Using VOIP (internet phone)? Which One?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Using VOIP (internet phone)? Which One?

Postby neo09 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:15 am

tfb wrote:Ooma!

+1
neo09

Postby FlyOverState » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:04 am

It's always worth a shot to call AT&T to see what they can do to lower your bill, even if it is while your research your best option. Looks like there are lots of low cost choices out there.
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState
FlyOverState

Postby madbrain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:54 am

My Ooma fees just increased to $5.46 due to local taxes . This is not really close to being free phone service any longer.
My cell phone carrier just provided a cell phone booster for the house which seems to work, so no need for a voice line at home anymore.

The main reason for me to keep Ooma is for faxing, and it is not that great for that purpose. $65/year is too much just to send a few faxes to toll-free numbers. I may put my Ooma hub for sale as soon as I find an alternate solution.
madbrain

Postby cbeck » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:11 am

madbrain wrote:My Ooma fees just increased to $5.46 due to local taxes . This is not really close to being free phone service any longer.
My cell phone carrier just provided a cell phone booster for the house which seems to work, so no need for a voice line at home anymore.

The main reason for me to keep Ooma is for faxing, and it is not that great for that purpose. $65/year is too much just to send a few faxes to toll-free numbers. I may put my Ooma hub for sale as soon as I find an alternate solution.

I guess I was lucky to buy the original Ooma hub which offered completely free service. I still pay nothing per month. You might check to see if you bought an original Ooma now on ebay whether you would be free from monthly charges.

My hub still works just fine here in Thailand.
cbeck

Postby Polar_Ice » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm

madbrain wrote:My Ooma fees just increased to $5.46 due to local taxes . This is not really close to being free phone service any longer.

If you have a scanner, then there are services online to use for faxing documents.

You can use skype to send /receive a fax with PamFax. I used to have efax years ago and could receive a fax straight to my inbox and easily send them on my computer.
Polar_Ice

Postby HornedToad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:00 pm

I use Skype with a dedicated VOIP phone. It costs about ~$20-25/year for the service and then another ~$20-25 for a dedicated phone number. With fast internet I've generally been happy with it.
HornedToad

Postby madbrain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Polar_Ice wrote:

If you have a scanner, then there are services online to use for faxing documents.

Yes, I do have a scanner.

You can use skype to send /receive a fax with PamFax. I used to have efax years ago and could receive a fax straight to my inbox and easily send them on my computer.

Thanks, I will look into it. I don't really need to receive faxes, but I do need to send them.
madbrain

Postby Leif » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Leif Eriksen wrote:
Leif Eriksen wrote:FYI, I see Costco has Ooma Telo Air Wireless for $170 if ordered by Aug. 19. It looks like the same deal is $230 on Amazon. I guess I need to decide soon.

Oh man, I went to order and now they are sold out!

Good news! You can now order the Ooma Air, if you want, from costco, at the discounted price. I've been checking every day, just in case. I just ordered mine. They are charging $170 which they say is $30 off. However, I guess that is just compared to the usual Costco price. The price through Ooma is $230. They are back ordered until August 22, when they expect to ship.

I think it is nice of Costco to allow a back order on their sold out discounted item. When I tried to call them earlier they told me the discount was only "while supplies last". Anyway, if you want one the deadline is August 19 (Sunday). You can get one without the air option, but I wanted the Air option since I wanted the device in a different location then my modem/router.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore
Leif

ditching pstn for voip

Postby manyness » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 am

__PBX/ATA

* voip.ms excellent features, good pricing, will price match flat rate DID, I wouldn't rely on it for enterprise but suitable for small business, free incoming/outgoing SIP, no SIP TCP, sms capable, free iNum

* annveo.com excellent features, delevops features fastest, nickel and diming price structure that won't phase enterprise, NO free incoming/outgoing SIP, has SIP TCP (a must for mobile devices), more sms capable

* les.net no IP-PBX features, rock solid reliable, excellent support, NO free incoming/outgoing SIP, no SIP TCP, enterprise classs

* vitelity.com some IP-PBX, rock solid reliable, oddball support policies that won't phase enterprise, NO free incoming/outgoing SIP, no SIP TCP, sms capable, enterprise classs

* callcentric.com good free stuff, good support, skimpy IP-PBX features, acceptable pricing, no SIP TCP, free iNum

__ATA

* viatalk.com excellent IP-PBX features, untrustworthy pricing, not suitable for enterprise despite their wholesale efforts, no SIP TCP, no free SIP, no sms, no iNum

Signup with viatalk at $XX/mo and some time later you'll be paying more than $XX not consistent with contract (before fees/taxes). They value new customers much more than existing customers: mocking you with deals you can never have. Support is friendly but not capable of much.

* voicepulse.com whatever.. claim to be working on feature X Y or Z but it never ever arrives. support is mildly polite but nothing accomplished. If you have NAT woes run away. no SIP TCP, no free SIP, no sms, no iNum

Leif Eriksen wrote:FYI, I see Costco has Ooma Telo Air Wireless for $170 if ordered by Aug. 19. It looks like the same deal is $230 on Amazon. I guess I need to decide soon.

Be sure to infect yourself with the black plague. I would avoid both.

if you are not grandfathered ooma to avoid montly taxes/fees it is not worth the trauma and Bait & switch

+ monthly fed taxes/fees
+ monthly state taxes/fees
+ locality taxes/fees
+ $20 change CNAM (name seen in caller id by recipient of your call)
+ refuse sane CNAM value. only all caps FIRST LAST
++ be sure to set your first last to whatever you want your callerid to be even if not your first last
++ cannot change activation first last
+ feckless "support"
++ no one voip savvy employed by ooma

long version

I bought the TELO on amazon black friday $99.

nothing but trauma with entirely FECKLESS "support" people. They're even worse than godaddy or verizon wireless.

