Traveling with a toddler on an airplane

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Traveling with a toddler on an airplane

Postby paulsiu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 am

We're flying to visit my mom and see friends next month. This is the first time that we traveled by plane with a toddler.

1. Should I buy an extra seat for the toddler? A two year old can sit on someone's lap, but that seems dangerous. What if the plane needs emergency landing or something? If we get a seat for her, do we actually buy an airline seat or do we rent one from the airline? If we rent one from the airline, how good are they with "maintenance" on the device?

2. How do we get from airport to house? Is there some sort of portable car seat we can install on a cab or a rental car?

3. How do you transport stuff like strollers and pack and play beds? I imagine luggage check-in?

Thanks.

Paul
paulsiu

Re: Traveling with a toddler on an airplane

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:44 am

Some car seats are FAA certified. Check yours. Some airline attendants don't know this simple fact. Be prepared with a statement of certification.

Or try google. Read what the FAA says. Print this page for the flight attendant.
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
sscritic

Postby phil2008 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 am

paulsiu wrote:We're flying to visit my mom and see friends next month. This is the first time that we traveled by plane with a toddler.

1. Should I buy an extra seat for the toddler? A two year old can sit on someone's lap, but that seems dangerous. What if the plane needs emergency landing or something? If we get a seat for her, do we actually buy an airline seat or do we rent one from the airline? If we rent one from the airline, how good are they with "maintenance" on the device? - I believe after 2 you have to buy the child their own ticket. The airline will not rent you a carseat. You either need to bring your own or I have heard these work well.
http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Aviat ... ne+harness

2. How do we get from airport to house? Is there some sort of portable car seat we can install on a cab or a rental car? If you don't use your carseat on the plane you can check it so you have it when you get there. I believe most carriers waive any baggage charges for carseats. Most rental car companies will also rent you a carseat, but I'm sure the quality is hit and miss.

3. How do you transport stuff like strollers and pack and play beds? I imagine luggage check-in? When we traveled with a pack and play we checked it with our luggage. You will probably want the stroller in the airport, so you can gate check it. Ask the attendant about it when you get to your gate and they will give you a tag to put on the stroller. You will leave it right at the door of the plane and they will load it up for you and unload it when you arrive. When you get off the plane it will be right outside the door waiting.

Thanks.

Paul
phil2008

Postby German Expat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 pm

1. is your toddler already 2 ? If yes you will need to buy an extra seat. It is up to 2 years. If you have a car that is airline approved (most are) you can use it. See here:

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

2. see 1., if you buy a seat on the plane and get the car seat on board you have it with you anyway. You could also get a seat transporter, see here:

http://www.diapers.com/p/brica-roll-n-g ... ter-339197

3. Check in most of it but e.g. strollers you can 'gate check' meaning you bring it to the door of the plane and they take if off you and give it back.

Bring toys and stuff along.

We travel a lot with our son, he is 7 years now and we traveled with him 10+ hours flights at least once a year. We always bought a seat (I have a lot of airline miles and don't pay for it most of the time) on the long flights. But how long is your flight ? Flying is quite safe, there is the small chance of an incident but lap children are in higher danger during turbulence to be a loose object. At the end of the day it is your call, there are many discussions around it on traveler forums. If you can afford it I would buy an extra seat. We always did it for safety but also for comfort reasons. Airplanes tend to be packed around holidays and I rather have the extra space. Also this way you have extra under seat storage in front of your child for the diaper bag and whatever else you need to bring on board.

Statistically I think even an unbuckled child on a plane is safer then a buckled child in a car but does this mean I would not want to lower the risk of injury ? Safest is in a child seat on the plane, second is cares (http://kidsflysafe.com/) and 3rd is to use the airplanes own system but that only works well when the child is older / heavier.

After our child turned 2 we bought a cheap stroller at Target (20$), checked it at the gate and abandoned it before going home. It was usually beaten up anyway since we did like to walk and explore a lot during our trips. We also had a portable bed and checked it in when visiting family. For hotels we got their cribs.

Travel with children is not bad, just plan a lot of extra time and arrive early at the airport. Pack some toys and make sure you have food and other things with you. Also our son was sensitive to air pressure change so you might want to read into it online (he used a pacifier and later on chewed some gum).

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/ey ... _ears.html

Safe travel and don't fret much about it. Our 7 year old did probably 30 or more flights by now and is a real expert and can tell you what type of plane it is. He really liked upstairs on the 380 and the 747 and still talks about it.
German Expat

Postby smackboy1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:39 pm

How long is the flight? Here's my $0.02 from our own personal experiences with 2 kids:

- If possible, fly non-stop. Embarking/disembarking is no picnic. Plan that it will take twice as long to walk to the gate and go through TSA.

- If it's a short flight and the kid is not too fidgety flying as a lap child is OK. Nowadays the chances of lucking out and having an empty seat next to you is slim. If it's a long flight, everybody will sleep better if everybody has their own seat.

- The kid will probably be able to sleep better and will be better restrained in a car seat. Airline seats don't hold kids at all well or comfortably. An alternative is an airline seat harness which tethers your kid to the seat belt. We tried a harness and our kids squirmed around a lot. They try to climb into our laps despite being harnessed. It's not as secure as an airline seat but it's also not as bulky to travel with. Safer than just being in your lap.

- Choose plane seats carefully. Take up an entire row if possible. Have an aisle seat if possible. Children cannot not sit in emergency exit rows. The seats immediately in front of an emergency exit row typically do not recline. The last row of seats against the bulkhead so not recline. Try to sit near a bathroom if it will be a long flight where you anticipate your kid using the bathroom/diaper changes.

- If you buy the kid a plane seat and use a car/airline seat, it must be installed in the window seat or in the middle seat of the center row so it doesn't block passengers in an emergency.

- Some car seats can be used on airlines. We had several Britax's which we brought on flights. It is held in place by the lap belt. Be aware when installing it that in the narrow confines of the planes window seat it can be VERY difficult to uninstall it when the belt is cinched down tight and the buckle release is blocked. We were once on a flight where it took a flight attendant almost 30 minutes to help us release the seat belt.

- Car seats are very heavy and bulky in addition to your carry on. We bought a lightweight fold up luggage trolley and bungees to haul 2 car seats through the airport. This also helps getting down the aisle of the plane.

- At the gate, before boarding commences, ask the gate agent to let you pre-board so you can have extra time to set up the seat. When the plane lands, it's not a bad idea to just wait until everybody else disembarks before you get off.

- A stroller will reduce the time it takes to go through the airport. An fold up umbrella stroller works really well. At the gate, ask the gate agent to check the stroller. You leave it at the end of the jetway when you get onboard and pick it up at upon exiting the plane at your destination.

- Bring something for your kids to chew to help them equalize the pressure on take off and landing e.g. gummi bears, chewing gum.

- If it's a long flight, bring an extra change of clothes for the kid and even the grown ups. Somebody will spill something at some point.

- Children's car seats can be checked in at NO COST.

Good luck.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
smackboy1

Postby PowDay » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 pm

A dose of Benadryl at take off.

Just in case they have an allergic reaction to something on board. :happy
PowDay

Postby tyrion » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Good advice so far.

I have two kids, ages 5 and 7 now. We've been flying once or twice per year since they were born. I would definitely highlight the following:

Something to eat on takeoff/landing to equalize pressure. Also passes the time. Our kids rarely get candy but do get lollipops for takeoff and landing.

Check with your pediatrician on medication. Ours is pretty moderate as far as prescriptions go, but did recommend childrens benadryl before the flight.

Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Games, books, coloring, DVDs if you must. Have a variety of things to do, because your toddler will get bored.

Buy a seat if you can afford it. My kids didn't do well in carseats so we usually check those and just belt them in (once they were big enough). Keeping them from going airborne in case of turbulence is the main thing.

Car seats and strollers are free to check. So take advantage of that.
tyrion

Postby mhc » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:15 pm

See if your mom can borrow a pack'n'play or crib from a friend so you don't have to travel with one. If you think you will be making enough visits to your mom's, it might be better to just by one when you get to your mom's and leave it there for your future visits. Checked luggage fees add up quickly.
mhc

Postby texasdiver » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 pm

My wife is from Chile and for the first several years of our married life we lived in Juneau Alaska and would fly back and forth between Juneau and Santiago once or twice a year with toddlers and infants. There is probably no greater marathon air journey than from Alaska to Chile. The most direct route was:

Juneau - Seattle - Dallas - Santiago with the Dallas - Santiago leg taking 12 hours.

On one return flight around Christmas time the direct flight from Santiago was sold out and we ended up returning to Juneau on LAN Chile on a 2-day marathon as follows:

Santiago - Lima - Quito - Guayaquil - Panama City - Miami - Seattle - Juneau. We had a toddler in tow on that trip and my wife was 6 months pregnant with our 2nd child. At the Guayaquil stopover we had to deplane for 3 hours while they fumigated the plane and had to wait in an under-construction terminal wing with bare concrete floors and plastic sheeting for walls (no food, seats, or air conditioning and Guayaquil is HOT and tropical).

Our kids have all earned well over 100,000 frequent flyer miles by the age of 6 or 7 so we have a LOT of experience flying with small kids.

Recommendations:

Car seats are more comfortable and familiar for toddlers than the regular airplane seats. So they are more likely to sleep in a car seat, especially if they are used to it while driving. On the other hand, car seats are a pain to lug onto planes and some large car seats (like the Britax) won't fit on every airplane seat. If you are going to bring car seats while flying then attach luggage tags to them in the event that you have to emergency gate check them. Sometimes the airline seatbelt won't easily latch because the buckle lines up in the wrong place under the car seat. If that happens request a seatbelt extension which the airlines have for obese passengers and that will let you better lash in the car seat.

Strollers are easily gate-checked. Put a luggage tag on your stroller so you aren't dependent on the flimsy paper tag they give you.

Buy some small toy gifts and wrap them up as presents. Little cars, dolls, or whatever. You know what your kid likes. Then when you are reaching some critical point on the flight when the kid is getting restless you can whip out a suprise gift. My wife would always wrap them up because that would add to the drama and specialness of the toy. A great way to buy another hour of so of peace. She would always travel with a few suprise gifts wrapped up and tucked away for those emergency moments when the kid is about to lose it or is just getting restless as a reward for "good behavior"

Portable DVD players and other video players have gotten really cheap. Headphones and some sort of video screen are excellent for killing an hour or so. You know what your kid likes. Install a few NEW games on your iPhone perhaps if you have one as well.

The best seats for LONG flights are the bulkhead rows. But lately they seem to be reserved for disabeled. If you get a bulkhead row and grab some pillows and blankets you can make your child a nest on the floor and they will sleep comfortably all night long on long international flights. This only really works on bulkhead rows though, there isn't enough room on the floor in the regular rows.
Last edited by texasdiver on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texasdiver

Postby sscritic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

mhc wrote:it might be better to just by one when you get to your mom's and leave it there for your future visits.

Mom is moving to CA with her cat two days later plus moving two full PODS of stuff. Mom doesn't need more stuff.

You have to read all the threads to keep up with Mom. :)

P.S. My two uses of the word two may not be correct, but the gist is what it is.
sscritic

Postby Mister Whale » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Wow, great thread. I always thought you had to strap a child into a giant car seat on an airplane.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
Mister Whale

Postby livesoft » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm

If you don't get a bulkhead seat, don't forget that the seat in front of you is not a toy. So don't let child kick the back of the seat in front or even touch the back of the seat. Don't let them pound on the folddown table either. Nor play with the table. They can put stuff in the pouch, but not put stuff in and out all the time. And all that goes for adults and every passenger, too.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby Wolkenspiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm

paulsiu wrote:We're flying to visit my mom and see friends next month. This is the first time that we traveled by plane with a toddler.

1. Should I buy an extra seat for the toddler?
2. How do we get from airport to house?
3. How do you transport stuff like strollers and pack and play beds? I imagine luggage check-in?

Our 3-yr old has probably flown >100000miles so far. While he was less than 2 years old, we never bought an extra seat. Mostly because we're cheap, but I don't recall thinking "Oh man, I wish he had his own seat". There were plenty of other things I was thinking, but not that...

As mentioned before, try to get a bulkhead seat when possible.

For a short taxi ride, should we find ourselves without car seats, we just use a normal seatbelt (except in Switzerland, where the cab driver refused to take us without car seats for both kids. No choice but to take the bus, which of course doesn't even have seat belts). If we know we're going to use a rental car, we're trying to bring car seats or rent them (but check the price beforehand - I once had to rent a $40/day child seat for a $50/day rental).

Strollers one can usually gate-check, play beds go in checked luggage. If you have a shiny new stroller, don't get too attached to it - they may come out a bit worse for wear.

Bring plenty of distractions. A 12h flight may seem long to us, but it is an eternity for a toddler.
Wolkenspiel

Postby epilnk » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

We never traveled with car seats, we rented them with the car if necessary. Our primary stroller was a small but sturdy umbrella stroller which was easy to stow and gate check.

Traveling with toddlers is all about the planning. We preferred to schedule a layover on cross country flights to give the kids a break from keeping still and being quiet (my boys were very high energy). Airports are fun for toddlers, so pretend the layover is a themed amusement park, not an inconvenience to endure, and you'll all have a better time.

Choose foods for their entertainment value. Froot Loops are a special treat, a meal, and an activity (string them into bracelets, stack towers, play "checkers" on the tray, etc.) Don't serve all the food at once, stretch everything out slowly to fill the time. Remember that any toy that rolls will be need to be retrieved from the floor many many many times. A party store is a good source of surprise gifts for when patience got thin. Playdough works well (keep the bits corralled).

My #1 pro tip: buy her her very own roll of scotch tape and let her do whatever she wants with it. Nothing occupied my kids better.
My #2 pro tip: Near the end of the flight is when patience is at it's lowest. But you're giving her a lollipop for the descent anyway, so here's my secret: if she really looks likely to lose it, present her with TWO lollipops. One in each hand, different flavors. I'm willing to bet she's never experienced such indulgence before, so it will blow her little toddler mind. Who can remember to whine when holding two lollipops?
epilnk

Postby dianna » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:23 pm

epilnk wrote:We never traveled with car seats, we rented them with the car if necessary. Our primary stroller was a small but sturdy umbrella stroller which was easy to stow and gate check.

We regularly prefer our own car seats to those that the car rental places rent. With both our child and ourselves familiar with the seat and installation, we found it to be more comfortable and confident for all. Since checking a car seat is free in most/all cases, I'd check the seat that you know, even if that means buying one that is just for travel.

epilnk wrote:Traveling with toddlers is all about the planning. We preferred to schedule a layover on cross country flights to give the kids a break from keeping still and being quiet (my boys were very high energy). Airports are fun for toddlers, so pretend the layover is a themed amusement park, not an inconvenience to endure, and you'll all have a better time.

+1 on this. Coordinate either sleep on the airplane or the car ride after the airplane.

Regarding the pack and play, is it possible that your 2yo would sleep in an inflatable toddler bed instead?
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... agpspn=pla
Our daughter has slept in this in and outside the US; its easy to pack within luggage (although watch the weight limits as the electric pump is heavy).

As said before, entertainment on plane is key - stickers, crayons, paper, books, modeling clay, etc and DEFINITELY snacks and an extra change of clothes AND a pull-up diaper.

PS - if your 2yo girl is already potty-trained as ours was, please consider that she may be an exception to the seat-belt rule. In one moderately turbulent flight when our daughter announced that she had to go potty, my bewildered face must have been significant as the flight attendant came immediately to me and said, "If you think it's safe, go ahead and take her!" And we went with my understanding that I was taking the risk (not the airlines; the attendant had warned me); with loo door wide open as I crouched down on the icky floor, she had a successful trip to the bathroom and the rest of the flight was peaceful.
dianna

Postby ted123 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 am

We definitely found that, with toddlers, the most comfortable way to fly was in their own seat with a carseat installed.

One helpful hint I picked up for installing a carseat on a plane...In addition to the buckle, plane seatbelts have latches where the belt attaches to the seat. It is far easier to unlatch the belt and run it through the carseat than it is to try to run the separate ends through the carseat and buckle it.
ted123

Postby steadyeddy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:35 am

livesoft wrote:If you don't get a bulkhead seat, don't forget that the seat in front of you is not a toy. So don't let child kick the back of the seat in front or even touch the back of the seat. Don't let them pound on the folddown table either. Nor play with the table. They can put stuff in the pouch, but not put stuff in and out all the time. And all that goes for adults and every passenger, too.

A full grown man kicked the back roughly every 45 seconds during a flight last month. It was a short regional hop, and I kept telling myself that each kick would be the last, but in retrospect I can't believe I didn't say something. Frequently I find myself wishing adults had parents nearby to correct their behavior.
steadyeddy

Postby Alex Frakt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:46 am

Kids are generally happier and always safer in an FAA approved car seat on a plane. Nothing will help in a serious crash, but turbulence, evasive maneuvers, and even hard landings are much more common and can all result in serious injury to an improperly restrained passenger. And lap kids and small children in a regular airline seat are not properly constrained. We always flew with a car seat until my son got large enough that he couldn't slip out of the airline seatbelt. And If we have to rent a car at the other end, we still bring the car seat. Rental car seats are usually a bad deal, expensive to rent and of dubious safety since there is no way to tell if the protective materials have been damaged by being dropped or going through an accident.

I actually bought a seat just for airline and carpooling use after one trip spent wresting our huge regular seat (a Britax Frontier) through airports and airplanes. The current version of our airplane seat is the Radian R100. It has a steel frame, no head "wings" and the seat bottom folds up which makes for a very compact package that can be carried like a backpack. It's also narrow and the base is low which means you can still use the airplane's armrests and fully lower the tray table. I should note that even though it is more compact than most seats, it is no lightweight at 23 pounds. One tip for installing car seats on a plane (and on cars with reclining rear seats) is to recline the (airplane) seat before strapping in the car seat. Get the seatbelt as tight as you can and then pull the airplane seatback upright. This will really lock the car seat into place. Don't forget to reverse this when uninstalling or you'll never get it undone. :-) On some car seats it's also worth unlatching the sides of the fabric cover to give easier access to the belt once you've threaded it through the restraining loop.

The Cosco Scenera at around $40 for the basic black model at Walmart (up to $60 at Walmart, toyrsus, amazon etc. for versions with nicer covers) is a good budget alternative if your child is under 40 pounds and you don't want to take your own seat. It's FAA approved, gets a good safety rating from Consumer Reports and is very light at 10 pounds. The only drawbacks other than the low weight limit is that it's bulky with no easy way to carry and the shoulder straps can be a bit fiddly.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Postby denismurf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 am

Take along a bag of 100 earplugs and offer pairs to nearby passengers if the wee one erupts. The earplugs are cheap and much appreciated.

I've been there as both parent and passenger trying to sleep through a toddler's tantrum.
denismurf

Postby gator15 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:25 am

Don't overthink the situation. I have a three year old. The reality is he never sat in place regarding the multiple trips we have taken this year. Preparing for an emergency landing never crossed my mine. In fact, if you have an emergency landing you have bigger problems. My concern was always keeping him entertained throughout the flight. Like others have stated, I usually take a stroller up to the gate, then check the stroller. Upon getting on the plane, I usually give him the window seat as its easier to control him. Based on the number of hours I have on a plane, I usually put together a plan on how I will entertain him. While its great that kids fall asleep on planes, you have to prepare for the worse. I bring my books to read to him, my ipad for sesame street and other things to entertain him. I put myself in the mindset that from the time I arrive at the airport to the time I leave the airport at my arrival destination I will have to entertain him. If I prepare, there are no surprises. Welcome to parenthood. Traveling with kids can be tough. With a little preparation, it's not so bad. Good luck! Not so bad if you have a plan in place. Don't wing it. Have a plan in place so there are no surprises.
gator15

Postby 6miths » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Great advice above. We traveled repeatedly back and forth from Toronto to Dubai with 4 children ages 18 months to 6 years when we started and did it for 4 years. My advice is to always make it an adventure for the children and don't let them get the idea from you that it is anything nearly as stressful as it potentially is! Lots of distractions are a must and as much as I am not a fan of game boys, DVD players and iPads for children, this may be the exceptional circumstance. We always saw the trips as great learning and bonding opportunities and really did try to make them adventures.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Postby halfnine » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:17 pm

For one of the most thorough articles I have ever seen, might have a look here. Certainly gave me a lot to think about before we took our 24 hour flight with our under 2.
halfnine

Postby Rodc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Just too add: really think about what you need vs what first comes to mind. How long are you going to be there? Do you REALLY need a pack and play? Do you need a full sized stroller or just an umbrella stroller? Etc. Etc. Most parents travel with way more stuff than the need and it creates a lot more hassle and short tempers than you need. It also helps if mom and dad pack light as well.

If possible, take a red eye flight, and the kid will sleep through a good portion of the flight.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Postby paulsiu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 am

Well, we will be there one week and there will be no bed since mom is moving, so a pack and play will be needed. Stroller isn't really necessary. I typically carry a single small duffel bag, I pack really light. Spouse on the other hand tend toward the just in case side.

I believe th daughter should be ok on a 2-1/2 hour flight. If we are lucky, she will sleep through it. She already went on a 16 hour car trip once. She was not happy about that but bear it, but we decided to try for a seat for the toddler. We can afford it and believe that in the horrible event that there will be a bad emergency landing, the seat belt will improve chance of surviving or reducing injury.

Paul
paulsiu

Postby Rodc » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:55 am

2.5 hours should be very doable.

Different kids have very different needs, but when ours were that age we just folded up a blanket to make a pad on the floor for the kids to sleep on and put it right next to our bed. They napped on it too. Pack and play was not needed, but we did learn to never leave the house without snacks. :)

Other kids are big time wanderers and need to be confined.

Best of luck, bet it goes well.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Postby epilnk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Given the cost of checking baggage these days it might be cheaper to buy a pack and play or inexpensive toddler cot - you could order it online and have it delivered to mom's house -then leave it or donate it before you return. A women's shelter would be happy to receive a nearly new pack and play.
epilnk

Postby ualdriver » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:08 pm

My wife and I travel(ed) quite extensively with our kids. We LOVED our Sit-n-Stroll while they were young. A quick google search should find you one. It is a car seat with a retractable stroller handle and retractable wheels, so you could use the seat as both a car seat and a stroller. So when traveling, you just use the stroller function to roll right onto the airplane, retract the wheels and the handle when you get to your row, plop the stroller on the airplane seat and secure it with a seatbelt and you're good to go. Reverse the process when getting off the plane, and now you have a car seat and a stroller for the other end of your journey, too. They're a little pricey nowadays (they were only $150 a few years ago when we bought them), but you'll have little difficulty selling it when your kids outgrow it.
ualdriver

Postby Sulvar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am

If you don't want to bring your carseat on the plane, the CARES harness is a good option for securing your child in the seat. It basically turns a regular airplane seat into a 5 point harness type seat belt like car seats have.

http://kidsflysafe.com/
Sulvar

Return to Personal Consumer Issues