robbed by strong arm and pickpockets in Rome and Venice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rocket

robbed by strong arm and pickpockets in Rome and Venice

Post by rocket »

I recently returned from a 2 week vacation in Italy and Austria. There were 42 people in our tour group. 3 people in our tour group were robbed by strong arm and pickpockets in Rome and Venice. Tourist thief is a big business in Italy. Some Italian cities seem to allow pinpocketing and sell of Gucci, Versachie, etc imitation purses and other Italian cities strickly eliminate these practices. Usually Africans sell the imitation Gucci purses.
dickenjb

Re: robbed by strong arm and pickpockets in Rome and Venice

Post by dickenjb »

We were in Rome and Venice in August. Saw pickpockets "working the crowd" around street entertainers. We were careful, left most valuables in hotel safe, and had no problems.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

rocket wrote:I recently returned from a 2 week vacation in Italy and Austria. There were 42 people in our tour group. 3 people in our tour group were robbed by strong arm and pickpockets in Rome and Venice. Tourist thief is a big business in Italy. Some Italian cities seem to allow pinpocketing and sell of Gucci, Versachie, etc imitation purses and other Italian cities strickly eliminate these practices. Usually Africans sell the imitation Gucci purses.
First, I'm surprised the tour group did not warn people to keep their valuables in the hotel safe, to make use of money belts and keep your cash very close to you. I did not use a tour group when I went to Italy, however was warned by several relatives to keep vigilant - there were gypsies whose forte is to pick your pockets or scam you out of money, the hotel clerk warned us to leave all valuables including passports in the safe in our room - only one key and we held the skeleton key for it. Finally, living in a big city makes one very cognizant of what is happening around them. While I was enroute to the Colasium we saw two gypsies - one with a very young baby in her arms throw herself upon a Japanese tourist, while the other went to grab the wallet - well, they tried but the tourist threw both of them off of him, didn't matter baby or no baby. :shock: Apparently, gypsies don't know judo, but this guy did.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Several years ago, my wife had her purse grabbed in just a few seconds in a restaurant in Italy. She had it on the back of her chair. She got a shrug from the waiter. My wife thought he was more concerned about how she would pay the bill.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Did you have any problems at all in Austria? How did that compare to your stay in Italy in the sense of security and safety?
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

john94549 wrote:Several years ago, my wife had her purse grabbed in just a few seconds in a restaurant in Italy. She had it on the back of her chair. She got a shrug from the waiter. My wife thought he was more concerned about how she would pay the bill.
In Chile we've seen chairs in some restaurants with anti-theft clips on them.
I don't remember seeing them in Italy:
This photo taken in Santiago, Chile in a high density tourist area.
Neighborhood style family restaurants did not have these anti-theft clips.
Last edited by PacNorWest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

We were in Rome and Venice a couple years ago and didn't run into any problems. If you follow general guidelines in most guide books you should be fine. We found Rick Steves advice particularly helpful. They seem to operate in select settings so if you identify these it makes it easier to travel. Also I found it helpful to not dress so much like a tourist and to not walk around with a camera around my neck.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

Having grown up in Europe, pick pockets are a way of life I'm afraid. The thought of putting my handbag on the back of a chair would be unheard of for my generation. You may as well put your phone, wallet, or camera on the side of the table and wait for someone to walk by while their friend asks you a question from the other side of the table. There are so many scams, so many ways to be robbed. Put your handbag between your legs and wrap the strap around your knee. When walking, put your strap over your shoulder; I notice all the Spanish did this. Don't trust anyone asking for directions or help either; be suspicious.

I was in France in August and a thief got as far as opening my handbag and taking out my wallet. Fortunately we were getting on a train (my hands were busy pushing my case and opening the sliding door), but I felt a tug on my bag and when I let out a yelp he dropped the wallet on the floor. After that we kept one different credit card in each of our wallets, plus a spare card in the safe, so that we would not be without credit cards if one wallet was nicked. I met a woman on the train and she said she had her wallet stolen three times in two years. Another friend's daughter, same thing: three times in one year. It's a rampant problem, but they get a slap on the wrist so it never stops.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

yukonjack wrote: We found Rick Steves advice particularly helpful.
Some of which, by the way, can be read on his website (check out the articles in the "Safety" section).

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I think that in Rome and Venice there is a love/hate relationship with the tourists and the residents. A few years ago I was installing some equipment in the middle of Rome at the Parliament house. Every day when we (myself and a bunch of Italians) went out to lunch or coffee the negative attitude towards the throngs of tourists overwhelming their beautiful city was quite apparent - it even started rubbing off on me! ... but they do need the $$$
Frobie

Post by Frobie »

I've only been to that part of the world once, but let me third (or fourth, or twenty ninth, or whatever) the comments given above about following Rick Steves' advice, particularly the money belt. I remember our tour guide telling us not to carry anything in our pockets that it would be a big deal if it was stolen, and that's what we did.
hicabob wrote:I think that in Rome and Venice there is a love/hate relationship with the tourists and the residents. A few years ago I was installing some equipment in the middle of Rome at the Parliament house. Every day when we (myself and a bunch of Italians) went out to lunch or coffee the negative attitude towards the throngs of tourists overwhelming their beautiful city was quite apparent - it even started rubbing off on me! ... but they do need the $$$
Not sure that's limited to Italy or Europe. I lived in Charleston, SC for a few years and it was basically the same thing there.
magellan

Post by magellan »

Several years ago, I think in Florence, a women threw her live baby into my arms and when I instinctively reached out to grab it, a gang of 4-6 children, in a masterfully coordinated attack, instantly put hands into every one of my pants, shirt, and sportcoat pockets. It was over in about 5 seconds and they all vanished into the crowd.

Fortunately, I had my valuables in a hidden travel wallet and they were safe. Personally, I prefer the belt loop style wallet and when I'm traveling I use this exclusively instead of a back pocket wallet.

Also, in cities where small mopeds or motorcycles are everywhere (my experience was in cambodia), a common attack involved the attacker driving the moto up onto the sidewalk from behind with a second rider grabbing a loose purse or briefcase from a pedestrian. Unfortunately, someone I was working with had her shoulder injured badly in one of these attempts. The would-be thief misjudged how well-secured her purse was and when they tried to rip it from her the strap didn't break and they all went down. The lesson there if there is one, is to make sure your bag is hidden or looks well-secured from the back.

Jim
Last edited by magellan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yobria

Post by yobria »

Yes my travelling companion had a camera stolen in Rome (in her backpack between her legs) a few years ago. Long wait at La Stazione di Polizia for a police report so AmEx could reimburse her. I only travel with items I wouldn't mind losing.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

When we honeymooned in italy, we carried our wallets in one of those steel cabled hanging waller underneath our shirts, which makes it impossible to pickpocket. We also avoid crowded buses where pickpockets often strike. It worked. We were no picked pocketed at all, while other tourist we met lost stuff. Frankly, I am grateful that pickpockets are the most dangerous thing we have to worry about (except for cars in Rome). In some cities, we have to worry about muggers!

Paul
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

When I was in Italy, I kept my wallet in my front pocket, and most of the time, my hand in the same pocket touching the wallet.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

By the way, what does "strong arm" mean?
awval999

Post by awval999 »

It means that by force they rip the handbag/purse away from you. At least that's what I always thought at least.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I thought this was old news.

I've had more than few friends (esp the elderly) who got their stuff snatched in Rome and Venice in the high-density tourist areas. It's well known, and any tour guide should warn well in advance.

It's not a violent affair - they capitalize on speed and confusion. In one instance, a couple was taking pictures, and then got surrounded by 8-10 'random strangers' talking loudly (who were young) who appeared to be having a good time, patted the guy on the shoulder like he was a buddy, and then left, in a matter of seconds. Two wallets snatched in those few seconds, and the group scatters so you have no idea whom to follow.

I'll bet there are 'professional' groups that do this on a near daily basis there, who are very good at identifying vulnerable targets and avoiding law enforcement. Sad, but true.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Being a younger guy and having not yet been to Europe, this is an interesting and informative thread.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I used PacSafe's Stashsafe funny-pack while traveling in Europe. It has metal cables running within its belt that would prevent belt being cut or ripped off by strong arms, metal netting behind surface to avoid being cut through by pickpockets, actual miniature metal lock that allows to lock the belt and pockets of the pack once it is on you. I found it to be very convenient and secure. Instead of relying on hotel safes, I carried everything with me in it. What I would keep in the safe--passport, bulk of money, air tickets, credit/ATM cards, etc--were in larger constantly-locked pocket. And smaller packet I kept unlocked and used for operational carry.

