. Enterprise rental bought through a used car dealer with 33,000 miles in 2011. Very good condition with few problems. Very practical; really meets my needs. Maintenance is really easy; I can change the oil, transmission fluid and rear-end fluid without jacking up the car. I hope to keep it 3 more years.

Spouse - 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ (4 cylinder, 6 speed automatic) @ ~39,000 miles. Bought new. Repetitive problem with warped brake rotors. Minor problems with both key fobs. Otherwise OK. No replacement planned in the foreseeable future.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

A few months back I purchased a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (Plug-in hybrid) with 97k miles for $8,700. I previously had a 2004 Ford Taurus with about 77k miles.

With the 20-25 mile "all electric" range, I have been really liking the in town driving for this car. It costs me about 50-60 cents (using a kill-o-watt) for a full charge. Overall mileage has been in the 50-60 mpg range and up. It is kind of like driving a smartphone. :mrgreen:

With low gas prices the used plug-in hybrids are heavily discounted. I went with one with higher miles, but you can get a quite amazing amount of car for under $10k in our market area.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria

What is the resale value of manual transmission cars?

My Honda Element has MT.

Might Serie 1926 want to trade his Lamborghini for it?

I'd take him up on it if he was willing to throw in another couple of thousand bucks to cover my higher gas bill.
Haha :) Sold the Bull.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Me: 2016 Toyota Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD Sport, 6 spd manual - only about 200 miles on it since I just bought it in May 2016. I expect to keep it for at least 20 years. Traded in a 15 year old Celica for it.

Husband: 2006 Honda Civic Si, 6 spd, about 110k miles. Been paid off since 2009. I expect to keep it 10 more years.

I'm 39 and have only owned 3 cars so far: Celica, Civic, Tacoma. :) If I weren't married it would have been 2!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe (35k miles)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard-Rock (2k miles)
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

Current car is a 2006 Toyota Corolla with 150k on it- I bought it used 6 years ago. I have had very few problems other than normal maintenance - hope to have it until it gets at least 200k otherwise I'll be disappointed!

The Toyota replaced a 10+ year old Geo Prizm with 250k that I bought new - I traded that car in and saw someone else still driving it a year later! That car had some character - I kept losing the plastic wheel covers (hubcaps) so I finally used nylon cinch ties to hold them on LOL! Still had hand crank windows on it - Some of my daughters friends had never seen that and were confused with how to lower the windows!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Same as I reported on Page 1 of this question back in 2012
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Sheepdog wrote:Same as I reported on Page 1 of this question back in 2012
Winner!
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

stilts1007 wrote:Just read somewhere that more millionaires drive Camrys than any other car. So to all you fellow boglehead Camry owners out there, things are looking up..
I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the simple fact that it's one of the best selling cars on the road. More people in general drive Camrys. I've alternatively seen the F-150 as the #1 millionaire car (truck), which just happens to be the best selling vehicle in the U.S.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

2014.5 Toyota Camry (does that really make me a millionaire?- my account says "no" but I'm trying) and a 2002 MIGHTY Nissan Sentra. The Sentra has been fantastic but it might be time to get another car. Thinking of either another Sentra or a Corolla. Garage space is at a premium otherwise it would be another Camry for sure. The are GREAT cars AND it would double my chances at becoming a millionaire......

Bob
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

2004 Buick Century, 101,000 miles,
2012 Toyota Camry, 27,000.

In case you plan to buy a stickshift car, better practice before going on a trip.
I once rented a stickshift car at the Frankfurt, Germany. airport. It was a challenge negotiating especially bumps in the pavement at passenger crosswalks while driving very slowly along the lanes at the airport. Then on the autobahn going North which traverses several hills in sequence I had to shift down repeatedly quickly, once nearly standing still, what a nightmare. Though I made my drivers license on stick shift many years before, but had forgotten it.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

ScooterBob wrote:2014.5 Toyota Camry (does that really make me a millionaire?- my account says "no" but I'm trying) and a 2002 MIGHTY Nissan Sentra. The Sentra has been fantastic but it might be time to get another car. Thinking of either another Sentra or a Corolla. Garage space is at a premium otherwise it would be another Camry for sure. The are GREAT cars AND it would double my chances at becoming a millionaire......

Bob

ScooterBob, what kind of scooter in your avatar? I bought a Yamaha Smax last year and love it!
Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss »

2007 Nissan XTerra Offroad .. bought it used with 42K on it, now it has 125K and still alive! Guilty pleasure and boat hauler.. Wife's car is 2015 Subaru Forester, we will keep till it explodes. Older 2002 Subaru Forester we gave to our daughter and it's still great.
david99

Post by david99 »

2000 Toyota Corolla with 92,000 miles. It runs well --- I'm just not sure how much longer I should keep it? I guess that the standard Boglehead response would be to "keep it until the wheels fall off".
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

2014 Nissan Maxima, 11,500 miles
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

Serie1926 wrote:
ScooterBob wrote:2014.5 Toyota Camry (does that really make me a millionaire?- my account says "no" but I'm trying) and a 2002 MIGHTY Nissan Sentra. The Sentra has been fantastic but it might be time to get another car. Thinking of either another Sentra or a Corolla. Garage space is at a premium otherwise it would be another Camry for sure. The are GREAT cars AND it would double my chances at becoming a millionaire......

Bob

ScooterBob, what kind of scooter in your avatar? I bought a Yamaha Smax last year and love it!
That's my trusty 2005 Piaggio BV200. 28,000 miles as of yesterday. Those Smax's are very nice. My wife and I also have a "vintage" Yamaha, 1995 Riva 125. Fast for it's size- we both can ride it. Scooters are VERY underrated in the U.S. Fantastic vehicles that are SO fun to ride.

Bob
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I am driving a car that is 3.5 years older than the car I was driving when this thread started.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.