Comcast, Ooma, and buying a modem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Callalily

Comcast, Ooma, and buying a modem

Post by Callalily »

I'm hoping to pick the brains of those more tech-savvy than I am. We currently use Comcast for internet and landline phone and rent their modem. I'd like to buy an Ooma device and get rid of the landline and just pay for Comcast internet. However, I know that I need to get a modem, and this is where I get a little confused. We have 2 laptops we'd like connected via the ethernet and 2 iPads. So I assume we need wireless connectivity and more than one ethernet connection on the modem.

I looked at Comcast's modem suggestions but am unsure which fit my purpose. Suggestions please?
hlfo718

Re: Comcast, Ooma, and buying a modem

Post by hlfo718 »

You can probably find the modem at amazon for less than 100 bucks. I am assuming you have wireless router already in place.
Topic Author
Callalily

Post by Callalily »

No. So I should get a wireless router in addition? Will the router enable multiple laptop ethernet connections?
hidesert

Post by hidesert »

There are modems that have the router and wireless built in. My Motorola modem has 4 hardwire ports and broadcasts a wireless signal.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

This is actually a pretty easy process. First, get pick up a Motorola SB6121 modem from Amazon for $79.99. It's fully supported by Comcast and up date for the fastest cable speeds (Docsis 3.0). You are correct, you will need a wireless router to hook up multiple PCs and get a wireless signal. Two midrange models are the Linksys EA2700 or Netgear WNR3500L. Each of these has 4 wired ethernet ports and support at least a dozen wireless devices. Once you get the devices, first swap your modem. You will probably need to call Comcast and have them activate it. Once you do this, hook the wireless router up in a chain (cable -> modem -> router internet port) and follow included directions.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

The SB6121 is a good modem, but if there is any chance you may ever have Time Warner service in the future, you might consider getting the SB6141, which offers more channel bonding--a bit of future proofing. The SB6141 is the only one Time Warner officially supports, even though today most of their systems should work fine with the SB6121. Regarding the Ooma, I recently got one and am very happy with the device.
OAG

Post by OAG »

I use a SBG 6580 Motorla 4 Eth recepticals D 3.0 and has wireless built in it, (you can Google for more). I use with Time Warner. I got mine as a free replacement under a grandfathered agreement (no rental cost or purchase fee) but it can be purchased under $100. I use it with a ROKU 2 and I am very satisfied (no drops or delayed loading).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

I don't know how long Comcast was out during Hurricane Sandy since I didn't have power, but I know that my Verizon landline phone worked every day except for Wednesday.
I wouldn't trust any company completely for anything.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Hi, I have been a comcast customer for 10 years, been using the same cable modem I purchased at Best Buy (motorola surfboard).

There is also one ethernet port (this will connect to your router's WAN port).

1. You can purchase your own cable modem if you do not want to rent it. This saved me the monthly rental fee (X 10 years).

2. I use a linksys router (most popular home network) that has 5 ethernet ports. You can also purchase an additional ethernet hub and daisy chain to the router if you need more ports.

3. For wifi, there is going to be additional configuring involved for encryption.

4. Recommend purchasing the cable modem separate from the router, it will be easier to troubleshoot if a problem occurs.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

One other thing to keep in mind - OOMA plugs into either your router or modem. They recommend it be wired modem->OOMA-> router but I've got mine wired modem=>router->OOMA and it works fine. The reason for bringing this up is that the OOMA unit acts as your answering machine for retrieving voice mails. You want to be able to put the OOMA where it will be easily accessible. My modem is upstairs and I had to do a bit of "customization" in order to locate my OOMA unit on the first floor.
BTW, everything works great and I sure don't miss that $55/month AT&T bill. Good luck.
c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin »

Another vote for the Motorola SB6121. My experience with Comcast was horrible until purchasing my own modem. I had network issues every week. You would think their rental equipment would be the best match, but that is not always the case. I have not had a single network issue since installing the Motorola SB6121. I like the Netgear wireless routers - very dependable and easy to setup.

I tried OOMA a couple of years ago, but was very disappointed with the voice quality and constant static. The audio quality was much worse than a cheap cell phone. I eventually went with another VOIP service called Vonage. I have been very pleased with the Vonage voice quality and the number of free features provided. Everyone comments on the clarity of my voice during conference calls. The audio is clearer than my old AT&T land line. If you decide to go VOIP, I highly recommend using a Panasonic handset as your telephone.

Good luck,
c.Alvin
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

LifeIsGood wrote:...the OOMA unit acts as your answering machine for retrieving voice mails. You want to be able to put the OOMA where it will be easily accessible. My modem is upstairs and I had to do a bit of "customization" in order to locate my OOMA unit on the first floor.
As pointed out by others, the Ooma plays well with the Panny DECT phone system, and can utilize the Panny answering machine just fine, making placement of the Ooma more flexible. It doesn't necessarily have to be readily accessible unless using the second line or answering machine functions. I haven't touched mine since the install.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

The way you're asking the question and based on your response, I'd recommend against what you are proposing. This can be a simple process but could turn instantly into an expensive nightmare. You'll spend about $300 for a cable modem, wireless router, and the Ooma device and spend countless hours on hold with Comcast. Besides, a landline phone is safer in emergency situations because they still work in a blackout. Unless you have a technical guru to rely on, I recommend you stick with your current setup.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Frugal Al wrote:As pointed out by others, the Ooma plays well with the Panny DECT phone system, and can utilize the Panny answering machine just fine, making placement of the Ooma more flexible.
Do you recommend using the ooma voicemail or the answering machine that's on the phone?
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

