POLL: Would you buy an overpriced Boglehead tee-shirt?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How much would you pay? Check ALL options that apply.

I am voting in this poll.
31%
I would not buy one because it's just not my style to advertise my investment philosophy on my clothing.
29%
I would not buy one because even the cheapest is too expensive.
9%
$15, including nothing for Bogleheads
3%
$16, including $1 markup for Bogleheads
3%
$18, including $3 markup for Bogleheads
3%
$20, including $5 markup for Bogleheads.
9%
$20, including nothing for Bogleheads
1%
$21, including $1 markup for Bogleheads
1%
$23, including $3 markup for Bogleheads
1%
$25, including $5 markup for Bogleheads.
6%
$25, including nothing for Bogleheads
0%
$26, including $1 markup for Bogleheads
No votes
$28, including $3 markup for Bogleheads
0%
$30, including $5 markup for Bogleheads.
1%
$30, including nothing for Bogleheads
No votes
$31, including $1 markup for Bogleheads
No votes
$33, including $3 markup for Bogleheads
0%
$35, including $5 markup for Bogleheads.
1%

Total votes: 280

Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

POLL: Would you buy an overpriced Boglehead tee-shirt?

Post by nisiprius »

This is a companion to the thread Bogleheads T-Shirt Possible Designs. For the purposes of this poll, I am assuming that the only practical way to make this happen is to use an on-demand service like Cafepress, because "traditional" routes would require someone to front money to make a few hundred shirts, manage shipping, collect money, deal with unsold merchandise, and basically run a small business. Cafepress--I'm just using them as an example because I've used them--can, at least, be set up at no cost and a small amount of up-front work.

I am using "overpriced" to drive home the reality that this kind of merchandise is going to cost significantly more than equivalent merchandise produced in quantity.

Keep in mind that a service like Cafepress is probably not a good way to raise money for Bogleheads. Some years ago, Wikipedia--which was probably as big as Bogleheads at the time--tried it as a fundraiser, and gave up after a few months, having received, if I recall correctly, a dollar figure in the high two digits. Worse yet, it could even detract from fundraising--it might be at the expense of donations--since buying a $25 tee-shirt "feels like" you've donated $25 even if the organization receives only $1 or $2.

Nevertheless, it is a way in which Boglehead-themed garb and tschotchkes could be made available. One potential use would be to wear before the annual Bogleheads' meeting to recognize other attendees prior to registration.

Please answer the poll strictly in terms of what you would do personally. And please assume for purposes of the poll that the merchandise is, inevitably, going to feel "overpriced," and that there will only be a single design--no choice--and that it will not be perfectly to your taste. Just to give a rough idea, this is one PROPOSAL that has been made. For discussion of this or artwork, etc. please go back to the Bogleheads T-Shirt Possible Designs.

How much would YOU pay for something sorta-kinda like Kashi's conceptual proposal?

Assume that:
a) Stated price does NOT include shipping. Mentally add about $6 for ground shipping.

b) Quality of merchandise is not shoddy nor wonderful, about what you expect, your average sorta-OK T-shirt, much like the ones you might buy at a concert or seaside tourist shop.

c) "Markup" means the actual amount the Bogleheads forum would receive as a donation--it would be added on to the base price set by the on-demand service.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Sally

Re: POLL: Would you buy an overpriced Boglehead tee-shirt?

Post by Sally »

I don't buy apparel that is essentially a billboard for anything; I don't provide free advertising for any business or entity; and, I would not consider advertising my business/financial decisions. Of course, I also do not post my whereabouts on facebook or twitter or anything else!
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I would not buy a tee shirt without a pocket for my smart phone.
YellowJacket
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I would buy a coffee mug. Overpriced t shirt, no thanks. Ill just make a donation and skip the shirt.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
kommisarrex

Post by kommisarrex »

I second the idea for a coffee mug or travel mug.
Occupier

Post by Occupier »

I agree the Tshirt needs a pocket. Dave
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I like the idea of coffee mugs too. I'd make way more use of it than another T-shirt.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I like the idea of coffee mugs too. I'd make way more use of it than another T-shirt.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I don't drink coffee.

(I voted for the second option, but I forgot to chose the first option.)
Gordon
peppers

Post by peppers »

I'm in for 25. Kid sizes? I'll need three for the grandchildren.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

gkaplan wrote: (I voted for the second option, but I forgot to chose the first option.)
This is the type of poll where you can change your vote, or so it appears.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

gkaplan wrote:I don't drink coffee.

(I voted for the second option, but I forgot to chose the first option.)
You could put water in it :happy
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

With coffee cups/mugs you don't need a size. Color and even quality matter less than with a T-shirt.

Heck, even a magnet would be nice. My church had a bunch custom made that cost less than $1 each.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

sscritic wrote:This is the type of poll where you can change your vote, or so it appears.
I tried to add the first option, but I got a "You have already voted" (or something like that) response.
Gordon
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I don't want to get things too complicated, or makes this sound like a pitch for one particular on-demand service, but the way one particular service works is this.

