The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

William Bernstein recommends The Three Fund Portfolio

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

William Bernstein is a very respected physician, adviser and author of six highly praised investment books. His seventh, and latest book, If You Can. How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly begins with this question:
Would you believe me if I told you that there's an investment strategy that a seven-year-old could understand, will take you fifteen minutes of work per year, outperform 90% of finance professionals in the long run, and make you a millionaire over time?

Well, it is true, and here it is: Start by saving 15% of your salary at age 25 into a 401(k) plan, an IRA, or a taxable account (or all three). Put equal amounts of that 15% into just three different mutual funds:

* A U.S. total stock market index fund.
* An international total stock market index fund.
* A U.S. total bond market index fund.
Sound advice from Bill Bernstein.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: The Three Fund Portfolio

Post by LadyGeek »

I should mention that William Bernstein's book is a FREE download. See the wiki: Books: recommendations and reviews, 2nd paragraph.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

LadyGeek wrote:I should mention that William Bernstein's book is a FREE download. See the wiki: Books: recommendations and reviews, 2nd paragraph.
Free for prime members, but .99 isn't much to complain about!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

On Amazon.com, it's 0.99 (with an occasional sale at 0.00). However, it's totally free from his website.

Click on the the wiki link: Free download, which goes to his website. It's the 3rd paragraph under the book cover.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

It would be nice to be 25 years old now and purchase the 3 funds over time.
LHerr

Post by LHerr »

In addition to investing in three funds, I would add a risk reduction model to accompany this approach to investing. Sometime over the next few weeks I'll run an analysis to explain what I mean by reducing portfolio risk.

BTW, my three securities of choice are: VTI, VEU, and BND.

Physlab
[OT link removed by admin LadyGeek]
HawaiiBrewer

Post by HawaiiBrewer »

I learned of the 3 fund portfolio only after having my "Big House" broker's people create a suggested portfolio that would have cost me $18,000+ a year for them to manage for me. :shock: I turned to the internet and found this site, built up confidence with the support of Taylor, et al and have almost cleaned out my "Big House" account and moved it to Vanguard and a 5 Fund plus "cash" portfolio. It's only grown 5% since I started the move a year ago, but I sleep well knowing I'm covered in all market situations....because I started saving when I was 25 I can now be heavy into the capital preservation mode. In this first year, interestingly, my AA has changed less than 1% in each category, hence no rebalancing.
25% domestic stocks, 10% non-US stocks, 29% bonds, 30% "no risk CD's, Savings Bonds, Mny Market, 5% REIT, 1% cash. Just retired in June at 63 yrs old and hope to delay SS until way after 66 seeing how its my only inflation indexed "fixed investment".

Life is good thanks to the BH portfolio and KISS philosophy.

Aloha
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there
columbia

Post by columbia »

Taylor,

If I may ask, at what age did you add TIPS to your portfolio?
Alternately, is there any rule of thumb for when investors should seriously consider the idea?

Thanks
fourwedge

Post by fourwedge »

Taylor added tips??? When, I must have missed something. That would be a fourth fund, wouldn't it?
Max out your tax sheltered retirement accounts with inexpensive, well diversified, index funds and you will beat 90% of all investors.
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

I have been doing the three fund portfolio for a number of years now. I do not worry if the market goes up or down. I do not care what all of the talking heads say about the market. I am not involved in the angst, and I will look at my portfolio in January to decide if I will rebalance, do a Roth conversion etc and be done with it for another year.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Columbia:
If I may ask, at what age did you add TIPS to your portfolio?
I added Vanguard's TIPS fund (VIPSX) shortly after its inception in June, 2000. I was age 76.
Alternately, is there any rule of thumb for when investors should seriously consider the idea?
There is no "rule of thumb." The expertly designed Vanguard Target Fund 2015 is the youngest target date fund containing Short-Term TIPS (VTAPX) -- less than 8% of the portfolio. Target 2015 is recommended for investors age 62-66.

If I could start over, I would probably not add additional funds to The Three Fund Portfolio.

Best wishes.
Taylor
b767capt

Post by b767capt »

Taylor or someone else, can you tell me what the three fund portfolio would have paid out in Dividends and Interest, year to date 2014, on a 1 million dollar portfolio. 60/40 AA.
Thanks
CABob

Post by CABob »

columbia wrote:Alternately, is there any rule of thumb for when investors should seriously consider the idea?
Not a rule of thumb, but, I am lead to believe that as long as one has a significant percentage of equities in portfolio their growth will reflect inflation and therefore TIPS are not needed. Someone with a small percentage of stocks should perhaps consider TIPS. Where is the dividing line? I don't know, but, would proposed 50%. If one holds less that 50% stocks their bond portfolio should include TIPS.
Bob
columbia

Post by columbia »

Thanks for your responses, Taylor and CABob.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

The Best Fund for a Passive Allocation to U.S. Equities

Bogleheads:

Michael Rawson on Morningstar Research Team writes:
Picking the Best ETFs:
This list (6 total market ETFs) really has no bad options, although I do have my favorites. I like Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) because of its low expense ratio, low trading costs, tight tracking, broadest coverage, historical tax efficiency, and excellent stewardship from Vanguard. (underline mine)
Finding the Best Fund for a Passive Allocation to U.S. Equities

Best wishes.
Taylor
kkhanmd

Post by kkhanmd »

For a 3 fund portfolio, how do we know if it contains the right mix of small, mid and large caps? For eg. I have VTSAX, if I am correct it has 65 % Large cap, 28 % Mid -cap and 7% Small cap. If I follow three fund portfolio, how do I know, 1) 7% small cap is right for me? 2) How does the fund itself determines 7% small cap is what they should have?

K
tj

Post by tj »

kkhanmd wrote:For a 3 fund portfolio, how do we know if it contains the right mix of small, mid and large caps? For eg. I have VTSAX, if I am correct it has 65 % Large cap, 28 % Mid -cap and 7% Small cap. If I follow three fund portfolio, how do I know, 1) 7% small cap is right for me? 2) How does the fund itself determines 7% small cap is what they should have?

K
Market weight. The market decides.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

kkhanmd wrote:For a 3 fund portfolio, how do we know if it contains the right mix of small, mid and large caps? For eg. I have VTSAX, if I am correct it has 65 % Large cap, 28 % Mid -cap and 7% Small cap. If I follow three fund portfolio, how do I know, 1) 7% small cap is right for me? 2) How does the fund itself determines 7% small cap is what they should have?

K
The fund invests in the total (cap weighted) market, so there is no wiggle room to tilt to some segment or another. It is what it is.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
Pocket Cruiser

Post by Pocket Cruiser »

b767capt wrote:Taylor or someone else, can you tell me what the three fund portfolio would have paid out in Dividends and Interest, year to date 2014, on a 1 million dollar portfolio. 60/40 AA.
Thanks
Year to the day of your post, 10/22/2014, if you bought all shares on the first trading day of the year on 1/2/2014:
Distributions from a $1MM 60/40 portfolio consisting of 30% VTSAX, 30% VTIAX, 40% VBTLX, totaled $19,397.21.
Distributions from a $1MM 60/40 portfolio consisting of 45% VTSAX, 15% VTIAX, 40% VBTLX, totaled $17,822.28.

With the 3 fund portfolio, you tailor your domestic/international split to suit yourself. Therefore, distributions will vary from one portfolio to the other.

VBTLX distributions: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=4
VTIAX ditributionns: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=4
VTSAX distributions: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=4
b767capt

Post by b767capt »

Pocket Cruiser,
Thanks very much for looking that up.
My advisor thinks he can beat that by buying more dividend/interest producing type ETF's and Index funds.
Since income is very important in retirement I'm worried about the three fund producing enough income.
What say you Bogleheads?
Pocket Cruiser

Post by Pocket Cruiser »

b767capt wrote:Pocket Cruiser,
Thanks very much for looking that up.
My advisor thinks he can beat that by buying more dividend/interest producing type ETF's and Index funds.
Since income is very important in retirement I'm worried about the three fund producing enough income.
What say you Bogleheads?
Anybody can buy products that produce more current income. They buy riskier assets. Current income, meaning because of the increased risk, it may not last your lifetime, or even 5 years. It might, though. That's the risk they will take.

