Looking for a Good Historical Fiction Series

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

I like the 18th century as a time frame, Europe or N. America as a geographical area, military action/espionage as a background theme, but I'm open to other areas/timeframes/themes. I really like nautical fiction, but I think I've read pretty much all that's available. Any ideas?

Thanks,
gatorman
Penguin

Re: Looking for a Good Historical Fiction Series

Post by Penguin »

I recommend Bernard Cornwell. He wrote a series of Novels about Sharpe fighting during that period.
Jon
rixer

Post by rixer »

You might try "The Bastard" series.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I have two recommendations:
(1) The Sharpe novel series by Bernard Cornwell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_%28novel_series%29 In addition to the novels there is a series of 16 DVDs based on the Richard Sharpe character.
(2) Horatio Hornblower novels by C. S. Forester http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower In addition there is a series of 8 DVDs based on the young Hornblower character plus a 1951 movie starring Gregory Peck as Captain Horatio Hornblower.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
theCase

Post by theCase »

David Poyer wrote a 3 book series of historical fiction following a character through the Civil War in the U.S. Navy. The first book is called "Fire on the Waters".

While generally not a fan of historical fiction, I've always enjoyed Poyer's novels of the modern Navy. Based on the author I read the trilogy and found it to be very enjoyable. If you have any interest in naval fiction I recommend David Poyer's many books.
nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 »

The Last of the Mohicans and The Deerslayer from The Leatherstocking Tales series are both pretty good.
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard
rr2

Post by rr2 »

Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser

The setting is worldwide. Stories are great and a lot of fun and extremely well researched with extensive endnotes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... s=flashman
millscd63

Post by millscd63 »

It's not Europe or North America but Wilbur Smith's Courtney series is excellent!
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Penguin wrote:I recommend Bernard Cornwell. He wrote a series of Novels about Sharpe fighting during that period.
I can 2nd these, they are riveting.

Also ones that got me very interested in historical fiction were Rabble in Arms, Northwest Passage, and the rest by Kenneth Roberts. NW Passage taught me what it meant to be burned at the stake. Sheesh.
I highly recommend them.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

The three part series of fact based novels about the Civil War by Michael Shaara then continued by his son Jeffrey Shaara is excellent.

The Killer Angels (1974)
Gods and Generals (1996)
The Last Full Measure (1998)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Same setting as the Horatio Hornblower novels, British Navy circa 1800 so not quite eighteenth century. I love the Horatio Hornblower novels. I love the Aubrey/Maturin novels. They are utterly different from each other, you really need to shift gears going from one to the other.

Jeff Shaara has at least one book set during the American revolutionary war--yes, two, Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause. I haven't read those yet but all of the books of his I've read are excellent, and I plan to read all of them eventually.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

gatorman wrote:I like the 18th century as a time frame, Europe or N. America as a geographical area, military action/espionage as a background theme, but I'm open to other areas/timeframes/themes. I really like nautical fiction, but I think I've read pretty much all that's available. Any ideas?

Thanks,
gatorman
Not your timeframe but great author with series books W.E.B Griffen
http://www.webgriffin.com/home.html
Try the Corps and Brotherhood of War
John
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Unread postby gatorman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 am
I like the 18th century as a time frame, Europe or N. America as a geographical area, military action/espionage as a background theme, but I'm open to other areas/timeframes/themes. I really like nautical fiction, but I think I've read pretty much all that's available. Any ideas?

Thanks,
gatorman
Hello gatorman, if you like military action/espionage as a background theme, you might want to take a look at the writings of Charles McCarry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_McCarry. He is terrific.

It's been 30+ years, but I found his writing style, and the subject matter of his novels to be most compelling - a lot like John LeCarre. Read them in the order he wrote them for most enjoyment; and development and understanding of the hero, Paul Christopher - The Miernik Dossier, The Tears of Autumn, The Secret Lovers, The Better Angels and The Last Supper.

Really good stuff. I may have just talked myself into re-reading them.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

nisiprius wrote:The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Same setting as the Horatio Hornblower novels, British Navy circa 1800 so not quite eighteenth century. I love the Horatio Hornblower novels. I love the Aubrey/Maturin novels. They are utterly different from each other, you really need to shift gears going from one to the other.

Jeff Shaara has at least one book set during the American revolutionary war--yes, two, Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause. I haven't read those yet but all of the books of his I've read are excellent, and I plan to read all of them eventually.
+1 on the Aubrey/Maturin series. Truly excellent.
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.
daggerboard

Post by daggerboard »

grok87 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Same setting as the Horatio Hornblower novels, British Navy circa 1800 so not quite eighteenth century. I love the Horatio Hornblower novels. I love the Aubrey/Maturin novels. They are utterly different from each other, you really need to shift gears going from one to the other.

