Replacing Time Warner Cable Box with Tivo

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Replacing Time Warner Cable Box with Tivo

Postby hlfo718 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Has any one here tried this? Just wondering how difficult it is to get rid of the TWC box with Tivo and did TW give you a hard time?

I'm paying about $20/month for the cable box with DVR. If I buy the Tivo box plus life time sub, I can break even in about 3 years.

Thanks
hlfo718

Re: Replacing Time Warner Cable Box with Tivo

Postby Mudpuppy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Keep in mind that you'll still need to get a CableCard from TWC (since it sounds like you plan to keep TWC service) to access any encrypted TWC channels you wish to record. There is likely a fee associated with "renting" the CableCard that will offset your savings from canceling the DVR rental and they may also charge you an additional fee to activate or install the CableCard on your Tivo. The savings of having your own DVR can be quickly consumed entirely by all of these associated fees for the CableCard.

Also, not all of the TWC channels will be available via the basic, one-way CableCard. Anything that is on their equivalent of an "on-demand" channel (e.g. that requires two-way communication with their infrastructure) can be legally disassociated from the one-way CableCard (and this is a loophole in the FCC rules that cable companies are increasingly using to keep channels "married" to their hardware and fee structure). There are two-way CableCards available from some cable companies, although the fee may be higher. I don't know if TWC has two-way CableCards available, but make sure you ask about it if you want to access the on-demand channels.

Finally, if you do go ahead with this, make sure you keep the receipt for returning the TWC DVR safely stored. Otherwise, TWC might show up several years down the road and say you owe them $200-400 for failure to return the DVR or they might start charging you the rental fee again. Make sure you get documentation that the DVR was returned to an authorized TWC representative and make sure you keep that documentation safely stored for future reference.
Mudpuppy

Postby rkuklinski » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 pm

I used my TiVo box with Time Warner and Verizon Fios. Neither gave me a hard time about it however they both charged between 3 - 5 dollars /month in Cablecard rental fees. You sacrifice access to On-Demand programming and other goodies from the Cable companies but I found the integration of TiVo, Hulu Plus to be worth the sacrifice. The TiVo interface is superior IMHO as well.

By the way the Time Warner/Fios technicians are not well trained on CableCards/TiVo so they struggled to get everything up and running. Luckily setup is fairly straight-forward to get everything going and TiVo will help you as well.
'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"
rkuklinski

Postby astrohip » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am

I did it, and love my Tivo. I pay $2.95/month for the cablecard. That saved me $25+ of DVR & HD fees. It doesn't take long to pay back at that rate.

I bought the 4-tuner Tivo. Still only takes one cablecard, so the same fee regardless. And I can record 4 shows at once.

Tivo has said they are bringing the On-Demand to their box, sometime soon. But I never used on-demand once in all my years with TW (and now Comcast). YMMV. Between NetFlix (which the Tivo box can get) and all the cable shows, I have plenty to watch. :D
astrohip

Postby BigMoneyGrip » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:39 am

I've thought about doing this, but the break even point seems to be too long. By 'renting' the dvr from TWC you can trade it in whenever there is a hard drive failure, or a newer model comes out.
BigMoneyGrip

Postby Optimistic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 pm

hlfo718 wrote:Has any one here tried this? Just wondering how difficult it is to get rid of the TWC box with Tivo and did TW give you a hard time?

I'm paying about $20/month for the cable box with DVR. If I buy the Tivo box plus life time sub, I can break even in about 3 years.

Thanks

What channels do you watch on cable? If you get a Boxee, you'll have DVR, over the air stations, and streaming options like Netflix. The Boxee is $100 (plus $10 a month if you want DVR). You'd have to pay separately for most streaming options (Netflix is $8 a month) and you might want to spend some money (around $80) on a good digital antennae.

Just something to think about.
Optimistic

Postby hlfo718 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm

I was able to renegotiate the DVR cost down from TW to $5/month so I will keep it for now since the breakeven with Tivo is way high. $100 for an older version Tivo box + $400 one time payment for their access. So is about 100 months to breakeven, assuming the Tivo box can last that long.
hlfo718

Postby astrohip » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 pm

hlfo718 wrote:I was able to renegotiate the DVR cost down from TW to $5/month so I will keep it for now since the breakeven with Tivo is way high. $100 for an older version Tivo box + $400 one time payment for their access. So is about 100 months to breakeven, assuming the Tivo box can last that long.

Nice job!

Tivos last forever. That's part of the reason people buy them. I got tired of taking my Comcast DVR back every 6 months because something was wrong with it. I have a Tivo from 2001 that still runs (although I don't use it--it's not HD). I've never had a Tivo die on me, and I have had four over the years.
astrohip

Postby Rupert » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:00 pm

I had my first Tivo box for almost 8 years and never had a bit of trouble with it. I have had trouble with my new box, which is the latest HD version. When Tivo first rolled this box out, almost everybody had problems with it. Google it, and you'll get tons of hits. Tivo had to replace a lot of boxes under warranty. Mine was strangely sensitive to touch. I could bump it while trying to dust behind it and it would reboot. Sometimes it would get stuck in a rebooting cycle where it would reboot over and over again until I unplugged it. Speculation is that Tivo rolled the box out before the software was ready. Anyway, they seem to have fixed the problem with software updates. Mine has been performing well for the last 6 months or so. I love Tivo; I really really do. You do have to get a card from your cable company to make it work though.
Rupert

Postby merciel » Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 pm

I pay for guide data with my Tivo subscription but Time Warner said I also need to pay their "the Guide" fee of $3.27. Don't understand why this is necessary. Hard to get straight answers from Time Warner Customer Service. Do I need the TW Guide if I have Tivo?
merciel

Postby astrohip » Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 pm

merciel wrote:I pay for guide data with my Tivo subscription but Time Warner said I also need to pay their "the Guide" fee of $3.27. Don't understand why this is necessary. Hard to get straight answers from Time Warner Customer Service. Do I need the TW Guide if I have Tivo?

Absolutely not. Not needed, don't pay for it. Ask for a supv if you have to.
astrohip

Return to Personal Consumer Issues