Basically, you can choose from a wide variety of, I would guess perhaps a couple of hundred items of apparel--long-sleeved T-shirts, short-sleeved T-shirts, sweatshirts, infant bibs, thongs (!)--and tchotschkes. Several different kinds of mug, keychains, mouse pads, coasters, balloons, iPod cases, etc. etc. If you opt for the free web "storefront" you can offer any of these merchandise items you want. You can even have different images on different kinds of item. The only thing you can't do is have a choice of more than one design per item.

And even when you have the images all set, it does take maybe 15-30 minutes or so to "design" each item. You can just upload an artwork item once and use it for several different items, more often than not you realize it won't quite look right--the image for a mug should have a slightly different height/width proportion than for a shirt, etc. etc.

But in point of fact if anyone went ahead with this approach they would probably decide to offer mugs as well as T-shirts.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I tried a second time, and it did take my added vote.
Gordon
peppers

Post by peppers »

Please, no coffee cups. We have more coffee cups and mugs than Walmart.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
mike143

Post by mike143 »

No, I have already donated: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1#p1527501

I educate those willing to listen. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink....I am ready for some force feeding.
Last edited by mike143 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Only if it ships via USPS. :happy
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Groundhog wrote:Only if it ships via USPS. :happy
Subsidized shipping, no thank you. :mrgreen:
Levett

Post by Levett »

Is this serious?!

Lev
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I enjoy my Boglehead affiliation as I have enjoyed my other web affiliations over the years, including FlyerTalk. I'd be happy to purchase a T shirt if it were a decent fundraiser for the site, but only if the t-shirt is reasonable quality, something I'd actually wear. I recently ran an 8K and for $26 got a really nice, soft, organic cotton/bamboo t-shirt that fits well. Totally worth it.
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

The poll says to select ALL that applies. I find it interesting that 6 people are willing to pay $20, but only 1 would pay $15. :confused
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Only one person would pay $20 with nothing for bogleheads. You are comparing $15 to $20 with $5 of it going to bogleheads. They are paying the same for the t-shirt, but using one stamp instead of two (one for the t-shirt and one for the donation). I think it is very bogleheadish to save on postage. 44 cents here, 44 cents there, and pretty soon you have early retirement.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I would prefer an understated golf shirt in size XL, no pocket...
Attempted new signature...
mike143

Post by mike143 »

sscritic wrote:Only one person would pay $20 with nothing for bogleheads. You are comparing $15 to $20 with $5 of it going to bogleheads. They are paying the same for the t-shirt, but using one stamp instead of two (one for the t-shirt and one for the donation). I think it is very bogleheadish to save on postage. 44 cents here, 44 cents there, and pretty soon you have early retirement.
So you are suggesting a ACH draft? I am down for that, a monthly deduction?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FWIW, my feeling is that when folks overpay for a tee shirt, they'll feel like they're actually making a meaningful donation to the forum when, in fact, only a minimal amount would actually be donated to help with the operational expenses of the forum.

I'd much rather see all donations be made directly to the forum. If you want to buy a tee shirt, you'd simply be buying a tee shirt. It wouldn't be a fund-raiser for the forum. The two items would be totally separate.

JMHO.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

The answer I wanted was not listed.

I would have picked: Depends on what it looks like.

I like the compass rose on the front and if that's all it had, I'd probably get one. If it also had the ship on the back, I wouldn't.

All that said, I agree with Mel's thoughts.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

Curlyq wrote:I don't wear T-shirts, so would want to purchase a good-sized coffee mug. Thank you.
How about a Boglehead bikini then? Maybe it'd be cheaper because it would be less material? :shock:
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

grap0013 wrote:How about a Boglehead bikini then? Maybe it'd be cheaper because it would be less material? :shock:
With a strategically placed compass and ship it would then look more like a treasure map. :D
I'm with Wizard on a high quality polo shirt with a subtle logo.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Mel Lindauer wrote:FWIW, my feeling is that when folks overpay for a tee shirt, they'll feel like they're actually making a meaningful donation to the forum when, in fact, only a minimal amount would actually be donated to help with the operational expenses of the forum. I'd much rather see all donations be made directly to the forum. If you want to buy a tee shirt, you'd simply be buying a tee shirt. It wouldn't be a fund-raiser for the forum. The two items would be totally separate. JMHO
This is a concern of mine, too. And my own preference is $0 markup--if you want a T-shirt, buy a T-shirt; if you want to donate, donate. But let me be clear: the merchandise is "overpriced" because of being made on demand and most will regard it as "overpriced" even if there is zero donation included.
Jerilynn wrote:The answer I wanted was not listed. I would have picked: Depends on what it looks like.
The problem with that is that it doesn't provide useful information. That's why I said to assume that that "there will only be a single design--no choice--and that it will not be perfectly to your taste." In your case, you've basically said that you won't buy it if it has the ship on the back--that is, you won't buy a shirt unless you really have a positive liking for the design. Basically, I think that means you probably wouldn't buy one.
letsgobobby wrote:I'd be happy to purchase a T shirt if it were a decent fundraiser for the site, but only if the t-shirt is reasonable quality, something I'd actually wear. I recently ran an 8K and for $26 got a really nice, soft, organic cotton/bamboo t-shirt that fits well. Totally worth it.
The problem is that the economics are very different for a planned event. Once the event is a given, then you have fairly good idea of how many shirts they need--especially if shirts must are part of, or must be pre-ordered with the event registration. There's registration money coming in, so fronting enough money to have a few hundred shirts made is not a problem. And shipping is not a problem, because they are handed out on the day of the event, or are included in packages that need to be mailed out necessary.