I actually improved on original pack by attaching a key for the lock onto tiny metal cable self-retracting spool holder (that is used by fisherman to hold line cutters) in tiny packet available on the other end of the pack than the lock is attaching to. This way, I always had key with me, hidden from plain sight, so I could simply pull on it to open the lock and then it was enough to let the key go for it to retract back into its packet in an instant, so fast the eye could not follow it there. And even if someone noticed the key, to get to the lock would require ripping off Velcro cover so using it on the lock without me noticing was not possible IMO.

My parents actually asked to borrow this pack for their travel to Europe since they liked it so much.

Highly recommend!
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

Not all of Europe is that way. In Denmark we never had a problem in Copenhagen or with leaving our possessions in a tent in a field several km away from where we were working at a music festival all day.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

HomerJ wrote:By the way, what does "strong arm" mean?
Neil Strongarm. The first guy to moon on the land.

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
kermit

Post by kermit »

I follow Rick Steves' suggestions. Always use a money belt. Keep most of your cash, credit cards, IDs, and passports in it. Keep only the bare minimum of cash needed for the day and one credit card in your wallet. Keep your wallet in a front pocket.

We've been to Italy, Paris, London, and Greece. We've seen our fare share of pick pocketing but if you follow this advice you are safe. You may look like an idiot when you actually need to take something out of the belt in public but at least it's safe.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Years ago my mother lost her hand bag in Spain by someone coming by on a moped, was difficult to get a new passport, etc. I was told not to lean over when looking down from the Campanile in Venice, pickpockets then would get your wallet. Years ago in Seoul, Korea, I noticed that my back pocket on my pants had a slit, I remembered two people followed me tightly in an alley, one apparently unsuccessful in getting my wallet with a razor.
SGM

Post by SGM »

In Rome gypsy children came running up to a man trying to hug him and shouting Daddy, with their mother watching. He moved his arms and legs in a windmill fashion to keep them away.

An elderly woman, in a tour group, shouted and hit a pickpocket in Prague and retrieved her husband's wallet.

A teenage boy was pickpocketed on the Paris metro and punched out the pickpocket. He was welcomed as a hero when he joined his classmates.

Stay aware. I do not know how to not dress as an American. I will be buying a money belt if I travel again.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

PaddyMac wrote:Having grown up in Europe, pick pockets are a way of life I'm afraid.
guitarguy wrote:Being a younger guy and having not yet been to Europe, this is an interesting and informative thread.
Doppledangler!
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein »

Excellent thread, hope it gets widely read.

Getting pickpocketed is the most likely thing to ruin anyone's vacay in Europe or Asia.

Prime directive: Do NOT carry a wallet. Period. ALWAYS keep your real valuables--your passport and all but one credit card--in the hotel safe. When you're traveling between cities, a calf-mounted money belt is probably the safest, since it's the least common. Inside-the-pants money belts are also fine. I use a sturdy lockable double belt loop device that I wear a coat over.

Ladies: do not carry anything in your purse you can't afford to have stolen.

Distribute your walking-around cash in multiple pockets, and keep the one credit card you do carry around wrapped in a rubber band attached with a safety pin to the bottom of a non-obvious, preferably zipped pocket. Use your credit card only for the really big stuff: hotel bills and really spendy restaurants. Using it for small transactions is asking for theft of your number.

Be especially aware at big train stations. If you see a group of people acting oddly, particularly at a doorway, use another door.

Then, go have a great time!

Bill
Topic Author
rocket

Post by rocket »

EagertoLearnMore wrote:Did you have any problems at all in Austria? How did that compare to your stay in Italy in the sense of security and safety?
No one was robbed in Austria. I felt very secure in Austria. There were no very crowded areas in Austria.
I think certain Italian cities are likely to have pickpockets (Rome, Pisa, Florence, Venice).
I think certain Italian cities are likely to NOT have pickpockets (Sorrento, Verona).
Last edited by rocket on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
rocket

Post by rocket »

HomerJ wrote:By the way, what does "strong arm" mean?
In our trip, "Strong Arm" means one guy grabs you around your chest and arms, while another guy strips you of your valuables. They rob the 75+ years old men.

