Vanguard versus CalPERS-- very funny

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Vanguard versus CalPERS-- very funny

Postby nonnie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 pm

CalPERS is the California Public Employee's Retirement System and my local paper had an editorial the other day on the dismal returns they earned last year-- 1.1%. The letter to the editor below appeared in today's paper. I wonder if this guy is a Boglehead?

Investment advice
EDITOR: I earned 4.8 percent on my investments in Vanguard mutual funds from July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012. I understand that CalPERS paid $1.2 billion for advice that produced a 1 percent return over the same period. I am willing to share my secrets with Cal-PERS for only $1 billion. Simply add this amount to my CalPERS retirement account. Although I am not a licensed financial adviser, my credentials include working as a rocket scientist on the Gemini and Lunar Excursion Module projects in the early 1960s.

ROBERT PLANTZ
Professor emeritus, Sonoma State University

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... ent-advice

Also today, the paper published this opinion piece by the deputy executive officer for external affairs at CalPERS.

"Your Wednesday editorial ("CalPERS must be held accountable") demonstrates a severe misunderstanding of CalPERS' pension fund investment strategy, and mischaracterizes how a single-year return will actually impact public agencies.
Allow me to set the record straight.

First off, CalPERS is a long-term investor. This concept is either ignored or misinterpreted by the media on a regular basis and is the greatest source of misunderstanding and misinformation there is."

To read more:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... erformance
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.
nonnie

Re: Vanguard versus CalPERS-- very funny

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Refer to Forum Policy

UNACCEPTABLE TOPICS

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type including oil price manipulation
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General