They refuse to change the CallerID name component to anything other than your accounts FIRST NAME LAST NAME, yes in caps.

I had previously "Wife First n Hubby Last" "Name n Name". Wouldn't do it. Cited any number of policies. Read them. No such provision. Cited other document. Read that. No such provision. About six iterations of that.

meanwhile my callerID matches a lovely asian woman 45 miles north of my. They recycle numbers.

Not being an asian woman myself I was a bit irked especially by irritating feedback from called family members.

Suddenly changing name was possible but now $20. But still not to "Name n Name" which it was with http://VoicePulse.com and then again with http://viatalk.com and then with http://voip.ms and also with http://callcentric.com

I bought the TELO to overcome a fios hostility to SIP. It did increase voice quality above degraded SIP UDP. But that's not much of a claim.

Mothly fees for feds, state, locality, and the e911 I DONT NEED as I already pay it to another voip service provider

The activated the "premium" features despite an understanding that I could activate it later after trying the basic functionality. They could remove it but I wouldn't be able to activate it later as they claimed pre-activation.

there are better ways to VPN tunnel voip

Not buyer beware: be NOT a buyer

avoid: ooma, majic jack+, vonage, and especially google voice (privacy is NOT a commodity)
[ nosce te ipsum. (know thyself) ] ||| [ Be overcome by justice. Pursue honor. Be prudent. Find fault with no one. Deal kindly with everyone. Never tire of learning. ] ||| [ Long for wisdom ]
manyness

Postby raymclean » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm

MAGIC JACK ALERT, we just had a problem and had to cut it off without ever being up and running. The home security system is connected to the phone system and MJ will not work with it. this cost me about 10 hours of problem solving and several days of being without telephone service, so heads up about it. Now the question we are working on is whether any other VOIP would work. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
raymclean

Postby SteveNet » Thu May 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Nettalk for the past 2 yrs.

Edit... I thought I would add some info. and my experience.

Nettalk, no need for computer to be on at all.
$50 for device and 1 yr of service, $29 per yr there after.
ALL hard wired outlets in the home for phones will operate off of Nettalk, if plugged into a wall phone jack.
So multiple phones in the home all work off of the same nettalk device.

I had magic jack and I couldn't wait to throw it away, just simply didn't work reliably.

Nettalk does work well 'IF' you have a solid internet provider.
Some phones work better than others. I use... Panasonic KX-TG4032B DECT 6.0 PLUS Expandable Digital Cordless Phone with Answering System
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036D7SO4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some routers work well others do not, I use... TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless-N Gigabit Router (TEW-639GR) Auto Quality of Service (QoS)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P9XHHI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As with ALL voip systems, a good internet connection is a main thing to have.
My Son 2,000 miles away has the same setup I have nettalk/router/phone and we talk problem free most of the time.
Sometimes a HUB somewhere between us has issues, so we then just hang up and call again as you often get a different hub each time you connect.
I'd say 10% of the time average there are some skipping issues somewhere in internet land.

All in all I'm quite happy with the setup, and so is my spouse. :beer

$49.95 plus tax

NEW Unlimited SMS Text Plan
NEW Call Blocking (block annoying calls)
NEW Call ID Blocking (protect your privacy)
One year of service included
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Choose a phone number or keep your own
Free local and long distance calling to the U.S. and Canada
Live technical support, 5 days a week
Flat-rate, ultra low-cost international call plans
Free DUO-to-DUO-calls anywhere in the world
Plugs directly into your router or computer
Landline goes anywhere there is internet
411 directory assistance
Call waiting / caller ID / call forwarding
3-way calling / conference calling
Visual voicemail
Enhanced 911
Fax-friendly

For $50 inital and $30 renewal every yr. I dropped my land line which cost me about $350 per yr and thats without long distance charges added.

2 yrs... land line $700 (+ long distance charges) vs Nettalk $80 (unlimited long distance) Savings $620 minimum. :sharebeer
So far...
Last edited by SteveNet on Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.
SteveNet

Postby Leif » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

The Ooma did not work for me. The call quality on the non-Ooma side was poor. Apparently to work well you need to set up a packet priority system on your router. It is called Quality of Service (QoS). Unfortunately for me I have an AT&T gateway device (a gateway is a router and modem in one device). Using this QoS may not be set up. I should imagine this is not an exclusive Ooma issue, but I would guess that it would impact all VOIP systems.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore
Leif

Postby 4nursebee » Sat May 11, 2013 7:39 am

I don't understand the OBi,vonage, magictalk and have no problems with my service so am not going to change.

Here is what we do. For now we are keeping the landline, with no add ons such as long distance. Service is fairly cheap and phone company does our high speed internet. I signed up for google voice, got a number, and use that for free long distance. No monthly service charge, no Obi, no nothing extra. I can set up google number in many ways, such as call forwarding to cell phone (I don't). NO NEED FOR ADDITIONAL gadget if you have phone service of some kind (cell or local).

I expect that the future for me, and much of the US is no land lines, no call charges, perhaps even no true cellular phone service. All that is needed is a computer like device and net connectivity. In the home this is using google voice, google talk, skype, or likely any other free service. The only reason to not fully use these things is to reach late adopters or non adopters such as the older generations.
4nursebee

Postby bill1958 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:43 pm

neo09 wrote:
tfb wrote:Ooma!

+1

+1
bill1958

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues