Joe Gandolfo PhD & Associates

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Joe Gandolfo PhD & Associates

Postby Howard Donnelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Has anyone used Joe Gandolfo PhD & Associates in Lakeland, FL for tax planning and/or estate planning? If so, would you recommend them?
http://joegphd.com/
Howard Donnelly

Re: Joe Gandolfo PhD & Associates

Postby craveonewave » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:12 pm

I wouldn't be getting advice on tax issues from a person who appears to not be a CPA or tax attorney with an LLM in taxation. I wouldn't be getting estate planning advice from a person who appears to not be an attorney who has expertise in estate planning issues.

But that's just me.
craveonewave

Postby abuss368 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Look for a qualified CPA.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby docneil88 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:23 pm

craveonewave wrote:I wouldn't be getting advice on tax issues from a person who appears to not be a CPA or tax attorney with an LLM in taxation. I wouldn't be getting estate planning advice from a person who appears to not be an attorney who has expertise in estate planning issues.

For tax planning and estate tax planning, an attorney who specializes in taxation and has an LLM in taxation with an "A" peer-review rating from martindale.com is, for me, the gold standard. (I don't know of any peer-ratings for CPAs.) Learn as much as you can from books (e.g. Nolo Press books), prepare your questions well, focus on the key issues, and the attorney's time may well be worth far more than what you pay. Who cares about Joe Gandolfo's Ph.D? Best, Neil, Ph.D.
docneil88

Postby Alex Frakt » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 pm

From his site
The main reason for Joe Gandolfo's enormous success is that he sells ideas - tax saving ideas. In fact, he saves his clients so much money that his one time, lifetime fee is more than paid for by immediate savings. He can eliminate probate fees (6% to 22% of estate) and estate taxes (45% of estate) at death without buying life insurance or annuities. Attorneys and CPAs tend to be conservative by nature. If they are handling your income tax planning and estate planning, they're very possibly overlooking many opportunities.

My translation:
We charge a big upfront fee to give you a list of tax shelters that qualified professionals won't touch with a ten foot red pencil.

Alex M.S. B.A. National Merit Scholar, Perfect Attendance 5th Grade
Alex Frakt
Founder

Postby FabLab » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:From his site
The main reason for Joe Gandolfo's enormous success is that he sells ideas - tax saving ideas. In fact, he saves his clients so much money that his one time, lifetime fee is more than paid for by immediate savings. He can eliminate probate fees (6% to 22% of estate) and estate taxes (45% of estate) at death without buying life insurance or annuities. Attorneys and CPAs tend to be conservative by nature. If they are handling your income tax planning and estate planning, they're very possibly overlooking many opportunities.

My translation:
We charge a big upfront fee to give you a list of tax shelters that qualified professionals won't touch with a ten foot red pencil.

You mean to say that 6th grade saw less than perfect attendance? The horrors :D
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
FabLab

Postby Taylor Larimore » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:03 pm

"The main reason for Joe Gandolfo's enormous success is that he sells ideas - tax saving ideas. In fact, he saves his clients so much money that his one time, lifetime fee is more than paid for by immediate savings."

Not always.

Settlement of the Gandolfo litigation ≈ Petitioner relied on the advice of her financial and tax adviser, and invested in horse-breeding syndications. Her investment collapsed, and she claimed an ordinary loss to reduce her 1986 gross income (in an amount equal to the adjusted basis of her investment). Subsequently, petitioner sued her adviser and the complaint contained allegations of wrongdoing by Gandolfo, but did not specifically seek damages for personal injury. Petitioner's loss was substantial in relation to her total assets and sources of income, and it placed her in a difficult financial situation. These financial reverses caused petitioner to experience extreme emotional stress and caused her to seek various types of medical treatment (which is more fully addressed in the "Medical Expenses" section of this opinion). In the final negotiation and resolution of petitioner's claim, Gandolfo agreed to settle petitioner's claim for an amount that was close to double her reported tax-cost basis for the investment. The settlement document contained the statement that the amount to be received by petitioner was for but "not limited to * * * personal injuries, emotional distress, loss of reputation and damage to business reputation".

http://taxpravo.ru/sudebnie_dela/statya ... Memorandum

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby mephistophles » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Joe Gandolfo was an incredibly successful life insurance salesman who went on to bigger, but not necessarily better things:

"When Joe Gandolfo, a life insurance salesman was asked how he had sold over one billion dollars of life insurance in 1975, he said that all it takes is "understanding people." Although Joe's response makes selling seem simple, his formula for success is one that can be recommended to you without hesitation, because it will work well for you as it does for insurance agents or for any sales representative for that matter"

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/162265
mephistophles

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:32 pm

:D :D :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Settlement of the Gandolfo litigation ≈ Petitioner relied on the advice of her financial and tax adviser, and invested in horse-breeding syndications. Her investment collapsed

From the Tax Court opinion linked by Taylor.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
ruralavalon

Postby yobria » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:From his site
Attorneys and CPAs tend to be conservative by nature. If they are handling your income tax planning and estate planning, they're very possibly overlooking many opportunities.

Yes, when it comes to tax dodging, the last thing you want is conservative...
yobria

Postby mlebuf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Everyone has a right to my opinion and here it is:
If you want a good estate-planning attorney, get a referral from someone whom you know and who is qualified to recommend a good estate-planning attorney. Such a person might be a CPA or an attorney that you know to be trustworthy. Simply having a Ph.D. means nothing. Ph. D. in what? From what school? When? I've seen too many speakers with mail order Ph.D.'s and other bogus credentials.

I looked at Gandolfo's website and it's very vague. No mention of specific qualifications. It just talks about what great work he does and how successful he has been. He may be a great estate planner but his website reads more like an infomercial.

I have a Ph.D. and I'm wonderful too. Just ask me. However I don't feel qualified to give estate-planning advice to anyone anymore than I feel qualified to do brain surgery. Those are complex jobs for qualified experts with bona fide credentials.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
mlebuf

Postby nisiprius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:51 pm

ruralavalon wrote:

:D :D :D
But did he get 97% in the final exams at the Botswana Secretarial College?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby momar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Anyone who puts PhD after his name is untrustworthy.

Just like all the people running around without MDs insisting you call them Dr. So and so.

Dr. momar PhD
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
momar

Postby nisiprius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:08 pm

I've always like the title page of a once-classic and very funny book, 1066 And All That: A Memorable History of England. It reads:

by

Walter Carruthers Sellar, Aegrot: Oxon:

and

Robert Julian Yeatman, Failed M.A., etc. Oxon:

Illustrated by

John Reynolds, Gent.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General