LinkedIn and jobs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
linuxuser

LinkedIn and jobs

Post by linuxuser »

I know there is a thread below about social media, but I am specifically interested in LinkedIn as a job search device.

Have people had "luck" with it?
Has anyone with a LinkedIn account been contacted and have an interview and even a job resulting from it?
Is it worth my time to get an account?
Mandrale

Re: LinkedIn and jobs

Post by Mandrale »

I would say it is a great professional networking tool, but not much more than that. I have been contacted about 3-4 times for jobs on there, but they are usually sales/commision style jobs with huge turnover rates on employees, so I have ignored all of them. Statistically, it is the least checked social media website out there. Most people rarely check their Linked In, from my experiences at least.

Still a good website though, and I would strongly suggest creating a page -- can't hurt.
clsms

Post by clsms »

My sister received an inquiry from a major internet retailer a few months back via LinkedIn, had several interviews (both over the phone and in person), and subsequently was offered the position. I personally think its worth it - the account is free to setup and allows you to see the contacts of your contacts, potentially opening the door for further networking. It is the only form of 'social media' I'm involved with.
thebeerbarron

Post by thebeerbarron »

I have received numerous interviews because of my profile on LinkedIn, but nothing leading to a full time position. I think it's a great tool to network with people as well as a place to showcase your skills. Having said that, you should put some time into your profile to make it stand out among the rest. I've noticed that the more information I add to my profile, the more interest it drums up. I feel like once you make an update to your profile you are bumped up in the search results but I haven't confirmed that.

I would highly recommend creating a profile and reaching out to people in your industry to start establishing contacts.
dodonnell

Post by dodonnell »

linuxuser wrote:I know there is a thread below about social media, but I am specifically interested in LinkedIn as a job search device.

Have people had "luck" with it?
Has anyone with a LinkedIn account been contacted and have an interview and even a job resulting from it?
Is it worth my time to get an account?
linuxuser, yes, Linkedin is very effective.

After you join, you should post enough detail (and advanced keywords) in your progile to attract the right recruiters for your desired role. Recruiters search keywords and titles.

As a second step, join "groups" that represent your expertise and interests, such as Linux Expert that have lots of members (44k members in Linux Experts).
Recruiters approach those within the groups that represent the correct talent domain.

PM me if you need more detail.

hope that helps, dan
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

Our recruiter definitely searches LinkedIn for potential people and we also will look at someone's LinkedIn profile if we find their resume online. I tend to evaluate someone more on who they're connected to, I work in a small world (health IT) and if you're not connected to someone I know that's usually a negative sign. Conversely, if you're connected to someone I know, I can get some info on you and that'll up the chances of me hiring you.
SarahShaw

Post by SarahShaw »

Only people that have contacted me about jobs via Linked-In are headhunters who seemed to know nothing at all about my industry.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

One former co-worker switched jobs recently due to an unsolicited LinkedIn contact. Without too much detail, let's just say the company he went to is one you're all extremely familiar with. It's not just random headhunters out there.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
daggerboard

Post by daggerboard »

I have had a ton of success with linkedin.

1) Many job leads, couple of which led to really strong offers.
2) Killer tool for networking (find out who people know) - best / easiest way to find introductions into companies/individuals you don't know personally
3) Used by many to "read-up" on you - great marketing tool for you even if you are not looking for a job
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Since the consensus seems to be "what have you got to lose", how I am not sure how much to put on the profile.

Does one basically replicate one's resume?
I cut my resume off at about 10 years though I have more experience than that.

What do you do about unemployment gaps?

Comments?
cbus_runner

Post by cbus_runner »

stupidkid wrote:Our recruiter definitely searches LinkedIn for potential people and we also will look at someone's LinkedIn profile if we find their resume online. I tend to evaluate someone more on who they're connected to, I work in a small world (health IT) and if you're not connected to someone I know that's usually a negative sign. Conversely, if you're connected to someone I know, I can get some info on you and that'll up the chances of me hiring you.
This might be an argument to avoid Linkedin. You may be judged, wrongly, by people who don't know you.
johnny72

Post by johnny72 »

linuxuser are you leaving your new job already?!
Topic Author
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

cbus_runner wrote:
stupidkid wrote:Our recruiter definitely searches LinkedIn for potential people and we also will look at someone's LinkedIn profile if we find their resume online. I tend to evaluate someone more on who they're connected to, I work in a small world (health IT) and if you're not connected to someone I know that's usually a negative sign. Conversely, if you're connected to someone I know, I can get some info on you and that'll up the chances of me hiring you.
This might be an argument to avoid Linkedin. You may be judged, wrongly, by people who don't know you.
Aren't we being judged by people who don't know you anyway when job searching?
I don't understand your point.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

Unsolicited job inquiries coming through LinkedIn from people I do not know have usually been poor matches and desperate or clumsy recruiters. Occasionally a good fit. However, as a way to keep in contact with many previous colleagues as they disperse to many new companies, it is a wonderful tool. Because it keeps many of those people who do know me in touch (at least peripherally) the times when I have wanted to use it to explore new job opportunities it has been very (very very) effective. I had my doubts years ago when I first signed up, but am very glad that I did.
dodonnell

Post by dodonnell »

linuxuser wrote:Since the consensus seems to be "what have you got to lose", how I am not sure how much to put on the profile.

Does one basically replicate one's resume?
I cut my resume off at about 10 years though I have more experience than that.

What do you do about unemployment gaps?

Comments?
You can start with brevity. Add more as you become comfortable.

One very important Linkedin "settings" feature is the ability for the "public" (Google, Bing, etc.) to find a "public" version of your profile. You can control this setting and the level of detail available to the public and other important settings like that.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

LinkedIn is probably the most searched social media site by executive recruiters. I consistently get inquiries from executive recruiters who have retained search assignments to find someone like me. Haven't actually gotten a job offer from it, but am not in the market to move. I have received interesting enough inquiries that I've gone on interviews.
Our recruiter also uses it.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

There are two things to keep in mind about LinkedIn. 1) There are many new or inexperienced recruiters who send blanket requests to be connected to anyone remotely associated with the field they are recruiting in just to get access to the network of people. I never accept such requests to connect since they are not productive. My policy is to only connect to people I have met in person. 2) Serious job offers are rare, and can often be tied to the real-world networking you have done. For example, I got a job offer from a recruiter through LinkedIn, but I had met the recruiter at a conference a few months before that. I was not interested in the job (too much travel for my personal tastes) but I gave the recruiter a few other names of people in my LinkedIn network who might be good matches. So they may have received "random" job offers on LinkedIn, but it was actually still tied to people they had met in person.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

One thing I have found that recruiters do on LinkedIn is solicit you for someone you may know for a position they are trying to fill. I have gotten a lot of inquiries but a lot of them go through a phone screen and fall off pretty quickly if you are unwilling to travel, relocate, or otherwise take on a position the recruiter does not understand is far off from what you specialize in. I found this is also the case for Dice.com for IT related work, recruits will email and call but a lot of it is fluff.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Although LinkedIn is much more than a job search site. Between Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, and others, LinkedIn matches me much more closely with the jobs that I would be interested in. The other sites match me with keywords but I am looking for an upper-management / entry executive position. Linkedin gives me senior management, director, and VP level matches.

I also had 2 co workers recently leave to accept jobs that they found via Linkedin. So from my experience, it is a very useful website. I also 2nd the poster above. I disable the public view. Only people who have LinkedIn accounts can see my profile.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

I have heard several first-hand accounts of people getting jobs through LinkedIn. However, they also said that they made contact with hiring managers or people reporting to the hiring manager. They all said that recruiters are usually a big waste of time. It seems like everyone wants to be a recruiter in this economy.
jbreittling

Post by jbreittling »

I have had very good results. If I'm unsure of the recruiter reaching out to me, I'll dig a bit on them. I've been offered more than one job but never accepted. Ironically, it was through a local colleague that I just landed an independent gig that is very positive for my situation. But still, if you have desirable skills, I think it is definitely a benefit to join LinkedIn.

After all, at the end of the day, it's still left up to you to say 'Yes' or 'No' to anyone contacting you for any reason - to learn more about you, to see if you'd be interested in a specific position, etc.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Seven months ago, I began a job search. I initially applied to five companies: three through friends, one who contacted me (not via LinkedIn), and one via LinkedIn. My current job is the one I applied to through LinkedIn, and they gave the best offer of the five.
(That reminds me, I should probably update my LinkedIn profile at some point, just in case)
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

I'm in Jersey. One of my social networking groups recommended this HR person who is touring America now to speak on this particular subject as well as how to get hire in this dismal job market. She is dynamic and promote positive attitude.

http://absolutelyabby.com/

There are other LinkedIn advocates as well; for the younger crowd, Twitter is another great tool.

Other than IT, less than 3% of jobs are from applying via the internet, just a very long shot into a black hole. It's always whom you know, not what.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

When our department was trying to find candidates on LinkedIn, my profile kept returning in the search. My boss accused me of looking for another job. I pointed out that he had a linked in profile too. Case closed.