The reason I intentionally asked about "overpriced" shirts is that I don't think "make a few hundred in each size" is workable for Bogleheads. The price of having a firm like the one I've mentioned assume all the burdens of shipping, and manufacturing each individual item to order, is that it costs. A "really nice shirt" at a "totally worth it" price is possible when you're ordering a batch of a few hundred (how many 3XL's?), not when you're using an on-demand service. For example, the firm I've mentioned does offer a "custom organic men's fitted T-shirt." Is it a "really nice shirt?" Oh, probably. But the base price is $28 and that only includes printing on the front. Add printing on the back and it goes up. For a dark shirt instead of a light one, it goes up even more. Add a markup so you actually make money when one is sold and it does up more. And there's shipping.
gary11

Post by gary11 »

I would not buy one because it's just not my style to advertise my investment philosophy on my clothing.
Amen! I still might have M* t-shirt that I won for something long time ago as I have hardly wore it for same reason.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Well, this looks interesting. The poll actually be seems to be showing a sort of consensus. First, there is mild interest, looks like maybe 1/5th of all people responding to the poll would consider buying one. Second, and this surprises me, there's strong consensus for baking a $5 donation into the price of the shirt. Third, there's a fairly firm upper limit of $25--$5 donation leaving $20 to pay for the shirt.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

T-shirt, no. Coffee mug (dishwasher/microwave safe) - yes, or straight outright donation.
It seems the actual margin dedicated to the forum is much too small.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

nisiprius wrote:Well, this looks interesting. The poll actually be seems to be showing a sort of consensus. First, there is mild interest, looks like maybe 1/5th of all people responding to the poll would consider buying one. Second, and this surprises me, there's strong consensus for baking a $5 donation into the price of the shirt. ...
The question then it seems is whether that $5 donation would be, as Mel put it earlier, a "meaningful" or"minimal" donation to help with the forum's operational expenses. I agree with him that all donations should be made directly to the forum.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Are the respondents really mentally including the shipping charge? Speaking as a customer (rather than someone who might benefit from T-shirt sales), I might pay $15 just to have one, but $21 surpasses my personal threshold for a T-shirt.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I do really like Kashi's design. However, I would probably not buy one for a few reasons.
-I really don't wear t-shirts much at all.
-I wouldn't want to be "advertising" anything related to my finances by wearing the shirt in public. Even though much of the general public probably has no idea what Vanguard even is, I don't need people speculating that I'm some "rich investor guy."
-Shirt sizes tend to vary greatly from one maker to another. I don't buy shirts anymore without being able to try them on first. I've bought shirts online in the past only to find that despite being "my size" they were either so small I couldn't get them on or so big that it was like wearing a full-body cape. Plus I've found that t-shirts tend to shrink a bit the first time they are washed as well.

I would buy a bogleheads coffee mug though.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

I'd buy one if I felt like being on the losing end of a wedgie.
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Yes, I would like to purchase several Boglehead t-shirts when they become available @ $20.00 each + $5.00 for the forum. Thank you for the, "reality check."

And of course,"overpriced," is a relative term. When you believe in something strongly enough, you tend to be happy to get the word out. I have no problem in being a "billboard" for Mr. Bogle, and the Bogleheads. 8-)
Best wishes, | Kathleen
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

There isn't a T-shirt made worth $26. A donation to the site makes more sense.
scone

Post by scone »

I'd rather have a bobblehead of Jack Bogle, like the one on the retirement book! :happy
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

scone wrote:I'd rather have a bobblehead of Jack Bogle, like the one on the retirement book! :happy
+1
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

I'm a tee shirt junkie for not available in stores tee shirts. Whatever gets made, I'll buy one :sharebeer
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Groundhog wrote:
scone wrote:I'd rather have a bobblehead of Jack Bogle, like the one on the retirement book! :happy
+1
See this post of mine regarding the existing Bogle Bobblehead: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1#p1533881
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
camper

Post by camper »

I would like a Boglehead T-shirt. I still think the back of that shirt is too busy. I'm not a fan of the boat. I made a suggestion on a T-shirt design at the beginning of the original thread. I would be willing to pony up more than I would normally spend on a T-shirt for a Boglehead T-shirt. Heck back in my younger and dumber days, I would spend $25 on simple Ralph Lauren Polo T-shirts. :shock: