Which Midsize SUV should I buy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: Which Midsize SUV should I buy?

Postby Lacrocious » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:18 pm

4 years ago looked closely at the Toyota Rav4 - much bigger than they were originally. Good towing capacity (#3000), V6 with decent gas mileage. We ended up going with the Toyota Sienna minivan -it just gave much more cargo space when not towing, and had the same towing capacity. We have been enjoying it. We could probably sleep in it with the 3rd row folded into the floor and the 2nd row folded up. It would be tight, but we are pretty short. If we took out the 2nd row - piece of cake. Not a SUV - but it worked for us. Otherwise, test a Rav4 - it's like a big gocart - it drives nice from our testdrive.
- L
Lacrocious

Postby Random Poster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Lacrocious wrote:4 years ago looked closely at the Toyota Rav4 - much bigger than they were originally. Good towing capacity (#3000), V6 with decent gas mileage. We ended up going with the Toyota Sienna minivan -it just gave much more cargo space when not towing, and had the same towing capacity. We have been enjoying it. We could probably sleep in it with the 3rd row folded into the floor and the 2nd row folded up. It would be tight, but we are pretty short. If we took out the 2nd row - piece of cake. Not a SUV - but it worked for us. Otherwise, test a Rav4 - it's like a big gocart - it drives nice from our testdrive.
- L

Does the Rav4 still offer a V-6? I thought that I read somewhere that it is no longer offered.
Random Poster

Postby Lacrocious » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 am

Didn't know - but a quick look at Toyota's web site and it shows a 3.5L v6 - 269HP w/mileage of 19/27.

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/specs.html

- L
Lacrocious

Postby thomase » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:35 am

The 2013 Rav4 is an all new, sleeker and nicer looking wagon, the spare tire no longer hangs off the rear door. They all come with a 4 cylinder 2.5L engine and six speed auto, the V6 has been dropped.
thomase

Postby Lacrocious » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:49 am

Ah - didn't see anything on the 2013's and didn't look. Now you have me curious. I will have to work at shutting off that part of the brain that says "I NEED that new car!". It starts singing to me when I read threads like this and go to car websites. :D

- L
Lacrocious

Postby ddb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 am

Browser wrote:
As you already know, Honda is a very reliable brand so why not step up a little to the Acura RDX?

Looks like a possibility, but it seems to require premium unleaded. That's a non-starter for me. Also, towing capability is 1500 lbs., no better than CRV and not enough for all but the lightest trailers.

If you drive 15K miles per year and achieve 20mpg, and premium costs $0.30/gallon more than 87 octane, your additional monthly fuel cost is $18.75. So, I question whether automatically dismissing a vehicle which requires premium fuel is rational.

BTW, my wife used to own an RDX, and we both loved it. She now drives an MDX, and I dislike it (but she likes it).

- DDB
Last edited by ddb on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
ddb

Postby Browser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 am

Why does the RDX require premium? I got behind one yesterday and it looked pretty neat, and said "Turbo" on the back. Does it run a turbocharged engine? BTW, I'm not as rational about gas price - if I can save 10 cents a gallon on fuel when I'm filling up it feels like I just won the lottery. :beer
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Postby leod » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am

Browser wrote:
Cuzz35 wrote:
dhodson wrote:Honda pilot

+1 for the Honda Pilot. I bought my wife a 2011 Pilot Touring which replaced her 2000 CRV. Alot more room, solid gas mileage, V6, and alot of nice features. Good safety ratings as well.

What kind of mileage do you get on your Pilot?

I think i'm getting ~20mpg on my Honda Pilot combined city/highway. it is the previous model with 18/24 rating.

I find the transmission smooth compared to the Toyota RAV4 or Nissan Pathfinder
leod

Postby Browser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 am

I seemed to get about 21-22 city and 24-25 highway on my 2002 CRV, probably about 23 average. I have done several long hauls between midwest and Arizona and the best I ever saw was a little over 25 mpg on the interstate. The new ones might get a couple miles better on the highway, since they claim 31 or so, but after adding the chunk of salt that's probably 26-27 at best, I'd guess. So maybe you might save around 20% on fuel with a compact SUV vs. midsize?
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale
Browser

Postby aja8888 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:17 am

Browser wrote:Why does the RDX require premium? I got behind one yesterday and it looked pretty neat, and said "Turbo" on the back. Does it run a turbocharged engine? BTW, I'm not as rational about gas price - if I can save 10 cents a gallon on fuel when I'm filling up it feels like I just won the lottery. :beer

If it says turbo on the rear, it more than like has a turbocharged intake system. Not all turbo-equipped engines require premium fuel, though. That factor is a function of the compression ratio and pre-ignition timing which dictate octane requirements of the fuel. Turbo charged engines are known for their high torque characteristics which are more important than horsepower.
aja8888

Postby aceoperations » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 am

The new 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek! :beer
aceoperations

Postby TomatoTomahto » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Browser wrote:Why does the RDX require premium? I got behind one yesterday and it looked pretty neat, and said "Turbo" on the back. Does it run a turbocharged engine? BTW, I'm not as rational about gas price - if I can save 10 cents a gallon on fuel when I'm filling up it feels like I just won the lottery. :beer

Get a SpeedPass which is charged the same as cash at Exxon and Mobil. Link it to a credit card that gives you cash back on fuel purchases. Wheee! Almost as good as the lottery :D
TomatoTomahto

Postby fsrph » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm

mnnice wrote:
harikaried wrote:
mnnice wrote:I am curious about the 2014 Forester after reading this thread.
We just got our Subaru Forester last year, and its MPG is rated 27 highway and 21 city. The 2014 model improves on it with 32/24 with the CVT which is pretty good for AWD (and cheaper than comparable AWD). Our main complaint for the Forester is the rear center seat, but it seems to be improved with the new model as well. We just had our first winter trip to Tahoe, it performed great in the snow.

Do you get what its rated for mpg?

What's wrong with the center seat?

Personally, I am more curious about the 6 speed than Cvt ;

I could chime in here. Bought a new Forester a few years ago. Great vehicle and would highly recommend it. Mine has the Premium and All Weather packages + manual transmission. Over 1 year my real world mileage is over 24 mpg with mostly city driving. My friend just bought a new Subaru with the "Eyesight" option. It's available only on select models but Subaru supposed to include it in a lot more 2014 models. It's pretty neat -- dual front looking cameras scan the road ahead of you and can help avoid accidents. Car can even stop itself without you using the brake. I'm looking for this option on my next Subaru. Here's a link about Eyesight from Consumer Reports.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... track.html

Francis
“Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.” ― Warren Buffett
fsrph

Postby harikaried » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:20 pm

aceoperations wrote:The new 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek! :beer
If OP is looking for a midsize SUV for interior room, the Crosstrek might be a bit small. The interior is basically the Impreza hatchback/sport with the ground clearance of the Forester. It does keep the Impreza's range of 500+ miles with its 33mpg/25mpg rating. But if you want orange, I believe Crosstrek is the only option. ;)
harikaried

Postby texasdiver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm not sure what qualifies as midsize for an SUV. What about the new Ford Escape? Gets great mileage: 23/33 with the new ecoboost engine. Perhaps you are looking for something bigger?
texasdiver

Postby mike143 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:Get a SpeedPass which is charged the same as cash at Exxon and Mobil. Link it to a credit card that gives you cash back on fuel purchases. Wheee! Almost as good as the lottery :D

What I do is use the PenFed card for 5% cash back on gas and don't give my business to any station that charges different prices for cash/charge. Coupled with the GasBuddy app you win all around.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
mike143

Postby edge » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 am

aja8888 wrote:
livesoft wrote:I would test drive a Mercedes GLK, Mercedes ML, a Porsche Cayenne, a Lexus RX, an Acura MDX. There are others, but except for BMWs these are the most common SUVs that I see nowadays.

I don't know where you live, but around here we see Chevrolet Equinox's, Ford Escapes, CRV's, Subaru Outback's, Kia's, Hyundai's etc, most of which are decent SUV's and priced under $30,000. I believe the GLK is near $100K?

To the OP: Take a look at the Equinox with the 4 cylinder, 182 HP engine which is rated at 25 - 32 MPG and well equipped. We are considering one or a new style Ford Escape Ecoboost (turbo 4 cylinder).

You are confusing the GL with the GLK. I found the GLK a pretty crappy ride.
edge

Postby btenny » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:58 pm

I found the Mercedes Benz new cars just over priced period. The GLK is small and rough riding and costs like a big car. The ML350 is bigger but way too expensive, something like $60K versus the competition for $30ish. From what I saw I am just not sure this "luxury" is worth the extra $30K. But I did find a good deal in used MBs.

MB used to sell a ML320 Diesel SUV/Station wagon.The last year they made them was 2012 I think. I found a nice 2009 model for $28K with like 25k miles. It has four big comfortable bucket seats and a big third row seat. It will carry 7 people comfortably. It comes with the 4Matic 4wheel drive and from reviews does wonderful in deep snow and bad roads. It is like a tank in size but gets around 24ish MPG on diesel. Oh did I mention that it is huge, something like 205 inches long.... But it drives great on the road and rides nice and is quiet. The only downside I had was poor visibility but the back up camera and side view mirrows manage this OK. I drove it and liked it a lot but it is just too big for my retired guy needs. I don't know what the reliability and maintenence costs would be on this car. But for a young family it might be a good deal.

Something to think about.
Bill
btenny

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues