Using LinkedIn during career change?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ncaraway

Using LinkedIn during career change?

Post by ncaraway »

Deleted by author
Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
p14175

Re: Using LinkedIn during career change?

Post by p14175 »

What you need is a good transitional title. In my case I made a career change to Mfg engineering, but have since branched out in electromechanical machine design and fabrication. Now I identify myself simply as an engineer since I can work as a mfg engineer, mechanical engineer/designer, circuit designer, or programmer.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

ncaraway wrote: LinkedIn doesn't seem to accommodate such a change - at least not easily
I'm not sure I get what you mean. What would it have to do to accommodate the change in the way you want? Maintain separate "collections" of connections for each industry?

JJ
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I have a "schizophrenic" profile as I am also making a big career change. It doesn't seem to matter so far, and besides, it is who I am. You don't think ANY skills from being an IT director will be useable in your new career? I think they will. And what about potential employers who would like to see that you held a responsible position for x number of years instead of bumming around the world? I think if I was going to hire someone I'd want the person who I think is more reliable.
Sarah
Topic Author
ncaraway

Post by ncaraway »

Deleted by author
Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandan14

Post by dandan14 »

Think of linkedin like a resume -- not necessarily a list of everything you've ever done. Take advantage of the profile section to say what it is you want to say.
I also would recommend the linkedin premium feature. They have a free month, which I am using now. It allows you to email people you are not connected with. I had a really good phone conversation with a guy in one of my target companies. That alone would have been worth the $50 monthly charge for premium.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Just add a new "company" and new title. Then, just be ready to answer the question from future employers about "why such a major career change?" It's not particularly unique - people do it all the time.

BTW - when I see a person with multiple LinkedIn Accounts - as I have in the past - I assume that they lost their log in on the old account or in some way don't "get" the technology. Personally, I would never create a second account - for this or any other reason.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Does your current employer know your plans? What if someone sees the change on Linkedin? If everyone is aware of your plans then you could put the suggested transitional work.