Money Matters with Ken Moraif

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Money Matters with Ken Moraif

Postby Watertree » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:10 pm

My brother in law lives in the Dallas metro area. He recently attended a "money matters with Ken Moraif" seminar. Moraif has a radio show in the Dallas and Houston metro areas. He also has a website moneymatters.net. I looked up his website, specializes in retirement planning with a "buy, hold, and sell philosophy. A market timer investor with lots of disclaimers.

Brother in law is 65 years old and frustrated that his mega corp 401K has not grown substantially. He is looking for investment opportunities outside of his 401k. I recommended to him to contact Scott Burns and his Asset Builder advisory firm in the Dallas area.

Does anybody know anything good or bad about Money Matters with Ken Moraif advisory firm?

Thanks
Watertree
Watertree

Re: Money Matters with Ken Moraif

Postby Stryker » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Watertree wrote:My brother in law lives in the Dallas metro area. He recently attended a "money matters with Ken Moraif" seminar. Moraif has a radio show in the Dallas and Houston metro areas. He also has a website moneymatters.net. I looked up his website, specializes in retirement planning with a "buy, hold, and sell philosophy. A market timer investor with lots of disclaimers.

Brother in law is 65 years old and frustrated that his mega corp 401K has not grown substantially. He is looking for investment opportunities outside of his 401k. I recommended to him to contact Scott Burns and his Asset Builder advisory firm in the Dallas area.

Does anybody know anything good or bad about Money Matters with Ken Moraif advisory firm?

Thanks
Watertree

I guess if you believe in market timing. I don't.
Stryker

Postby SurfCityBill » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Watertree wrote:

I truly hope your brother in law is thinking with a clear head. At 65 years old an investment decision based on frustration may be a recipe for disaster. In other words if it turns out to be unsuccessful, he doesn't have much time to re-coup his loses. Just make sure he's aware that there is a difference between investing and speculating.

-B
SurfCityBill

Postby Ne'er-do-well » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 am

I don’t know anything about Moraif but I bet a component of Moraif’s investment opportunity for your brother will be some type of high sales commission annuity that at best might yield mediocre returns. Since you mentioned Scott Burns direct your brother to Mr. Burns’ website where your brother can read about the perils of equity index annuities or fixed index annuities or whatever the marketing people have re-named them as. Due to your brother's frustration he is ripe to hear the siren call of the seduction of annuities.

http://assetbuilder.com/blogs/tags/Annu ... ?GroupID=6
Ne'er-do-well

Postby DFAMAN » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 pm

I live in Dallas. This guy bombards the airwaves every week with his program on numerous am radio stations. His show features goofy sound effects, and he pushes seminars offering free "oatmeal chocolate chunk" cookies. I occasionally enjoy listening to him, just so I can shake my head that people would believe that he has some sort of system that can successfully determine when to "get in" and "get out" of the market. On each program that I have heard, he has touted that his clients were out of the equity markets from late 2007 to June of 2009 - but I haven't usually heard him tout that he also pulled his clients out of the market in 2010 and 2011 during periods that meant his clients missed significant runups in stock markets (and then he had them buy back in at higher prices when markets were up). From information on his website, it appears he advised clients to sell on June 8, 2010 (S&P was at 1,062) and then advised them to buy back in on October 6, 2010 (S&P was at 1159). In 2011, he advised clients to sell on August 5 (S&P at 1199) and then advised clients to buy back in on January 19, 2012 (S&P was at 1314).

In my opinion, if he could predict the future with any degree of accuracy on a consistent basis, he'd be a billionaire investing his own money, rather than bothering to make a living getting fees from middle class retirees. According to the brochure for his firm filed with the SEC, they generally charge a fee of 1% of assets under management - I personally wouldn't have enjoyed the "privilege" in 2010 and 2011 of paying 1% for having him sit me in cash or fixed and miss the vast majority of the 28% run up in S&P from his 1062 sell point to today's 1362 close.

If you can redirect your brother in law to Assetbuilder (or to numerous other people in the Dallas area who offer low-cost, sound advice that doesn't rely on active management or market timing), I believe you will be doing him a service.
DFAMAN

Postby kenwollitz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 pm

I also live in the Dallas area, and have listened to Ken Moraif for several years. His show is entertaining and can be informative (trusts and such). I have to ignore the part where he says he can't understand why people stay in the market when it "is going down".

DFAMAN summarized Moraif's position well. The only thing I would add is that he has lately stated that what he does is not market timing. I'm sure this is in response to the many complaints on the web about his market timing. I believe his definition of market timing is trying to predict the future based on emotion. He, of course, uses statistics, and thus is not "market timing".

Watertree, you may want to inform your brother-in-law that Moraif will claim that he does not market time, but the standard definition of marketing timing does include Moraif's system.

Moraif has been very successful and is probably very persuasive. Apparently there is a big audience for his product.

Let me add in this, my first post, that Bogleheads is the greatest, and I can't thank all the participants enough.
kenwollitz

Postby chaz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Tell your brother in law to read this forum's wiki.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby Bogle_Feet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I'm listening to this salesman / "radio host" on AM radio in Los Angeles right now. Whenever I hear the words "free seminar" I run for the hills. I thought for sure this guy was selling annuities but upon further review I guess he's selling market timing. To quote Burton G. Malkiel... No one can consistently time the market, and you are more likely to get it wrong than right." I still suspect that he might be looking to push annuities simply because he's targeting people nearing retirement and he's doing free seminars.

The other thing I noticed about this guy is that he's IGNORING diversification into bonds. He's preaching to ignorant people who put 100% of their money in stocks. If you want low risk then understand that the lowest risk portfolio from 1970 - 2010 was 28% stocks and 72% bonds. Going forward over the next 10 - 20 years I would have a little more exposure to stocks because interest rates are so low, but certainly you don't want to abandon bonds.
Bogle_Feet

Postby Tycoon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:15 pm

I haven't caught his broadcast the last few weekends, but he was predicting a downturn in 2015. Oh, and there's the constant refrain that buy-and-hold is dead. If I hear about his world famous cookies one more time....
A person would be better served reading a few good investment books than giving Mr. Moraif 1% of their money.

Do any of the Metroplex Bogleheads remember Kim Snider and her promise of guaranteed returns? 13% guaranteed if I remember correctly.
Tycoon

Postby tibbitts » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 pm

I've heard his radio program, and understand the appeal of his approach to the general public, particularly after two severe equity market downturns in the past 15 years. His market seems to be people who already have enough to retire even without any additional gains, but not enough to tolerate significant losses from what they've already accumulated, and who are looking for an alternative to annuities.
tibbitts

Postby Bogle_Feet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:04 pm

tibbitts wrote:I've heard his radio program, and understand the appeal of his approach to the general public, particularly after two severe equity market downturns in the past 15 years. His market seems to be people who already have enough to retire even without any additional gains, but not enough to tolerate significant losses from what they've already accumulated, and who are looking for an alternative to annuities.

Yeah. It's called diversification into bonds. When stocks fall money runs to the safety of bonds.
ETF's = 100% liquid.
Annuities = Your money locked in prison for life if not for good, taxed at a higher rate.
Bogle_Feet

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General