That's not to say that the 3 fund portfolio IS NOT risky. It is. Dividends were cut by 25% in the 08-09 crash. They were cut in half during the Great Depression.
However, most portfolios that yield more than what the 3 fund produces probably does so with additional risk. At least, that's what people say in these forums and books recommended by people in these forums.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

b767capt wrote: My advisor thinks he can beat that by buying more dividend/interest producing type ETF's and Index funds.
Perhaps he can beat a market portfolio -- but it is unlikely. For example, for the 10-years, 2002-2013, the 3-fund portfolio outperformed managed portfolio's 87.7% of the time. Author Rick Ferri, CFA, explains in this research paper:

A Case For Index Fund Portfolios
b767capt wrote: Since income is very important in retirement I'm worried about the three fund producing enough income. What say you Bogleheads?
Read this link and the Conclusion below: Spending From a Portfolio: Implications of a Total-Return Approach Versus an Income Approach for Taxable Investors

"Compared with the income-only approach, the total-return approach is likelier to increase the longevity of the portfolio, increase its tax-efficiency, and reduce the number of times the portfolio needs to be re-balanced. In addition, for most investors, a total-return approach can produce the same cash flow as an income-only approach with no decrease in return and lower tax-liability."

Best wishes.
Taylor
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Pocket Cruiser wrote: Anybody can buy products that produce more current income. They buy riskier assets. Current income, meaning because of the increased risk, it may not last your lifetime, or even 5 years. It might, though. That's the risk they will take.
Jack Bogle noted on a recent interview that the further out on a tree branch an investor goes, the higher the chance the branch will snap and the investor will crash. I think of this analogy when looking at risky asset classes such as international and emerging market bonds.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
b767capt

Post by b767capt »

My entire portfolio is from IRA and 401k.
Will that link apply to that?
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"Help with Personal Investments"

b767capt wrote:My entire portfolio is from IRA and 401k.
Will that link apply to that?
b767capt:

I believe that my links, above, apply except for the "tax-efficiency" part.

Please post questions about your personal portfolio on the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
kkhanmd

Post by kkhanmd »

Are REITS, TIPS included in three fund portfolios according to their market caps or they missing from it?
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

kkhanmd wrote:Are REITS, TIPS included in three fund portfolios according to their market caps or they missing from it?
kkhanmd:

REITS are included. TIPS are not.

Best wishes.
Taylor
kkhanmd

Post by kkhanmd »

1) what about MLPs? 2) When should one add TIPS to the portfolio? Are TIPS needed if you have bonds?
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Re: The Three Fund Portfolio "Efficiency"

Most portfolios that yield more than what the 3 fund produces probably does so with additional risk.
Broad market index funds in The Three Fund Portfolio are Efficient in the sense that no other stock portfolio can have lower risk with higher expected return.

Three Proofs that TSM is Efficient

Best wishes.
Taylor
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Advantages of Fewer Funds.

kkhanmd wrote:1) what about MLPs? 2) When should one add TIPS to the portfolio? Are TIPS needed if you have bonds?
kkhanmd:

MLP's (Master Limited Partnerships) are not included. The Three Fund Portfolio is recommended by many authorities (page 1) for its performance and simplicity. Some investors, hoping to "beat the market," may add TIPS and other funds with accompanying complexity.

Fewer funds result in a simpler portfolio with numerous advantages:

* Fewer funds mean larger funds; therefore, earlier eligibility for premium services (Admiral, Voyager).

* Larger funds usually have lower expense ratios, less turnover costs and better tax-efficiency

* Easier to manage by the shareholder, spouse, caregivers and heirs.

* Avoidance of low-balance fees.

* Less distortion from contributions and withdrawals.

* Less re-balancing.

* Less chance of errors.

* Easier tax-preparation.

* Less paperwork, storage, etc..

* Less stress and never a fear of under-performing the market.

* More free-time with family and friends.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success. When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one." -- Jack Bogle
Best wishes.
Taylor
b767capt

Post by b767capt »

Thanks Taylor,
I will post over there. Thanks for ref the article.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

abuss368 wrote:
Pocket Cruiser wrote: Anybody can buy products that produce more current income. They buy riskier assets. Current income, meaning because of the increased risk, it may not last your lifetime, or even 5 years. It might, though. That's the risk they will take.
Jack Bogle noted on a recent interview that the further out on a tree branch an investor goes, the higher the chance the branch will snap and the investor will crash. I think of this analogy when looking at risky asset classes such as international and emerging market bonds.

Abuss, great quote! Good thing to keep in mind when people look to eek out more returns (regardless of if its equity, stock, domestic, foreign, corporate, muni, etc.). It's not that you can't do those things, but as another poster said, it's the result of taking on more risk. Even dialing up the risk, I would rather do some with the simply approach of the Three Fund Portfolio rather than one that takes too many levels and components that I stop enjoying my life or not spending the time to do investing right.
kkhanmd

Post by kkhanmd »

BrandonBogle wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

Abuss, great quote! Good thing to keep in mind when people look to eek out more returns (regardless of if its equity, stock, domestic, foreign, corporate, muni, etc.). It's not that you can't do those things, but as another poster said, it's the result of taking on more risk. Even dialing up the risk, I would rather do some with the simply approach of the Three Fund Portfolio rather than one that takes too many levels and components that I stop enjoying my life or not spending the time to do investing right.

This brings the question, would the risk be even further reduced if you also have TIPS, REITS and MLPs in your portfolios? If a three fund portfolio existed that included TIPS and MLPs (REITS as Taylor said are already included), would you buy that three fund portfolio over the current three fund portfolio?
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Morningstar: "Three Funds You Can Hold Forever."

Bogleheads:

Morningstar recommends three Vanguard index funds that can be held 'forever':
Vanguard Total Stock Market (VTI) or (VTSAX)
This total market tracker is the consummate core buy-and-hold investment for investors with long time horizons. It offers exposure to U.S. stocks of all sizes and styles, and could reasonably serve as an investor's sole equity fund. Ultralow costs, for both the ETF and the traditional index-fund alternative, provide a long-term tailwind.

Vanguard Total International Stock Market (VXUS) or (VTIAX)
The foreign-stock counterpart to Vanguard Total Stock Market Index, this fund provides exposure to all manner of foreign stocks, from developed-markets giants like Toyota (TM) and Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) to small-cap and emerging-markets names. Low expenses--surprise surprise--burnish its appeal.

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index (BND) or (VBTLX)
Experts may debate whether the Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, which this fund tracks, is representative of the U.S. bond market, but there can be little doubt that these funds--both the ETF and traditional index mutual fund--provide a lot of diversification in a single, low-cost shot. The fund has held its ground reliably when equities have hit the skids, and that uncorrelated performance pattern is a key reason investors hold bonds.
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/ ... ?id=673342

Good news for Three Fund Portfolio investors.

Best wishes.
Taylor
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

kkhanmd wrote: This brings the question, would the risk be even further reduced if you also have TIPS, REITS and MLPs in your portfolios? If a three fund portfolio existed that included TIPS and MLPs (REITS as Taylor said are already included), would you buy that three fund portfolio over the current three fund portfolio?
Hi kkhanmd,

I would encourage you to take the time to read through this thread to better understand the advantages of The Three Fund Portfolio. It will be time well invested. This thread should clear up and confusion regarding REITs, MLPs, and TIPS.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
iw90qkmq

Post by iw90qkmq »

I stick with 90% VT (total world stock) en and 10% BND (total bond market).

Perhaps a value tilt in the future when a good total world value fund will become available for low cost. Why is it still not there?!!
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Wrong topic

iw90qkmq wrote:I stick with 90% VT (total world stock) en and 10% BND (total bond market).

Perhaps a value tilt in the future when a good total world value fund will become available for low cost. Why is it still not there?!!
iw90qkmq:

This thread is about The Three Fund Portfolio. Please ask your question HERE

Taylor
iw90qkmq

Re: Wrong topic

Post by iw90qkmq »

Hi Taylor

thanks for reminding, the question just popped up. I will post it in the other thread.
Taylor Larimore wrote:
iw90qkmq wrote:I stick with 90% VT (total world stock) en and 10% BND (total bond market).

iw90qkmq:

This thread is about The Three Fund Portfolio. Please ask your question HERE

Taylor
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

No International Bonds ?

(Just askin)
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

^ The case for international bonds is surprisingly weak. This white paper from Vanguard claims that splitting bonds between domestic and international reduces risk about .2% for a 60/40 portfolio. This white paper puts the cost drag of hedging for a bond fund at .2%. That means that Vanguard's 60/40 investor is giving up 7 basis points in annualized return for a 20 basis point reduction in volatility. That's not necessarily a terrible trade. But it's not a good enough trade IMO to merit adding yet another fund to your portfolio.
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

We would like to simplify our investments but we have some substantial unrealized CG in our taxable stock mutual fund holdings.

Michigan also adds another 4.25% state tax on any CG. Our Fed tax bracket is 15% and we are both retired (age 55 and 62).

Is there a workable strategy to accomplish this 3 fund strategy in our scenario ?
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen (RIP)
tj

Post by tj »

tommoran2 wrote:We would like to simplify our investments but we have some substantial unrealized CG in our taxable stock mutual fund holdings.

Michigan also adds another 4.25% state tax on any CG. Our Fed tax bracket is 15% and we are both retired (age 55 and 62).

Is there a workable strategy to accomplish this 3 fund strategy in our scenario ?
What mutual funds do you own? They may or may not be good enough to warrant keeping and redirecting dividends you don't spend to the broad indexes.
pingo

Post by pingo »

@tommoran2: It would be best to post the question along with all the relevant information per general recommendations for asking portfolio questions, but it is possible to pay zero federal capital gains taxes (within limits) when one is in the 15% bracket.

As for a workable plan, more details are in order and that should be done in a separate thread with the above recommended financial details.
Last edited by pingo on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To deep dive into details, I recommend starting a new thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum using the Asking Portfolio Questions.

Update: pingo beat me to the post.
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

tj wrote:
tommoran2 wrote:We would like to simplify our investments but we have some substantial unrealized CG in our taxable stock mutual fund holdings.

What mutual funds do you own? They may or may not be good enough to warrant keeping and redirecting dividends you don't spend to the broad indexes.

Funds owned are VPCCX PrimeCap Core and VWIAX Wellesley
pingo

Post by pingo »

@ LadyGeek: A rare occurrence, indeed. But It always sounds better coming from you. :wink:
Last edited by pingo on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan »

LadyGeek wrote:To deep dive into details, I recommend starting a new thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum using the Asking Portfolio Questions.

Update: pingo beat me to the post.

OK. Will do ...
kolea

Post by kolea »

Pocket Cruiser wrote: However, most portfolios that yield more than what the 3 fund produces probably does so with additional risk. At least, that's what people say in these forums and books recommended by people in these forums.
The converse is also of course true - that the three fund portfolio perhaps has more risk than justifies its use. At least for those of us that are shy of risk.

A couple of data points to consider:
- VTIAX (Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares) has the highest Vanguard risk index (5)
- VTIAX has a low Sharpe ratio - 0.70 - compared to the Sharpe ratio of 1.96 for VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares).
- VTIAX has a poor tax-cost ratio (1.40) compared to that of VTSAX (0.79)
- VTIAX is highly correlated with VTSAX (at least historically it has been)

Bottom line is there is more risk with a three fund portfolio than a two fund portfolio. The three-fund strategy puts a lot of weight on international equities. Is that justifiable? Each investor of course needs to weigh the risk/reward for any investment strategy and make his own assessment as to what is right for him (or her). My point here is that I do not think the three fund portfolio is necessarily a slam-dunk decision for everyone.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The discussion on risks of 3-fund vs. 2-fund portfolios has been split into a new thread: Risk of Three-Fund Portfolio vs. Two-Fund Portfolio

Please continue risk comments in that thread.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Three Fund Portfolio Tax Efficiency

Bogleheads:

Vanguard has posted "Year-End Capital-Gain Estimates" for the three funds in the Three Fund Portfolio:

Total U.S. Stock Market Index Fund: "None"
Total International Stock Index Fund: "None"
Total Bond Market Index Fund: "0.28%" *

* Total Bond Market Index Fund should normally be in tax-advantaged accounts.
The recent round of distributions argues that if investors want to help protect against unwanted distributions, their best defense will be broad-market equity exchange-traded funds or index funds, which tend to distribute few, if any capital gains. -- Morningstar Article
Best wishes.
Taylor