+1 on the Aubrey/Maturin series. Truly excellent.
cheers,
+all I got on Aubrey Maturin - the best series of books I have ever read. They turned snippets from some of the books into the Master & Commander movie which gives you an inkling of what books are about. But boy at the books better than the movie.

Sharpe series and Hornblower series are also very good.

Those three series together and you have the next couple years worth of reading covered :)

One of the best biographies from that time-period I have read is the Nelson bio by John Sugden (cant wait for him to finally release Part II).
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

There are many. I love reading these types of books, particularly those set in the Napoleonic Wars.

Check out this site for ideas:

http://www.mcbooks.com/index.php
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

http://crimethrutime.com/timeline/series1.htm#18th

As the name says, these are crime/detection novels.

There are some links to other sites and to listings for other time periods.

Vic
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

Penguin wrote:I recommend Bernard Cornwell. He wrote a series of Novels about Sharpe fighting during that period.
I've read every one of his books in the Sharpe series, and they were great. I've also read his series on the Civil War, also great.
Live Oak

Post by Live Oak »

rr2 wrote:Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser

The setting is worldwide. Stories are great and a lot of fun and extremely well researched with extensive endnotes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... s=flashman

Another vote for the Flashman series.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

After you have read the O'Brian series then you can see if it was ever equalled.

But really that first, and foremost.

That would take me towards Hornblower, and also the Shaara novels (the Mexican American war one 'Gone for Soldiers' is supposed to be the best after the Civil War trilogy).

CS Forrester also wrote 'The Gun' and 'Death to the French' 2 linked novels set in the Peninsular War in Spain (ie Napoleon).\\

But in fact my favourite Forrester is 'The Good Shepherd' about a WW2 US destroyer captain in the North Atlantic.

On that theme, Nicholas Monserrat 'The Cruel Sea' is without peer. He also wrote 'The Master Mariner' about a sailor down through the ages, condemned to live forever because of cowardice (I think he died before he finished it).

If you like thrillers with a historical bent, each of the Antony Price novels, set in the 'department of research' of the British spy agency, has a historical theme- -they are hard to find now, but there are some real classics around Dr. David Audley ferreting out Soviet moles, using his knowledge of military history.

Someone mentioned Charles McCarry. He is the spy novelist without peer, I think, kind of the Raymond Chandler of spy novelists. Along with John Le Carre.
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

For something completely different consider the 1632 series by Eric Flint and a variety of co authors. Its really alternative history and could be calleds science fiction for only about 1 page(the forward). Basically In the the first chapter or two of the first book ,"1632"a West Virginia late 20th century town is transported (they have no idea how or way (though the reader knows from the forward)to the year 1632. Its obviously very difficult to cope and over the course of the series they intereact with many famous and less famous individuals and have a major impact on the people of the times and vice versa.
The charcters are well drawn , several of the books have a number of battle on both land and sea, there is political intrigue etc The books are most easily obtainable as a paperback, but are also available as hard cover. I am uncertain of their e-book status. There are now at least 10 novels or collections of short stories in print and more are being written/
mickens16

Post by mickens16 »

I didn't see this recommended already, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Herman Wouk books: Winds of War and War and Remembrance. Also, the Caleb Carr books: The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness.
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

millscd63 wrote:It's not Europe or North America but Wilbur Smith's Courtney series is excellent!
+1 on Wilbur Smith. Although I'd go with River God, The Seventh Scroll, Warlock.

Also, if you can find it the best trilogy (actually 4 books) I've ever read in the genre. Henryk Sienkiewicz, With Fire and Sword, Fire in the Steppe, The Deluge,
written over 100 years ago with modern translation by W.S. Kuniczak. These are considered national treasures in Poland and mandatory reading in schools.

-B
four7s

Post by four7s »

If you like Egyptian history try.........Ramses by Christian Jacq. It's a five volume history of ancient Egypt during the reign of Ramses. It's probably more fiction than non fiction but is still loosely based historical events.
lazyone

Post by lazyone »

I highly recommend the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. It is a trilogy spanning the 17th and 18th century. Highly entertaning and I'm surprised they haven't been brought up yet.

The individual books are:
Quicksilver
The Confusion
The System of the World
Timoneer

Post by Timoneer »

Valuethinker wrote: CS Forrester also wrote 'The Gun' and 'Death to the French' 2 linked novels set in the Peninsular War in Spain (ie Napoleon).\\
'Death to the French' is usually found in the US as 'Rifleman Dodd', and is likely the model for Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe. In fact, Cornwell cleverly included private Dodd as one of Sharpe's men during the appropriate period of CSF's story.

Getting back to historical nautical fiction, historian CN Parkinson was an admirer of Forester, writing the 'Life and TImes of Horatio Hornblower', which a high ranking US admiral thought was a real biography. Parkinson also wrote the six book Delancey series in which he tried to fill in a couple of gaps that CSF had left with HH.

Dewey Lambdin's hero, Alan Lewrie, seems inspired by George MacDonald Fraser's bawdy rogue Flashman. Most of the books are set in the 18th century. Lewrie has the knack of showing up for every major nautical action from the American Revolutionary war to Nelson's time.

Other historian/novelists worth checking out are Dudley Pope (Ramage) and Richard Woodman (Drinkwater).

For classic nautical fiction, try Frederick Marryat, the forerunner of both CSF and Patrick O'Brian. Marryat began his naval career as a midshipman to Lord Cochrane, and became one of the most popular naval authors of the 19th century. American Fenimore Cooper also was a naval officer in the early 1800's. He wrote numerous works of nautical fiction, but they are largely unreadable, with the possible exception of Wing and Wing, which is interesting because it is one of the few in which the hero is a French naval officer.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

Not exactly a series, but a couple of James Clavell's novels have a nautical theme and are set before the 20th century.

Shogun: set in the early 17th century, describes what happens to the English pilot of a dutch ship that is shipwrecked off feudal Japan.

Taipan: set in the middle of the 19th century, an English merchant captain uses (and is used by) his Chinese partners as he creates a trading empire for himself and helps to found Hong Kong.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

lazyone wrote:I highly recommend the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. It is a trilogy spanning the 17th and 18th century. Highly entertaning and I'm surprised they haven't been brought up yet.

The individual books are:
Quicksilver
The Confusion
The System of the World
Ditto.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
Pam

Post by Pam »

I've enjoyed the first two books in Patrick Easter's recent series, The Watermen and River of Fire. The hero is part of the new marine police on the Thames in late 18th century London. The vivid writing evokes the period with a light touch.

Pam
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

+2 for Wilbur Smith. And I also would start with River God (ancient Egypt and the Pharaohs), Seventh Scroll, Warlock, Courtney Series, Ballantine Books, all the way to Mandela in South Africa. Covers all the Africa books from B.C. to present. All his books are really good except the last one got a little far fetched.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Currently working on the 2nd in the "Century Trilogy" by Ken Follett, which follows 4 or 5 families thru the 20th century. Lots of diplomacy/international relations and great historical detail. Also really enjoyed his two books set in Medieval Europe, Fall of the Giants and World Without End.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Thank you all for your many good ideas. I appreciate all who took the time to the respond.
gatorman
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

[quote="Blackwood"]Not exactly a series, but a couple of James Clavell's novels have a nautical theme and are set before the 20th century.

Shogun: set in the early 17th century, describes what happens to the English pilot of a dutch ship that is shipwrecked off feudal Japan.

Taipan: set in the middle of the 19th century, an English merchant captain uses (and is used by) his Chinese partners as he creates a trading empire for himself and helps to found Hong Kong.[/quote]

And "Noble House" which build on "Taipan".

Another series to consider:
Ken Follett's Century trilogy( 20th century) - The Fall of Giants, Winter of the World and a yet to be published third book.
Pillars of the Earth and World Without End - also by Ken Follett.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

gatorman wrote:Thank you all for your many good ideas. I appreciate all who took the time to the respond.
gatorman
And none of us has mentioned James Michener. Which vary in quality (Tales of the South Pacific won him the Pulitzer, I believe).

'The Source' about the Holy Land through the millenia is good.

So is 'Chesapeake' about the Bay area.

There were many others. I think he had a team doing research and did good research, but the books did not always work.

But for historical (not necessarily military historical) he was without peer for a long time.

If you want military historical then, really, there are 2 names

CS Forrester and Patrick O'Brian

Forrester is the originator (Hornblower) and O'Brian (Aubry & Maturin) surpassed him.

All the rest (Douglas Reeman/ Alexander Kent - Captain Richard Bolitho, Dudley Pope - Ramager, Cornwell - Sharp) etc. are also-rans. To give Shaara-- father and son-- their due, Killer Angels is special in a very different way (almost a lecture in military history, but a painless one). You'll never forget Co. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the 20th Maine and the Battle of the Little Round Top after reading it.

I'd give Nicholas Monserrat full credit for 'being there' in The Cruel Sea (WW2). Both the book and the movie are deservedly famous (and somewhat autobiographical). On WW2 Len Deighton wrote a couple (in particular 'Bomber') which are immaculately researched and well written. (Deighton made his name on spy novels, and 'The Ipcress File' and the ones around it (both movie and books) are very good-- the movies had Michael Caine as the spy).

Note David Drake writes 'Science Fiction' but his whole Belisarius series (with Eric Flint) is military-historical, and his 'With The Lightnings' series is based on O'Brian. Hammers Slammers I can take it or leave it (I think Jerry Pournelle did the Mercenaries in Space better with John Christian Falkenberg, and so did Roland Greene) but other novels like Ranks of Bronze, Killer, The Forlorn Hope etc. are good. Drake read Classics, and his novels (sometimes quite shamelessly) borrow from Greek and Roman history and legends. He's also very good on internecine politics.
blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo »

Harry Turtledove wrote a series of an alternate WWII, beginning with "In the Balance" with three subsequent books. He's also tackled the Civil War and other scenarios. Be warned that WWII is thrown off track by an invasion of aliens, but it's a great tale.
Larry
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Flashman is the series for true bogleheads.
Fraser gave Flashman a lifespan from 1822 to 1915 and a birth-date of 5 May. Flashman's first and middle names were created for the character as Flashman's first name is not given in Hughes's novel. Fraser uses them to make an ironic allusion to Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey, and one of the heroes of Waterloo, who cuckolded the Duke of Wellington's brother Henry Wellesley and later - in one of the period's more celebrated scandals - married Wellesley's ex-wife.
Who here doesn't love Wellington and Wellesley? Or at least their wives?
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I have found "Hell on Wheels" to be an interesting TV series on AMC. It concerns the building of the transcontinental railroad ( Union Pacific) in the 1860s. Unfortunately the second season just ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_on_W ... TV_series)
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
runthetrails

Post by runthetrails »

My favorite historical fiction is Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series. It is set during the Hundred Years' War. The Sharpe series, which others have already recommended, is also excellent.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Courts of Illusion. Don't be put off by the bodice ripper cover, its a good read, even for somewhat manly men.

Not a series, and out of print but should be easy to find. Its about the Lambert Simnel episode.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

If nobody has mentioned them (and I skimmed so somebody might have), I would recommend Gore Vidal's historical novels, from "Creation" and "Julian" all the way through to his American series, beginning with the excellent "Burr."

Vidal's "Lincoln" is particularly good.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

http://www.historicalnovels.info/index.html
Try this site for 5000 historical novels.
LarryG
Timoneer

Post by Timoneer »

sscritic wrote:Flashman is the series for true bogleheads.
Fraser gave Flashman a lifespan from 1822 to 1915 and a birth-date of 5 May. Flashman's first and middle names were created for the character as Flashman's first name is not given in Hughes's novel. Fraser uses them to make an ironic allusion to Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey, and one of the heroes of Waterloo, who cuckolded the Duke of Wellington's brother Henry Wellesley and later - in one of the period's more celebrated scandals - married Wellesley's ex-wife.
Who here doesn't love Wellington and Wellesley? Or at least their wives?
What would Jack Bogle read?

Take a trip to the Vanguard campus in Malvern, PA and cruise along Admiral Nelson Blvd past buildings named for HMS Victory, Audacious, Swiftsure, Majestic, Goliath, and Zealous. Talk to a Vanguard 'crew' member, and he will tell you about their Admiral funds.
If still in doubt, gaze upon this portrait of the Admiral himself,
http://c.hub.aa.com/issueimages/medium/26927-1.jpg

Jack Bogle would surely read nautical fiction.
walnut

Post by walnut »

Not a series, but take a look at Thomas B. Costain.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
jersey789girl

Post by jersey789girl »

Aubrey/Maturin series about the Age of Sail - Master and Commander is the first one I think. Also Ken Follett has several. I am currently reading Fall of Giants about WWI.
rwcox123

Post by rwcox123 »

Three of the Eric Flint series mentioned earlier are available as free e-book downloads:
1632 = http://www.baenebooks.com/p-379-1632.aspx
1633 = http://www.baenebooks.com/p-378-1633.aspx
1634: The Baltic War = http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/13-T ... /index.htm -- this latter is not in a common e-book format, but you can download it in .doc format, save it to PDF, and load it into a PDF reader
Beyond all hope, set free to light.
SHL

Post by SHL »

I'm reading O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series now, and really enjoying it; currently on the third book, H.M.S. Surprise.
Stephen
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

SHL wrote:I'm reading O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series now, and really enjoying it; currently on the third book, H.M.S. Surprise.
They are really good. I've read the entire series twice.
gatorman
Firewood42

Post by Firewood42 »

Anybody who likes fictional history should read James Michener's books.
Last edited by Firewood42 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

Kleopatra

Pharaoh This is volume II of Kleopatra.

By Karen Essex