Don't waste your money on the SB6121. You can pick up a used SB5101 for $20 on eBay. With a maximum download speed of 38 mbps, the only plan from my local cable company that exceeds that speed costs $100/month (Orange County, CA). By the time it gets out of date, you'll be able to pick up a new faster modem on the cheap.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

I use a SB6121 as well and works great. You will still need a wireless router. I do use google voice though since it is basically free except for the obi110 adapter I bought cheap. The problem is though you will need at least some basic technical knowledge since you deal with 3 devices (modem, router, ooma or similar device). They tend to work usually right out of the box but if something goes wrong it can be a pain to debug if you don't have at least a basic understanding.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

thebogledude wrote:Do you recommend using the ooma voicemail or the answering machine that's on the phone?
I agree with Sam, the answering machine/voice-mail system on the Ooma works very well and has a good feature set, but unless you're also using the Ooma handset (which seems to get poor reviews) you'll want to place the Ooma unit in a readily accessible area to physically check its voicemail/answering machine. I already had the Panasonic phone system and since it provides the remote access to its answering machine, I stayed with that.
Last edited by Frugal Al on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gd

Post by gd »

Slight digression- keep in mind that if your modem doesn't have a battery, it won't work in a power outage. The special modems Comcast requires for their telephony all have batteries that last about 8 hours. Of course, if all your telephones require separate AC power, that doesn't matter (I have an old ATT phone as backup that runs off the minimal power available over all phone jacks).

After trying for most of a year, I finally was able to buy and activate the correct modem for Comcast digital voice (Arris TM722, available at Best Buy for $150, must be purchased through in-store Comcast rep). They now charge $7/mo rental for an obsolete modem I figure I'd paid for after the first year or two. The higher cost of internet-only and additional services I've gotten used to through the Comcast telephone service (like email sent to me transcribing voice mail, and call logging and blocking) kept me from going the Ooma (or similar) route. Your questions are basic enough so you might consider the same, unless your home-based phone is not so important to you any more and you can put up with problems. One reason they charge rentals is to make it trouble-free for people who don't want such hassles.

I found your questions a little confusing-- if you don't have a wireless router now, I'm not clear that you need one unless you're expanding your capabilities at the same time. It might have been better to have specified how your current equipment is connected-- how you get iPad internet, and how the PCs are connected to the internet, and what you want different. The Comcast digital voice modems have minimal connection options; my old one did have a USB port the new one does not, but that's about it-- I think one LAN, one phone (two jacks, I think for 2 phone numbers).
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

gd wrote:The higher cost of internet-only and additional services I've gotten used to through the Comcast telephone service (like email sent to me transcribing voice mail, and call logging and blocking) kept me from going the Ooma (or similar) route.
These features are part of the Ooma Premier service, which is still less expensive than most phone services from the cable providers. VoiP is a real cash cow for the cable companies, often used as a loss leader the first year of service.
John McKeon

Post by John McKeon »

I have an Arris T722 Modem with backup battery. I had Comcast internet and voice. I switched to Ooma and it works fine and cancelled my voice with Comcast. All of my devices are working fine BUT the battery light on the modem is not lit which per manual must mean the battery is dead. I purchased a new battery from Amazon and installed but it still does not work. What am I doing wrong? I am a senior lady, retired and just trying to save money with Comcast and I could live without a backup battery but thought it might be nice. Not sure if it ever worked as I never had to use the old one. Is there something else I need to do to get the backup working? We did have a fire in the apartment building in September, I changed to Ooma in December and I am sorry I don't know when the 'battery light' went out.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! FYI - You are asking in a thread which is over 5 years old.

It's not a big deal, but I wanted to mention this in case anyone is answering an older post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

John McKeon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm I have an Arris T722 Modem with backup battery. I had Comcast internet and voice. I switched to Ooma and it works fine and cancelled my voice with Comcast. All of my devices are working fine BUT the battery light on the modem is not lit which per manual must mean the battery is dead. I purchased a new battery from Amazon and installed but it still does not work. What am I doing wrong? I am a senior lady, retired and just trying to save money with Comcast and I could live without a backup battery but thought it might be nice. Not sure if it ever worked as I never had to use the old one. Is there something else I need to do to get the backup working? We did have a fire in the apartment building in September, I changed to Ooma in December and I am sorry I don't know when the 'battery light' went out.
Have you been through a blackout where your phone line or Internet still worked? The reason I ask is that if there is a neighborhood black out, the Comcast node that provides your neighborhood with service would also be off. A battery backup for a modem is generally unnecessary.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

mmmodem wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:14 am Have you been through a blackout where your phone line or Internet still worked? The reason I ask is that if there is a neighborhood black out, the Comcast node that provides your neighborhood with service would also be off. A battery backup for a modem is generally unnecessary.
It probably depends on where the node is. I have been through a neighborhood blackout, my cable / internet and my voip setup still functioned until my UPS ran down. It was the first outage since dumping the land line and it lasted 2.5 hours. All four of us had cell phones so phone was not a big deal. Not being able to use the over / stove (all electric) was the bigger issue. Forced us to go out to eat as the power went out as I was just starting to make supper...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin