Anyone using Quicken 2013?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KarlJ

Re: Anyone using Quicken 2013?

Post by KarlJ »

I have been using Quicken 2013 for a couple of months on a Vista PC with no major issues, although I have avoided using the mobile app so far. Entering mortgage payments is more combersome compared to Quicken 2010 that I had been using previously. Installing updates has caused Quicken to "disappear" where Quicken cannot be initiated, but logging off then logging back on has fixed this. All these are minor issues in my opinion, as the major functionality of the software works very smoothly.
totanetu

Post by totanetu »

It's not that overpriced though. You can buy a sealed in retail box Quicken 2013 at www.quickenstore.net for less than on eBay, Amazon and such.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

I finally bought a copy last week, as I received the dreaded "your three years will be up this April, no more downloads for you!" warning message. It should be here this week.

Based on the feedback from this forum, I don't expect many problems by now. It seems after 10-12 updates they have it working and stable. :oops:
totanetu wrote:It's not that overpriced though. You can buy a sealed in retail box Quicken 2013 at http://www.quickenstore.net for less than on eBay, Amazon and such.
Not for me. There are several sellers on eBay, very highly rated, that have new retail boxes, still sealed, for less than that site. With free shipping too!
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
cynbar

Post by cynbar »

I just upgraded to Quicken 2013 and cannot find the PLANNING tab that is advertised in the instructions to set up a budget. When I called Quicken Technical Support, they said I would have to purchase the Customer Support package ($299.95) or pay $79.95 for a one question answer. I just want to set up a budget and tracking system within Quicken so I don't have to do it on an Excel spreadsheet. Has anyone figured this out? There is no Planning Tab that I can find. I'm in Vista 64 bit, Windows 7 :annoyed
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

cynbar..

I have Quicken 2013. If you are missing the planning bar you need to go to "view" on the menu bar. 8 selections down is "Tasks to Show". Planning is the fourth one down.

It will show as the fourth tab. 3rd from the right of Home.

Keep your 79.99 away from Intuit!
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Just noticed a few things funny about Quicken. On my savings goals, the retirement one has 500k moved to it but is shows nothing for progress.
The college and cash reserve do show the progress bars.
Still can't add asset classes from the defaults they setup which irritates me.
My kids NYS 529 plans cant be setup with direct connect, but they can in Mint which Intuit owns.
Also, can't setup Treasury Direct with direct connect either which seems like a major institution not supported.
Who else has some Quicken quirks they would like to share?
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I use '11 with no plans to upgrade until I have to.

Bring back Money...please!
Market345

Post by Market345 »

I've been using it for a few weeks. Not much is different from 2012, except for the smartphone app which is nice.

@SarahShaw: the app works fine on my Samsung S3.

Make sure to install the R10 release as the early releases were very buggy according to the Intuit forums.
bUU

Post by bUU »

That planning section keeps on crashing for me. I've reported the bug using the automated operation several times.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In case anyone missed this thread, I just got a free copy of Quicken 2013 Deluxe. See: Quicken Deluxe 2013 Free with TurboTax Purchase at Amazon
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Furynation

Post by Furynation »

LadyGeek wrote:In case anyone missed this thread, I just got a free copy of Quicken 2013 Deluxe. See: Quicken Deluxe 2013 Free with TurboTax Purchase at Amazon
Bummer! This really makes me wish I would've waited to upgrade :oops:
dbogacz

Post by dbogacz »

I found your blog while searching for a solution to an issue. I have used Quicken for years. The other day, I got a notice that my version of Quicken was going to cease working and that I had to update. I updated to Quicken 2013 and my laptop has not been usable since. The update corrupted windows installer service and now I can not start Outlook, Excel, or Word. I can not install anything nor uninstall anything. I can not update windows NOR can I restore to a restore point. Microsoft Mr FIX ITs do not function. I would be very careful about upgrading. My laptop worked just fine until a minute after the upgrade. And if you want a exercise in futility,contact Quicken for support. Neither phone nor email has been any help. The replies I get do not reflect that they read my email, or they can not read English. The phone support was equally frustrating and he insulted me to boot.
feel free to contact me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! This forum is primarily for investing, but let's take a shot at your problem. An inability to do anything suggests that your registry got hosed, but you stated that you are unable to do a restore.

Have you tried running a restore point in safe mode (F8 on boot)? If not, you may be forced to restore from a backup and go from there. I suggest copying important files to a remote hard drive or USB stick before attempting to fix your PC.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JRHill

Post by JRHill »

Sigh. Like others I have used Quicken since the days of DOS. Over the years I have experienced many, many errors and upgrade problems. I know I have to upgrade my Q2010 to be able to keep download functionality. So this AM I have been reviewing the various issues with Q2013. Yuk. Then I thought to look at Q2012 hoping that they got that right after over a year and found about the same result. I even looked for an alternative for Quicken Premier and wasn't motivated by anything I've seen.

I'm hoping this post will spur some new info to this thread and help to answer the question: Being forced to update, which one: Q2012 or Q2013 Premier?
tdirgins

Post by tdirgins »

I am in exactly the same boat. I know I need to upgrade to maintain download capability but I am dreading the thought of all the issues. I have 15 years of transactions so I will be backing up like crazy. I am going to wait as long as possible (i.e. April) to see if most of the issues are resolved. :annoyed
prudent

Post by prudent »

JRHill wrote: I'm hoping this post will spur some new info to this thread and help to answer the question: Being forced to update, which one: Q2012 or Q2013 Premier?
I typically buy a year-old copy on ebay. Yes, it means updating every 2 years instead of 3, but it's cheap and the big bugs have long been fixed (you download all the updates after installing). So I would get 2012.
JRHill

Post by JRHill »

prudent wrote:
JRHill wrote: I'm hoping this post will spur some new info to this thread and help to answer the question: Being forced to update, which one: Q2012 or Q2013 Premier?
I typically buy a year-old copy on ebay. Yes, it means updating every 2 years instead of 3, but it's cheap and the big bugs have long been fixed (you download all the updates after installing). So I would get 2012.
That's the logic I've used for years but from the reviews I've read (although there is little current info), I haven't seen that Q2012 is any better. Hence my post here. And I am sure that Quicken's developers are most focused on the current bug fixes.
rdnzl

Post by rdnzl »

Saving$ wrote:I used Q'99 until sometime in 2011. Bought a copy of Q'2010 then and have been using it ever since.
This closely speaks to my current dilemma. Been using '99 in XP for about 8 years - does everything I want it to. New computer (Mac - different topic...) so I need to retire 99. Old PC still operable, so I can update version there, then (presumably) transfer data to recent Mac platform. Any issues with transferring/importing 99 data into 2010? Research indicates possible need to use "intermediate versions" to accomplish this (!!!) Don't really want to buy any more versions than are absolutely necessary. Help, please?
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

I just upgraded, since the online update functionality of my old Q2010 is scheduled to be disabled next month. So far, no problems, although I haven't enabled the cloud-iphone app yet...
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

gooch wrote:I just upgraded, since the online update functionality of my old Q2010 is scheduled to be disabled next month. So far, no problems, although I haven't enabled the cloud-iphone app yet...
I'm going to do it manana. Fingers crossed (me and you both!).
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

astrohip wrote:
gooch wrote:I just upgraded, since the online update functionality of my old Q2010 is scheduled to be disabled next month. So far, no problems, although I haven't enabled the cloud-iphone app yet...
Amazon direct download seems to be the cheapest...$45.62. Good luck!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

gooch wrote:
astrohip wrote:
Amazon direct download seems to be the cheapest...$45.62. Good luck!
I already have it. Got it for $44 from someone on eBay.

Installing it now. Typical rude installation behavior. For example, creates desktop icons without asking. Almost every program these days ASKS "do you want desktop icons, do you want start menu entries, etc". Also, the installer keeps taking back focus when I'm doing something concurrently. :annoyed
OAG

Post by OAG »

Be sure to install latest updates to the program - there have been several & latest is Release R11 (22.1.11.31) as of today.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

OAG wrote:Be sure to install latest updates to the program - there have been several & latest is Release R11 (22.1.11.31) as of today.
FYI--The installation process automatically went from install the program to d/l & install the online updates. There is no way to NOT install the updates when you do a new install.

However, for those who already have Q2013 installed, this is must advice. Install the updates!

So far, they don't seem to have screwed it up too bad. :oops:. The usual cosmetic updates (for example, the password entry box upon startup is much prettier now {insert /sarcasm/ icon}). For those of you already using Q2013, are there any functional changes we heavy Q users should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

One irritating change. Every register now has a new field, "TAG". And to remove it, you have to edit each register one by one. No way (that I could find) to remove it from all registers with a single edit.

Why on earth they felt the need to add that to EVERY register is beyond me. And to not create a method to remove it in one fell swoop... geez, I have 20+ registers, what a PITA.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

astrohip wrote:One irritating change. Every register now has a new field, "TAG". And to remove it, you have to edit each register one by one. No way (that I could find) to remove it from all registers with a single edit.

Why on earth they felt the need to add that to EVERY register is beyond me. And to not create a method to remove it in one fell swoop... geez, I have 20+ registers, what a PITA.

Do 1, then chose make all 1 line registers or make all 2 line registers look like this...
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

JamesSFO wrote:Do 1, then chose make all 1 line registers or make all 2 line registers look like this...
My hero!! Another hidden feature.

I appreciate the help. :happy
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

I recently did a new installation of Quicken 2013 on a Windows 8 PC, which went smoothly. I ported the Quicken files from my old Vista PC to the new Windows 8 PC using a USB cable and was up and running.