In Venice a loud, profanity shouting Italian yelled at an old (around 80) for about 3 minutes, about how rude the old man was in our group. I observed no rude behavior by the old man in our group. No one in our group was robbed but I suspense it was a diversion to rob people.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I put an empty wallet in my back pocket and my cash/credit cards in my front pocket. No problems so far.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

When I have traveled overseas, I always carry my important items in a money belt under my clothes.
I also make a copy of my passport just in case something happens to it that I take with me.
It is a lot easier to get it replaced if you have that information.
I put a copy in an attachment in an email that I can retrieve if necessary.
Putting an empty wallet in your back pocket as Rick said is a good idea. I would include a small amount of money so if you are mugged,
the crook get something and leaves you unharmed. A little bit of survival insurance for a safe trip.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Watty

Post by Watty »

It is nothing new, even back in the 1970's my Dad go pickpocketed in Rome. They got about $5 since even then people knew to watch out for pickpockets and keep your cash separate.
ilskeptic

Post by ilskeptic »

Got scammed out of $40 for two $5 jackets by a distinguished looking, fast-talking guy in Rome five years ago. I blame my son, he blames me. On the same trip, I was walking a few feet behind my son in St. Petersburg, Russia, when a well-dressed young guy very casually reached out and unzipped my son's (empty, luckily) backpack. That guy never even interrupted his conversation with his friends. All part of the adventure of travel, until you actually lose something valuable.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I was sold a good looking Armani jacket on the side walk on New York City for $100 a few years back. I still don't know if it's a counterfeit or not. Just wearing it. :mrgreen:
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I was stationed in Germany about sixty miles north of Bayreuth. I signed up for an American Express tour to the Benelux countries. I took a train from Hof to Frankfurt to meet the tour. While I was waiting in the Frankfurt bahnhof to meet the tour group, someone sold me a Rolex watch for twenty five dollars.

The watch never worked.
Gordon
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Exactly the same advice goes for travellers going from anywhere to the US - keep some 'mugging money' in your pocket and your real money in a money belt or purse tucked somewhere else. The only more scary issue about the US is that people are allowed to carry guns :shock:

Big city smarts apply everywhere in the world.
Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel »

rocket wrote:I recently returned from a 2 week vacation in Italy and Austria. There were 42 people in our tour group. 3 people in our tour group were robbed by strong arm and pickpockets in Rome and Venice. Tourist thief is a big business in Italy. Some Italian cities seem to allow pinpocketing and sell of Gucci, Versachie, etc imitation purses and other Italian cities strickly eliminate these practices. Usually Africans sell the imitation Gucci purses.
I'm not sure how the two parts of your post are related - being robbed/pick-pocketed is unfortunate. But buying crappy knock-offs from a guy sitting on a side-walk?? No-one in their right mind could think that stuff is real, could they? In a few dozen trips to Italy, I've yet to lose a wallet, camera or any other valuables, and that's without resorting to money belts or any other trickery. Maybe that's just luck (or spending as little time as possible at the worst tourist traps), but the image of Italy/Europe one get's from this thread is a little skewed.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Wolkenspiel wrote: ...the image of Italy/Europe one get's from this thread is a little skewed.
+1
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

There is some standard good advice here (using moneybelts, keeping day cash in front pocket, etc). In addition my first reaction in crowded areas is that anytime I am touched, bumped etc my hands immediately go to where I have valuables as it is often a distraction technique. The second thing I'll add is to just recognize whether you are the easiest target or not. I simply look around and figure out who I would likely pick pocket or mug and if I can't find anyone that I know it is me.
magellan

Post by magellan »

This is off topic, but the OP might want to know that police in Rome can fine tourists for sitting down for a snack near monuments.
Tourists will still be allowed to eat while they walk, but stop with a bag of chips in your hands or sit down while chewing on your panino, and you are eligible for a fine of 25 to 500 euros ($32 to $650). An Italian daily newspaper dubbed it the “War on the Sandwich.”
Jim
Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger »

The wife and I had a similar experience in Rome back in the mid 90's. (Southern Italy was an entirely different experience from northern Italy - almost 2 separate countries.) I always carried my wallet in my front pocket, so no issues there. During one of the legs of our Rome tour, my wife's backpack was unzipped. Fortunately nothing stolen, but to have been completely unaware of it until after the fact was a little unsettling. And I was behind her the whole time w/o noticing.

Interesting idea about the Stashsafe funny-pack mentioned by Serbeer.

--Goldfinger
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

This used to happen a lot in the Macy's in Herald Square New York around the holidays, people got bumped and purses would be slashed, pockets would be picked. I haven't heard this lately since a lot of New Yorkers are wise to it, and tourists from all over the world use money belts. This is common anywhere in crowded tourist areas and even desolate areas where leaving a shiny quarter in plain view in your car would warrant someone to smash your window to get it.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I used Pacsafe MetroSafe 200 Anti-Theft Shoulder Bag in Paris with no problems whatsoever.

Now I should go to Rome and Venice on the pretext of falsifying my hypothesis. 8-)

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

VictoriaF wrote:I used Pacsafe MetroSafe 200 Anti-Theft Shoulder Bag in Paris with no problems whatsoever.

Now I should go to Rome and Venice on the pretext of falsifying my hypothesis. 8-)

Victoria
Specifics....I'll bet it's probably bulletproof too!

" nylon

840D ballistic nylon, high tensile stainless steel wire in strap, eXomesh slashguard

4 anti-theft features: slashproof shoulder strap; eXomesh slashguard in lower front and bottom section of bag; tamperproof zippers; snatchproof strap

Secure, zippered main compartment, secure zippered front pocket, rear pocket with concealed zipper, key clip, pen holder, headphone port, 2 external pockets

Spot clean with warm water and mild detergent, air-dry in shade

Made in China"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

aja8888 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I used Pacsafe MetroSafe 200 Anti-Theft Shoulder Bag in Paris with no problems whatsoever.

Victoria
Specifics....I'll bet it's probably bulletproof too!

" nylon

840D ballistic nylon, high tensile stainless steel wire in strap, eXomesh slashguard

4 anti-theft features: slashproof shoulder strap; eXomesh slashguard in lower front and bottom section of bag; tamperproof zippers; snatchproof strap

Secure, zippered main compartment, secure zippered front pocket, rear pocket with concealed zipper, key clip, pen holder, headphone port, 2 external pockets

Spot clean with warm water and mild detergent, air-dry in shade

Made in China"
All good points. I shall take the bag to China and test it in a shoot out.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stan_the_man

Post by stan_the_man »

PacNorWest wrote:
john94549 wrote:Several years ago, my wife had her purse grabbed in just a few seconds in a restaurant in Italy. She had it on the back of her chair. She got a shrug from the waiter. My wife thought he was more concerned about how she would pay the bill.
In Chile we've seen chairs in some restaurants with anti-theft clips on them.
I don't remember seeing them in Italy:
This photo taken in Santiago, Chile in a high density tourist area.
Neighborhood style family restaurants did not have these anti-theft clips.
If straps like this are not available, one option is to put the strap(s)/handle of a purse or backpack through the legs of the chair and then keep the bad between your feet.

That's what I instructed my wife to do at Paris sidewalk cafes. Considering that she also normally wears long skirts, unless you saw her place the bag there you would never even know it was down there.
Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name »

stan_the_man wrote:keep the bad between your feet.

That's what I instructed my wife to do at Paris sidewalk cafes.
Are you still married?
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I worked in Central America for several years and saw every kind of pickpocketing. Only happened to me once. I was boarding a crowded bus with lots of pushing from behind and someone got my wallet out of my front pants pocket while I was carried by the flow of people into the bus. Didn't lose much, about $10 in cash and some easily replaced local IDs.

I just learned to always loop my backpack straps through the leg of my chair when sitting in a restaurant. And carry it slung under my arm and held tight to my side when on the street rather than on my back. Some thieves would use razors to slash your backpack when walking down the street and then collect the stuff from it. I guess they would watch to see where you would stash your money and then go for that spot. Always assume you are being stalked I guess. A favorite scam back then for thieves to "accidentally" spray you with mustard or ketchup and then one would snag your wallet when the other was apologetically wiping you down with a napkin. Thieves would also position nails under the front tire of your rental car (if you were renting a car) then down the road when you are pulled over with a flat they'd pull up behind to help. When one is at the front of your car helping you change the tire the other is stealing your bags from the back.

When traveling I ALWAYS carry a backup credit card and photocopied IDs in my luggage in addition to what I carry on me. It's the principle of redundancy. I never want one theft or lost bag to ruin my trip.

Another good idea is to scan the fronts and backs of all your credit cards and IDs and save them to a gmail or dropbox account that you can access from anywhere. That way if you really do lose your passport and credit cards you can pull up digital images at the consulate. And you'll also have the 800 numbers off the back of your credit cards to report stolen or lost cards.
norookie

Post by norookie »

Happens all over hot spots in the USA also. Three flats, three yrs in a row in the tires as snowbirds head "South of the Border" at "South of the Border" I95 N.C. Not a coincidence.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

Stay aware. I do not know how to not dress as an American. I will be buying a money belt if I travel again.
For men I think this would involve not wearing white athletic shoes and a baseball cap :D