What kind of car are you driving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: What kind of car are you driving?

Postby VictoriaF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:
Kathleen Ryan wrote:Thank you for your words of support. Yes, after you have all your other goals out of the way; children's college education fund, retirement funds, etc., I think your money for sure should buy you the car you've always wanted. It is such a blast to drive by the beach with the top down, listening to your favorite tunes, and taking her for a, "joy ride" along Highway 1, through the Carmel Highlands, and down to Big Sur.

Yes, I've decided that after I get some other issues squared away financially in the next 2-3 years, I'm putting some money into something I'll enjoy - I've always had trouble spending money on myself. I test drove an XK8 convertible a little while back and a lightly used one is in serious consideration once I have other things taken care of. :)

If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Postby mojave » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Me: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, 80k, paid off in a few weeks. Love this car.
Husband: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 aka the Money Black Hole, 160k, still about $5k left on the loan - unfortunately, needs it for work
mojave

Postby Curlyq » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 am

2003 Subaru Baja - regular driver and ranch truck, 120,000 miles
1989 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT - 4WD small RV and also my tow vehicle for the horse and utility trailers, 80,000 miles
2009 Piaggio MP3 - three-wheeled 400cc Italian scooter pocket-rocket (by my humble standards), 800 miles

I buy my vehicles for cash. The scooter has been so much fun that I'll probably use it heavily during warmer months this year.
Curlyq

Postby interplanetjanet » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 am

VictoriaF wrote:If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

It's practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - appearantly not enough thieves want to bother with them.

I usually like manuals, I like the connection with the process. However, after undergoing some injuries it's become appearant to me that I may want to move towards automatics at some point in the future.
interplanetjanet

Postby VictoriaF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:I usually like manuals, I like the connection with the process. However, after undergoing some injuries it's become appearant to me that I may want to move towards automatics at some point in the future.

Thank you, Janet,

Were the injuries related to the use of the manual transmission, i.e., some kind of a repetitive stress?

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby Fallible » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

interplanetjanet wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:If my car ever dies (it's about 16 years old now but still going strong) I will probably get the next one with manual transmission. The last time I drove stick shift was twenty years ago in Spain. It's about time to refresh the skill. Considering the resale value of cars with standard transmission, does this qualify as a luxury?

It's practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - appearantly not enough thieves want to bother with them.

I usually like manuals, I like the connection with the process. However, after undergoing some injuries it's become appearant to me that I may want to move towards automatics at some point in the future.

I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." -William James
Fallible

Postby tyrion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Victoria

I recently read that manual transmissions account for about 5% of the US car purchases recently. 2011 was in the 4% range, and there was actually an uptick in 2012 (the first in many years), probably due to more small economy cars being purchased.
tyrion

Postby interplanetjanet » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)

Yes, it was a leg injury from other causes, though I broke a toe a couple months back and that was a pain as well! Thankfully I can shift without a clutch so it was only really an issue at stops, but that was quite enough.
interplanetjanet

Postby TomatoTomahto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

I had manual transmissions in my cars until my mother moved to Long Island, NY many years ago. My left leg started to cramp during one bad traffic jam on the Long Island Expressway (btw, L.I. Expressway might be one of the cruelest oxymorons of all time). Anyway, automatics for me ever since.

I did rent some cars in Scotland and Ireland and discovered that the low end torque of a diesel is wonderful when paired with a manual transmission.
TomatoTomahto

Postby VictoriaF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:23 pm

tyrion wrote:

Victoria

I recently read that manual transmissions account for about 5% of the US car purchases recently. 2011 was in the 4% range, and there was actually an uptick in 2012 (the first in many years), probably due to more small economy cars being purchased.

Someone I know has bought a Honda Fit with the manual transmission. She has not driven MT before, and I feel competitive.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby tuckeverlasting » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Someone I know has bought a Honda Fit with the manual transmission. She has not driven MT before, and I feel competitive.

Victoria

My Honda Fit is my first MT car, too. It is a great choice in the Fit.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead.
tuckeverlasting

Postby SDBoggled » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 am

1998 M3 Manual 150,000

I love my 20 minute commute to work in the mornings (light traffic). Bought it about 3 years ago for $5500.
Our family owns 4 other V8s, all later models, all more expensive, but the M3 is my car of choice.
SDBoggled

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am

interplanetjanet wrote:[manual transmission is] practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - apparently not enough thieves want to bother with them.

But the thieves don't know what kind of a transmission it is until they break into a car? Or people put a bumper sticker, e.g., "Have you driven stick-shift lately" or "A car in the next stall is automatic".

Victoria
VictoriaF

Postby scrabbler1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am

VictoriaF wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:[manual transmission is] practical, too! I seem to remember seeing some statistics on how a manual transmission was one of the bigger factors in avoiding car theft - apparently not enough thieves want to bother with them.

But the thieves don't know what kind of a transmission it is until they break into a car? Or people put a bumper sticker, e.g., "Have you driven stick-shift lately" or "A car in the next stall is automatic".

Victoria

You can tell by looking in the window if a car has manual or automatic transmissions. The gear shifter between the driver and passenger seats has letters like P, R, N. and D for automatics while on a manual it has numbers such as 1, 2, 3, and 4, and R. An automatic also has a button on the gear shifter knob which enables the driver to change gears while a manual does not.

The presence of a third pedal (clutch) on the floor would also be a good giveaway that the car is a manual.
scrabbler1

Postby htdrag11 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:55 pm

In a retirement mode so finally unload my 99 BMW 323iC with 75k original miles.

Down to one car - 2013 Mazda CX-5 with 8k frugal miles, over 30 mpg on highway. My worst tank was 27 mpg. It has little power so I do use the 6-speed auto/manual occasionally when passing. Our friends were amazed how we can live with one car, with an empty garage space to boot.

Would love to have a Tesla for toy though.
htdrag11

Postby Polar_Ice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm guessing by "injuries" you mean they were unrelated to stick-shifting but were aggravated by it. I used to love stick shifts until I broke a toe (playing beach volleyball) and depressing the clutch was very painful. I finally borrowed a friend's car until the toe healed. I still hung onto the stick shift but got tired of it when caught in stop-and-go traffic (shift, shift, shift, shift...) and finally decided it also was something of a distraction from driving and therefore a safety factor. I've had automatics ever since (early '90s). Or maybe I just got too old for the extra "work." :)

I always felt that driving a stick helped me stay more aware of my acceleration and more engaged while driving compared to an auto.

http://www.news10.net/greathangup/artic ... -for-teens

http://www.howwedrive.com/2009/01/07/ma ... r-driving/
Polar_Ice

Postby Fallible » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Polar_Ice wrote:

I always felt that driving a stick helped me stay more aware of my acceleration and more engaged while driving compared to an auto.

http://www.news10.net/greathangup/artic ... -for-teens

http://www.howwedrive.com/2009/01/07/ma ... r-driving/

Some good points in these articles, especially possibly cutting down on kids texting. Here's where I'm coming from: I highly value defensive driving (and safe speeds), meaning I want my car to run as effortlessly as possible so that instead of being engaged with it, I can be engaged mainly with what's going on outside it. I try to focus on what the other guy is doing, or about to do, or has done so I've got to hit the brakes hard or swerve to avoid an accident. I watch for and try to anticipate stuff like kids or animals running into the road, suddenly changing road conditions, and all the other things that can and often do happen while driving. Stick-shifting may not affect a defensive focus at all, or very little, but I've concluded that it affects it enough to warrant an automatic.
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." -William James
Fallible

Postby reggiesimpson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:29 pm

1997 Town Car 201,000 miles. It will be my hearse one day.
reggiesimpson

Postby stilts1007 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Just read somewhere that more millionaires drive Camrys than any other car. So to all you fellow boglehead Camry owners out there, things are looking up..
stilts1007

Postby fareastwarriors » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

htdrag11 wrote:Would love to have a Tesla for toy though.

+1

:D
fareastwarriors

Postby khollister » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:26 pm

2010 Honda Insight hybrid - 40-45mpg, about 30K miles. Paid for
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel (tow vehicle for the Airstream) - about 70k miles (just getting broken in). Paid for
2006 HD Road King motorcycle - heavily customized engine/paint. Paid for
2008 HD Dyna motorcycle - paid for

Wife's car - 2011 Subaru Forester - still owes money on it.

2005 Airstream 25' trailer - paid for

I should add that if something happened to the Insight today, I would buy another hybrid (either an Insight or Prius) in a heartbeat. Love the mileage, don't need a huge car. I have the truck for the hauling jobs.
khollister

Postby crowd79 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:01 pm

I'll buy used cars, drive them and maintain them for years until the engine fails or the tranny goes shot. Sure beats buying new and losing half your investment on the drive home from the dealer lot. Sure beats having monthly car payments.
crowd79

Postby mickeyd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:42 pm

I have a 8yo Camry and a 1+yo Corolla. My plan is to keep these cars until I have had each about 10-15 years and then replace the older one. This leap-frog plan is what I have been doing for the last 15 years or so and the Toyota line seems perfect for our needs.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby TomatoTomahto » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:03 pm

crowd79 wrote:...
Sure beats buying new and losing half your investment on the drive home from the dealer lot...

It's not quite that bad. Once you title a new car, it becomes worth its wholesale price. That's quite a drop in value, but not close to half, unless you really overpaid :D
TomatoTomahto

Postby volleyballfwtx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 pm

-2002 Toyota Solara - 170k, Will drive it as long as I can.

-1991 Toyota MR2 - 215k, I drive this car about once a month on the weekend, change car oil about once a year. Plan on restoring it later down the road, had it since high school.

-1999 Ford F250 Diesel - 94k, Bought it for my father's business, as an emergency truck, for towing and such.
volleyballfwtx

Postby KWu » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

2011 Kia Optima EX Turbo with all the options which I bought new when my old car, 2000 Kia Sephia with well over 100k miles, started costing me more in repairs and maintenance than the car was worth. Not the most bogleheaded decision I made buying the car brand new, but I did manage to use USAA's car buying service and did not have to pay taxes on the purchase saving me nearly $9500 off the sticker price.

I'll be driving this car as long as it runs.
KWu

Postby Serie1926 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:57 am

2005 Lexus LS430 and 2013 Lamborghini LP550-2.
Serie1926

Postby NHRATA01 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Serie1926 wrote: 2013 Lamborghini LP550-2.

:shock:

Want a roommate to help offset your housing costs in a boggleheadian fashion?
NHRATA01

Postby Dave76 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

stilts1007 wrote:Just read somewhere that more millionaires drive Camrys than any other car. So to all you fellow boglehead Camry owners out there, things are looking up..

Does that mean the rest of us should be driving Yugos? :mrgreen:
Dave76

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues